1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Translation: "If you do not stop acting like an incorrigible heathen asshole I will set you on fire."

moralrelativity, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  2. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Considering his track record... I doubt he knows anything of the sort.

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

So, unless we're getting the first 3 episode-arc of the story, I imagine Paragon will use Melmoth to somehow incapacitate the Sheeda quite swiftly. Or the next episode will be the Renegade dealing with the Sheeda with some intermittent Paragon chapters or something.

4. I_S

I_S Getting sticky.

If i understand how the time travel reset thing works, I think there may only be One Sheeda army in the multiverse atm. the timeline is no longer inevitable, and loop that made it possible to harrow is now impossible.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Oh.... Oh..... This is unfortunate....

There goes half of my OMAKE (oh, also the Earth has been invaded and the battle has raged for almost 2 months killing millions, if not billions of people).

Still, the time jump is interesting. Is he going to find a way to go back to closer to the initial event or have to try and retake and rebuild a shattered world.

I am quite excited to see where this goes.

Darko and moralrelativity like this.
  6. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

OK, I now can think of a few ways that this can play out.

1) Least likely. Find The Flash, create a Flashpoint. Besides the obvious of OL Paul 'knowing about an ability that he shouldn't', the whole thing kind-of undoes a lot of the story for several chapters without much reward. I never really liked "Flashpoint" as a concept. To much of a big red "Undo" button.

2) Sort-of possible, could work. Create a White Lantern and undo all the death and destruction. Problem, sort-of ends the story. What happens after you get the Life Ring? Nothing left to do but mop up loose ends. Might be do-able if well enough written but.......... He does have access to most of the colors. Mr. Zoat hinted at possibly getting Kori' a Blue Ring. If Carol Scott -14 is still about, that would cover Violet. Green might be a storming Apocalypse (because the Guardians would never sign-off, and would deactivate any Green Lantern that tried), but still doable. Yellow, we know that Clarissi Dox spoke to Sinestro at one point, so he exists (might need some convincing). Orange, obviously. The Red Lantern would be the only one missing......... But Paul has a Weaponeer on staff, and the Rage of losing Earth like that.

3) I hope not, but possible. Things stand as they are, they win the day but 2-3 Billion are dead. Now we are left to rebuild a shattered world. That just sounds depressing.

4) Probable, but unsure how. TIME MACHINE! Better than Flashpoint, because that would just undue everything. Paul takes the Time Machine from Rip Hunter and keeps Melmoth and the intelligence. He has to arrive just after he left, to avoid a paradox.

5) I am way over 150% probability now, so who know how likely this is. OPHIDIAN COMES OUT TO PLAY!!! All Hail Eris! Could happen no matter which of these possibilities occur.

So many possibilities. This is going to be good.

Darko, moralrelativity, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Still On Earth 12
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Earth 12
    11th February 2005
    12:24 GMT -5

God… Damn… Super-injunction.

A decidedly unfun part of British law which allows the muzzling of all UK-based media outlets for the duration of a trial. If this was from anyone other than Batman I'd assume that it was a stupid move made in a panic; it would basically be an admission that I'm right in identifying him as 'Batman'. I was expecting some sort of public holographic appearance, or having Mr. Kent wear his costume while he was publically elsewhere. Something to undermine my claim.

I mean, I could serve Batman as Batman. He's testified in court with his mask on before so that's not an issue. But that threat was supposed to be my leverage. I don’t want to blow his secret identity. I want the ring back. All that injunction does is make it harder for me to bring non-nuclear pressure to bear.

"Hey, Peter. Rough day?"

I look up at Maxwell Lord as he reaches our table, and manage a weak smile.

"Having a bit of an operational disagreement with the Justice League. It's a little trying."

"'Operational'?" He sits and waves his right hand at a waitress for a menu. "Are they trying to extradite one of your employees or something?"

"No, that would be… I could handle that. They stole an object from me and don't appear… Either able or willing to return it."

