1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Okay, I'll make sure that it gets mentioned in the story.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Why would she be mentioned during the eye planet incident?

He also didn't mention Ragnar, Ranx, Sodam, or any of his other Lanterns when he talked about that planet.

If the women of that planet needed healing then they already had two Lanterns who can want them to be better.

She also may just use her ring for healing so fighting that eye god may have been beyond her.

This isn't the first time Zoat hasn't mentioned what every character is doing all the time.

If there isn't a point in mentioning what a character is doing then he won't do it.

Xmaster3000 and Frank Iannetta like this.
  3. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The original reason Paul pushed hard to get her was in the aftermath of the eye-gouging planet. (the first time)

Basically, while you any random Orange Lanterns could provide healing, the main issue was regrowing the women's eyes.
    The 2 native Orange Lanterns (Coutara and her daughter) can't even do that (hell, they still had empty sockets after first getting the rings), and even the other Orange Lanterns don't have the appropriate mindset and will loose motivation after a while.

On the other hand Natu had the proper mindset to do it. So if she joined one of the first things she would do is to go to them and start healing!
    So when Paul went back to deal with the god, it would have made sense to mention Natu and the work she did for women of the planet after accepting the ring

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The two Lanterns couldn't heal themselves.

The rest of the women on the planer are another matter.

They may not have been able to heal themselves because they were used to their lack of eyes.

Hell her daughter may have actually healed herself, because while I remember Coutara still not having eyes I don't think anything was mentioned about her daughter.

The both of them may have eyes now if they got the hang of some of the ring functions and developed the proper mindset.

Also Dox and the Controllers may have solved the whole eye thing without Natu's help.

Dox may have sent a Lantern to heal them.

Paul went to Natu because he knew her from the comics and thought she'd be a good git, but that doesn't mean that she's the only Lantern with a desire to heal people in existence.

The Controllers are also apparently helping the people of that world with their tech, so the chances of them giving them some kind of cloning tech for eyes is highly likely.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

All those things are true, but the point of the discussion is about whether or not Natu should have been mentioned when Paul returned to Coutara's planet, if she had helped them.

And if Natu had joined, she would have been one of the Lanterns doing the healing. Paul pretty much chose her as the OLs chief medical officer and even if she is not ready yet, she would have gone there to get experience and because healing people would be her main driving force in becoming an Orange Lantern.

And she is an Orange Lantern, she wants to help people. The only way she wouldn't go if she just got the ring and couldn't be trusted to use it responsibly...

And since she did join, it would make sense she would be mentioned (even off hand) when Paul went back to Coutara's planet

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She could have decided to use the ring after the eye planet incident, or even if it was before that Paul may not have known that she was using it, or he did, but she hasn't been using it for that long and he may not have felt comfortable having her heal half a continent when she was still just using it to heal small groups of patients.

She may have been given a ring, but she apparently didn't use it for some time, likely due to the fact that the only experience she ever had with a power ring user was when one became the dictator of her world and the other one tricked her, so she would have some reservations with using it.

Dox also may not have thought it worthwhile to wait for one person to accept becoming a Lantern to get a medical officer, so chances are high he found someone that could safely use a ring and desires to heal people with it.

Also the two women from that planet could have done the healing themselves after they got the hang of using their rings for various functions, because they also may not have thought it worthwhile to wait for one person to accept using a power ring.

Even if she was a member of the OLC when the eye god came around, she may not have been mentioned due to the fact that the women on that planet were healed already and if she's just a medical officer then she may be unaccustomed to combat, but is just focused on healing, and the OLC went there to fight the eye god.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat
    Has Paul considered asking if they remember somebody ever referred to as "The Cake Man"? And if he were to ask any given Time Traveler about "The Cake Man", would they know of him?

8. Mr Zoat

I haven't thought about it. Probably not.

9. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know I just realized that the bottleneck with producing jovium for it's sort-or superconductor properties doesn't have to be a problem. Remember when Sephtian explained that enhancing the existing properties of a thing with enchantment is easy, as opposed to adding totally new ones? Why not enchant normal low temp superconductors to stay superconducting at high temperatures? Then you can mass-produce the stuff affordably.

Cuchulin, Doccer and w34v3r like this.
  10. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

should be effects

Has ring translation so spoiled the SI that he can no longer distinguish the English word "blood" meaning genetics or ancestry from the similar but distinct word "blood" for a vital substance of the human body? Or is he just being flippant about the distinction?

11. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, you don't want people to be able to unlock your command center door by virtue of "I killed your doodz and their blood splashed on me"

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

So, kind of like the Devil.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    19:59 GMT -5

Blue-grey skin, pointed ears which are noticeably shorter than those of the three other Sheeda I've met. His face… No, his head, is taller and narrower than a normal human head, but only subtly so. You could meet a man of those dimensions on the street and only find it unsettling rather than monstrous or alien.

Naturally, he has a goatee.

"If you're seeing this message, then I have a visitor from Summer's End! Greetings, cousin. Welcome to my home away from home. Try not to trouble the locals too much; they can be ever so useful when they put their minds to it. And their backs, and their cunnies. You get used to the sunlight eventually; enjoy it! You'll not see its like again, and the burns are only temporary."

