1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's not exactly all that difficult to imagine that the spells created by five powerful goddesses are going to be more effective than the ones made by mortals.

nick012000 likes this.
  2. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

The horses?

This if doesn't have anything to attach to, so it's probably extraneous.

This clause is weird. Perhaps unless I brandished my pistols? But that doesn't feel consistent with Brother Abednego's grammar - for a hypothetical he'd presumably need a subjunctive? Maybe unless I were to brandish my pistols?

an I brandish not my pistols is grammatically fun, but I suspect it way overshoots Abednego's level of archaism.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Mr Zoat

Um. They can't replace it, but that's true of any surface he could put down. Given that the heaviest load it will have to bear is a light cart I'm pretty sure it will be fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You mean three thousand years where they didn't really advance at all?

Constantine says otherwise.

Hell, Paul's own Tattoo's say otherwise since they were created by a mortal and stymie gods.

nick012000 likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We weren't talking about their advancement, but about the wards the gods put up.

The fact the Amazons haven't advanced technologically in three thousand years doesn't mean the wards are somehow bad.

Constantine isn't your average mortal, even before he became a Lord of Chaos, so while he may be able to bypass the wards, other things most likely can't.

The wards aren't perfect, but they're probably a whole lot better than the ones the witch breed put up.

Istaran and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Want to give a simple technology that will help way more than a road they can't maintain ? Suspensions.
    Leaf springs were invented early XIXth century, so they probably don't have them, and are quite easy to make. More modern systems could be even better, if harder to make with their available tools.

Prince Charon and nick012000 like this.
  8. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

9. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

My bad, I missed this part.
    Thanks for noticing it !

10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Three thousand years in which in which the wards held and seemingly only one outsider, only one man made it past them.

Darko likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Plus that one man was also an extremely powerful demigod.

And if I remember correctly Paul once said that Herakles lost a large part of his fleet during the attempt.

Cuchulin and OrigamiPhoenix like this.
  12. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I suspect it'll last a good deal longer without multiple ton vehicles rolling on it constantly, but yes. Eventually it's going to decay. But a neglected concrete road maintained to the best of their ability won't be so dissimilar from cobblestones, so I suspect they'll be fine.

OrigamiPhoenix and zerofarad like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

No, he lost a large fleet. A handful of men made it to the island along with him, but the Amazons were under no divine order to leave them alive.

14. zerofarad

Is this a Britishism or should it be something like in or with?

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

A Russian superhero movie? How have I never heard of this? *googles* Ah. It bombed. So hard it didn't even get a tiny cult following.

17. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

18. zerofarad

Resubmitting this typo report since it seems to have been overlooked:
    us

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Saw a Real Engineering video on asphalt recently. Like everything in engineering in the real world it comes down to an optimisation problem involving initial cost, expected use, expected cost of maintenance & repairs, how expected use will change over time, etc. OL can make that asphalt as well as he wants to, and the expected use is incredibly light compared to the use of any modern roads. It could easily last hundreds of years in those circumstances.

20. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

2nd May
    02:57 GMT -5

"You know, I think I need to tell Batman about this."

Leonid frowns faintly. "Yes. He will want a full report."

"No, no, I mean…" I stamp my right foot twice. "The cart. He likes to be fully prepared at all times, but at no point in our training were we stuck in a cart for hours. Hey Abednego, the booby trap spells you were talking about. Do they go underground?"

"They do not. The maggots do, but the spells do not."

"If we negotiate a settlement of some kind, I'll build you a tunnel network before we leave."

"I think perhaps that no agreement could be wide-reaching enough for that to be-."

The blurred landscape around us winks out, replaced by a dull blue emptiness. The runes on the cart ignite, radiating out of the wood and metal with enough intensity that I blink and try to look away. Abednego and Mistress Butler have witch-signs in hand, and the tone of Mr. Yao's humming has changed.

"Cunning." Abednego's signs shift, twisting and moving. "'Tis a while since I have seen such a thing."

I consider asking what happened, but it's best to let them work through… Whatever just happened. I could offer to help, but Mr. Yao knows what I can do and will ask if he thinks it would be useful while the other two don't know how their magic interacts with my constructs. Leonid looks at me curiously, but I shrug and shake my head.

