1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

A scout force from a Rome/Mideval empire goes through a magic gate and arrives in The Ginza district of tokyo.
    mayhem ensues and some of the scout force makes it back with some captured slaves.

Japan interrogates members of the scout force and then sends a task force to secure the other end of the gate.

Once they have a foothold the Empire gets word of this and sends in the Legions.

First "Battle" of Alnus hill ensues and is a one sided slaughter.

This looks like it's taking place some time between the First and second Battle of Alnus hill.

The second Battle is The emperor Calling all his Vassal states and their armies to move in on the hill.
    Either it removes the JSDF or It weakens the Vassals so they don't get ideas now that the Legions are diminished.

one of the other knock off effects of the Battles is Deserters from the legions that managed to survive the battle turn to banditry and ravage the countryside

this directly leads to the siege of Italica and the JSDF breaking said siege with helicopter air support
    and again a one sided slaughter.

so looks like Paul is trying to either prevent the second battle or at least keep the Vassal kings alive to hamstring the Emperors ambitions.
    plus if said kings survive to spread word that they are hopelessly outmatched the emperor looks like a fool and will have to be wary of suffering "accidents"

of course this leaves First Prince Zorzal up for the throne and he have made great strides in the field of being a fucking moron.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat you may want to change the coloring of your title for this episode to red.

When I asked you if this was going to be a renegade focused episode you said yes.

The title for this episode, Summers End, should be in red like the previous renegade episodes titles, assuming this is still going to be renegade focused.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, the title is still colored in the color you use for paragon chapters instead of being red like a renegade chapter.

ChestBurster and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

CoughRussiaCough. But yeah, almost anytime Russia showed up, it was usually because they did something that they needed the Americans to save them from, with occasionally them being useful allies.

6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair, the US fucked up some things as well, and had it's share of corrupt/incompetent military and political figures. It's more along the lines of "the SG-1 team has to save the bacon of every country, including their own.

7. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

Yeah, Russia was the butt-monkey of SG-1. After their initial forays into attempting to use a stargate, they were either America's yes-men in international politics or simply "those guys who use the threat of 'taking back their stargate' and never actually go through with it".

To elaborate on this, it was biased to be in support of the US military to the detriment of civilian and private organizations, such as the NID, politicians, the media, and the wealthy. Given, it was fairly nuanced in its approach, but that bias was still clearly there every time there was a subplot centered around control of the stargate program.

I'll hate on the government, politicians, the media, and the wealthy as much if not more than the next American, but choosing the military over them? Ehhh... Not something to talk about on this here forum.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What you forgot to mention, is that that was because we were watching the threading the needle timeline, and the Earth's in the timelines that did those other things died horribly.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I remember the episode of SG-1 where the Russian Gate program was wiped out, and it was their fault.

And really, none of the other nations figured out what was going on? Our security is good, but not that good. That is some incompetence on the international intelligence community. (It's Cheyenne mountain, that is a joint US/Canadian facility. Canada should have easily put the bloody pieces together.)

I admit, SG-1 was more balanced and subtitle on how it treated foreign Earth governments. Alien governments were constantly shat on though.

I think GATE would have been better with a multi-national force lead by Japan. Perhaps build more suspense by having magic users actually used to fight us. (I did feel bad about laughing at the 120,000 dead enemy combatants. I mean, why did they keep charging into death like that? We figured out Calvary charges don't work less than a month into WW1 and each nation learned that lesson less than once.... usually.)

Still, it was nice to see another nation doing the "(local), Fuck Yeah" for a change.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I'm not really sure how Paul's longevity could possibly be unique.

Who wants to be old and decrepit? If you're not already suicidal, who wants to die? Even as a subconscious desire, a general state of youthfulness and good health seems like it'd be pretty much a given.

Unless you're saying that with most people, eventually ennui gets the better of them and they just stop wanting to extend their lifespan.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's more like some people just aren't afraid of death and are perfectly at peace with dying.

This doesn't mean they're suicidal, but that they're just not afraid to die.

Yeah they may like to extend their lifespan a bit and stay in good health but they may not want to live forever.

Paul probably isn't unique in the longevity department when it comes to the OLC and its Lanterns, but that doesn't mean that there aren't Lanterns who just aren't interested in immortality or longevity.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Bit surprised this Paul is willing to travel to other universes given if he dies in them he won't get an afterlife.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Russia had a Stargate program going for a while before their base got taken over. That sort of thing happened to the SGC several times. The only difference is that we also saw the SGC's successful missions.
    There's a fic around here somewhere where the fact that the US responded immediately to the Saderan Empire with all of the forces they've got in Japan, combined with the fact that the closest military unit to the emergence point is in real life the marines guarding the US embassy, meant that the Japanese had to let the US take part. The result was a double stomp, though at least the harem got shared around a bit more.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually the only difference was that Russia installed a no countdown Nerve Gas system that would kill every living thing in the base.

Which killed every living thing on the base...

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

It's very likely the members of the OLC who species have shorter life spans will have them extend because they want to live nearly as long as their close friends, companions and loved ones. I remember there was a Green Lantern from one race very long lived race that fell in love with Hal Jordan, where despite the fact that she was older than him looked like a 12 year old.

infinityDivided and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I didn't know about this.

