1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How I Saved History (Fate/Grand Order SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Charles Flynn, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Limbo

Limbo God knows I was just trolling, right?

I'd be weirded out by it and suspicious. It's incredibly OOC for her given she was a spy and a damn good one. I'm fairly sure Lancelot wasn't the first person to be nice to her, despite how bad her life was. Not getting attached to your mark was kind of rule no. 1 of being a good spy.

I'm calling it here, there was some fuckery going on that caused her to turn on Flynn because, again, this is fairly OOC.

2. EVA-Saiyajin

EVA-Saiyajin Connoisseur.

Arondight is pretty absurd on Lancelot. Doesn’t help one of their biggest hitters, Siegfried, would have been more vulnerable to it.

3. qOwOp

qOwOp Getting out there.

Lmao. Cursed Arm got favorable treatment in this arc.

Also, I never said anything about sacrificing anything physically.

This chapter was pretty funny. Good old TALK LOUD AND FAST scam at it's best. Pull them along before they realize you just fed them a bunch of bullshit. Literally almost none of that speech was true, and if you're the kind of person to say "well technically..." then the speech was true but worthless.

Humanity hasn't given Lancelot shit, nor has Lancelot sworn any fealty to humanity. The speech should be even more worthless to Lancelot if you consider that he was an orphan raised by the Lady of the Lake, noticeably not a human, and then went on to serve Arthur, who was less of a human and more of a robot Dovahkiin. Humans then went on to be responsible for everything bad to happen to him ever, as then everything he spent his life devoted to imploded.

The fact that humans decided that his life made a cool story, completely unintentionally making him a Heroic Spirit, doesn't mean he owes them anything.

Another thing is that you can't betray that which you were never an ally of, also they have to exist. Like anyone truly expects Lancelot to pop up out of nowhere and save them in the modern age.

Better run Lancelot ragged without giving him a chance to think.

Its really convenient for Flynn that most of his major threats weren't independent thinkers and could easily be drawn to whatever tune his ass blew out.

4. Silver W. King

Silver W. King King of Adventures

The thing is, as much as it might annoy Charles, he can't afford to kill Mata Hari, as it would make his new ally, Lancelot, turn on him on the spot, so the most he can do is admonish her and tell her to leave and stay way for the rest of the Singularity.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Great chapter as usual.

Charlie is really good at this manipulation thing.

I'm still hoping for them to summon Machiavelli.

Possibly, but a think instead if Scoundrel, he'll be called Bastard.

People can't always remain professional all the time.

He may not have been the only one to be nice to her, but the others probably weren't literal knights in shining armour, the kind a girl like her may have dreamed to marry.

The thing with Cursed Arm may be the first time he's actually let someone close get away with their shit.

Lancelot may also feel that he owes humans for making him a Heroic Spirit, even if you don't think so.

This, plus the guilt of serving the Lion King, was enough to get him to turn.

Also what could he sacrifice that isn't physical?

He can't sacrifice anything from before Chaldea, like family, friends, pets, since everything from that time is dead.

6. qOwOp

qOwOp Getting out there.

cough. Medea. cough. Also, one instance of forgiveness is damning enough as evidence of favoritism. Especially considering, you know, all the heart pulping of heroes who answered the call to save humanity from total incineration who never did anything wrong yet, because they had legends he didn't like.

I mean, his conflicting loyalty to Arthur was enough to make him a Berserker, so some mouthy little shit sharting "BUT HUMANITY" at him really shouldn't work? There's nothing in his legend about "Humanity fuck yeah!" after all.

It's at least somewhat plausible if he just got shanghaied and drawn up into Flynn's flow, but the second he isn't, it should be right back to "AAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR!!!!!!11!!1!!111!!!!" loyalty ver.

Hmmm????? Maybe he could sacrifice some of his time, to maintain Mash's psychological state, instead of mentioning how she looks sad/worse, feeling a bit guilty, promising himself to do it later, never get around to doing it, and repeating.

Maybe he could do that instead of satisfying his chuuni edgy wannabe sociopathy and learning to use poisons to help stay alive after the Grand Order, which is actively counterproductive to the Grand Order.

Maybe he could spend time with his servants, and look less like a scummy sociopath, so the more innocent/traditional good ones have less reason to toss his ass to the curb for the handsome ntr knight?

Maybe he could sacrifice his own morals by command sealing Mata Hari's obedience instead of just lying to and making his servants break their own moral codes.

