1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or, as is more likely, the original made non-functional.

Since with no power you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they did something like strip out the AI and database leaving nothing more then a few dregs of orange light in a changer.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But Ivo doesn't work for Peter, likely because Luthor has some iron Vlad contracts that prevent his employees from working with competitors.

Ivo is also dead at this point.

The restriction is still there, Zoat just forgot about it, but when it was pointed out to him he changed it to 'the ring' instead of 'my ring'

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  3. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Turns out, orange rings do have bobblehead malware!

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, correceted.
    Guardians give Lanterns a lot of leaway for 'clear and present danger' stuff, but he got a ticking off about misrepresenting the situation. And to be fair, they did wrongly accuse him of blowing up a planet not too long ago.
    Thank you, corrected.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Technically it's more lanky pink person malware.

Though Hinon was apparently once a Guardian.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well since it seems my assumption that my point was obvious was sadly not the case- The fact that human science was quite obviously able to replicate Guardian technology makes your argument that guardian technology is beyond human capacity a false statement.

7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

[Conspiracy Theory Hat]

"Ah. But how can you know that Ivo wasn't secretly a Guardian all along! / that Stewart wasn't in cahoots with Ivo! / that Stewart's power ring wasn't replaced by a piece of glowing plastic offscreen!"

8. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Principle of the thing or not I'm still suspicious of the amount of work he put into getting back something he can't even use anymore. I suspect that he's been affected by the orange light more than he realizes.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay, most human tech can't replicate Maltusian tech, but the occasional piece of schizo tech can.

Happy?

Hell for all we know Amazo just gave himself the ability to make energy constructs without actually replicating the tech in the ring, but just making that little addition to his finger.

There are people that can become really pissed about something being taken away from them, even when they can't use said thing.

It also may not be any influence of the orange light, but Paul may just have some odd priorities.

10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

Like wanting the so-called good guys to actually obey the law.

WargWolf, BBJimmy, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  11. Agent Orange

They're vigilantes (or at least used be vigilantes for years before the JL formed - not sure how official they are with the US gov the UN in this universe). They probably still consider laws to be optional guidelines at best. If you think Superman has a flying licence you've got another thing coming. In fact, I've heard sometimes he just slowly floats just above the street several yards away from the crosswalk. He can't be charged with jaywalking because he technically isn't walking. They are all like that.

12. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

The good stuff.

Celestial circle at a minimum, possibly Solar.

That said I suspect they're playing a bit of a deeper game here. Someone capable of organizing the schizotech circus that is the terran scientific community may have value even to the guardians.

13. Agent Orange

That's... a very good point! This might be a job interview!

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Well, they're the DCAU Guardians, so they aren't nearly as bad as the ones in the comics.

BBJimmy, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 3 others like this.
  15. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Well the ones from justice league/unlimited always did seem more reasonable than a lot of other versions. Hell if I remember right their version of the manhunters was even reasonable, like they discovered the problem with them before they wiped out a sector.

BBJimmy, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 2 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They still went crazy, but probably didn't wipe out a whole sector.

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  17. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

He's in the reasonable universe. I can almost feel like there's nothing wrong with the guardians begging cool guys too. :V

Gilhelmi and Doccer like this.
  18. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Worse he got sent to remedial training with kilowog.
    So you just had to be a poozer.
    Drill Sergent Nasty intensifies.

well after running a ton of scans and putting a few monitors and trackers on the ring they let him have it back.
    it's empty so it's no real threat and if he does manage to recharge it they'll find out how and act from there.

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That sucks.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, he may not have even noticed, Raul didn't notice that he couldn't call his original ring 'my ring'.

Ardy and Gilhelmi like this.
  21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

It just sits wrong that John Stewart is the only one who maybe has some consequences from this, and Batman gets off scot free. I mean, yes, it fits Batman, but... I guess technically a third party returning stolen property doesn't absolve the original thief of their criminal culpability, but since Peter is talking civil suit, damages are now hard to show.

Agreed that it's weird how reasonably the bobbleheads are acting, but unfortunately I doubt we'll get an explanation.

22. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

I was going to point out how, under US law, the military does not, technically, own nuclear weapons (they are the property of, and controlled by, the Department of Energy, of all things!), merely maintains custody of them for deterrence purposes, unless their release to the military for use is authorized by the President.

Then I remembered how Eiling was able to unilaterally call in a nuclear strike in the DCAU. Clearly, Earth-12's laws are different.

Under US law, ultralight aircraft do not require registration or a pilot's license, so long as they meet certain restrictions. While Superman arguably does not meet those restrictions (if he qualifies as "unpowered" for those purposes, he's too heavy, while if he qualifies as "powered," his top speed is too high), he also doesn't qualify as a "vehicle" for legal purposes. No laws exist restricting people from flying without some form of mechanical or vehicular aid, so, technically, he wouldn't be breaking any laws.