Guess the thing with Arisia Rabb wasn't his only weird and disturbing romance in the GLC.

infinityDivided and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*facepalms* did they take an OPFOR using robotics/sealed environmental gear into account, or did they canonically jump for a half-assed solution?
    that...sounds like a pretty dumb solution even for peak I-WORKED-WITH-STALIN-AND-NOW-BELIEVE-EVERYONE-AROUND-ME-IS-PLANNING-TO-MURDER-ME-era Soviet paranoia...

... i mean, alien life as a threat- absolutely -no- guarantee that any per-formulated agent will have the desired effect on their biology/metabolism....

....they had a remote-triggered nuke as a backup, right? right?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, my fault, I misremembered that storyline into something that actually made some sense.

I thought that Arisia's argument was that the years on her planet were longer than Earth's so she was technically older.

I had forgotten a rule one should remember when it comes to comics- writers were obviously paid in drugs and booze.

Arisia's argument was that her planet's years were half as long as Earth's, so while she was 13 in Earth years she was 26 in Gratoxian years.

An argument that's kind of up there with "I'm of age in dog years!"

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

As far as we know the Nerve Gas was only thing they had...

Gantradies likes this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was re-reading Episode 81 (Hoard AKA The One with the Dragon) and wanted to ask if we'll see the gnome warren and how Switzerland is doing with their new citizenry anytime soon. Are they getting in touch with other gnome warrens in the world or anything like that? I'm not sure what the scope of their proposed Dolmen Gate project is, but it seems like something the EU would be interested in, especially if there are other warrens.

Darko, Ardy, Fellow and 1 other person like this.
  21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That makes sense, slightly more sense to have happened in a main stream comic. But at the same time I can easily see a "Space Elf" that is Forty or fifty Earth years old but looks like she is about thirteen maybe fourteen and claiming that made it okay to have a relationship with a thirty to forty year old human. I mean how old is the Martian Man hunter in the comics? Also YJ M'gann M'orzz is about twice as old as she seems and by dating Super Boy she is technically robbing the cradle almost literally.

Darko likes this.
  22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The show itself showed the US Airforce in such good light due to the fact that they partnered with the show runners, which let them get access to a few places and toys. The constant use of the external shots of the base were of the actual NORAD base. The show however was filmed in canada, and a lot of the extra's were Canadian.

The only in universe Canadian that gets screen time was Dr Rodney McKay. He showed up a handful of times on SG1 but was main cast for the spinoff for Atlantis.( By dint of his Canadian-ness the Ancient power sources are refereed to as Zed-P-M's and not Zee-P-M's on the show most of the time.) The character, at age 6, built a non working nuclear warhead for a science fair, which he complains about the CIA coming to collect it....which is REALLY weird considering...CANADA, whats the CIA doing here? This is a job for CSIS. Anyway, in his pre spinnoff days he was working at Area 51 and was a peer to Carter in Gate based tech.

That bit actually makes a fair amount of sense, Lockheed's Skunk Works, and a lot of the other stuff at Groom Lake, were staffed by folks that left Canada after the Avro programs shut down. Many of the same people went to NASA around that time too. And Yes, we're still bitter about the Avro Arrow Project.

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The gnomes may not be able to mass produce those gates like the Atlantians can, even if they make contact with other Warren's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Threadmarks: Summer's End (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

I tumble through thin air-

Oh
    Fuck

-as Artemis slips from my grip, rings guttering as I try to generate a flight aura. To no avail. Above us the Castle Revolving is.. gone -if it was ever there- and I see only a murky mist through which a dull red light shines. Below, grey, grey and more grey.

Mother Box?

Ppppppppiiiiiiinggg.

Oh dear. Right, aero-discs.

I'm jerked around for a moment as they misfire, Artemis.. drifting further away as she flattens herself in the air to stabilise her tumbling and maximise her air resistance. I'm a little behind in her health checks, but I… Don't think she's tough enough to survive a terminal velocity fall onto rock. In my case-

She carefully takes an arrow from her quiver, puts it on her bow and fires it at the ground. A second arrow follows it.

-I'm more worried about the health of what I land on. Unless this is a future where Apokolips opened up some fire pits…

In any case, landing on people would create a bad impression. I Am The Eggman. I Am The Walrus.

My aero-discs finally activate, and-
    Cut Through Space.
    -rainbow bubbles percolate through the air below us-
    Path to the Ground.
    -and then the ground is there and we're slamming into crash-foam.

Artemis lands flat, sinks a short distance as the space age quick-hardening rubber depresses to absorb her kinetic energy, and then rebounds, leaping a short distance into the air. Then I hit it and it explodes, flecks of white foam flying in all directions as Artemis lands lightly a short distance away.

And my aero-discs fail again. But I'm down, and a small amount of residual rubber aside I'm none the worse for wear.

"Artemis, are you alright?"

"Uh-huh." She's looking around. "What just happened?"

"Sivana sprung a surprise on me. Us. The plan was for me to board the Castle Revolving-"

I look myself over and begin plucking strips of rubber off myself.