Mistress Butler glares at the nothingness. "A wrinkle in the fabric of the world. Warp and weft twisted aside-."

"I be having the gist of it, Mistress Butler. I pray you have patience."

MALEVOLENCE.

Oh.

"Did anyone else feel that?"

Abednego nods. "They're not so foolhardy as to let things like that into the world, but they'll bait a line with us if it stays in the river."

A vaguely… Cone-shaped distortion is.. growing larger. I'd say 'in the distance', but I've got nothing to use to judge scale by. Construct armour and charge an energy pulse.

Mr. Yao looks at my left hand with concern.

"I'm not shooting it, I'm just getting-"

Our surroundings… Bubble, patches of rocky scrubland appearing and vanishing in an uneven mess-.

The springs screech as the cart drops onto the stony ground, wherever we were vanishing back to wherever it was. Mistress Butler staggers off the front board to touch the ground and even the taciturn Abednego looks relieved.

"Was that..?" Leonid looks mildly bewildered. "Bad..?"

"Yes it was." Abednego nods. "Yes it surely was. Though I suppose to one who knows naught of magic it would merely seem-."

I release my blast, the giant mosquito shimmering into being and being torn apart by the orange energy! A warbling note from Mr. Yao highlights another two, which swiftly join their colleague in oblivion as Leonid leaps from the cart and pulverises them with his fists!

The witch-signs etched into their carapace fade and fail as they bleed out, and I start scanning. Yes, Sheeda creatures, the signature biological markers are all there.

"Hid in the eddies of the spell." Abednego nods. "Cunning. Mayhap this is their perimeter watch, and they will bear us no malice?"

I spin out filaments, running them along every surface and up into the air-.

I grip and pull an object unseen but still tangible.

"GAH!"

Orange light grips a humanoid outline and slams them to the ground as Abednego steps up and thrusts a burning witch-sign to their face, particles of illusion flaking away and revealing… Black armour, in a shape nearly but not quite human.

Abednego lifts his brand away and steps back.

"We do not come here for war, but you'll not find us lacking."

"Aye, witch-man, you being here while we are at our weakest is the devil's mischief alone."

"You live far from our towns and villages and we know little of you. Even should I want to, I could not act on knowledge of you I do not have. Pray tell, what malefactor is it which afflicts you? For you are far from the only afflicted in these lands."

I lean closer to Leonid. "I could see through that. Our attacker's concealment was much better."

He nods, keeping his eyes on the newcomer. "Yes. I could feel the wing-beat of the insects. And I think Physician could hear them."

Mistress Butler steps up beside Abednego. "Speak, girl. I know Abednego as I knew his master; he bears us no malice."

The helmet turns our way. "And what of them?"

"W-."

"Yes, we are here to help as well."

As he kneels down and hums at her I remember that Physician is in charge of this, and bite down my intended introduction. I've got out of the habit of acting under someone else's direction in the field. On team missions I lead a squad, and when I work independently I direct myself. I.. don't think I like this, but I suppose that if I wanted a Justice League slot then I should have handled Nabu differently.

Avoiding the mild irritation wouldn't be worth it.

"That-." The figure in armour shakes slightly as Mr. Yao's pitch changes, and then a degree of tension leaves them. "Thank you."

"Please. We came here because we wish to fight the Sheeda, who threaten our world with a Harvest fleet. When it comes, we will have to fight millions of invaders. We must learn all that we can of them before that occurs. If you do not trust our word, at least believe that we are interested in our own people's wellbeing."

"They're here."

"By that, do you mean 'right here'-?"

"They came to our village months ago. We thought they were outcasts as we are, but the creatures of the Sheeda obeyed them more readily than they ever obeyed us. We should have-." She snarls, then pulls herself upright. "They wanted to know about Melmoth, about our history. Seemed to be a natural enough thing to question. We showed them the Old Town. I did not myself see… What happened, but my-. They got into one of Melmoth's armouries. Took his weapons for themselves and announced that we would be their slaves in the name of their Queen."

Yes! They're actual Sheeda!

"Those who resisted or fled, they slew. Our only freedom comes from when they hunt for others."

Mistress Butler scowls.

"And what do they do with them?"

"They do not invite us to join them. But we do hear the screams."

