1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It will come up at some point.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe remove 'there are'

just 'doing this is using a variety of combinations of locations'

maybe add 'that if we got hold'

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless he's counting Adom in that, it should be three Marvels, Billy, Mary and Freddy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'regular scans'

I know you said that the only reason Billy can be Captain Marvel is because Shazam stays in the Rock to allow the gods to give him power, and that's why he doesn't go in the field himself, even though his knowledge and skill in magic may be more useful than Billy's brute force approach, and in order for someone to get powers like him they would need a powerful archmage to do something similar to Shazam, stay in a location without leaving it, but why can't they do what Adom did?

Just go directly to some gods without having a sorcerer to mediate the exchange, or stay isolated for it to work.

OL is friends with several gods, and they, or someone they know, may be interested in getting a champion, so maybe OL can find some heroically inclined magic user and have his magic be augmented by divine magic.

The gods get a champion and the League gets someone blessed by gods and who now has potentially god level skill in magic, and hey don't lose a powerful sorcerer like Dr Mist in the process.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Was Mattias using some kind of anti demon magic there?

I think I remember that you mentioned on SB or SV that some members of Christianity used some kind of anti demon magic, but I may be mistaken?

If this is true then what's the magic called?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe add a question mark if it's a question.

7. Mr Zoat

No, those are both fine.
    Yes, he counted Adom.
    Thank you, corrected.
    It takes a chunk of the god's power and effectively locks them out of manifesting on Earth.
    He was using his own spiritual purity to reject the demon's magic. It doesn't really have a special name.
    No, that's correct.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If they manage to find some gods who wouldn't mind not being able to manifest on Earth while they have a champion it could work.

When Adom was trapped in his corpse were the gods empowering him unable to manifest on the Earth?

If the gods use a sorcerer to channel the power would they be able to manifest on the Earth?

I remember that Zeus managed to do that because he seduced Cassie's mother, but that could have been before Billy was empowered.

Did Paul fix his spine?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Xmaster3000 likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Again, you think I've put a lot more thought into this than I actually have.
    Yes.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You're thinking too small actually.

Cannonically, it's not limited to gods.

King Solomon, a dead Jewish guy, is one of Billy's patrons after all. I prefer the lords of magic explanation from the Freddy series, but whatever.

IBAC is likewise powered by dead mortals.

Sabbac is powered by demons.

Captain Thunder is powered by spirits/aspects of nature.

Black Sivana was powered by the fundamental forces of the universe.

11. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    19:54 GMT -5

Abednego lowers his hands, witch-signs fading.

"It will not yield to my subtle magics, I'm afeared. All I can offer is best wishes and a blasting hex."

Mr. Yao nods. "Peter?"

The youth nods and steps toward, running his finger tips down the solid material of the door. The door… I wouldn't say shimmers, but my underdeveloped magic sense feels something.

Peter steps away. "Nay, sir. It responds to Sheeda blood, but it feels the manish blood within me and will not open."

I give Anarawd a quick repeat-scan, then synthesise a vial of Sheeda blood and play a purple healing ray over it for a few moments. Abednego frowns curiously.

"On my Earth, we have creatures called vampires. Intelligent animated corpses who maintain their existence by consuming the blood of the living. They don't have to kill to live, but the whole thing is a bit unsettling and I wanted to develop an alternative way of feeding for them. Our medical science is advanced enough to produce synthetic blood, but it lacks the arcane vitality which vampires need. This is-" I turn off the purple ray. "-vitalised Sheeda blood."

I float it closer to the resolutely closed door.

Nothing happens.

I uncork the vial and tip a small amount of the blood onto the surface of the door.

Nothing happens.

"Or it might not be a purely blood-based lock."

I tip the rest of the blood over my right gauntlet and step forward to touch the door myself.

Nothing happens.

I shrug inside my armour, disintegrate the blood and vial and than step back out of the way.

"Pass."

Mr. Yao nods. "Anarawd, what do you suggest?"

Anarawd looks uncertain. "Do you not have weapons?"

Another nod. "I could break this open with a note, but I would rather have this facility as undamaged as possible. Please step forward."

He hesitates, then comes forward with his hands forward and fingers outstretched.

"I.. cannot feel any of the spells which are in common use in the Land of Summer's End. Dark Melmoth may have a lock which is far more complex than anything I can open."

"Still, I would appreciate you making the attempt."