LazyGlutton likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Medea has so far been a loyal Servant who hasn't disobeyed his orders.

Aside from that emotional rape of Jason she's been a loyal and useful asset.

The ones he had killed after summoning were in some way unstable and would have caused problems for them, even if they answered the call.

He's not exactly Ritsuka, the guy who can get along with all Servants.

This Lancelot isn't a Berserker.

Lancelot was also loyal to Arthur, a noble and great king, while this Singularities Arthur is just a tyrant.

His guilt at serving a merciless tyrant was enough to have him disobey several orders and Charlies speech was just the catalyst that made him switch sides.

There may not be any 'Humanity Fuck Yeah' in his legend, but there is nobility and heroism in it.

Serving the Lion King is not a noble thing.

Most of the chapters in this story are about the missions they go on, but there are some that focus on the bonds between Charlie and the Servants.

I also wish we'd see more of Mash, but she is apparently getting help, even if it's offscreen.

He's learning poisons so that when this thing ends he won't be killed.

There are probably some mages that will feel insulted that some nobody stole what they see as their right to glory and will try to kill him.

Modern mages are gigantic douchebags.

8. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

They're not all bad. Waver Velvet's a pretty decent guy, as are most of his students and friends. The Mage's Association has a lot of bad eggs, but there are good people in there.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but they tend to be in the minority.

The douchebags have sadly got numbers on their side.

10. Threadmarks: Chapter 137
    Charles Flynn

Charles Flynn I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Master, why have you not killed the traitorous whore?" Vlad asks without preamble as he de-astralizes inside my tent. It's been a week since Lancelot's surrender, and we've marched into the northern hills. A circuitous route to the Holy City, to be sure, but I've kept my plans to myself.

We'd wrapped up negotiations and accepted Lancelot's surrender, along with the surrender of his men (all of them more loyal to their commander than the Lion King.) But, part and parcel with that was the pardon of Mata Hari, something that stuck in my Servants' craws as much as it stuck in mine. I suppose it just... bubbled over.

"We're talking about Mata Hari, right?" I ask, just to confirm. "This isn't just you trying to get me to have Medea disposed of again?"

He's been making petitions for her termination almost since the day we summoned her.

"No, the kinslayer has been spared my wrath, at least for the moment. Now, my righteous fervor is fixed upon a far more heinous target. So tell me, Master, why does the traitor live?"

I look at him appraisingly, and then sigh, settling down on one of the stools. "Take a seat. Dismiss the armor, first, though, the whole tent's a gift from Lancelot."

"Really?" Vlad looks about at the drab tent, filled with tears in the fabric, and at the ratty bedrolls and spartan stools. "He didn't strike me as a skinflint."

"He gave me two, actually. I set the nicer one up as a decoy."

"Cunning of you," he says with a nod, dismissing the armor and taking a seat. "Be we drift off-topic. Why does Mata Hari live?"

"Two primary reasons. Firstly, Lancelot's fond of her, just as much as she is of him. If we demand her head, it'll put a dangerous strain on our new alliance."

"Bah, do what is right and lawful, not what's convenient! I never hesitated from doing justice, no matter how much my lords mewled and whimpered!"

"And, as I recall, you ended up betrayed by those same lords you never compromised to or made concessions for."

"Watch it."

"I'm not disparaging your accomplishments, Lord Vlad. Your fear tactics were a masterpiece, and your repulsion of the Ottomans was brilliant. But you neglected your image, and the fundamental importance of securing loyalty. I can't afford to do the same."

"Fine. Your second reason?"

"Narrative fidelity, and keeping up our image."

"Layman's terms would be appreciated."

"Basically, I convinced Lancelot to change sides by shifting the narrative. He was caught between two masters: the Lion King, and what he knew was right, The Good. He wanted to do the right thing, but he also didn't want to betray his king. I changed the story, and, in doing so, forced him to view events from a new perspective. I made him think of The Good as his proper king. Suddenly, serving the Lion King was a betrayal, and doing what he knew was right, which he already wanted to do, was the only way for him to atone. Going by that new narrative, then, our offer of an alliance is a gesture of mercy and forgiveness. We aren't just dragging him along because of his strength, but we, as servants of Humanity, are forgiving him and his subordinates for prior treason, and offering them a chance to atone for their misdeeds." I sigh. "Unfortunately, to keep to that particular narrative, it becomes necessary that we forgive Mata Hari. After all, if we forgive Lancelot for his prior treason, failing to do the same for Mata Hari means that we come off as hypocrites."

