1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

So.... What happened to Lantern Stewart then if Kyle Rainer is here?

I really hope that he wasn't Courts-Martialed just for being an unknowing accessory.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I think Kyle got Hal Jordan's origin in the DCAU. So John Stewart was already a Lantern, Abin Sur crashed on Earth and instead of contacting John for support or another smart thing like that, just sent his ring to search for a successor. Kyle got selected and then was sent by John to Oa for training.

Xmaster3000, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The funny thing to me is that making power rings useless if there isn't a lantern is a nerf Zoat added.

Stewart was able to absorb lightning from Static in Static Shock.

Alan, Hal, and Kyle were all able to absorb the magic of the Starheart.

In crossovers, Kyle was able to absorb the energy of the cosmic cube, Thanos's cosmic radiation and magic, and the Silver Surfer's power cosmic.

In Justice League Odyssey, Jessica absorbed the Omega Effect.

So in some alternate universes in hypertime, Blue Lantern Paul wasn't suffering from his lack of lantern but I don't know shocking people like Black Lightning, and Peter would be charging his ring with his cosmic staff, which would have the potential to really derail those storylines.

4. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

If I remember right, Abin was kinda being hunted by Sinestro at the time and sent his ring out to keep Sinestro from taking it(DCAU Sinestro has a thing for taking the rings of Lanterns he beats as trophies). Superman was involved(as this was a Superman Animated Series episode) and ended up helping Kyle defeat Sinestro.

Xmaster3000, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Did you forget about the versions that lack a Lantern, but can still recharge?

Zoat didn't nerf the ring by making it useless without a Lantern.

Sybarite is able to power it by eating demons.

Fantasy and 40k can power it by absorbing the energy of the Warp.

Avengers Paul apparently uses those rune stones to help power his.

MCU uses the power stone.

Peter may have forgotten about Static due to the fact that it's technically set in the JLU universe, and the various versions forget the setting they are in.

He could have also forgotten even if it was in another universe because he lacks a perfect memory, or he never watched that episode, and Static was years away from getting his powers.

Plus while Peter wants the ring he may not want to use it due to the dangers it can bring about if he loses control.

Alan Scott may not exist in Earth 12, and YJ Scott's ring is an old green ring, and Zoat didn't make this up, the writers of the show made this.

So far none of the versions have ended up in a universe where the Starheart would exist.

The reason Peter hasn't started absorbing magic to power his ring is because he may have been unable to find magic users, and Atlantis seems to be mostly tech based in Earth 12, even if they were magical in the past.

Also the thing about not wanting to be driven crazy.

The various versions are also probably going to try and stay as far away from the Omega Effect as they can.

I also don't think the Effect actually powered the ring, but just gave Jess similar powers to Darkseid's.

Another version of a blue ring wielder could have also just gotten their hands on a blue or green lantern to recharge.

Please try to remember the previous events in the story before you post things, because what you write could go against the established canon of the story and may make people who don't remember the previous chapters all that well have the wrong idea as to what's happening.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh that's bullshit, She's not even good at being a Lantern!

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey your SI, who was an average Joe from all we know of his life before the ring, was somehow able to merge with the Ophidian, gain its friendship, become enlightened etc.

The renegade version was also able to become a god, and a highly powerful one at that, managed to gain Darkseid's favor, destroyed a piece of Anti Life etc.

And all the various other versions with all their accomplishments.

Given all this, Jessica isn't the only one whose accomplishments are bullshit, so you really don't have all that much of a leg to stand on.

Also she may not have started out as the best Lantern, but time and various events changed that and she eventually became highly competent.

8. Stsword

No, they were just completely irrelevant.

Converting magic to orange light is a separate canon ability of orange power rings, a technique that Zoat made an advanced ability for story reasons.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply she did it on purpose. lol

It was a complete and total accident.

Jessica got dragged along without her power battery, so she's been complaining about her lack of charge the entire story.

Which made me wonder "Okay did the writers retcon the ability to absorb other energy, did they forget that rings can do that, or does Jessica not know she can do that?"

Anyway, Darkseid crushes her ring as he likes to do with green lanterns and then killed her with omega beams.

Jessica then wakes up.

It turns out that the crushed power ring fragments got imbedded in her body.

When Darkseid blasted her, the ring fragments absorbed the omega effect, so she's now flying about shooting people with omega beams.