He raises his left eyebrow as he glances up from the menu.

"Was it dangerous?"

"Yes, but a gun's dangerous. This was drained of all power and sitting in safe."

"Can you tell me what this object is, or do I have to guess?"

"Sorry, Max. They took out an injunction, and… Judges get a bit shirty if you bypass their authority, even outside of the country."

He shrugs sympathetically. "Can't argue with lawyers. Unless you've got a bigger lawyer."

"I've got some pretty big lawyers. But I still have to go through the motions."

He nods. "Is this..? Thing..?"

"I-."

"I know, I know. You can't talk about it. But I always figured that if the Justice League went after you, it would be because of your employees."

"No, no, they've been nothing but supportive about that aspect of things. Apparently they had a run-in with a parallel universe version of me and it's got them all paranoid."

"You can't judge someone based on what some parallel universe version of them does. There's probably some parallel universe somewhere where we're both Nazis-. Oh, aah, scrambled eggs on rye toast, Caesar salad and mineral water."

The waitress nods and takes his menu.

"Nazis. Or they are."

"It's kind of annoying, actually. There was some huge meet-up of parallel universe versions of me a few years ago, but Matthew Hagen… Clayface?" He nods. "Took my appearance and so he got dragged in instead. It would have been nice to hear what this was all about from the 'me' who actually did it." I shake my head. "How are things in the for-profit superhero business?"

"Good. Not great. I talked to our computer guys about doing what you said, going online?" He shakes his head. "Unless people want to spend all day downloading video clips, the bandwidth people get just isn't high enough for it to be practical. Maybe in ten years or so."

"Given all of the wires we'd have to replace, it might be better to skip that and upgrade mobile phone masts instead." Hm. "It's not really my thing, but I could do a feasibility study?"

He chuckles quietly. "Good luck with those antitrust lawsuits."

I exhale sharply through my nose. Yeah. More of those. "Thanks."

"The drone cameras were a big success. Once we trained the technicians not to fly them into the stars' faces."

"I've never been completely sure what the revenue streams are for the whole 'Ultimen'.. thing are. Is it just the television series and merchandising?"

"No, no. There's also… It's not exactly 'insurance', but I've made sure our hotline number is out there for companies who are under attack by supervillains."

I nod. "Their insurance would cover it either way, but if they're trying to protect a unique prototype or individual then it makes sense to pay for people with super powers to try and stop them."

He nods. "Which works for us, because none of our stars are trained investigators." He waves his right hand dismissively. "Which is fine, because criminal investigations -real criminal investigations- don't make good television. Being called to a crime scene as the crime is actually happening cuts the filler right down and shows the kids in the best possible light."

"Kids'?"

He frowns introspectively for a moment, then appears to shrug it off.

"Sure. I mean, I'm their manager, but they're teenagers living away from their parents for the first time. Guess I feel a little possessive."

I smile. "I guess that answers the question I had about how you actually found enough supervillains to fill the schedule."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Max, I actually look for supervillains with giant wads of money as a lure and I struggle to find them. Even in large American cities there aren't that many supervillain attacks each month, and even with a rocket plane you can only travel so far so fast. I did briefly worry that they might be staged, but I've seen the trial transcripts so I know it's not that. How many companies are in this… Referral scheme? And should I be offended that you haven't given me the number?"

"Well… It's… Ah…" He looks away. "Not as many as I'd like. And without point-to-point teleporters… You're right; we can only respond to calls from a certain distance away fast enough to stop a crime in progress. But I've also got… Ah… 'friends'."

"'Friends' like my girlfriend, or-."

"No, no. No, it's not like that. Friends in law enforcement. No police officer armed with a six-shooter wants to pick a fight with a guy in power armor, right?" I nod. "So sometimes we get called in. And sometimes it’s a false alarm, but we get more than enough footage out of it to fill the show."

I snort. "I honestly don't know why there isn't a Federal superhero team. I mean, I'm not one to criticise private entrepreneurship, but it seems that enforcing the law is something that the government should be interested in."

