1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Viewing CrW and NSFW CrW at the same time

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Asura, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Asura

Asura Demi-God of Wrath

It's no secret that the NSFW Creative Writing board gets way more traffic than the "normal" one, seeing as it is the main draw of the website, but I had the thought that it could be different. SB and SV allow you to filter Worm stories out of the main Creative Writing board, so would it be possible to include the normal Creative Writing board with the NSFW board in a "Combined" board, while still keeping the two boards separate for those who want to only view either or?

It's a lot more effort to look through two boards for something you'd enjoy, and it would make it easier on anyone trying to post stories and things in the SFW section to get traffic if they could be viewed at the same time as the NSFW things so long as they can be filtered out if required. A tag at the top to let people know that this is a "SFW" story would help filter out NSFW comments, but I think over all it would be quite healthy for QQ as a whole.

2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

I approve of this idea in principle. Any larger overhauls to the site like this will have to wait until the Xenforo 2 upgrade, which will be coming soon but will take a little while.

3. Asura

Asura Demi-God of Wrath

Yeah, I wouldn't know how feasible it is, but it would be a lot healthier than leaving the SFW boards to languish as they are now. Great to hear that it's possible when we get Xenforo 2.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Even with Xenforo 2 that'd require coding up a custom module for it to be done server-side, would it not?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Facepalmist

Facepalmist Well, that happened...

Not necessarily, if I'm reading this thread right.

For instance, it could be a case of both SFW & NSFW links on the main page leading to the same, now combined list - just with the relevant filter selected by default to trim out the NSFW or SFW threads. In which case, deactivating the filtering options on either threadlist (whether by Aggregation Settings [SB's XF2], Filters [SV's XF2] or by Thread Display Options [what QQ has now]) would reveal the whole N+SFW list. Similar with nesting the various subfora (Index, Archive & so forth). In such a case I imagine it'd still be a pretty involved job, but more of a matter of shifting lots of threads around as opposed to a new custom module...or so I assume, not having much backend experience with XF myself.

6. da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Oh, so it would actually have the proper (tag-like/filtered) type of architecture to help with this? That certainly would be useful.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Kitty S. Lillian

Kitty S. Lillian Transhuman

This sounds like a good option.
    I thought aggregation settings predated the XF2 upgrade?
    *checks SV thread dates of "how to (dis)aggregate" and XF2 upgrade downtime notice*
    They appear to have. So, in theory, there's aggregation code for XF1.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

Yeah, but there's also the Inevitable XF2 Update to consider. Why bother setting up aggregation while we're on XF1, if we're just going to switch techniques and have to set it up all over again in six months when we switch to XF2? This is mostly a concern in terms of limited resources like money and admin-time.

Although, my understanding was that SB and SV made Worm-in-CrW aggregation work by putting Worm "inside" CrW. If that's correct, then us doing that would mean NSFW CrW being "inside" regular CrW. Are we okay with that? How would we deal with that?