1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either he can now do small level enchantments, or he had the Columbians or Dr Mist enchant some.

He could have also brought a lot of those with him in a backpack instead of in subspace.

2. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Ah, I see what you meant now.

A backpack full of supplies is the most likely option. Not to mention that all of the stuff he was taking out of subspace in the latest chapter are things he had to have made and stored since he's arrived.

infinityDivided, Ardy and Darko like this.
  3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Also, according to Kirby, the anti life equation won't do what Darkseid wants it for, either.

I guess the full equation is completely uncontrollable and Darkseid would get anti-lifed too, but I don't know if there's a canon answer.

NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still Darkseid gets stronger when he gets another piece of it.

Also even if it destroys him it may still attack everyone else and destroy their free will.

Cuchulin and Senevri like this.
  5. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Someone is going to be force feed him the Never Split The Party song. And I bet it'll be that damn Thief.

Chojin Patriarch, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  6. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

You...you don't think the sheeda are the reason that apokolips and the new gods die out. Cause I mean the new gods all die out in most continuities before the 30th century.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's highly doubtful.

The Sheeda probably know about the New Gods due to the Father Bix they stole from some New Gods during one of their Harrowings.

Some of them came to Earth and uplifted a Neanderthal to become a highly intelligent being, and the Sheeda raided his civilization.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Ngamer11 like this.
  8. Organmonkey

Organmonkey Versed in the lewd.

More wondering what wiped them out to allow the Sheeda to loot their remnants.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They took a Father Box from some New God that came to Earth tens of thousands of years ago, they didn't loot the remnants of Apokaliptian tech.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You missed a step.

The New Gods of New Genesis came to Earth in 40,000 BC (Orion, Metron and Lightray shown). The built four cities and left, having uplifted one of the locals to take care of things. They also gave him seven treasures, one of which was a Father Box. His people built a time machine and went to the far future, where Melmoth pulled a backstab, took his stuff and travelled back to his era for the first Harrowing.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well if I remember correctly Scott Free may be a few centuries old here, so Orion, who was exchanged with Scott at the same time, most likely wasn't there to uplift Aurekle.

Unless time travel was somehow involved in him being there, and seeing as Metrons chair may be able to travel through time it is possible.

I also doubt New Genesians would just give a Father Box to someone, due to their connection to Apokalips, unless it somehow defected to their side.

Granted in the comics and movies Mother Boxes have been shown as being used by Apokaliptians.

If this is true then I doubt you're going to use the comic origins for how they got a Father Box.

12. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

oh that parts simple. In main dc canon (as established in the legion of superheroes "Great Darkness Saga" storyline) its because of a final cataclysmic war between apocalypse and new genesis with darkseid finally being killed by his son orion.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Darkseid survived the Great Darkness Saga, he fled when he lost control of all the Daxamites, he bowed out rather than get the shit kicked out of him by an entire planet worth of Superman level opponents.

He died in The Quiet Darkness, essentially death by cop because he arranged for a 12 year old girl to absorb her twin and become Gemini, "the step between man and god." Even while suffering from suicidal ennui his ego required him to die from a suitably grandiose opponent.

14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Enterprise? I expected better from you, Zoat.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's not sandbagging, people just massively overestimate his capabilities due to all the times Zoat has handed him Dues Ex Machina wins.

Two problems with this.

The first, he's in a different universe or pocket dimension so can't.

The second, Entities can be killed pretty easily.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Vaermina if I may give you some advice: Even were you objectively right you have over the years garnered an utterly wretched reputation. At this point you can not get anyone to believe you about anything. I advise you to abandon this thread and use your time more wisely instead of shouting into the wind.

Ardy, BoML, Prince Charon and 2 others like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

5th May
    03:05 GMT -5

I send filaments down ahead of me, though not as far ahead as a truly cautious approach would involve. I am trying to rescue these people alive, and I'm far more survivable than they are.

Nothing much, nothing, there! I grab the Columbian thrall and pin their arms to prevent the Spine Rider controlling them from using their magic. Then I loop filaments around their neck-. Got you!

The Columbian man stiffens at once, his heart racing and his breathing erratic. His pupils are dilated and aren't really focusing on anything. Ring, quick health check… Nothing he won't recover from on his own, but with a little power ring I can make that now.

"Sir?"

"B-by God Almighty-!"

"Sir, you've been taken by a Spine Rider. I've killed it, but your coworkers are still being held. If you can remember anything about what it told you to do, that would be very helpful. Otherwise, please head up the stairs and stay close to my colleague Canis."