"Some people aren't comfortable with that sort of-." He leans back slightly as the waitress puts his meal down in front of him, then he picks up his knife and fork. "That sort of power in government hands."

"Has the American government mislaid its nuclear warheads?" … "Again?"

"No, they're back up to pre-Carter levels. But the Federal Government can't deploy nukes in American cities."

"Sure, but a S.W.A.T. sniper can shoot someone just as dead as someone with… Laser fingers."

"'Laser fingers?"

"For example. It just seems like a weird gap."

He chews on a bit of salad before nodding. "We have been getting some unofficially-official interest in something like that." He leans forward. "Say, have you ever heard of something called Project Cadmus?"

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

"Well, that depends, how much is Lex Luthor invested on that project?"

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'be an admission'

Well one version of Peter is a tyrannical rapist and a version of Lord is a paranoid murderer, so not that far behind actually.

maybe 'cameras'

The League may have more trouble if Peter makes CADMUS a bit more competent in this universe.

Zoat are we going to see another Earth 12 chapter tomorrow?

Is the next episode going to be renegade focused?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Seriously... Can we just have the next couple books be about this guy?

Cause he's interesting.

11. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

GREEN ARROW: For the Love of GOD, get him his ring back before he makes things WORSE! He's already buying out my company!

FLASH: WE'RE WORKING ON IT, OKAY?!

12. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Depends on if he can get the crazies like Eiling to back down better. Waller at least was never interested in a first strike, merely that CADMUS could effectively counter the League no matter what it took. If Peter could provide effective alternatives that don't involve morally dubious means, DCAU Waller wouldn't have a problem at all with the new methods. Eiling on the other hand is the jackass who took the order to kill doomsday as an excuse to launch a nuke not just at Doomsday but Superman and an inhabited island(with a drug trafficking history). Also keeping Milo from releasing Doomsday, that would be a good thing.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm betting that Peter may try to make CADMUS to be less trigger happy in this universe, maybe more like a government run metahuman agency that makes sure that metahumans can be policed by the government, but not like some of the crap we've seen in Marvel comics where it's just basically slavery.

As well as providing metahumans with training for how to use their powers and other job opportunities that don't involve the superhero/supervillain thing.

And hopefully he'll make sure that CADMUS doesn't deliberately antagonize the League in this story, but yeah if Eiling and Luthor are on the board then that will be a difficult thing to do.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He could act as a mole and give info to the League. It would help guilt trip the League even more.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Suing the League not going as well as you thought, Peter? I suppose it's hard to throw lawyers at people who've saved the world multiple times and not look like the bad guy...

Because of course Batman managed this. This ain't Bat-dad from Earth-16, after all. This is pure 'prep-time is god' Dark Detective era.

Ah, a business lunch, eh? Or simply a lunch between business friends. At least this Max Lord isn't the cape-hating telepath... Is he?

Something which Peter would no doubt have issues with now and again. The joy of looking up minor or reformed super-criminals as your lead research staff members.

I mean, he would probably assume Peter is talking about a Cosmic Rod, given he likely knows Peter carries them for self-defence...

Hmm, now would that make him paranoid or just curious?

Yay for the legal system...

Doesn't matter how big your stick is, if you can't swing it...

Indeed. I bet more than a few have their suspicions that Peter is secretly a supervillain, just biding his time until he can unveil an army of super-powered soldiers to carry out a plan to take over the world (Of Course!) You just know the Question is investigating that very possibility.

Hey, as far as they know, he was working with an alternate, 'evil' League. And you know superheroes tend to be a bit shortsighted...

Far too many examples of 'Evil' leagues to count, really. So many reverse-morality alternate Earths, or Earths ruled by 'undesirable' political groups... And the animated League ran into so many of them.

Ah, the old times, before broadband. I remember spending hours on the phone to download a hundred megabyte zip of fan-made Heroquest stuff... With a downloader plugin running on the browser in case my line dropped.

