1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DougA

DougA Getting out there.

Thanks.

2. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe to you. This can only help Grayven's ability to relate to his marefriend.

Luna: Where've you been?
    Grayven: Stuck in a library for 700 years.
    Luna: Cool. I was stuck alone on the moon for a thousand years.
    Grayven: Cool. Let's never do anything like that again.
    Luna: Agreed.

3. jmartinez8089

jmartinez8089 Getting out there.

To be fair it could be both as we don't know how big of a room they will need to fit all the records they will have to search through.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

I love the fact that the Librarian just nonchalantly planned to spend the rest of his life getting info for Graven, along with arranging instructions for his successor to continue his work when he dies. Good on the Sheeda for having such extensive records on a planet that kills everything it can.

That scenario makes me think of a sort of a reverse history- instead of going on about what member of your family did what "Great uncle George added the west wing to the manor, Great-Great aunt Emily comishioned that fountain..." it would consist of planing out which of your decendents would build what and then spending your life laying the foundation and having kids so you have decendents to finish it. Now I want to see a race like elves and dwarves- Known for great works and constructions that probably took ages, but not long lived, just planning for thier great great something son to be the one to lay the last brick or so. Or-heck, go the other way, have a race of mayfly like being that pull of impressive stuff via such planning, which frankly would be the only way such a species could have a civilization at all. Building even a basic shelter or group of shelters would be the work of generations.

Cuchulin and Katillno like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Late Summer, IC 687

Not the fastest a new Lantern has grasped a power ring's basic functions, but far from the slowest. His actual speed in the air leaves a little to be desired, but he's understandably of two minds about this whole endeavour.

At least he's not filled with fear any longer.

"And.. that is how a man's desires affect his nature?"

"No."

"Then-. I don't understand. Why have you explained this 'Hierarchy' to me if it isn't true?"

"In the Imperial Library, how do they order the books and scrolls? Is it by the name of the author? The date? Or is it by the subject?

"For the most part, by their subject. So I should organise my desires in the same way? To… Make them more comprehensible?"

"Just so. 'Architecture' has no objective reality. Take the universe, grind it down to the finest powder and run it through the finest sieve, and you will find not a single atom of architecture. Architecture is a label we apply to a group of concepts as a shorthand. Likewise, how we classify sets of desires is irrelevant. That we do is relevant. If you have a better system, use that instead."

"No, I.. don't."

"Studying your own desires is the first step to mastering the orange light. This is how I will begin your instruction."

He glances in the direction of Alnus Hill.

"Do I have time to reflect on them adequately?"

"Throw some at me, so that I know what I'm working with."

"What's the second step?"

"Identifying and resolving contradictions. But please, Prince Diabo El Caesar, focus on the task I set you. If you die, I will have to find another, and that will be inconvenient."

"My brother?"

"I will never be that desperate. His pet rabbit on the other hand is desperate enough to obey me and heed my words. Rebuilding the Empire from ash after she has taken her revenge will be time consuming, but time is a resource I have in abundance."

We dip in the air as he
    loses his focus.

"Interesting. That made you genuinely afraid. You understand that for that to happen you would be dead, and thus entirely beyond her-"

There's a flicker of light from a forest I can see in the distance. Alnus itself seems relatively quiet at the moment. Infiltrators? Commandos?

"-wrath."

"I just-. Imagined what would happen if you'd chosen her instead of me."

"I doubt that she would specifically target you. Your brother and your father, yes, but if you ran fast enough then you would probably survive. But that isn't-"

There's another flicker. Hm.

"-relevant. Stop for a moment."

Stopping, he manages easily.

"That flash of light in the forest over there. Identify it."

"A forest fire?"

"That isn't what I meant. Use this ring. Want to see it, want to know, and you will. Want it because it could be a threat, or because it could be an opportunity to advance yourself. Want it because you care about the people in this region or because you want them to care about you. But unleash your want, in whatever way you see fit."

He raises his left hand, and I.. feel it, as he wants the knowledge so that he can better understand his position. That work-.

And he feels fear and we're heading for the ground again.

"Do you want to break your legs? Because while this ring can heal your injuries, I assumed that we'd have longer before you needed that lesson."

He recovers almost instantly, his desire to keep his own hide intact having the expected effect. It was either this or strengthening his environmental shield enough to take the landing. Now, what did he see?

"It's a dragon."

"Okay."

"A giant, ancient dragon. It's burning its way through a forest village."

"Good show. Let's go and kill it."

"It's a dragon!"

"When I'd been a Lantern for a year and a half, I fought and killed an ancient, sentient, magic-using dragon who also had a ring like this one. Can I assume that the creature you are looking at is simply a large and strong reptile?"

"Very large and very strong."

"The orange light is stronger. As long as you want to be unharmed, you will be proof against fire and claw."

"And how exactly am I proof against fire and claw?"

"Imagine armour. Full plate. Imagine that the dragon is attacking you, striking you, breathing fire over you and doing its level best to kill you. Imagine that the armour is the only thing keeping you alive in the face of its assault. Hold in your mind your desire for it to stay there."