Thanks to time travel shenanigans a Jessica Cruz from before her ring got destroyed showed up, so I wouldn't be surprised if Omega Lantern Jessica gets offed for status quo is god to prevail.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay, but you said Zoat nerfed the rings so they can only recharge with a Lantern, when that has been shown as being false and I don't think Zoat ever stated that that is the only way they can be recharged.

Yeah the green rings shown in the story have been powered with a Lantern, but that was because their users didn't have a reason to power it with anything else when they had a good recharge method.

Zoat also probably didn't show that since he either couldn't find a good story reason to, or found it pointless.

Baul also probably doesn't use other methods aside from collecting hope around him because he either doesn't remember how they can be powered in another way, hasn't found a good source, or blue rings can't be powered by other means.

Ohh and the yellow ring can be recharged with that magic stone from Thundercats.

And I'll repeat it that while the Omega Effect may be able to somehow power a ring the various versions are probably going to try and stay as far away from it as possible.

Also the magic absorption may not have been made into an advanced technique by Zoat, seeing as a newbie like Sybarite was able to do it after getting the ring, but Paul may not have remembered about it and found it difficult when he tried using it at first.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Do we really need to point out the irony in that statement given Paul?

11. Stsword

Fair enough.

Actually, I can't recall any evidence that the Omega Effect is innately evil or anything.

It seems to be a tool like magic or the emotional electromagnetic spectrum, Darkseid is just a dick.

Somewhere in hypertime there could be a universe in which Drax managed to get the Omega Effect as planned and a more heroic New God wields the Omega Effect, instead of Drax becoming the Infinity Man.

Although one can presume that didn't happen on Earth-16, unless Darkseid's mother gave birth to a robot.....

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if the Effect isn't innately evil the most likely place they're likely to encounter it is from Darkseid.

I think that Drax built Infinity Man in this universe instead of becoming him, but I could be wrong.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

The Avengers version and the Thundercats version don't recharge from their magic artefacts. They use them to open a portal to a place they can charge from.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I knew that Avengers used the rube stone to open a way to something like the plane of avarice for energy and Hela apparently slapped him for it, but I didn't know LP also did something similar, I just thought he recharged from the stone.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I'm probably lagging way behind with this but is not being able to say "my ring" supposed to make it easier for Hinon or another Controller to take the thing back in case of emergency? Since a lot of ring-slinging is based on how you think about things.

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  16. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

General Eiling wasn't that bad until the grey goo scenario revealed that the Watchtower was armed, and then went paranoid along with Cadmus, then things were exacerbated by the entire fight between the League and Cadmus leading to Cadmus' official disbanding. The Justice Lords thing kind of compounded things there...

At this point, it seems like it's still prior to the grey goo mess, so Cadmus is making plans for things rather than directly planning to face off with the JL.

On top of that, being pleasant at a party or other public scenario means that the General would be putting his best face on for it, and he probably agrees that it might not be the best idea to be having a bunch of criminals building wonder tech. Mainly because it would be, de facto, arming said supervillains the moment they wanted to be on their dime rather than the crooks needing to get the parts first. Eiling is also on the side getting the benefits of it, and Peter is an easy person to hold up as an example of someone doing a better thing than the JL if needed.

Ngamer11, Lord Ernest, Darko and 3 others like this.
  17. Stsword

No.

First of all, the Dark Heart invasion was in December, so it happened last year by that story bit.

Secondly this is Feb, by Feb-

Doomsday was already created at this point, he breaks free in Feb.

Galatea has already been created at this point, she debuted in September the previous year

Eiling has kryptonite warhead missiles.

18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure how many contacts Peter has in the US government, but even if he doesn't remember exact details of the DCAU, I should hope he's had some plans to deal with Cadmus, since things generally go wrong with it in most settings, I believe. As well as Suicide Squad/Task Force X, to a lesser degree. I think it reasonably falls under his purviews of organization and managing (ex)-supervillains. So far there's nothing in his internal narration to suggest he's worried about anything they're up to, and I feel like there should be.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not remember about Cadmus

The versions lose their memories of the setting they are in so he would have lost his knowledge of the show, and he may not remember all that much about comic Cadmus.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, in regards to Avengers!Paul, it only makes sense that there's likely a dimension/plane of pure Avarice Energy to recharge his ring with. Marvel's got dimensions for EVERYTHING.