:rolleyes: Ah, the naiveté of the early internet days...

Ha! The ultimate paparazzi upgrade. Bet there were a few court cases over bonked noses or bruised foreheads... Never minding the sheer invasion of privacy they'd be capable of.

Ah, private security services. For when you get raided by supervillains who aren't vulnerable to a bullet.

Heheh... What year did forensics-focused shows like CSI start, again? Imagine their plotlines in a superhero universe! 'Law and Order: Metahuman Crimes Division' would actually be a thing!

...Given what their background there said, possessive doesn't begin to cover it... Wonder how much it cost to produce them..

:D What, you think he'd stage supervillain attacks just to have something to grab ratings?

It is honestly amazing how long some guys can hide out before the itch drives them to commit some flashy crime that gets a cape on their case.

That's (presumably Barbara Ann Minerva,) the animated Cheetah, for reference. Fluffy kitty hugs for the win.

Blame the mentality of the DCAU America and how they favour the independent vigilante over the government-sponsored types. Goes all the way back to cowboy days, if heroes like the Two-Gun Kid and The Vigilante are typical.

Good analogy. Not every superhuman will be equivalent to a walking nuke, but there are enough... Like Captain Atom. Or the Rocket Reds. Do the Great Ten exist in the DCAU? Government-controlled superhumans would be its own arms race...

I see Peter has opinions on the power of mundane versus marvellous... I mean, sure, that might not work if that someone has bullet-resistant skin or a force-field... But there's always bigger guns.

...Oh, boy howdy... Even if he doesn't remember DCAU specifics, he should know that name well enough from the comics. Admittedly, his memory won't be as clear, what with no ring-assisted recall.

Huh, well, that's a kick in the pants. If he doesn't just nope his way out of any association with Cadmus, at least he might be able to provide a voice of reason to the less sensible plans that inevitably crop up in such super-projects.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, but I can see that happening only if Cadmus starts acting like they did in canon.

If they don't act like that but act as a sane and rational group then Peter has no reason to help the League.

17. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, what ever you want to say about Waller she was quite sane and rational. Thank you very much and had no interest in kicking a hornets nest by provoking the League, at least not before she was 120% ready to do so.

ChestBurster, zeebza, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  18. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

While something like that would be a good idea, that's not really what DCAU CADMUS is about. CADMUS is about correcting the power imbalance between the League and the American Government, of developing contingencies so that if the Justice League ever did go rogue(like in that alternate timeline), the American Government would be able to defend itself rather then getting absolutely curbstomped.

And as morally dubious as it was, I can kinda understand why they went with their own clone metahuman army. With the Justice League expanding, acquiring and enlisting all the "superhero" metahumans around, CADMUS would have been left with either relying on Supervillains(a dumb idea if there ever was one), making their own metahumans(what they went with), or accepting that their mission goal is a failure and that correcting the Government/League power imbalance is impossible(not an option).

With Peter on board however, he brings to the table a lot of "super-tech" from his reformed supervillain workforce(who should really not be pressured into fighting the Justice League, would not do well for their mental states or status as "reformed". And frankly, with their tech being reproduced, wouldn't really be needed on the front lines anyway), that could result in an effective alternative to making a clone metahuman army, in the form of an army of enhanced soldiers equipped with super-tech.
    Yeah Luthor's a snake, and curtailing his influence in CADMUS could only result in good things. And it's a shame with how Eiling turned out, when he was first introduced he appeared as a generally good military officer who was fine with working with the League when needed and only developed an issue when he learned that the League had an orbital weapon pointing down(a rather big issue there).

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair to Peter heroes that have saved the world have been sued in the comics, sometimes by very bad guys, and people have actually treated the hero as if they were in the wrong.

There's this whole comic about Joker suing Batman and running for mayor and people are actually taking him seriously and respect him.

And let's not talk about that time Marvel comics had Norman Osborn and Loki run for president and people not somehow laughing them out.