My guess is that in a world where "flying brick" superheroes exist, they would end up having some additions to the Federal Aviation Regulations made to allow them to successfully blend into existing air traffic. These would likely include requirements to comply with Visual Flight Rules requirements for helicopter operations when flying without contact with air traffic control; to carry an altitude-reporting radar transponder and VHF AM aviation-band communications radio to operate in controlled airspace; to comply with Instrument Flight Rules requirements for operating in bad weather or above 18,000 feet altitude; to comply with airspeed limitations (basically a 250 knot limit below 10,000 feet and a 200 knot limit below 10,000 feet above sea level or about 2000 feet above ground level, whichever is higher, and within five miles of a controlled airport) for collision avoidance; and to carry an anticollision beacon light visible from a distance of at least three nautical miles when flying at night. Note that none of this requires that they, themselves, be registered or licensed, merely that they comply with those restrictions to prevent any "conflict" (read: crunchboomscreaming) with other aircraft. (Now, the communications radio and transponder requirements might effectively require them to register with the FCC for their operating licenses, but that still doesn't require them to have a pilot's license.)

Note that my comments apply to US law; other nations would probably have different (though mostly compatible and standardized) regulations regarding such things. Note also that every nation's aviation laws include an emergency authority that states that, in an emergency situation, the pilot is legally authorized to ignore any and all laws and regulations that would interfere with landing the aircraft safely; I suspect that, for much the same reason, a superhero responding to an emergency situation would be allowed to violate the airspeed restrictions so long as it's done with reasonable care to ensure that they do not cause further problems (such as colliding with an aircraft, or Superman flying down the main drag in Metropolis at supersonic speeds, generating a sonic boom that shatters every window in town). Also, at altitudes above 60,000 feet, airspace is uncontrolled, so for longer rapid-response flights (or even recreational/personal travel flights), any "flying brick" who wanted to go fast could do so up at those lofty heights that few aircraft can reach. Whether it would shave enough time to be worth climbing vertically through the controlled airspace to get there, well...

23. Agent Orange

Ok, first... wow! I really should've expected this by now. No matter how blatantly over the top my post is someone will take it completely seriously. Just to be clear: I was making (attempting to make) a funny post.

Second, thanks for the elaboration on why "flying bricks" might not be breaking any traffic laws (jaywalking or otherwise). I'm sure Mr Zoat will appreciate it when one of his SIs inevitably goes ahead with suing the League.

Of course, I have it on good authority that FAA has a long and troubled history with Superman (no, he isn't the first "flying brick" case in America but he is by far the most well known one). They've been trying to serve him for years but 'Superman' isn't legally a US citizen and even if he was good luck getting him to appear in court over something as trivial as FARs violation.

Recently, Luthor's legal team approached FAA representatives so... fingers crossed.

24. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I bet on this being what happened to John.

I am suspicious that Kyle Rainer was the delivery person. I do not recall him being a lantern in the old JLA or JLAU series, but Hal Jordan was (only seen in the background at Superman's funeral though). But I might be mixing up universes again.

A new lantern usually means that the old lantern is no longer able to do the job. (by death, retirement, or courts-martial) However, suspended for retraining or, as someone else said, space traffic cop duty is a possibility.

I am kind of sad that this means we won't get to see Peter Wynne V. Justice League in Court.

Cuchulin and Agent Orange like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

John does work for them so it makes sense that they would punish him and potentially leave Bats alone.

I doubt they put people in Science Cells for theft, but we don't know what they did to him.

Kyle did show up in the episode where Amazo returned and moved Oa to another dimension.

I think Jordan only showed up in that time travel episode where he briefly replaced Stewart due to some time travel shenanigans.

Kyle apparently spent more time on Oa or in space either training or doing his job away from Earth, so that's why we rarely saw him.

He was most likely sent because he's human and they may have thought he would be better at interacting with other humans.

Hell he may have replaced Stewart as the 2814 Lantern while he's being punished for helping in the theft of the ring.

Sectors also tend to have two Lanterns.

26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Ah, I had just assumed that Jordan was the other Lantern in the sector. Thank you.

And I am going to be seeing Stewart and Kilawog reenacting Full Metal Jacket for the rest of the day. It is hilarious.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Darko like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That custom post-dates the DCAU.

28. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

Wha...

Wow, did not see that coming.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Hopefully not too much of it. Seem to recall the climax of the first half didn't go too well for either Gunnery Sergeant Hartman or Private Pyle. Though I guess bobblehead malware prevents the rings from fully reenacting that scene.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and Xmaster3000 like this.
  30. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

The DCAU Guardians are a little humbler than most versions.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.