Speaking of Marvel, if HoX/PoX is canon in some of the Marvel Universes that Paul has been deposited in, I wonder if the "Groundhog Day" looping Moira MacTaggert is basically his Unknown Rival due to a rather VICIOUS adversarial relationship they probably would have had in the last two timelines....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Darko, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Summer's End

Late Summer, IC 687

Someone's done something stupid.

While I may be acknowledged as a deity in the Saderan Empire, my shrine isn't exactly a bustling place of worship. Ever since the local gods carried out their marginally clever plan to trap me here, they've also made an effort to keep me marginalised. Not a huge effort; I think they got a little bored when I decided not to struggle against it. But the more popular cults hereabouts make a point of making sure that visits here are discouraged, and I'm perfectly happy for them to do that. Even with my physical form limited to my old power ring… Larfleeze's old power ring I should say, I'm perfectly capable of reaching out with its sensors so as to avoid being driven peculiar by boredom. And the followers I do have appear to appreciate my more accessible approach when compared to the locals.

What I don't get is high-ranking government officials visiting me. Oh, sometimes they send aides, sometimes their younger children come looking for a path to power when they know that their older siblings will inherit everything… But my cult is far too 'fringe' for the politically conscious to be directly associated with it.

So why the heck are the Praetorian Guard in my antechamber?

"…few rules that the God of Ambition enforces, oh Emperor. Everyone speaks to him alone."

"And who are you to tell me who I may take with me?"

"No one!"

Oh, you and I are going to have words about pointing spears at my priests, Emperor Molt. I'm rather fond of young Daniel.

"No one! But last time someone did that he broke their legs!"

Which is still less than the local gods generally do: burning out a devotee to share a few words with the locals. The fact that I don't do that might be why he's coming to speak to me, almost certainly about that big blob of fear I can feel from Alnus Hill.

Molt stares Daniel down for a few moments before turning away and striding into my shrine, walking halfway across the small and plainly decorated room before stopping to stare up at… Me. The statue representing both my human form and the Ophidian, the two parts together holding the ring that is my connection to the material world.

So many years and I can still laugh about it. I'd known that gods generally couldn't manifest their full power in the material universe without a vast array of preparations but I didn't realise before I came through their oversized dolmen gate that by local standards I had reached that standard. And I couldn't do what Zeus did and create an avatar for myself because it doesn't work like that here. I'm still not sure whether it was intentional or a pure fluke on their part.

"Oh Great God of Ambition, I, Molt Sol Augustus, ruler of our great Empire, seek your blessing as we wage the holy war decreed by the gods!"

This sort of thing is really meant to be like a confession. A private session where people confess their heart's desires and I give them a little advice and guidance. He's left the door open and is trying to turn it into a small piece of state theatre. Probably planning to seize my ring as proof of his authority… And probably murder a few priests on the way out.

If I had lungs, I'd sigh.

Instead, I pull the doors closed behind him. His guards look a little concerned, but when Daniel doesn't react they appear to assume that it's just one of the mysteries of my cult. Molt himself tenses very slightly, but he doesn't look around even when the doors clonk shut.

"I don't remember decreeing a war. Are you sure that you've come to the right temple?"

Hearing my voice affects him more than the doors, but he's still respectably self-possessed.

"The Great Gate opened upon the Holy Hill. Such a thing is a sign from the gods."

"Not necessarily. Depending on the relationship between the worlds on either end, it could be the action of one powerful god. I certainly didn't have anything to do with it."

"Mf."

Ah, that's news, I see. Did he think that the gods of this land had any sort of internal unity? Oh, goodness me.

"And when this gate opened, what did you do?"

"The Empire did our sacred duty; we dispatched an army to conquer the barbarian lands on the far side."

I give him a few moments to continue.

Okay then.

"And why have you come here, to the temple of a god that you don't worship?"

"I am here to ask for your aid in our war with the barbarians, who even now threaten the holiest site in the Empire. The war is the pride of the Empire, a manifestation of our combined ambition to conquer all who stand before us!"

"That isn't how this works, Emperor Molt."

"If you wish to receive a sacrifice before you will offer your blessing-."

"How much effort did you put into finding out how my cult works?"

Another tiny flicker of emotion. He rushed this.

