1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

both should be ' look '

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, that's fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And Here... We... Go!

...'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...

Impressive that she can get that feedback. I suppose that's necessary when shooting at something beyond the range of the good old eyeball.

Oh, my god, it's Starbreaker! Gold star to Stsword!

You will. If only because he'll tell you...

You're a cheeky one, General Grayven...

I would guess he's had better days. Years... Millennia...

Oh, boy... This is why you don't poke the grumpy energy vampire...

Good man, Grayven, you've got him monologuing. What was your plan, Starbreaker? Do tell us...

'Nice job breaking it, hero', indeed... I bet Brainiac Five had something do do with this...

Why? What would that prove? He'd just starve to death faster. And he does not strike me as one comfortable with the idea of his own mortality.

And that's why the rings are dead. He leeched them dry as part of his passive effect. I bet every moment the people have of a strong emotion is like a feast to him...

Now, if he were to stop eating things like inorganic technology, maybe that can be changed...

Heh. There's only one way down from where he is. And it's not the path he wants to take...

Yeah, tone down the creepiness a little, man.

By people he honestly had some measure of trust in, too.

No sudden moves, G-man. Don't want him killing you by accident...

Oh, he's a smart one. Not smart enough to avoid this whole situation, but hey, no-one's perfect...

Don't underestimate DC Universe mad weird science. Seriously, shit's crazy.

Better than a slow lingering starvation as the Sheeda die off. Compared to one quick sting...

...Yeah... Don't count on rationality from him...

Still, I suppose you could consider it an honour to be part of the mass that starts the next universe... Hell, he could probably survive a big bang...

Heh. Basically offering him quite the dilemma. Play along in the hope of getting free, but work with people you clearly can't stand, or keep on rolling as you have been.

:D Admit it, the whole episode was so you could use that line, wasn't it?

Well. Well, well, well... I honestly wasn't expecting Grayven to offer him a chance to escape his situation. I suppose he's still useful, but they all know as soon as his usefulness expires, so will he. But the thought of that chance. That's got to niggle at him. Guess we'll see tomorrow what his answer is...

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Down boy.

Or eons, specifically billions of years.

More likely Brainiac 417, who was a member of the Justice Legion.

Not sure that's possible.

The Light, which he, stupidly in my opinion, thought were a group that could actually help people instead of just being a bunch of self absorbed sociopaths.

And even if Lex is getting better I'm betting renegade may find it somewhat taxing to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't do something stupid.

And probably become the next Galactus.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

It's not that he is useful, it's that fighting him would be a bad idea.

Also, the United Planets idea of fighting him was to make his hunger worse? Brilliant idea.

6. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

To be completely fair I don't know that much about the DC universe, I know it better than I know the Marvel universe, but I'm pretty sure Galactus is from Marvel.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah I know, I was just saying that he would become very similar to Galactus.

To be fair he was about to kill them and the only thing they may have had to give him trouble is the thing that made him hungrier and would pain him.

For all we know the hunger thing could have been an accident.

8. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

And then he starts ranting anyway :D

Do you know (or care) how ridiculous that sounds? You drained 'space'? What's next? If you drain 'roundness' all of the pizzas around you start turning squarish?

Why on Earth would you assume that? He's an uber vampire. He drains. That's his one and only trick. Do you know how your body extracts nutrients out of your meals? Why would he? Would knowing how help you put those nutrients back into those meals somehow?

"Ok, so how did you shrink the universe?"
    "Well, you see, it's like this... I sucked most of the blood space out of its neck!"
    "Ok, but how did you do it?"
    "I sucked really hard."
    "..."
    "Well I'd demonstrate but you already stabbed and depowered me."

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

My guess was that it was meant to weaken him- the more energy he has the more powerful he is, so take away the energy take away the power.

Unfortunately it looks like they didn't realize that his energy vampirism could keep up with his new metabolism, making it a case of "Gone horribly right."

He can also give energy. He turned Shadow Thief into Uber Shadow Thief.

Although why Gravy would just assume that he can do that when his DC trivia skill check failed him, well I agree, that's a bit odd.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Lot of Grayven assumptions this chapter.

ArKFallen likes this.
  11. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

More ridiculous than all the other DC nonsense?

Hardly. I mean at least he isn't eating dreams or happiness or something that doesn't even exist. Or using some other emotion, say, avarice as a power source, that would be completely ridiculous.