Hell Luthor in the show this universe is set in actually ran for president and people allowed him to despite his past.

Earth 16 may also be the prep guy, but he's just nicer than other versions of Bats.

It has happened in the comics before.

Luthor and the Legion of Doom once pretended to have mended their ways and are using their talents for good and it turned out to be a hoax.

And if I remember correctly the Hyperclan also pretended to b superheroes before turning.

To be fair to them he was helping a criminal organization that is likely responsible for a whole lot of evil things survive.

Sure he was stopping millions from getting killed, but he could have also done that by summoning the Ophidian and handing over the bad guys to the government.

If I remember history correctly the mafia opposed Mussolini, but I don't think anyone's going to start calling them the good guys anytime soon.

Potential for Peter's company to go into show business?

He might have also not read any comics about Cadmus, or he has but due to not having a ring assisted memory he has forgotten most about them.

zeebza, Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No reason why they can't expand their interests and duties.

Eiling kinda was a bad guy in the comics what with the whole Captain Atom thing, but yeah I can see why his cartoon counterpart would be interested in curtailing the power of the League after the whole space laser thing.

And then he went full on Thunderbolt Ross and lost any sympathy I had for him.

Cuchulin, Ardy, RGFJ and 2 others like this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Other universes: the Harrowing! AAAAAAAH!

Peter Wynne: complex socio-economics leading to lawsuits

Now, which one is scarier and potentially more damaging?

22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here? Did he sue the JL as a whole? Mr. Wayne? This sentence makes it seem like he didn't sue Batman? All I got from this is that trial's dragging (also, it's been like a day since his confrontation with the League - how can it be dragging) and he can't go public with it without burning Batman? Could someone explain?

Is Peter going to be annoyed when he find out that Cadmus already hired Tala? She's exactly the kind of talented crazy he's looking for - sane enough to accept employment for doing R&D all day long. And she makes magitech! She could've been his Sephtian!

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He basically ran head long into the reason why it's not usually a good idea for new money to challenge old.

Basically put, Batman used his old money legal connections to bog Paul down in legalities.

24. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

You mean Batman used his sponsor's (Mr. Wayne's) old money or legal connections. Since they are most definitely not a same person!

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually Cadmus is a Brainiac front via Luthor, so Peter is also dealing with an alien invasion, he just doesn't know it.

Yeah, Cadmus is like a Russian nesting doll of rot. Look inside, and oh look, their board of directors is almost a supervillain group. Look after that and oh look, Luthor is playing them. Then the layer after that and it's a Brainiac plot.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The big takeaway I'm getting from this is that the League is never going to face any repercussions for robbing Peter Wynne, aside from him being more confrontational or distrustful of this version of the League. I really wish they could go to Earth 16 and learn that Paul really was a good guy, and that the version of him from Earth -14 is really different.

27. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

This Paul is cool in a different way than the paragon and renegade protagonists. I assume some of Mr Zoat’s personality was overshadowed by avarice-insanity and apotheosis respectively so it feels like we’re seeing a bit more of the original Paul. Specifically one that is “in his element” given his skills in business and economics.

I reckon this Paul is going to integrate cybernetics into his body eventually, in spite of all the options within reach. It remains to be seen whether he will go the minimalist route of Mercy (Luthor’s bodyguard) or a cyborg procedure like Metallo.

28. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Murderist, not rapist.
    Thank you, corrected.
    And less if he makes them less evil.
    Yes to both.
    At this point Green Arrow has already sold his company and is solely focused on superheroing. Peter could buy it, but there isn't really anything special about it.
    Mercy 12 doesn't have cybernetics and Corbin hates his body.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming they actually let Luthor on this version of Cadmus.

They already have a rich guy with a grudge against the League, and this one is much more sane.

He'll always be both in my heart and thoughts.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, DrThoth and 5 others like this.
  30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Ah, personality death and the new person is perfectly willing to consent. Disgusting, but I can see the logic in not calling such an act rape.