1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General chat thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nanimani, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

Is it really a regular case out there? Being honest, the footwork, stance, and the correct distribution of muscles across the body for the type of martial art focused in is genuinely the first thing I was told to build in all of the martial arts I participated in.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  2. Greedy Observer

Greedy Observer Making the rounds.

I've already given an example with Taekwondo.

I have a few other examples:

In Wing Chun, instructors usually train you to grab or frame against the wrist when trapping. This ensures that you're basically working against your opponent's bigger muscles. Optimally, you want to grab the hand when trapping and pull down:

(Skip to 4:05 for the trapping bits)

Pulling or pushing on the hand instead of the wrist ensures that you're fighting against your opponent's smaller arm muscles instead of their larger back muscles. This is a small but important detail that most Wing Chun instructors seem to miss.

The basic Karate punch from horse stance is a particularly egregious example. The basic Karate stance is usually bladed and sideways to the opponent. A chambered punch from horse stance requires you to be squared up to the opponent. How are you supposed to land a punch that you need to launch from a squared stance while in a sideways stance?

Stephen Thompson, arguably the best Karateka in MMA, actually (indirectly) explained how the punch can be launched. Basically, you use footwork to shuffle to a squared up stance relative to your opponent. This then allows you to actually throw something similar to a punch from horse stance. Unfortunately, the way the punch is taught gives you zero context of how to actually apply it in a fight. Note: Stephen here uses basic boxing punches to set up the Karate punch, but this would also work with combinations that start from a kick to a shuffle.

An alternative to this is to step to the outside while launching the punch, which also brings you square to your opponent. This works particularly well with the reverse punch. But again, you're not actually taught any of this when training the punch itself.

The primary problem isn't actually that the techniques are bad. It's that the way the techniques are trained does not automatically also train you in the proper footwork, positioning, and biomechanics required for the technique to work.

Here's a good Muay Thai roundhouse kick instructional video:

Note that the way the kick is trained incorporates the footwork needed for the kick to work: A lot of emphasis is put into the initial step forward. That first step with the lead (non-kicking) leg brings the kicker into the correct distance and moves the kicker off the centerline for safety against counterattacks. The way the kick is trained also automatically trains the correct footwork and positioning required for the kick to work.

Compare how a Boxing Jab is trained to how a Karate Chokuzuki (straight punch) is trained. The Boxing Jab is immediately trained while in a Boxing stance you will actually use in a fight and footwork lessons are immediately integrated into the instruction for both getting into range and followups punches. Meanwhile, the Karate straight punch is not trained in a stance you will actually use (Karatekas seem to prefer a sideways bladed stance, not the horse stance) and footwork lessons are not integrated into the instruction, so it's not clear how you should get into range to actually use the punch. What's weird here is that everything else in Karate is actually taught really well. It's only the punches that are taught seemingly devoid of context. It's bizarre.

I suspect the problem sometimes isn't that Martial Arts do not train proper stance or footwork. It's that stance and footwork are trained separately from offensive and defensive techniques. Footwork and stance should be the first thing you are taught. But it also should be the second thing you are taught. And the third. Basically, every time you're taught a technique, the instruction should also include how stance and footwork are integrated with the technique.

3. BlackHadou

BlackHadou A Resting Bui

Exceptionally common in basically all casual martial arts dojos.

4. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

The first time I learned martial arts (Taekwondo), I was like... 10 years old at the time. We started with basic warm ups, body conditioning (for kids), learning how to katas, then spar a little before cooling down in a two-hour session, once a week. Even if I didn't quite remember the katas now (read: at all), I could still remember how to at least throw a proper punch or kick.

5. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

Ouch. That's kind of terrible. I have to do 4 hours of footwork and posture fixing on top of muscle training homework upon registering in a kendo dojo. Repeat this training for a year until I can get my own shinai and armors, then more time and training until I could receive the permission to participate in practice matches.

By no means are we allowed to randomly train by ourselves without supervision even if there's a manual to teach yourself how to kendo. The sensei and senpai had to drill the lesson that we must not play around no matter the circumstances.

I thought this kind of rule and teaching method is the normal thing, but I guess I got lucky...

Around that age, I learned native style of karate and that seems about right for entry level. Though we had much more spars using protective gears with the whole class reviewing the sparring sessions' moves and techniques and decision making used.