"-alone, but…"

"He wanted revenge for them killing his family."

I nod. "I knew that he was distressed, but after we prevented Magnificus committing suicide I assumed that he'd.. worked through it."

"So you don't think he managed to… Undo time and bring them back?"

"I doubt it. Not in a rush job like that." I give her my full attention. "Was that Tao's rainbow bridge technique?"

"Yeah, I've been able to do it for a few months now." She stops scanning our environment and gives me her full attention. "Which you'd know if you ever came around the Mountain any more."

"I don't.. think I'm authorised." Quick equipment check… Daiklave's still there. Yay. Sword of the Fallen… Yes. Ranged weapons are a big fat no, and drones..? No, no drones.

"You know where we all live."

"You know where I live. And unlike you, I set my own admissions policy. How is Miss Kane getting along?"

"She's-." She looks around again. "Can we focus? Where are we?"

I look around. The ground is covered in… Some sort of grey… Building material? Coral? Without a ring I can't do a proper analysis, but I don't recognise it. Not Apokoliptian though, so there's that at least.

"Not sure. That green liquid is supposed to send things that go through it to random points in time, and assuming that it ignored galactic drift somehow this should be Earth."

"Past or future?"

I nod. "One of those." Hm. "If that red light is reflected volcanism then this could be the past. And the sky could be obscured by high altitude dust. Finding food could be awkward if we're that far back. Alternately-."

"We're in the far future and the sun's turning into a red giant."

"In which case that's evaporated water up there. Except…" I hold my hands out to the sides. "If the sun's expanded enough to heat up the Earth to the point of evaporating enough water to enshroud the entire planet… The surface should be hotter than this. There should be a run-away greenhouse effect, like on Venus. I mean… Is it just me? Does this feel hot to you?"

"It feels… Maybe sixty?"

Or fifteen in new money. Which matches my estimation. I nod.

"So the temperature's wrong for a natural system-death."

"Unless they're using Captain Cold's freeze technology to keep the planet cool."

"I… Kind of hope that human civilisation either has better things to do than preserve the old homeworld or they've got a better way to do it. Because frankly, if anyone wants to live here then letting the sun go giant is a sub-optimal outcome."

"I…"

Artemis trails off, frowning. Then she crouches down and uses a target arrow to pick up a fragment of rubber. It's heavily decayed, falling apart as we watch, and I idly note that the rest is doing the same thing.

I nod approvingly. "Very environmentally friendly."

"Yeah, it would be, but this stuff isn't. We couldn't make something that did what we wanted and melted fast and safe afterwards. This stuff should stick around for days unless someone uses a solvent."

I nod. "My rings are dead, otherwise I'd run an analysis. And Mother Box is…"

"Peeeeiiing."

"Struggling."

"There could be chemicals in the air." She prods her arm computer and gets no response. "Nothing. Any idea what kills power rings?"

I raise my left hand and take a closer look.

"I don't think they're damaged. It just looks like… Their power's drained. I was near full power when I went through the portal, and… I don’t think that protecting us in transit would have wiped the batteries by itself."

She stows her bow and pries open the computer's casing. "Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with-." She blinks, and I step forward to take a closer look.

The metal is corroding as I watch. There's already a patina across nearly-. Across the entire surface. Plastic is becoming brittle and flaking.

"What's happening?"

"I don't know. Some sort of.. curse, perhaps?"

I take another look at my rings, but other than the lack of power they're both fine. I draw my daiklave and look it over carefully, but it doesn't appear to be affected. I stab the point into the ground and it cuts through perfectly well. My armour… Yes, that's fine.

Artemis has taken her arrows out and is checking them, muttering curses as the material of the shaft crumbles in her grip.

"Your.. bow?"

She drops the decaying remains of the arrow and examines her bow. It looks fine to me, and it appears that she agrees. "Scott and Barda got me this from an Apokoliptian chick they beat up. But most of these arrows were made on Earth."

I nod. "Whatever's doing this, New God technology is… At least resistant." I look around into the fog. "We need to investigate."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  25. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Sooo Sheeda future? They have to raid the past because in their present nothing stays.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So she's been getting some tips on magic archery from Tao.

What was that bridge thing supposed to do, I don't remember much about the Great Ten comics, was it some kind of teleportation?

Stan Smith will be the walrus.

(Sorry can't highlight god speech)

Who was this again?

'letting the sun'

Ahh take it from Artemiz to give it to Artemis.

27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nice to see the Renegade Team again (well, one member anyway), character interactions are generally where this fic shines. Wonder if they'll discuss how things went with Jade.
    Is Tao's rainbow bridge technique something from the comics or an original invention? Either way, it's cool to see other forms of New God magic being used (I've probably asked this before, but has Robin considered getting Awakened by Mister Miracle or someone else? He should see the benefits it's provided).

Ardy, Prince Charon, McGraw and 5 others like this.
  28. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Definitely Sheedaland. Vampire sun.
    Can't you replace it with something?

29. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Vampire sun. Yeah, they're in sheeda-land.
    Good thing they're both new-gods, else I suspect they'd decay as fast as their tools.

30. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, that's why they're so big on biological technologies.