1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

'continuing' or add an 'as he' before continues. The 'regards' part may also be a bit redundant unless it was in reference to his statement, I'm not entirely sure.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

remove 'regards'

Does he mean Scott Free and Izaya?

And we thought he was becoming better.

Maybe 'death god' or 'other deaths gods', 'another' just sounds weird.

Does paragon have the actual Heart of the Ophidian for a soul, or was it just a metaphor?

Nice thinking with the whole Hades thing and I really hope he does build a temple on Tamaran in the future, and the introduce Helios thing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  3. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

to be fair look at his family he's dealt with worse.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He hasn't done anything for her since that training episode, where he apparently asked for her advice.

For shame Pavlos!

Though I bet he's never had to deal with a son in law.

5. Fellow

In the grim darkness of whatever place they're in, are there even gods still around.

ChestBurster, Relyt33 and Darko like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It couldn't hurt to be careful and make the necessary rituals just in case.

ChestBurster and Fellow like this.
  7. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Wasn't he having trouble with subspace storage? Or did I miss something?

8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Ah. Amputation, then. I suppose that's much safer with a power ring.
    Has Paul's magic sense been noted before? My memory is being unreliable again.
    Canis is always a delight.
    ...Why do I see parallels between this and what Grayven did to Lynne?
    Sensible.
    Canis is really thirsty for this, huh?
    Promising. That's better than being mind-controlled undead, I guess?
    Either is better than her current state, but I don't think I'm the only one hoping for the latter.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have made some just in case he needed to perform something like a funeral.

After they encountered the Sheeda he may have decided that it was better if they were prepared for their deaths and what followed.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Fellow

The stuff he had stored in subspace before he entered the portal to this place didn't come with him. It still works, though I imagine he won't be able to bring anything back through subspace when they go home.
    Edit: He probably made a bunch of stuff after he realized his inventory was empty, though why a clay bowl would be something he'd add is beyond me. I mean it did prove useful

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think it has but it does make sense for him to have it if he can absorb magic and is capable of doing some small spells.

He's like candy.

A bit is always nice, but too much and you'll feel sick.

Huh, you've got a point.

We tend to forget that just because paragon isn't his Common Sense counterpart that doesn't mean he isn't capable of being sensible.

It's something he hasn't seen before so yeah.

A lot of things are better than that.

I'm also hoping for the latter, if only to have her destroy Melmoth herself for revenge.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To solve this all he would need to do is build some kind of carrier for any stuff they bring with them, which should be fairly simple for him to do.
    He may want to be prepared in case one of them dies and he needs to perform some kind of rights to get them into Erebus.

He's got a good relationship with Hades and may be able to convince him to resurrect the one who died.

Yeah Hades may not like bringing people back to life, but he may make an exception for Paul given everything he's done for him.

13. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

He lost access to his old pocket. Presumably, this does not prevent him from making another one. That's the simplest solution at least.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hardly the worst sight he's probably seen. Still something that would put most people in search of a place to vomit...

Seriously, how is Swirly-cheeks even still listening in? That magic surveillance system is certainly paying for itself.

And there's no other obvious viable sources of observation? No protrusions of flesh or fitted lights? Anything could be used to watch you, given his sneakiness.

Probably because she was technically dead until OL cut her out. She didn't start channelling the Source until Melmoth forced her to, did she?

Wonder what she's pointing out to him. Something pertinent? Or just telling him off for inattentiveness?

A sensible question, as expected in this situation. It's an extreme measure, though, amputating everything...

Well, once they get back to Earth, it shouldn't be hard to get her medivaced to New Genesis. Whether New Genesis would help, that remains to be seen.

Yeah, having her brain exposed to the open air is probably a bad thing, even for a New God.

Which we've seen with Grayven. A few hours of mana-bathing and he was right as rain.

Things like fear, horror and disgust, or are we talking compassion, sympathy and concern here?

Which leaves us to wonder, is it because of structural damage or a conscious choice to remain silent... It could be a good thing. I suspect there would be a lot of screaming, if she could feel her body's twisted state.

Yes, most of his experience with anatomy has been in laying waste to it, or savouring the sweeter aspects of it. Making medical decisions for a complete stranger of a New God Zombie is kind of outside his wheelhouse.

To be fair, how much data does she have? She's still young, isn't she, relying on uploaded databases rather than personal experience?

No, this is not the time to be experimenting. Especially on someone who can't give any kind of consent, informed or not. And you know what happens when someone gets their inner light out of balance, after all.

Admittedly, they are miles underground, and who knows what sort of signal-disrupting the Sheeda Kudzu possesses?

That last option sounds good. You just have to hope he doesn't get ambushed by Sheeda on his way out.

Hopefully, he gets signal sooner rather than later. For all you know, he'll have to climb all the way back to town...

What's to stop him subspacing her and hauling ass out? A reluctance to subspace a technically living creature? I mean, it's not like he could make things that much worse for her...