6. BlackHadou

BlackHadou A Resting Bui

It should be normal, your right. Its not. You were very lucky. I've been through a lot of dojos and how much footwork they teach is a instant barometer of how well they can teach you.

7. solari

solari Wannabe DM/Writer

To the thread, I've been trying to remember a specific movie but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It was a cgi movie about a giant flying aircraft carrier throgh the clouds set in a world where no one had been on the ground in years/decades. It was very steampunkish iirc, had lots of aerial dogfights. Does any one know the name of this movie.

8. Forgotten QM

Forgotten QM Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

To the denizens of this Questionable Questing fiefdom, I bid you greetings!

I'm just testing out a few different tools for QMing.

...of course...

I've gotta say, this is pretty neat. Is it possible to attach images from your own saved drive, or must they all be inserted via a link?oh lookdifferent fonts!and stuff
    I tend to find that attached images with updates help anons questers visualize the scenes.
    Can I do that? And is there a limit on the size of updates? I tend to hit 6000-9000 characters on each chunky update.

9. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

Have your figured out how to do thisboop yet?

Venyr4434 and Forgotten QM like this.
  10. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

After the blue colour your text is black which is bad for dark themes.

There's also tabs.

• Text here

• It's like magnets. Completely magical.

• More text

11. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

Question can you do any of this from a phone because I've been trying to figure that out.

12. heralding_bubble

I mainly use a phone (like right now and that post), so.
    But I have the rich text editor off and write the tags manually because the RTE is ass cancer.

13. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

First time trying but:

Edit: On mobile so yes you can, just copied from this page- https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/bb-code.821/

Edit 2: Now what if I... Too ambitious, can manage doubling though.

Edit 3: Did it.

Edit 4: Finished experimenting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Sinnerlust likes this.
  14. heralding_bubble

15. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

Thanks let me test it out see If i can do it.

16. Forgotten QM

Neat! Is there some sort of dice rolling mechanic?

17. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

90% sure this is sarcasm, but just in case...

Hyp3rB14d3 rolled 3 die of 6 faces, total: 10
    For: Yes there is.
    Rolled on: August-25-2020, 09:49pm

Just make a post and click the "roll dice" button at the bottom of it afterwards.

Forgotten QM likes this.
  18. Forgotten QM

No sarcasm, just an idiot!

cheers mate

19. Forgotten QM

testing dice
    Forgotten QM rolled 1 die of 100 faces, total: 88
    For: Sir Andrei's love of shields
    Rolled on: August-26-2020, 08:49am

20. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Me, reading news articles while on Robinhood: "Who the fuck's dumb enough to buy Gamestop stocks these days?"
    Also me, 2 minute later: "Oh shit I did just that a few months back because people were shitting on them on Reddit."

Yeah, my idea of looking at which stocks to buy is to look at which corporations that Reddit happens to hate at the moment and in general and buy those.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  21. heralding_bubble

Have you heard? There's an old series that's getting a new LN in November, I think it was.
    Just can't remember the name of the series...
    [​IMG]

22. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Wait, why is Spongebob getting a LN? I can't even imagine how they'd try to pull off the visual gags in text form. :V

kinglugia and heralding_bubble like this.
  23. Lord Invictus

Lord Invictus Impropérium nulla oblivione eris Gone for Good

I’ve been struck by tragedy. My cousin died today. It was sudden. He wasn’t but seven years older than me.

Evillevi and Priapus like this.
  24. LurkingInTheDeceit

Sorry for your loss, were you close?

Priapus likes this.
  25. Lord Invictus

Very close.

Priapus likes this.
  26. LurkingInTheDeceit

Ah, shit sucks. I never really know what to say to stuff like this, but I hope you get through this mostly intact.

Priapus likes this.
  27. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Sorry for the loss. How did he die?

Priapus likes this.
  28. Lord Invictus

They don’t know. He was at home with my uncle, and my uncle went to do some chores and came back and found him gushing blood from his mouth and nose, on the ground. He tried to do CPR but it didn’t work. He was dead by the time the fire department arrived.

Priapus likes this.
  29. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

... Either this gets ruled as an open and shut case of sudden death, or there's something more sinister brewing in the background. Either way, may your cousin rest in peace.

Priapus likes this.
  30. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

It's quite possible it could have a brain aneurysm and he just dropped dead. Mind you I have no medical training and am just guessing.

Priapus and kinglugia like this.