This is a curious question. How far can we… How far should we push him? He and his people are committed to killing most people currently alive on Earth and stealing everything they can carry. He hasn't repented in any sense and the only reason he's sticking with us is naked self-interest. If he's a prisoner of war we.. aren't supposed to compel him to assist us. Does Columbia have.. laws relating to war? They're certainly not signatories to the Geneva Conventions. And neither's Themyscira. And yes, precedent says that if a Sheeda war fleet was overhead right now I could mind control him, but… One isn't. I'm pretty sure that if he says 'no' that I could square it with my conscience anyway

But is he a prisoner of war? We're outside Columbia's borders here. I'm pretty sure that they'd just… Consider him to be a bandit. If there was a reason for them not to kill every Sheeda they met beyond 'we haven't met any'. Which would probably mean execution. So…

Anarawd touches the surface of the door, and green… Veins? Marbling? Appears on its dark surface.

Anarawd freezes.

"Anarawd, do you recognise this response?"

"I am-. Not-. High Born-. This magic is more sophisticated than-"

The door turns to dust floating in the air, then vanishes completely. Anarawd takes a hurried step backwards, his hands still in their raised position.

"-anything.. I know."

The room beyond appears to be… A control room? There's a techno-organic control panel, what looks enough like an Atlantean illusory display that I'm going to assume that's what it is, and… Not a lot else? The interior wall has a knobbly surface but I can't see any runic inscriptions.

Kind of dull for a final room, but I suppose that Melmoth was working with limited resources.

Or maybe there was a guardian beast and it died.

Leonid glances my way and I grant him construct armour, working in enough rune work and hunger that it should work against exotic attack. But that's why we put the super tough guy at the front. Mr. Yao nods and Leonid cautiously advances, eyes at medium glow.

I generate a sensor array construct and get scanning. The material this place is made of is… Sort of like chitin, in the same way that ceramic armour inserts are sort of like clay. I don't think this was ever part of a creature, even a magically-constructed one. I really have to take samples for Sephtian; if Atlantean bio-artificers can replicate it then we might be able to get Atlantis into space after all.

Leonid makes a careful circuit of the room before turning back to us and nodding.

"Clear."

I enter next, focusing my scanning on the control console. It's resisting exotic scanning, but more mundane sonic and thermal scans show where it's getting its food from. Deeper underground, there are creatures bringing it nutrients. I suppose they must have been too deep for the Columbians' spells to kill them. Either that, or too different from things that would usually be considered 'alive' for it to have been affected.

I don't.. actually have any Atlantean biomancers in my circle of contacts. Not my close contacts, anyway. Which is a shame because I think we're going to need a whole team here.

I send filaments throughout the room, but I can't feel any concealed objects. Low level magic, but no more than I would expect from this amount of Sheeda biotechnology.

"Clear."

Mr. Yao comes through next, his continuous hum causing a slight fluctuation in my armour construct. A moment passes and he nods at Abednego, who motions for Anarawd to enter first and then follows him in.

Mr. Yao looks at Anarawd and then gestures to the control system with his right hand.

"Does this seem familiar to you?"

"This.. precise design is new to me. Perhaps unique. But I can at least perform its basic operations."

"Please attempt to access the records contained here."

Anarawd nods, then focuses on the strange keyboard and begins pressing keys with purpose. The keys are marked with straight or slanting lines, which I assume make up the written form of the Sheeda language. The symbols aren't getting translated by my ring, which… Presumably means that they have no direct equivalents.

A moment passes, then tiny witch-signs in shades of green and blue flicker in the illusory space for a few seconds before drawing together into the form of a Sheeda man.

Anarawd tenses and lifts his hands off the control panel.

"Melmoth."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If this isn't just his weird way of speaking then it should be 'I'm afraid'

Maybe 'to have'

Why did OL think the Atlanteans could get into space with that stuff, seeing as the Sheeda don't have space travel tech from what I remember?

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Or -> Our
    biomancer -> biomancers

EDIT: I assume this Melmoth is a personality construct of some sort and not the real deal. It will be fun if I'm wrong!

14. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

It's an archaic use of English. Perfectly proper, given the separate linguistic evolution of Abednego's people.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's worrying. Clearly this door hides something they really wanted kept private. On the upside, there's more than enough firepower here to open it.

Good to see he's feeling anything at all, looks like he'll be using unconventional magic sooner rather than later. Not likely to see it anytime in the next year or two in-story, though...

How literal of him. Pretty unlikely to work. I doubt it's blood alone, after all.

Wonder what a Vampire would make of it? Sweet ambrosia, or foulest black water?

:rolleyes: I honestly don't know what he was expecting...

I bet the others are sharing a silent conversation right now... o_O 'Is he always like this?'