He groans, massaging his forehead. "I swear, you think in circles." He shoots me a glare. "I have no understanding of the twisted labyrinth that is your mind, but you usually know what you're doing. I still don't like having to forgive her, though."

"Oh, rest assured, Vlad, even if we're forgiving her, we'll be watching her like a hawk," I say with a chuckle. "And, if she ever pulls a repeat performance? Well, you'll be free to dispose of her as you see fit. Just... whatever you do, make sure she suffers."

"Well then, Master." He grins. "You have my thanks for explaining yourself. It's good to see you haven't gone soft on me."

"I do what I have to. I simply acknowledge that just because extreme measures must occasionally be taken, one shouldn't assume they are always the best option."

Vlad takes his leave, and I'm left alone with my thoughts.

My theory on the Lion King's true identity is dubious, certainly. And the evidence is circumstantial. But I believe I can make a solid enough case to persuade Gawain. Man might be a great knight, but he's not the brightest bulb on the tree. Besides, he's as conflicted as Lancelot, in his own way.

We have the forces for our attack on the Holy City.

But... all the same, I need to set up some long-term plans. Even if we clear the Seventh Singularity, Solomon's still out there. We need a countermeasure.

Cursed Arm appears an hour after Vlad left.

"Are you sure about this?" He looks at me dubiously.

"We are at the ideal point to visit the Shrine you mentioned," I point out.

"Alright. If you're absolutely certain." He sighs. "The First will have my head, you know."

"And, if negotiations proceed as planned, he'll have mine as well." I grin somewhat shakily. "Now come on. We'll have to get going."

And so we depart, along the hidden paths in the light of the waning moon.

To the Shrine of Azrael.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  11. Charles Flynn

It's more that Lancelot checks off all her boxes, was unfailingly kind and chivalrous to her, and, well, after the time she had as part of Chaldea, she was just flat-out desperate for someone who'd actually give a damn about her. She didn't really have a role she could fit into at Chaldea, and was kind of being bounced around between divisions. With everyone constantly busy, and no one really paying attention to her, she ended up desperate for an actual emotional connection. Sure, she had one or two friendships, but they were mainly work-related.

Then, when her Master finally remembered that she existed, it was only because he wanted to chain her to a rock as a throwaway distraction, and then possibly have her betray her rescuer. Sure, Charlie actually asked her if she was up for it, but at that point she just flat-out felt like this was the only way she could still be useful.

Thus, when Lancelot showed up, was actually nice to her, and treated her like she was important, she fell head over heels for him. Because he was the first person who actually paid attention to her since she was summoned.

12. EVA-Saiyajin

I reserve the right to enjoy her being killed for a second strike, regardless.

Or, you know, when Lancelot's cooperation no longer matters.

13. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Thus here is another way that Flynn falls behind Ritsuka as the Last Master of Chaldea. Ritsuka was able to connect with all of his/her Servants and somehow make it work. Flynn has proven time and time again that he can’t and there are some Servants he outright will not try to work with at all.

Not that it’s a bad thing. I find it fascinating in the ‘watching a train wreck’ sort of way.

14. gjsponge

gjsponge dank memer

How could you ever trust a SPY that already betrayed you once? She has to go (as in, death) as soon as possible.

Ritsuka has the biggest plot armor ever, this is far more realistic.

aeoniam, Ater, Baxx and 4 others like this.
  15. Charles Flynn

She's on the "Hundred Face is watching at all times" watchlist when they get back to Chaldea. So, no, he doesn't trust her. It's why he'll be breaking out the invasive twenty-four hour surveillance to look for an excuse.

16. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Oh I know, and that makes it interesting because I want to see Flynn fail utterly at the end. I just don’t think he can cut it in the long run. Ritsuka may be a blank slate with plot armor but that’s what helped him/her survive. If you’re so average that you can connect with everyone, from Catholic Saints to callous goddesses and the greatest criminals that history or myth has ever seen, that’s a damn superpower in itself.

Flynn is much more willing to make enemies. Whether or not he’ll succeed at stopping Goetia and how it’s presented will make or break this fic for me.

Honestly if Flynn was a canon character I could easily see him as one of the Crypters.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. gjsponge

gjsponge dank memer

I really don't get why he would keep her around at all, with no real punishment... she's useless.

