1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

But who/what are you basing this conclusion on? Paul - a soulless abomination (conjured Ex nihilo by Mr Zoat at the start of the story) turned Orange Elemental trapped in flesh? Larfleese an insane gremlin overwhelmed by Orange light on top of belonging to a naturally stupidly long lived species? There were no other Orange Lanterns before Paul did his thing and they haven't been Lanterns long enough for aging to matter so any conclusions you draw are based on... what? One or two data points?

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I just have a strong suspicion that they're not immediately going to age until they're dust when they take off their rings.

I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

Paul doesn't revert to look like he did before he came to Earth 16 when he takes his ring off, and Jade didn't revert to her previous self, when she didn't have a lot of empathy, when she took the ring off, so it's not that difficult to imagine that they won't suddenly age to dust when they take the ring off if they used it to extend their life.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

While there are certain life-extension spells that have a 'snap back' effect, biologically rebuilding your body doesn't.

4. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Is that because it doesn’t repair DNA or because of soul shenanigans? And don’t most people want to stay at peak functionality, which is effectively wanting immortality with extra steps? Like, I can’t imagine most lanterns want to get old and decrepit even if they don’t have any strong feelings relating to long-term lifespan.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Oh, yeah. Grayven healed her after a (power-related) car accident, right?

Gilhelmi, Chaoswind and Darko like this.
  6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Which Melmoth doesn't want to do. We can't necessarily assume that the Sheeda are Always Chaotic Evil to the last man. Er, elf. Er, Sheeda. Anyway - based soley on his words.

Maybe all the ones at the top are, maybe most of them overall are, but there's bound to be at least one Drizz't amonst them somewhere.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

Unless they're literary born evil due to say something like a genetic memory.

Even if there are some non evil Sheeda they're most likely a very small minority.

There have been purely evil races shown in this story, like the Psions and Citadelians.

Different people want different things, so maybe some of the Lanterns may actually want to get old, due to say their culture respecting old age, or they may find immortality to not be something they want.

They may make themselves not experience any decrepit pains of old age, there are old people that can lead strong and exciting lives, but that's it.

8. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

The first movie, specifically, although if incompetence from other countries is something you're looking for, the second has more of that...

but you can sub in many of the movies sponsored by US military as far as similar patriotic hype goes.

9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Sword of the Fallen to the Sun?

10. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

It's the only way to be sure. Have Artemis fire it with her rainbow magic bow.

11. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Always nice to give celestial body a good shanking, helps keep them modest.

12. Mr Zoat

The US military hired Justine Hammer.

13. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Am I the only one looking forward to the Grayven-Artemis duo? She's always been one of the few people to actually seem to like him.

14. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Better things to do than?
    Better things that?

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Is that a James Bond reference?

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yeah, I always thought he was a bit of a girl too.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Harrowings are just as much a distraction from how shitty the Sheeda leadership is as they are a means for acquiring resources.

That "normal" Sheeda would basically revolt if they weren't being pointed at non-Sheeda to go fuck up.

Granted, even if they did go to another world they could all still be malicious assholes.

19. Pez

Pez Spaceman

*Sheeda Harrowing the latest civilizations.*
    Melmoth: "Are you not entertained?!"

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, it's a British history reference, and James Bond is (nominally) British. Britain overhauled its currency in... I think 1971? And it became something of a meme to have to convert back and forth between "old money" and "new money" to get an intuitive feel for how much something was actually worth. People don't have to do that anymore because it's been like 50 years since then, but the slang has stuck around as a snarky reference to other similar conversions between old-fashioned and current measurements -- in this case between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the Roman leaders used bread and circuses, which involved gladiatorial fights to the death between slaves, to entertain their subjects and make the empire seem powerful even when it was struggling, so you may have a point that the Sheeda leadership are also using such monstrous methods to stay in power.

22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The poor also got to eat the meat from the Animals that were killed in the arenas from what I understand.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt the Sheeda rulers are that kind to their subjects.

Cuchulin, Istaran and Ardy like this.
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, he is already dating Luna... but is gonna be interesting.

Gilhelmi, Istaran, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  25. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Leaving canon idiocy aside, the following instruments are available:
    1) Foreign debt of Japan. Bug it out, call it in, crash the economy
    2) Import sanctions. Japan is not self sufficient in terms of vital resources, such as oil. Or food. Or materials needed for its industries.
    3) Personal sanctions against the government members.

It also wouldn't be about foreign companies doing business on the other side. It would, from the start and till near the end, be about national and global security. Markets won't factor into the situation for a long time. Because this is a new phenomenon. One that makes MAD obsolete and also introduces a sh*tton of new security issues.

The moment gate appears, the whole area will be taken over by the joint forces of the U.N. Security Council and friends (basically everyone important).

26. Mr Zoat

Those options are available, but how quickly would they realistically happen?

And food wouldn't be a problem. That's one thing they can import through the gate relatively quickly and cheaply.
    I doubt that very much. Not with China and the US both having vetoes.

27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I don't get it. Why those lyrics?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You seem to have forgotten a number of things,

1) The gate is only about 12m wide and in the middle of downtown Tokyo, limiting how much can be transported through it at any one time.

2) The nations on the other side of the gate are basically a little above subsistence level, meaning they don't have food to spare to feed the tens of millions in Japan.

3) Food/Import safety standards that make importing alien food problematic and dangerous.

Why in the world would they Veto it?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Gantradies, Idkusername and Cuchulin like this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

The US would veto it so China doesn't get anything from the gate and China vetos to stop the US getting anything from the gate.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You're forgetting that that would leave Japan with sole control of the gate.

And neither China nor the US would want that.