The illusion raises its right hand to its right cheek and touches it before lowering its arm again.

"If I'm still in residence, then make yourself known to me. I will welcome you warmly, and explain the purpose of the operation I've set up here. It will be pleasant to converse with an educated soul after so long amongst these… People. And as you can tell, I am rather partial to the sound of my own voice."

"Can you access the records?"

Anarawd tried pressing a few buttons. "It’s locked while this plays."

"I can tell you of the true history of our people, which I'm certain that my dear wife has done her level best to conceal. I can tell you of the glories of the First Harrowing, the people we killed and the magics we stole. I can offer much in return for your service, and… As of now, my dear wife will consider your loyalty suspect and order you killed should she see you again."

Mr. Yao nods. "If you are able to agree, do so."

Anarawd glances at him, clearly concerned. "I would not dare betray the Queen. And he would know that."

"But do you think he'd enjoy watching you try to lie about it?"

"He may. But amongst Sheeda, that sort of torture is unusual. We-"

I nod resignedly. "Save it for humans."

"-save it for Peoples of Spring, like yourselves."

"And I see that you've brought humans with you. How very open-minded!"

Melmoth may not look all that inhuman but his constant toothy smile is a little disturbing.

"Two local men and-. Is that a Lantern?"

Are Lanterns a big enough deal that he'd program this to recognise one? From the fact that the two I killed yesterday recognised me and the fact that I think the Green Lantern Corps was active in this region of space during at least one previous Harrowing it's certainly possible-.

He's looking at me. That could be a programmed response, but-.

"Yes, yes, this isn't a recording. Imagine how surprised I was to be notified that someone had opened up my old hidey-hole."

The illusion… Makes eye contact with each of us in turn.

"I assume this means that her majesty Queen Gloriana Tenebrae is even now on her way at the head of a Harrowing fleet. Thank you for letting me know, I'll carry on with my own plan in response. But what to do about you?"

Ring, trace the communication channel.

Mr. Yao takes a step forward. "We are willing to cooperate to defeat the Harrowing fleet. Once the Queen is dead, you could resume your place as king."

Working.

"But I want to Harrow you too! The only philosophical difference between myself and ole' Glory-bra is that while she believes that she should rule the Sheeda, I believe that I should! We can't reconcile, but, well… Your civilisation is dead and damned either way."

"We have access to other worlds. We could rehome your people on another planet, where you could rebuild your civilisation."

"I'm sure that you could and I'm sure that you would. But my dear optimist, you need to understand that I really like hurting people. I absolutely love having them under my power, and I won't give that up for something as trivial as good sense. We have time travel; did you really think that if we wanted to we couldn't arrive during a period where there were starships on Earth and simply steal one? We don’t Harrow you because we need to in order to sustain ourselves. We Harrow you because it lets us sustain ourselves while still being ourselves; casually cruel and vicious and revelling in our superiority. And, frankly, your utter destruction is well worth that."

"There is no room for negotiation?"

"Not.. really. I mean to say, if you wanted to arrange yourselves into patterns and then kill yourselves we'd probably let you, and if by some miracle you actually won then I imagine that the last few survivors would throw themselves upon your mercy… Perhaps. But on the core issue, I'm afraid that you are shit out of luck."

Unable to trace.

I connect a filament to Mr. Yao and send a message through it.

"Do you want me to try assimilating the console?"

He gives his head a small shake.

"Why did you found this colony?"

"If I had to live in exile, it may as well be a comfortable one. Have you ever tried taking a shit in a garderobe? Barbaric."

"That is.. all?" Abednego's hands are balled into fists. "You stole our forebears away from their homes-."

"Oh, you didn't think you were actually important, did you?" He pantomimes astonishment. "You did? Well, let me disillusion you: you're not. You're the result of me not realising that I'm biologically similar enough to humans that I can breed them."

He smiles. "Mea culpa."

"That's really it? I'm a little disappointed."

"They can't all be sinister plots. Though my actual breeding project is doing quite well. And since Glory-tits is on the move again… I suppose that it's time to ring the dinner bell."

He actually reaches out of shot and picks up a gong and mallet.

"Dinner time, children! Dinner time!"

I hear a fizz coming from the lumps on the wall the room and-.

"Attack from below! Everyone-"

I stick flight auras around Mr Yao, Peter, Abednego and Anarawd and pull them up-

"-off the-"

-as the creatures below us cease their regurgitations and bolt for the surface!

"-floor!"

The floor buckles and the frantic burrowing displaces tonnes of soil in an instant, silicoid claw-faced worms bursting through, magically-enhanced corrosives bubbling from their maws!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  15. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, he is delightfully assholish, reads a bit like a less petulant and whiny version of Tennants interpretation of the Purple Man. He's gonna be a fun villain to deal with.

16. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that wasn't just a recording.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Two different spellings.

So all those theories we came up with as to why they don't just leave their planet were wrong.

They're just evil.

18. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

I like this guy. I think he's absolutely monstrous and deserves to die, but his interactions with the cast are very entertaining, and I love his straight-forward nature.

ChestBurster, Jaron, Arghonn and 19 others like this.
  19. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well, a fun villain after so long. Here's to the chase, and the vicious torturous slaughter.

So, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats.

ChestBurster, Arghonn, w34v3r and 9 others like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aw, no link? Presumably there's simply no good images, then? This is the clearest I could find, from DC.Fandom's page on him...

Well, how else could you instantly know he's an asshole? Dude looks literally satanic. So it fits perfectly.

Well, isn't he just a jolly fellow. That utter disregard for any other being...

Oh, he's going to be one of those bad guys, eh? The kind that just talks and talks at you until you want to kill him just to shut him up.

Damn, King Asshole thought of everything. Because why would he allow the peons a chance to interrupt his glorious monologue?

Assuming it'll unlock control if he swears fealty? Good plan...

...But Melmoth's head is twister than a bag full of snakes.

Because we apparently make such pleasant noises during it, I suppose?

Oh, gods, he's turned up the smarm. Is anyone else feeling like they need a shower?

:eek:...fuck. Either this is a very smart recording...

Or he's talking live.

Fuck fuck fuckity fucking fuck. Red alert!

As if he'd make it that easy. What worries me is what 'plans' he might have prepared... Oh. :eek: Oh, dear... What if he knows how to hop timelines, and this is what happened in the Renegade's timeline!

This mission is going to hell in a supersonic handbasket. And him as king? It'll just be business as usual for the Sheeda...

Well... If I had to choose, I'd go for the one with tremendous taste in décolletage. Bless that little strap, though. It looks to be the only thing keeping things from going M-rated...

I doubt relocating has ever been his concern.

Huh. Well, whatever else the 'man' is, he's certainly honest about his tastes.

So, no polite ceasefire. Looks like the League, and the rest of Earth's powered defenders, get to do all the righteous face-punching they could ever want.

Not sure what that would even accomplish. All it'd do is break the connection. And I bet any useful data it contained has already been deleted.

Jackass. But points for wanting comfort... I can just picture his face when he says that last word. And it is soooo punchable...

So all of Columbia was just there to... To get his dick wet with? Because he didn't think to cover his willy, the people are suffering from random mutations thanks to his bloodline? The sooner this guy gets a railgun enema, the better.

So am I, honestly. All this setup... for such a petty reason. Generations of suffering, because this pointy-eared bitch wanted a comfortable country home with plenty of tail.

Time to be leaving, methinks. Preferably while collapsing the place behind you.

All those critters below, supporting the systems here...

Crap, ripper swarms unleashed! Prepare the flamers!

Don't go holding back, OL. Bust out the big guns, now!

Melmoth feels almost like a parody of the typical villainous mastermind, doesn't he? Admitting to such petty reasons for everything he's done... And yet it doesn't make him any less dangerous. The next few in-universe days are going to be tense. I foresee him deciding to cut his losses with Columbia and flipping the table, so to speak...

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Sheeda are basically at this point one of the few fictional races you can wipe out to the last without feeling guilty, right alongside Citadelians, Psions, Apokaliptians, Saiyans, Goauld.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    To be fair, we only know that Melmoth is evil.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But he did raise some good points about just stealing a ship and leaving the planet.

The fact that they haven't done so is a pretty good indication that they're just a bunch of murderous psychopaths who do what they do for shits and giggles.

24. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

At least most of the upper echelons of Sheeda, the ones that make decisions, are.

25. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

If you tell a housefly that you're going to kill it before proceeding to swat it, it doesn't change the odds of success, but it may make your inevitable success slightly more satisfying. I suspect he would be slightly less... Up front about his plans with Miss Glory-bra.

26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Iunno.
    Sheeda feel elvish. They may have a connection to dreaming, and their "story" may require them to be evil. So when Melmoth says they'll stop being themselves... That might not be a hyperbole.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The behavior of those Sheeda soldiers in the previous episode doesn't exactly give the best impression of even the low born Sheeda.

I'm pretty sure that Melmoth excuse is a pathetic excuse on why they don't stop being evil, and not exactly connected to the Dreaming.

The Sheeda probably aren't even arcane lifeforms like regular fae, but just a race made up mostly of magic users who modeled themselves after the fae.

And if they stop being like they are, would that honestly be so bad?

28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I'm pretty sure most of low-born Sheeda are terrible people, yes. I'm just leaving a room for exceptions, just in case.

29. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I guess my comparison of The Sheeda being the Dark Eldar's time traveling little cousin was pretty much spot on, at least for the ones in charge, wasn't it?

The fact that they preform The Harrowings for their own amusement also goes a pretty long way to explain why they use entropic weapons so casually, it's just not about resources for them.

30. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

So... they are just stupid/chaotic evil in the end? That was both disappointing and unexpected (so kudos on that much). Oh well, at least now OL has another guilt free genocide to look forward to! He was getting cranky after so long with kid gloves on. I'm sure the League will see it his way!