1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

...Why is it an isekai?

2. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

No idea. Somehow someway MH verse and Earth is connected and a military squad found themselves in MH... Seriously, just look at this trailer.

It just reeks of modern military crashing a perfectly normal fantasy party.

Bacon_commando, Derek58, Velk and 2 others like this.
  3. OverReactionGuy

Well then they are fucked.

Regular humans can't keep up with monster hunter humans at all, let alone monsters.

-edit-

So basically they fucked with the game lore from the get co.

-edit-

Probably wanting to cash in the isekai anime craze and monster hunter at the same time.

-edit-

Hell the electric pony elder dragon would outright slaughter them all if they pissed it off.

4. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

I gave the slightest benefit of the doubt and they still picked like, the dumbest thing possible. It's almost impressive.
    Fool, you underestimate the power of Paul W. S. Anderson's erection! Plot? Rules? Physics? None of these matter because his wife is the greatest wife ever built and he wants everyone to know it! :V

5. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Supposedly because it allows them to do a story where the MC is as much a newcomer to the world as the audience.

6. OverReactionGuy

That's dumb. You don't need a newcomer to a different world have a relatable character in that world.

You could just use a novice hunter that just became one and learning the ropes until they suddenly kill a few elder dragons because they want cool armor.

7. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

"You hunted down and killed, alone, a Teostra... why?"

"Cute crown."

8. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Please, like that is going to stop the whinier parts of the fandom.

awesomecow likes this.
  9. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

I'm not really one to get up in arms about shit- especially not video game movies- but here's my thoughts.

Monster Hunter is about a loop of going out, whacking a monster with a big ol' stick until it's dead, looting its corpse, using the bits to make a better stick to whack better, rinse and repeat. It's the knight-fights-dragon ad nauseam. Throw in some team work and that's Monster Hunter.

That's not what we're going to get.

We're going to get Mila Jovo running around with assault rifles and rocket launchers slaughtering Rathalos by the dozen because either Anderson can't keep it in his pants or Jovo can't stop bullying him into absurdities, and it's going to be a disappointing mess of 'Resident Evil Movies, but like, with dragons this time'. Any chance of getting an actual Monster Hunter movie- that *feels* like Monster Hunter- will be reduced to zero.

And the sad part? There's not much story to Monster Hunter. People like me who came in with World?

You're just thrown into it. That's it. There's not super-deep lore to Monster Hunter. There's monsters, they're a thing, their bits are used in place of tech, Hunters go out and get the bits. That's Monster Hunter. You're dropped in to a civilization that developed parallel to monsters running around and you just *see* how they changed. There's not some huge expository bit, which is what the movie's going to contain.

In the end, the suits will conclude there's no interest in a Monster Hunter movie because they don't seem to realize that Jovo and Anderson need to be kept the fuck away from adaptations of any kind because one or both can't stop wanking.

10. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

So I randomly stumbled across this:

Romancelvania

TL;DR: The Grim Reaper conned Drac into being the star of his new Reality TV show, featuring sex and violence. Metroidvania and dating sim gameplay, though you can concentrate on one or the other at your pleasure- you can almost entirely ignore the dating sim stuff, or so they say, if that's not your thing. Male and female romanceable monsters. Stretch goal for female Drac way down there.

I have to admit I was kinda sold once I saw they got the Flying Spaghetti Monster for a boss.

Velk and Rakdos92 like this.
  11. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Okay that is a legitimately hilarious idea. I might have to check it out when (if) it gets released.

12. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Wouldn't this game run afoul of some copyright laws tho?

13. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

So I just started playing Hades and I really like the fact that the unlike in most rogue-likes you can stop the game in the middle of a run and not lose progress.

It's also a lot more friendly to people like me who aren't very good at this type of game which I appreciate as well.

14. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

...I really need to start playing then.

15. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Several Roguelikes have that. Dungeons of Dredmore, Issac, and Deadcells off the top of my head that I have played.

Hades is definitely at the top for polish and just being a good game though. Deadcells is 2nd in that list, Dredmore 3rd if you like grid based pseudo turn based gameplay(everything moves at the same time, but only one action when you make your action so you have time to think and plan).

Issac is a classic and isn't bad per-say, but is very unforgiving and the developer sometimes seems to have a personal vendetta against having fun in his game, such as specifically and intentionally closing several entertaining game-breaks even if they were only possible at the very end and had little change on the end result because if you could activate them at all you're probably steamrolling the game anyway. The RNG is also sometime suspiciously bad. None of the rougelikes can troll as hard as Issac can sometimes.

Rakdos92 and wayne82444 like this.
  16. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Dredmor is good just for the flavor text. It's comedy gold. The insane variety of builds is nice too.

17. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Yeah as much as I like Issac, it can be brutally unfair to the point of not being fun.

18. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

I second that recommendation for Dead Cells, the game is great, has a sense of humor in both trailers and the game itself and the music is excellent. Though higher cell difficulties aren't really something a schmuck like me is remotely capable of handling.

19. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

If you don't mind going really slow, you can cheese most of the game by using the slime head. Just launch it out, move to the enemy, going up or down levels easily and even ignoring environmental hazards, attach to the enemy and let it damage them. At higher levels it might take one or two attachments but it will eventually kill them and it doesn't aggro them so you can even take out teleporters safely.

Just be aware that getting a Curse blocks your ability to do that.

20. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Playing Hades some more and Artemis' Tsundere attitude towards the MC is hilarious in how blatant it is she has a crush on him.

Biofan09, Malcolmo and Evillevi like this.
  21. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

God mode is amazing, the mirror makes you as strong as you want, Pacts of Punishment customised the kind of difficulty you want, And the super currency are farmable via conversion at the broker or by buying it from the Charon super shop.

Which is to say that Hades is very accessible for the game that it is.

22. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

How good/bad is Octopath Traveler? It's half off on Steam until the 28th.

23. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Really damn good if classic JRPG are your thing.

Velk likes this.
  24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Don't forget awesome music as well.

25. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

Speaking of RPGs made in Japan, what's everyone's opinion on old Famicom-era tactical RPGs getting official translations with limited release windows? Because Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is having that happen to it, and getting released on the Switch.

Yeah, that's right, it's taken 30 years, but we're finally getting the first Fire Emblem game officially translated. Shame Nintendo's pulling the same BS as with 3D All Stars.

26. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

It was already remade on the DS and in English as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, in 2009.

27. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

I... actually had forgotten about that.

I'm also not sure it counts in this case, as what's coming is a translation of the original Famicom version. At the very least, it should be interesting to understand the game while complaining about how the remake did things better...

(I've also heard some grumbling that if Nintendo wants to pull this kind of thing, they could at least do it with a game everyone's wanted for a while, like Mother 3.)

28. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

There were a lot of changes, apparently, and the official series count lists it separately from the original. The same goes for the remakes of games 2 and 3.

FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War), 5 (Thracia 776), and 6 (Binding Blade) have never been officially translated. (3's remake wasn't officially translated either, but the fan translation is complete.)

29. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

Sseth has come out with a video on Caves of Qud, Very good. Apparently its like CDDA but much less complex and needs less keys to work.

30. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

Qud is not atypical in terms of complexity for a modern roguelike. For that matter, CDDA doesn't either if you discard the vehicle system.

I'm not much of a fan of Qud, but that's a taste thing, not a quality one.

If you are interested in the genre, give Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup a go. It's a bit less complex, but it's very polished for a free game, the available classes are all distinct, and it's constantly adding new stuff much faster than Qud or CDDA.

Anonnermus likes this.