Geez, Canis, keep your pants on. There'll be time for that later. Besides, don't you want to gather materials for some 'art'?

Hades is likely long dead or unreachably distant, but going through the motions might at least make you feel better about it...

Honestly, she's mostly human anyway. After all, her parents were an ascended Neanderthal and a regular woman, with his New God nature breeding true, as I understand it.

Heck, if it's magically neutral, it'll probably be easier for her body to incorporate and energise it. Just a matter of feeding her enough mana to do so. This is completely unknown territory for him, much less for Canis.

Or, like I suggested, her regeneration went into an uncontrolled spiral of overloading. With that much magically active blood inside ehr, I'm amazed it didn't 'malfunction' sooner. I bet it turned the blood into something like magical cancer cells...

Trying to recall what was known of Neanderthal funereal rites? Unfortunately, short of discovering some manner of time-viewer, we'll never know for sure. I presume he fabricated the ritual materials earlier, or had them stowed separately during the transit?

And now we settle in for a deathwatch.

Heh, he's been keeping Hades busy, hasn't he? Of course, the Lord of the Dead does enjoy his job, so he's probably glad to have something to do more than once a month or two now.

A remarkable change of pace from the last couple of chapters. From desperate fight to defend himself from a more skilled opponent, to watching over her comatose form as he tries to work out how to tend to her... It's things like this that make me enjoy this story.

This seems to be an unfinished statement...

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe add a dot at the end there.

Or done.

I know we like to call out the New Genesians for being bastards, but remember that while they're not saints, they are good people in the end.

Yeah they can be hypocrites, but just because Apkaliptians are more honest than them doesn't somehow make them better than the New Genesians.

If a guy was just a bit of a hypocrite, but was otherwise a good guy, then he's going to be morally superior to a guy that likes to kill, rape and burn everything, but is honest about his bad side.

Are you really asking this?

It's the first one.

After everything she's experienced she may want to be alone.

He may have some medical knowledge, seeing as he probably used surgical techniques to torture people for his art rather than just beating them to death.

I don't think it was ever stated how old she is.

If she was taken from a soldier then she may have medical data needed to heal the wounded, and the things Apokalips can inflict on people would mean that she may be able to do a lot.

You had to invoke Murphy, didn't you.

At least he has power armor to help him.

He may be reluctant to put in her subspace her due to her condition, and he may also be unable to transition out of there due to some Sheeda tech or magic, and the Honden may be out since even if she could potentially travel through it when she was still, well, more alive she may not be able to now.

If this is sometime in the future then he could either be dead, the Sheeda did have a Box so may have found some way to kill gods, or at the very least prevent them from having an influence on the mortal world by cutting them off from it.

That or something else happened that did those things, like whatever happened to the sun.

He may also be still alive, but has just lost interest in the mortal world.

More like a dozen times a year, as I remember Paul mentioning that they get a couple of dozen souls each year, at least before he got him all those other souls.

And now onto the final showdown with the main boss.

Chojin Patriarch and Ngamer11 like this.
  16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Briefly, and recently, it's not well-developed yet. But he's trying to develop it.

17. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Cue laughtrack.

Ardy, BlueMangoAdea, Darko and 3 others like this.
  18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

How long before Paul officially breaks up with Eris?

DAT_NOOB and NightmareWarden like this.
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Canis is growing on me.

All these characters so enthusiastic about horrible things are just hilarious.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The Ophidian does not in any literal sense have a heart. The Ophidian created an intimate connection between the two of them.
    Thank you, corrected.

21. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

She's dead, but can she dream?

Fellow and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

My mind wandered off on a hypothetical, that OL ended up with Death of the Endless showing up to claim a New God's Soul rather then her subcontracting to Hades, and hanging around to chat with Paul while Melmoth Gibbers in panic.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

melmoth isnt dead yet? im guessing he is probably not nearby....

24. Mr Zoat

I doubt that Melmoth would know who she is. And if he did, he probably wouldn't care. He grew up on a dead planet and led the Sheeda as they clawed their way back into an economic surplus. I imagine he is well familiar with small d death.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ohh to see his face if he figures out the death he dealt with is virtually nothing compared to her.

Cuchulin and transhumansage like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I don't really understand where this is coming from? Melmoth is a repugnant individual but he's certainly not a coward.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's odd that Paul already forgot that Canis described what happens to the souls of New Gods when they die.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's coming from my desire to see Melmoth lose his shit and be scared like a little child.

And everyone has a moment where they can be scared shitless, even if they're brave, and I think meeting Death may be what does it for Melmoth.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Yes, of zombie sheep.

Darko likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat did Paul perform that ceremony to ensure her soul goes to a safe place because he thought whatever Melmoth did may have damaged her connection to the Source in a way that prevents her from going to it post death?

Canis said that New Gods go to it after they die, but maybe she can't because of Melmoths actions and Paul just wanted to make sure she has somewhere to go.