"I-" He sits up, his right hand going to the back of his neck. I closed the wound when I treated him, but I use a filament to pick up the Spine Rider's sword from the ground and hold it out to him. He sees it and nods. "No, good sir. I saw little of their attack before I was… T-taken, and then it was… As if I was in a dream, compelled to walk ever onwards with no sense of my own self. I-I have no idea what they plan for us, but I pray you, destroy these devils. Save my friends."

"I'll do my best. Up, now." I give him a hand and he pulls himself to his feet. "Canis has a large dog with him. He's a little strange, but he knows his business."

He nods jerkily and then darts up the stairs.

There's no one else in range of my filaments, but the magic here is either making them fade out or preventing me from getting feedback.

Or… Thinking about the feedback-.

I check my spell eater, but it's still in place and at a reasonable temperature. Not cold; there's been enough magic thrown around to get it a little heated. But it should still be working.

For one entirely inappropriate moment I'm reminded of when I started watching anime. It was completely different to any of the tropes I was all too familiar with from western animation, and I mistook that difference for originality. Here, I don't know if the Sheeda are being truly clever or if they simply use arcane attacks that happen to be different to the ones I'm used to guarding against.

Not that it makes much difference; I'm here with the equipment I have now and I have to deal with them.

I fly downwards. Not much dust, but my rings ever-so-helpfully point out the disturbances in the dust on the steps and the walls. Not walking lockstep in the way that star conqueror victims tend to. No spell snares, but I suppose that if a random group of tannery overseers are capable of using magics which could harm me then they certainly couldn't do so quickly.

There's an opening up ahead, and a chamber beyond it. The ongoing sensor dampening magic is making me consider simply feeding on the magic… But I don't want to risk harm to the hostages unless a reasonable alternative presents itself.

And…

Huh.

The Columbians are kneeling in ranks before… Some sort of multi-headed mosquito… Thing. Most are collapsed, and as I watch the mosquito finishes draining the last few and withdraws its heads. I can see the blood running through its translucent body and into… A… Its vast body, bloated and fat.

A construct blade severs the heads. Filaments annihilate the Spine Riders and mend the Columbians. Other than the shortage of blood, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Was that… It? The Spine Riders brought them here to feed this.. thing? I restore their bodies as best I can and then deposit them by the door. Working out what the heck Melmoth was trying to do needs to be my priority.

Or… Does it? Can I think of a single non-evil thing that Melmoth might be doing with thirty pints of type-unmatched Columbian blood? No, no I can't.

Thick bands of orange light connect me to the still… Aliveish? Mosquito-thing, as I have a crack at assimilating it. The things I cut off… Yes, they had mouths and eyes but I don't think they were actually 'heads' in any conventional-

"Still alive, Lantern?"

-sense.

The creature is resisting, glowing runes all over its carapace making it hard to make contact. But that's fine; I'm trying to kill it anyway.

I ignore Melmoth's voice and form a railgun, load mage slayer rounds and fire at the most important-looking cluster. The first round strikes it without difficulty, and this time it actually works.

"How are you doing that? Some sort of leeching spell?"

The runes near the impact site stop glowing, and some sort of feedback causes the carapace nearby to crack up and the runes there fail as well. Immediately I follow up with an orange strand and attempt to assimilate it. The strand connects, and the creature turns to dust.

Mostly.. turns to dust.

"Ah. Curious. That particular redundancy wasn't created with Lanterns in mind."

There's a pile of.. tissue, or.. organic material. I assume that it isn't 'Sheeda' enough to have been included in the disintegration effect. It's.. like spider web: cream in colour, strong, slightly sticky in places and… It looks like it's cocooning… Someone or something. Columbian blood that hadn't percolated far enough through the system splats to the ground as I generate crumbler constructs and start… Pruning it back.

"Other than you wanting to be as evil as you can, what is any of this about?"

"Oh, this isn't about 'being as evil as I can'. There are far more ways to be evil than I currently indulge in."

"So when you claimed that you 'really like hurting people'-?"

"Oh, I do. But unlike some of my kind I know when to practise restraint."

"You just prefer to live-" Behind me the recovering Columbians begin making a retreat. "-in a situation which doesn't require you to."

"When I ruled these people I enforced my own laws in a completely fair and even-handed manner. I just didn't subject myself to them. What's the point of being king if you can't be king?"

"To create the greatest and strongest realm you can, with the most prosperous and capable people, as a testament to the rightness of your rule."

"Well…"

"But I suppose that's not for everyone. Particularly if this is all you've managed since the last Harrowing, you malignant incompetent."

The shape is humanoid, though I can't see anything that suggests that they're alive. But… This civilisation is rife with necromancy, and there are humanoid species with decidedly non-standard vital signs. I wouldn't want to kill an intelligent undead creature that hadn't done anything wrong.