"And.. it will?"

"It will. That is the power of the orange light. Likewise, it can generate any weapon you want, and the weapon will be as strong as your desire for it to be strong."

"And you want me to fight that dragon?"

"Can you imagine arriving at the gathering of armies with a dead dragon's head in your hands? The looks on their faces? The reverence in their hearts?"

"I…"

"I know that you don't trust me. That is fine at this stage in our relationship. But please at least accept that this is far more effort than I would need to put in if I simply wanted you dead."

"I-."

"And that I have no desire to see the inside of a dragon's digestive system firsthand."

"You guarantee that I will be proof against its attacks?"

"The strength of your defences is proportionate to the strength of your desires. Try it now."

"I've been wearing armour under my clothes for years. Armour is something I know that I want."

And appear armour does, construct full plate such as a medieval knight might wear. Not something that existed in Rome where they were limited to light horse, but the Saderan Empire isn't exactly Rome. The construct isn't super strong by any means. I wouldn't want him to try fighting an apostle like this. But it'll do for a dragon.

But what about offence? He's been hiding himself in the courts for years, not drawing attention to himself for fear that he'd be executed like his eldest brother. Weapons don't come naturally to him. So, perhaps something a little different?

"Have you ever ridden a dragon?"

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This sentence feels really weird.

Maybe 'And armour does appear'

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  7. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

"And appear it does" as a follow-up to something like that is pretty common phrasing and completely cromulent grammar.

8. Mr Zoat

No, that's fine.

9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

If you want that dragon enough, it will be yours. Forever.

10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Good point. IIRC the highborn (or was it the zombiherd?) said it would take a while but I've got no how long that actually is.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I bet he's still flying like he's swimming, isn't he? And hey, not everyone can be as clever as you were, especially on their first day. :)

Ah, explaining the hierarchy of needs, eh? I wonder, is that still expected reading in this time for new Orange Lanterns, or if they've devised better options.

It's a useful cheat. And it's how OL did it, so surely it'll work for others.

Easier to peruse, certainly. I bet their library is still pretty unorganised within that 'subject' grouping, too. I can't stand sloppy libraries...

Paraphrasing the great Sir Terry, eh? If you've got to steal, steal from the best.

He does have a point, OL. Have you been teaching so long that you've forgotten what it's like to actually be in the field, with needs pressing from all sides?

As if you haven't already been sifting through his Desires. I would have done that the second he put the ring on...

If you're lucky, it'll be a member of the JSDF teams he was fighting. And much easier to work with. But letting Diabo die would suck...

I expect it'd be harder to keep her on task, though.

Heh, his first lesson in what happens if you screw up. Thankfully, he's learning well.

A JSDF scout team signalling someone? Unlikely, they're still a long way from the portal.

Ah, that sort of blind revenge. The kind that a Red Ring would enjoy tapping into. Definitely worth ensuring one never gets close to her, then.

Because it's one step from running away. And, like Rincewind, that seems to be something he has a talent for?

...Well, it could be. Especially if there's smoke too. But that's not the lesson here.

Okay, I know this guy isn't the best candidate around here, but seriously, is it this hard to use Orange Light? You'd think it would be the most user-friendly Light, especially if the possibility of overload were handled properly.

Let's not mention the fact that doing it without preparation (like blocking pain receptors) can hurt. A lot. Something OL learnt his first day too.

Well, that's hardly a problem. Perhaps you can give him a lesson in Identity Theft!

Potential casualties is a definite problem. Perhaps you should do something about that, rookie.

And? Kid, OL...

...What he said. On the upside, this one won't have a power ring. Unless something is very wrong.

Just have to avoid imagining what'll happen if you don't want to not die hard enough.

With enough want, you will be truly invincible. Of course, Want that strong is the territory of Larfleeze and other madmen.

I bet he can't wait to show Diabo all the cool toys he can make. Things that can pop that dragon like a soap bubble...

There'll be lots of yellow, at least. Either in their hearts, or down their legs.

Honestly, if he wanted you dead, well... You wouldn't be wearing the ring anyway. You're more useful alive.

Not an image I wanted to have floating around. Especially since I know that's someone's fetish. A lot of someones, honestly.

And wanting to not die? That's a strong desire. Especially from the heart of a coward. Or at least someone who's been forced to be one all their life.

Anachronism soup fantasy settings. Got to love them.

A lasso? Binding nets? Or are we going straight to Branding? That's an advanced skill. This promises fun times ahead.

As expected, a cutaway. Surprising we aren't getting to see the Paragon, but I doubt we'd want to see snippets of his side of the invasion. At any rate, it's good to see the rookie settling in. With OL's expert tutelage, he'll be overthrowing his father resolving the invasion in no time!

Hold in your mind your desire for it to stay there.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And it's back to the adventures of Boring Man and his newly recruited sidekick Lazy Boy.