I think that someone that knows when to make hard decisions and knows how to manipulate people has far more chances in reality than a doormat, if not for the plot armor.

ChestBurster and Illariai like this.
  18. EVA-Saiyajin

Worse than useless, even if he could make a room that could hold her and lock her in, she'd still be taking up valuable resources via her upkeep.

19. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

King Hassan only showed up in Babylonia in canon, right? Looks like Flynn is going to try to recruit him early, if he doesn’t become an Hassan himself.

20. Potates

Potates Degenerate Spud

It's pretty obvious what the solution is: Flynn summons Lancelot. Mata Hari is in love with him, he bought Flynn's bullshit is loyal to humanity so she in turn will be loyal to Flynn again.

Gramps showed up a bit in Camelot. He let his cape fight Noon Gawain for lulz and removed the demon's influence from Cursed Arm so he could fight again via loophole abuse.

21. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

The thing with Chaldea is that, ideally, it shouldn't have a single Master-- the logical course of action they planned on having was relying on several Masters at once, and each would handle different types of Servants each could get along with the best.

The existence of a single Master is a gacha merchanics mandated compromise the story has to jump hoops through to meet, and so, Ritsuka's lack of striking traits making them more appealing towards EVERYONE is something that only can work with a major plot coupon in the first place. This is more noticeable with Servants taken from previous iterations of the franchise-- don't try telling me the Gilles seen in Zero, or the Vlad seen in Apocrypha, would have ever considered for a second to follow Ritsuka at all, should they have dropped in those plots. Not even someone far more agreeable like Artoria, actually, who would have just tolerated them while looking around to see if they could get a more competent Master somewhere else (say whatever you want about Shirou, but for his type of story his skillset and mentality made him much more useful than Ritsuka).

Really, the only actual reason why Ritsuka can connect with EVERYONE is Because Plot Says So. Grand Order has so many Servants that, yeah, among such numbers, you'd still find 'a fair number' of Servants who would actually follow them in good spirits and even love them despite/BECAUSE of their genericness, but all 250+ so far is just way too much of a stretch. I'd go as far as saying that even half of that would be majorly pushing it.

Edit: Now, technically, fanfiction is NOT bound to the narrative limitations of gacha, so for all means and purposes, one's GO story can easily feature several different Masters each managing a different share of compatible Servants, but most writers lack the imagination, plus admittably writing several Masters at once demands also juggling more character arcs at the same time. But mostly, I think, fanfic writers are self-ascended fans, and fans tend to be kind of insecure when they feel they have to 'divide' the attentions and affections of their secondary characters; normally, they want everything to gravitate around THE single lead character they identify the most with.

22. Deathclaw 2015

Deathclaw 2015 Master Xehanort

Actually looking at it and how the story of Grand Order involves servants actually helping out against the Pillars......due to them being friends with Rits.

Are you actually considering killing Charles because there will not be enough people helping at Salomon since Charlie may have alienated a lot of servants with his personality and methods?

23. Charles Flynn

No comment.

24. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

I'd like to think that, come the moment, mankind's finest would put 'all of human history being in danger' over 'I don't get along with this one dude'.

25. Deathclaw 2015

Deathclaw 2015 Master Xehanort

Nah, there are servants whom only serve because I get along with this dude and I will do a solid by saving mankind when my usual default is fuck humanity.

There is a reason why I said there will be a lack of manpower at Salomon.

LazyGlutton and Silver W. King like this.
  26. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

There's also the fact that, if all of mankind dies, you also kind of die with it.

And this is not 'big deal, I already died anyway', this is more like 'you never existed at all, and neither anyone or anything you ever cared for'.

27. Charles Flynn

Exactly. Beyond that, if you have the chance to attend the Big Final Battle for the Fate of Humanity, and you refuse on account of "fuck that guy" you don't deserve to be a Heroic Spirit, and your presence on the Throne will most likely be amended shortly.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hell even Caster Giles, who has a bit of a hate boner for creation, would help, seeing as his 'beloved' Jeanne would also not exist if Goetia wins.

29. Reven

Reven Versed in the lewd.

So one way around some of that is dream sequences/level up servant event.

That could allow you to at least manipulate things to make them like you more.

Also will anything like that be a thing? As I understood it. The servant summoned is actually their weakest states and that by doing those dream sequences you unlock more of their power.

Similar to how certain masters effect how strong their servant can be.

30. Potates

Potates Degenerate Spud

Flynn Alter Lily would disagree.

Silver W. King likes this.