:oops: 'Honestly, this is rather tame, by his standards...'

And half the group roll their eyes.

You haven't been paying attention, have you, knife-ears? They have weapons aplenty.

And hoping there's no contingency set up for anyone showing signs of the Queen's service. Some hidden trait he might not be privy to that Melmoth would have lethal defences set up for...

Given the alternative is the good old right boot against the mechanism, anything works better.

Orange Enlightenment, everyone. Perfectly capable of justifying anything in pursuit of the necessary. At least OL is still self-aware enough to feel bad about it.

Should they be taking cover? Usually, you send the rogue in alone if there's any possibility of, well, a splash zone.

He's barely a glorified scout. With a little proficiency in investigation and examination. They have to stop assuming he knows anything.

Huh, fancy. I would assume it reconstitutes itself when the lock is secured. Be a pain and waste of resources if it has to regrow the door every time it opens...

Very limited, from what I understand. No wonder he had trouble keeping the Columbians.

Yay for being the tank. I bet there's no security back here because Melmoth didn't let anyone else in here...

In living spacecraft. Space fish, of a sort. But that would be a long way off, I bet.

And then the room explodes! No? I was half-expecting just that...

Impressive that it still works after three or four hundred years. But such a system would basically be self-sustaining, once set up. The hard part would be preventing it from running wild or mutating.

The sooner he can manage to work around magical effects with his scans, the better, I hope.

Deferring to the closest thing they have to an expert, I see... Don't let him poke it too much...

;) "And don't mind the railgun Orange Lantern has formed, pointing at your heart..."

Makes sense, their language would have come into existence long after any Maltusian could have coded the ring to interpret it. Wonder if OL could find a lexicon or dictionary he could use to create a converter. A rosetta stone, so to speak.

The dark king himself. I expect we'll get a picture link tomorrow when OL takes a proper look at it.

Honestly, it's almost disappointing, the lack of defences in this room. Massive lock on the door, but nothing in here. Clearly Melmoth believed no-one but himself would ever be allowed here, so he left it unlocked. Not even a 'slide to unlock' with password. I would have put a bio-sensor in at least.

Double space here.
    The keys are marked with...

16. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

hey Zoat
    got a question you probably answer in the past at some point as i re-re-re-re-re-re-etc-read the story only thread again out of boredom

did that doctor Natu accept Paul offer to join ?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think she just punched him when he offered her the ring and he left because she wasn't interested.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Off

If your country hasn't ratified a treaty, you aren't in a country which has ratified the treaty, and are facing an enemy which does not abide by the treaty, there is no reason to abide by it yourself.

19. Mr Zoat

It is.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Because it's enough of an improvement on their existing biomancy that it would allow them to.

It looks advanced enough that it could be used in space craft. The SI hasn't confirmed anything about Sheeda space travel.
    Thank you, corrected.
    "A construct in the core? Unacceptable!"
    Thank you, corrected.
    I think it was mentioned later, but yes.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Soranik Natu is now a member of the OLC?

I thought she refused the ring.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or... And this is just a guess... The person who made it wasn't an idiot and built his lock to ignore fake Sheeda blood...

22. Mr Zoat

Yes did. And it kept metaphorically staring at her, as she in turn stared at all of the patients she could help with it whom she couldn't within the Korugari health care system.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or..And this is just a guess...OL may have thought of that already and just decided to test out his theory of fake Sheeda blood to make sure, because maybe the lock wouldn't be able to recognize that it's fake.

Also why are you commenting to Zoat when he can't see what you're writing because he blocked you, due to the fact that you're annoying and pointlessly aggressive?

24. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I mean, that gets into what makes the blood "fake." OL synthesized it to be identical chemically to Sheeda blood, and the purple healing ray should have restored the arcane components of the blood. Since it didn't work, OL's missing something, which OL recognizes.

It's not like the blood OL used is made out of plastic from a gag shop.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Or maybe it also tests for Sheeda skin and Sheeda aura and other stuff Paul didn't synthesize.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I just looked, and it hasn't been mentioned, fyi.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or couldn't synthesize.

If the thing was meant for only Melmoth to use then he couldn't synthesize it, because they may not have access to Meltmoths body.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I remain highly amused by this arc because whenever I see a mention of 'Melmoth' I think of Peter Garrison...

Well, maybe more like space whales.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or something similar to Martian bioships.

I think in Pyroclasm Miss Martian mentioned that Red Priests helped building the ships using alchemy.

Or something like Guyver.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. ⸺⸺⸺

⸺⸺⸺

del

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021