Now, a mechanism to consume space and get energy out of it is beyond human understanding, but I could see it being possible even in the real world, somehow.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade probably didn't have all that much of a choice.

He and his Mother Box didn't have the knowledge necessary to fix the universe, so he thought that asking the guy that damaged the universe would be a good avenue to get that knowledge.

It's a pretty big assumption yes, but again it may have been the only avenue they had to both fix the universe and deal with the guy that damaged it that doesn't involve fighting him, which would most likely end in said guy destroying them and then going back to eating the universe.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  13. Agent Orange

Whenever my roommate's hoarding tendency gets the better of her the space in our flat gets 'consumed' and as a reaction my anger temporarily spikes.

So it would probably take at least a two step conversion process to get useful energy out of it: 'space consumption' > 'Red generation' >??? = free electricity?

Maybe once Grayven is done fixing his parallel's Bad Future he could pay us a visit?

edit:
    At very least this chapter gave us a (very unsatisfactory) reason excuse for 'why do Sheeda do their very best to one up Drow' and 'why they never relocated to Past'. Melmoth is a dick (and the Queen is either ignorant of the deal or dumb).

What I don't get is why the fuck would he honour the deal with Vamp-Ra? He's many, many things that end with -opatic and -ist but honourable he isn't. Why not give Vamp-Ra a down payment (a few generations of Sheeda suffering), prepare, tell him you're going on an extra big Harvest and relocate almost everyone to the Past (maybe after geasing the ones you left behind into a mass-suicide)? Vamp-Ra just confirmed that he's stuck in this era/universe, what's he gonna do with no-one to feed on and the only way out gone? Melmoth could've had his cake and eaten it. Get his New God invaders problem resolved and get to be hailed as a saviour by his own people. His other big problem will just die of starvation soon after they leave and his only food source kills itself.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Even Galactus has his limits, small though they may be, that he either can't or won't break. This guy doesn't seem to have them at all, and when dealing with a true omnivore with little-to-no morals that isn't a good thing.

Mr. Headgear is also pop control for The Celestials, Discount Nekron here is/was just an ass.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I also think Galactus was there to keep something much worse from coming out by acting almost like a barrier and he needed planets for the power to keep doing that.

The Queen may have gone along with deal, assuming she knew about it, because like Melmoth said, the only difference in their ruling philosophy is that she believes she should be in charge, but aside from that they're basically the same.

As for why he was honoring the deal, well given that he's a magic user it is possible that Starbreaker made him swear a magic oath to keep the deal, so he can't break it unless he wants to suffer the consequences, which are probably horrible.

The Queen may have been in a similar position.

Rulers have sworn to a divine figure that they will rule in their name and have claimed to have gotten their power from them, in this case this was quite literal.

Aside from the oath thing, Melmoth may have kept his promise just because he's an utter bastard and wanted to be as evil as he can be, and screwing over his subjects by making them engage in atrocities that will only prolong their death is a pretty evil thing to do.

Aurakles and his companions were also probably there to just explore and maybe help them out, not to invade.

16. Agent Orange

This is by far the most likely (and the most disappointing) answer. The only problem is it doesn't quite gel with his stated "plan" for the Columbians (or at least the Warlocks). He claimed he wanted to ensure backups in the past and that he wanted to offer them way to Earth post-latest Harvest so they would accept him as their god-king or whatever. The thing is, if he really wanted that, he could've done it with the real Sheeda that already accepted him as their ruler not do this pointlessly complex and roundabout plot with the Columbians.

I hate Chaotic Evil Antagonists because nothing they do has any real sense or purpose in-universe. They only do whatever the author wants them to do to further the plot with no real explanation how they survived so long or why would they want it in the first place.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

For the warlocks it's possible that the oath he gave to Starbreaker, assuming he did so, had some loopholes in it and he could get away with his plans.

He may have wanted to do that with the warlocks because his wife deposed him from the throne and he lost his subjects, so he decided to try something else.

And it kinda does make sense that it would fit into his evil nature.

Most of the warlocks may have been guilty of nothing more than using their Sheeda side of magic, or were born to one who did, and for that they are outcasts.

Melmoth may have tried to corrupt them to his idea of what a society should be like, one of complete psychopaths.

He would have turned a fairly tragic group into one of pure monsters. That's a pretty evil thing to do.

The backups in the warlocks were just to ensure that he could do this.