"You know, I had considered keeping you on with your facilities intact. Now, I think I'll let you watch everyone you know and love die screaming before I turn you into a gibbering pet."

"Melmoth, if your threats worried me I wouldn't bother talking to you."

"I suppose you have acquitted yourself reasonably well so far. But I rather think that's about to change. You see, after I was deposed and abandoned after our previous Harrowing, I had the complete run of a dead civilisation. Access to all manner of interesting things. All sorts of interesting people. And their corpses. The main drawback of replacing my blood is that I don't have any Sheeda blood in me any longer, but my seed is still Sheeda seed, and my descendants have me in their blood."

"And it doesn't take a lot of blood to make a grundygod."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And a Grundy god is as grundy good as a grundy groks? Nay sir, you are still going to die, it'll just take a little more time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  19. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Are you gonna have to break out the Ophidian now?

20. Fellow

'The things I cut off...'

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'pray to you'

Maybe 'ever so'

'a reasonable'

'think' not 'things'

'strand'

Some kind of New God grundyman?

22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I have no idea what's happening here? Did Melmoth just make himself into a superzombie? Why is he acting like that's impressive in some way? He'll never be as dapper as Sir Solomon Grundy!

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Melmoth doesn't realise it of course but "malignant incompetent" is basically the worst insult Paul can think of.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I really hope Paul assimilates this guy. The only other way I'd like for him to die is via the Sword of the Fallen so that we will reincarnate as a powerless man at the mercy of the Columbians. Unfortunately, that can only happen in the Renegade timeline.

25. Fellow

'This civilisation is rife'

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The assimilation thing may be possible, but the Sword is a no go due to paragon losing it to an Angels song of destruction.

The Sword may also not do anything to him if he's not an arcane entity, but just a magic user, but I could be wrong.

Maybe renegade will deal with Melmoth when he investigates the Sheeda.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

28. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

From context he didn't make himself into a zombie, he made am extremely powerful zombie minion, probably on the level of power of a new god.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Joy of having to rush into a rescue mission. Other people tend to be squishier than heroes.

Joy of having your nervous system interrupted by something else. Quite a shock when you're suddenly freed.

He's definitely going to need a moment after this. Or a stiff drink. Do Columbians indulge?

At least he knows well enough to realise what happened to him, terrifying as it was... And he's reacting just about as well as you'd expect an ordinary person to...

As strange as that may sound, it's still better than what he's running from.

Something's occurred to him, has it?

Huh, that's honestly a concern. It makes sense, too. Magic would change in the millions of years between the Spell-Eater's construction and the Sheeda's time. At least it's working.

Unless one of them was a retired Witch Hunter, I doubt they'd be anywhere near that good.

Since Hungry is still largely indiscriminate. One more thing for his to-do list.

Man, the Sheeda-creatures just get weirder and weirder. Why would you need all that blood?

Yeah, nothing good can come of that much blood. And 'Melmoth' and 'Good' don't belong in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

:mad: Fuuu-... What, does this guy have one of those omniscient surveillance systems you see in bad stories? :confused: ...Well, probably, Yeah. Magic and all... But Goddamn he's annoying.

Sooner it's dead, sooner you can exfiltrate the captives, Canis and Brut. And then maybe dump a few billion tons of concrete into this place.

Interesting that he can't identify the cause. He hasn't noticed the railgun rounds flying? Or are they so anti-magic they don't show up on his 'cameras'?

Huh, something left behind? That... Can't be good. Ready more mageslayers.

Is that such a good idea? You have no clue what's in there. For all you know, it's a frigging zombie hulk.

Good grief, this guy. Why don't you go back to kicking puppies and leave the rest of us alone? No, wait, go hump rocks, see if you can make golems. Don't want puppies getting hurt.

...A Sheeda.. with restraint? o_O No, sorry, that's such an oxymoron. I can't process it...

What a spoilt brat of an arse. I'm guessing he was never told 'no' as a child...

Blimey, OL. That's pretty strong language for you. Good to see that philosophy coming through again, though..

You seem to think you have any kind of say in matters. It's amusing.

...Uh-oh.

Well, that doesn't sound pleasant at all. At best, we have another Solomon Grundy. At worst... Undead New God.

Yeah, this is getting worrying. OL might definitely want to get some distance between him and that cocoon. And then maybe start obliterating it. I have the feeling whatever's coming out of it is going to be very, very angry. And getting in reach of a big, angry, strong guy... Well, we saw what happened to Loki in the Avengers.

Some sort of leeching spell?"
    ...abandoned after our previous harrowing...

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I can think of several.

Solomon Grundy, Born on a Monday.

Cuchulin and nick012000 like this.