Cuchulin and Z3r0Sama like this.
  13. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Well, no, it will be the possession of whoever owns that ring. And it is possible to permanently kill orange construct people.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may have made a new system for teaching, but they probably still have a lot of the Hierarchy in it.

He has been a ring for the last few years.

After everything that happened to her can you blame her.

The kid just started out, it's a miracle he can even use it as well as he is now.

That may be a bit more advanced than what he can do now.

An he's never fought a dragon before and is rightfully scared shitless.

Well that will be so easy(said in sarcastic voice)

OL has been inside a giant creatures insides before.

Specifically Mother of Mercies.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Also it's not really "that dragon" so much as an Orange Light copy of it.

16. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I almost want to see this story. She's bound to be more interesting than this guy. I'm not sure Orange would be the best fit for her thou. All that Red would keep glitching her constructs :/

ChestBurster, JeckJack and Senevri like this.
  17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Ok, considering the sentient weapon talking about slaying dragons I started having flashbacks...

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know, now I'm picturing some of the other versions of Paul doing something similar to what paragon is doing here, that being traveling to other universes and giving those they deem worthy rings.

Like say Raul coming to this universe and giving that bunny girl a red ring.

Or maybe Goldie, who was similarly tortured by an evil bastard, gives her a gold ring, because she may have developed some serious willpower.

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

No, I said *slay* the dragon, not... you know, whatever, this works.

Frikkin bards.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    More exciting, at least in the first few days. But she didn't lose a war with the Saderan Empire because she's good at building things.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Must...resist urge...to discuss...philosoThere are so many aspects of reality that only exist because we decide they exist!

Intersubjective reality, like money, country borders or human rights.

I always wonder about people saying stuff like "the universe doesn't care" or "life is objectively meaningless" because caring, meaning, beauty etc. are all clearly subjective and intersubjective things.

You need a person to care about something for it to become meaningful.

The Emotional Lights should be, by their very nature, only be able to exist within or between living things, yet exist as an objective outside force in the DC Multiverse.

Meanwhile magic is said to explicitly need living things in close proximity.

So is magic intersubjective, while emotion itself is considered a physical aspect of reality that people just "tap in to"?

So many questions!

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about her destroying some of the worst aspects of the Empire at least, like its Emperor and one of his children among some of those worst aspects, not about building things.

Also while I'm not all that familiar with Gate I would like to point out that just because someone lost a war that doesn't mean they aren't competent or that they're incapable of building things, it could mean the other side was more competent, better equipped, or just lucky.

23. Agent Orange

That's what Genie Jafar One (Orange) Ring is for. To manipulate advise her into making something interesting out of the ashes. He rehabilitated people like her before surely?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    ChestBurster, zeebza and Darko like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep he did.

Komand'r comes to mind. Thanks to him her chances of becoming an evil, warmongering warlord like her comic self are reduced.

She might still become a warmongering warlord, but not an evil one.

He could do the same for the bunny girl, and if she or Komand'r ever decided to abuse their rings and use them for unnecessary destruction and depravity then he can either just kill them and then find another user for the ring, or just give them the Melmoth treatment, a mind alteration.

Ohh and he helped Dr Blight, a person that tried to destroy the environment multiple times.

And unlike with Blight all he would have to do for bunny girl, who hasn't tried to destroy the environment, is help her to hurt a power hungry Emperor and his crazy son, and not a bunch of kids that have stopped the plans of a crazy scientist who wanted to destroy the environment.

Still surprised he didn't just alter her emotions, given everything she's done and her general personality.

25. Mr Zoat

She wouldn't destroy the worst parts of the Empire. She'd destroy the entire empire and drag the few survivors off in orange chains as slaves.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I mean... She could certainly try...

But I am pretty sure the other gods would stop in to end both her and Paul before things got to that point...

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, but as Agent Orange said, Paul has worked with people like her before, people that want to see those around them suffer to the last man, like Komand'r, but he's managed to talk them around to his way of doing things, and this is a Paul that has had at least centuries of experience with doing that so it really shouldn't be all that difficult for him.

And if he can't talk her out of her grudge against everyone then he can just alter her a bit so that she doesn't want everyone to suffer, but just those that really deserve it.

28. Agent Orange

I'm sure OL could Jackass Genie her until she starts doing whatever he thinks is right (while believing it was her idea all along). If there's one thing he's good at it's twisting goals of others to fit his own.

29. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Assimilate the Dragon, then turn it into a waifu.

30. Agent Orange

Hey, Mr Zoat, I have a ... in-story consistency question:

In the first part of the story (pre-Vega) OL tries to convince everyone/lets everyone assume that he is merely one Orange Lantern among many (hence the annoying insistence on his sector number every time he introduced himself to anyone). And to a point I get it - taking the dangerous piece of clarketech from a lone individual is far less risky than doing the same to a member of an organization that rivals the GLC on paper. The problem is that at some point after... either the Cake Incident or the Nabu execution he goes full 180 on it and starts talking about how he needs to go to space to found his Corps... And no one calls him out on this. Why?