"Let me explain it to you, then. I do not give things to people who ask for them. The Empire's ambition belongs to the Empire. Your ambitions are your own. The struggles, the costs and rewards are yours. By taking away from that I would undermine myself, and that I will not do. At most, I offer guidance on how they can most effectively be realised."

"Then what should I do? What guidance can you give me that will allow me to crush the barbarians?"

Frankly, not a lot. Through the veil's dimness, I can see the fear, flames and conflagration, but the image isn't clear enough for me to see what the exact cause is.

"Tell me, did your army scout the barbarian lands before marching through? Did you send men disguised as merchants to learn their languages and customs, to study their warcraft and weapons? Did you send light cavalry, to reconnoitre their defensive positions and raid their supply lines?"

His face hardens.

"We did not."

"And you lost, didn't you? Whoever these barbarians are, they were strong enough to throw you back. I can see them, their position on this side of the gate. And if they could throw the legions back when caught unawares, they will do better when they are prepared."

He reluctantly nods.

"What is your ambition, Emperor Molt?"

"To see the Empire expand; to make its armies strong, its people wealthier-."

"Try again. Honestly, this time."

"I do want those things. But I want to become powerful enough to rule without those fools in the senate, to concentrate power and authority in the person of the Emperor. I believed this war would give me the opportunity to do that."

It still could, of course. A partial loss can be used by a sufficiently cunning politician to do all manner of things victory couldn't justify. And Emperor Molt is a reasonably cunning leader. With me advising him…

But he did threaten Daniel.

"If you want me to salvage the situation, I will need something from you."

"Name it, oh God of Ambition."

"Your son."

"Prince Zorzal El Caesar is-."

"No, not him."

He didn't even hesitate. Sad.

"The one who isn't a nitwit. If I'm going to take to the field I want a bearer who can keep up his end of an intelligent conversation. Grant Prince Diabo command of the Imperial forces in the area and then send him here. I will negotiate with the barbarians on your behalf. And then you and I will talk about the future of the Empire."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  22. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I've no idea what is happening

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This is a surprise. How in the world did this version of Paul end up in what is basically the sandbox of sociopathic gods?

He's in the world of Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There (Gate - Jieitai Kare no Chi nite Kaku Tatakaeri).

24. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i hope he helps stop the state sponsered slavery

25. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

'before I'

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'in the'

'it could be'

So did this Paul end up in a DC universe and then somehow ended up in this universe, because he mentioned Zeus and Larfleezes ring?

Is this an original version of Paul, or one of the previous ones we saw, but after he ended up in a new universe?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  27. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm guessing Hardy and Emroy have issues with the "God of Ambition"? I wonder what he did....

Pull off a nearly successful "Rage Against The Heavens" campaign that almost ended up with Hardy killed?

28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Neat, I'm glad I could recognize it.

Honestly, considering that Gate is basically a Japanese version of a 'MURICA! FUCK YEAH! series with all the modern day forces roflstomping the fantasy forces I expect that Paul will have fun here.

29. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

It's a series called Gate-Thus the JSDF Fought There. Think of it like Japanese Stargate but with magic. And I'm really interested in how this goes, the gods of Falmart(the continent the empire is on) end up openly admitting that they treat their world like a garden, including "pruning" the mortal races so that they don't advance beyond the level the gods want them to be at. Including by violent means if necessary(which really pissed off the wizards, scholars and generally important people in the Empire when they learned this because it meant they'd always be at the mercy of more advanced cultures and races(including an insectoid race who are basically the bugs from Starship Troopers)). The gods of Falmart are in fact openly contemptuous of the gods of earth for letting humanity surpass the gods with technology, to them things like space flight and cloning are like mortals playing at god.

Occasionally the gods open up a "gate" to bring in new mortal races or for other reasons. In this situation is was because Hardy, the local underworld goddess, thought that the Empire was getting a bit too arrogant and needed to be humbled, and so opened the Gate to a more advanced world(Japan, Earth) in order to humble them, but she didn't realize just how advanced Earth actually was before doing so. Had she known ahead of time, she'd never had open the Gate since it threatens the stasis the gods enforce.

megamiaouh, Jaron, Eld_Tiger and 42 others like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ha, now I wnat a Paul in Black & White.

Thoguh that game doesn't really have enough story to write about.

Actually, a game were you're a god, sponsoring the heroes, would be cool.

ChestBurster and Relyt33 like this.