Otto von Saurion and Ngamer11 like this.
  18. Agent Orange

I've looked at the Vamp-Ra's profile pic again and it looks like he and Klarion have the same hairstylist.
    I wonder if that's their only connection or if Zoat will turn this into some (even) weird(er) time loop with depowered Vamp-Ra unwittingly becoming Klarion's ancestor and idol.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the Sheeda were apparently created through this guys DNA, and Klarion is descendant from a Sheeda, so maybe the hair is some genetic quirk.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  20. Agent Orange

I was not even remotely serious Darko. But, if you insist, lets see how far we can spin this.
    Vamp-Ra's apparently (as a result of several retcons) an adult form of a Sun-Eater. And Sun-Eaters are apparently Maltusian star-breaking bio-weapons (Thank you Maltus, every time I think you cannot get worse you manage to prove me wrong). Since this is comicbookverse anything can procreate with anything else, biology be damned, so it is quite possible that Vamp-Ra managed to knock up the ancestors of both Plastic Man and Klarion I suppose.

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

While I'm sure it won't come up because of Zoat's antipathy for post flashpoint comics, but DC showed that Starbreaker had a daughter.

Countess Belzebeth, the Planet Eater Lass.

She worked for a renegade Controller and dated Hal Jordan for a while. He's probably done worse.

Presuming it isn't just an affectation of hers, they apparently call themselves Luciphages: the light eaters.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Neither was I.

Highly plausible, yes.

Yeah I remember that comic, the religious descriptions during the parts featuring Mu were very weird. Still the visuals were impressive.

23. Agent Orange

Oh my god, I was joking! What is she a 'countess' of? And who the hell was the mama? Why do so many alien living weapons want to get in Earthlings' pants?

edit: judging by her moniker her mother might've been a member of whatever species gave birth to Matter-Eater Lad? Were Sun-Eaters based on them perhaps?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Apparently there is an entire species similar to her.

She was also married to some old vampire guy that just said that he was hungry all the time, and I think she killed him.

25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ten years ago I had a three-year-old child and was working from home in an apartment in Arkansas.

But to answer the question? Every. Single. One of them.

I don't make friends easily. There are people I get along with, but I wouldn't consider them "friends." The people who make enough of an impact on my life to earn the title? I remember all of them, all the way back to when I was seven years old. I only need the appropriate context, and Artemis certainly has that.

Space has energy. Energy is what keeps space from collapsing in on itself under the force of gravity. Remove that energy, and the space goes away. Right now, there's more energy in the universe than mass, so we're getting MORE space.

Pick up a ball.

Drop it.

Congratulations, you have extracted energy from consuming space.

26. Agent Orange

Ok, I'll ask you this question again in 300 and then in 700 years. See if something changed.

Prince Charon and Vaermina like this.
  27. Assblaster5000

If any of us have lived that long then we're Transhumans, maybe even Posthumans, and likely would, if we so chose, remember ever moment of our lives that have occurred since in enough detail to tell you about "That guy I met at a bar on Mars a few centuries back."

TopHatWearer, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Have you ever read DC Comics?,Or watched Superfriends?

To sum up, super vampire ate so much he shrank the universe. Don't like that? You are reading the wrong story.

29. Alexcorvin

Alexcorvin Goodbye

How does one explain Life Bringer Mode, then? Because, IIRC, that was what Galactus was supposed to be, the first victims of his Eternal Hunger were just the unfortunates who woke him up too early, or some such? The Infinity Watch or whoever basically forced him back into his crib (the incubation pod he emerged from) and put ISO 7 or whatever it was from the Battle Realm into the incubation pod with him... basically turned him into Lifebringer Galactus.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Assblaster5000

Galactus has a really long and, As Is Tradition, kinda' stupid backstory, but the relevant main points I remember are:

1) Galactus was actually two people in the previous multiverse ( which was two multiverses ago now because Marvel wanted to do a reset but also not), some scientist guy and the last Eternity(?) that decided to fuse so they could live into the next iteration of the multiverse.

2) Galactus being a planet eater wasn't really part of the plan, like you said.

3) Everyone that could have changed it either didn't want to or weren't allowed to because Galactus eating planets kept The Celestials from becoming the single most populous species in the multiverse, and The Celestials becoming that is bad because they're Marvel Mad Scientiststm with Maltrusian tech levels that destroy planets in order to reproduce.

Pinklestia, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.