Abednego nods. "I wonder, child, how it is that you escaped to be here?"

"I did not. I hoped to find something I could trade to them."

"So that they might leave your people in peace?"

"So I could become more like them. Strong and powerful, not an ignorant savage living in a forest."

There's a moment of silence.

"If you help us kill them, I can augment you using their corpses."

Mr Yao, Mistress Butler and Abednego turn their heads to look at me.

"What? I can."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected. I corrected the Story Only version and my version but I missed the version in the main thread.

22. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Paiul, there's a time and place dude.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'As he kneels down', because 'And' sounds kinda weird.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

here to help.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A million monkey's on a million typewriters.

And this is why you aren't allowed to talk to people anymore.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, where to start? Because I suspect the field reports are going to be extensive, surprising and more than a little worrying...

Seriously, OL. I know you like to rush things, but learn some patience...

...Tunnel network as in subways? Or just rig some Dolmen gates tuned for the local thaumic weave?

Oh, another random encounter. At least this one didn't start with a death ray attack.

Probably a good idea not to distract the people dealing with.. whatever this is.

Presumably something he's familiar with, then? A Warlock-breed trap for people using tricks like his?

:eek: ...Oh, dear...

Just in case. Though if whatever's out there is as big as it's emotional resonance suggests, it may treat it like a gnat's fart.

Funky. Does not sound like a pleasant ride.

At a guess, yes. All of the yes. But thankfully it's gone now... Hopefully.

Welp, a backup trap, huh? Sneaky bastards.

Don't cross your fingers, No way would you be that lucky...

Sloppy, very sloppy. But it works in the heroes' favour.

Sheeda? Warlock-Breed? Something else?

Warlock-breed, then. And they managed to craft that trap? Talented...

They're a teenager, aren't they? No adult could have that level of persecution complex...

Not allied with the Sheeda from earlier, then. Assuming they were actually true Sheeda.

That's a girl? Nice armour, then.

Hold your horses, OL.

Ooh, sub-harmonic 'friendliness' charm? Sneaky, and not something she'd likely recognise. Too much soloing, OL. When you're running in a group, you do what the leader says. Or you lose out on loot rolls.:V

Charm successful. She's feeling a bit friendlier now, isn't she.

...Crap. Crappity crap in a hat.

Typical. Probably minor scouts who got a little taste of power and got well drunk on it.

Oh, hoo-bloody-ray. So these warlock-breed are reluctant collaborators... Serve or die. Some choice.

Living up to the finest Dark Elf traditions, I see.

As expected, she's out for herself. Probably doesn't know better, after all...

...Well, fuck her, then.

OL! Do not offer to help the clearly bad girl!

...Damn the lack of a proper facepalm emoticon! This deserves a double helping.

Okay, OL? Just stop talking now. Before you say anything to reinforce their opinion of you as an idiot with no impulse control...
    ...It's already too late for that, isn't it?:rolleyes:

MALEVOLENCE

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ooooh, I like Pauls thinking here.

Take from the enemy, learn from the enemy.

Also, me thinks we just met another Orange Lantern Corps member.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair to her, her people are honestly kinda despised by most of the others on their world.

Well that, or he's just very good at putting people at ease.

He is training to be a doctor so it isn't that unusual that he'd be trained in something like that.

Though that charm thing may be happening.

I remember in the comics he mentioned that a previous wielder of the sound powers once scared off an army by growling, so the ability to manipulate emotions may be happening here.

It wouldn't be the first time he did that.

Seriously like half of the Paul's we know are in relationships with former villains, Raul, Peter, Baul, Paragon, Renegade, Common Sense.

Well Baul is technically still in a relationship with a villain, but the others are a bit more on the side of good now, not completely, but they aren't exactly evil now.

The only ones I don't think were in a relationship with a former villain are LP, Saul and the one in the Stargirl universe, and maybe Goldie if he goes out with that Queen, Dick or Diana.

And no, Tagseid 'relationship' with his version of Diana doesn't count, we're talking about actual romantic relationships and not ones between slave and slaver.

Seriously Paul really needs to stop trying to get with bad girls. It isn't as fun as it seems.

Gee, ya think.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Wait, who was Common Sense Paul dating?