1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The internet says it's fine.
    He has, and he'll probably get better. But not for a little while.

2. Mr Zoat

Artemis was 17. They stop ageing at 30. 30-17=13.
    They don't know where on the planet he is, or if he's reappeared yet, or even if he will reappear.

3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

That's not what I asked. How did he get 'we were stuck here for 13 years' from Artemis' appearance? If New Gods 'stop ageing at 30' that only means that after 13 years have passed her appearent age cannot be used to guesstimate the time they spent there. Because she'll look essentially the same for any number of centuries after she grows to her 'mature form'.

So how did her appearance tell him that 'centuries' they supposedly spent in the Future were in fact "mere" 13 years?

He has a (mysteriously) charged up power ring on his finger. Can't he scan the planet for him? Just exclude every non-Sheeda humanoid from the scan results?

4. Mr Zoat

Grayven does not think that they have been in the future for thirteen years.

You have my assurance as author that he is correct and it has been substantially longer than that.

Grayven thinks that Artemis was more plastic than him as a result of not having his the 'no change post thirty' limit before they arrived.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Basically, although they will still get more experiences, New Gods are technically in their developmental phase until they hit 30 years old. Is that it Mr Zoat?

6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Holy crap, an unambiguous answer on how long it’s been!

....please don’t switch to paragon, I really want to see Artemis’ fallout from this

7. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

How does one get a less than Zero value in reality?

Darko likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Dig a hole?
    That's Grayven's the Renegade's mused theory, yes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Renegade should know a bit more about Witch World than is implied in this update since he has access to construct-Klarion, though maybe he does and just isn't thinking about it at the moment. I wonder if he'll identify that realm as a potentially useful one to make contact with, possibly to relieve his desires for old-school Conquering; a planet of literally puritanical magic-users seems like a long-term project he'd be interested in pursuing.

Sorry if I forgot you shifted your nomenclature, but if not, I believe this should be Renegade.

10. Mr Zoat

Grayven doesn't actually like assimilation.
    You're quite correct.

11. DrThoth

He still has Savage and possibly the others transcribing their life stories in a closet somewhere or something, so I assumed he did the same with Klarion. Unless he just hasn't gotten around to reading all their notes yet.

zeebza likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did assimilate Klarion during the Excavation episode if I remember correctly.

He also assimilated Savage and Ras to deal with their immortality.

He has been reading what they write, as he's made mentions of things like a place Savage once passed by, and how he lied about being a certain historical figure.

The only one I think he assimilated after Darkseid gave him a piece of the AL Equation was Klarion, and that was because he wanted the knowledge he had and may have been worried that he can somehow become powerful again.

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  13. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

So this is what Zoat said when he said

Was it all planned out ? Because that thingie is from 2014

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade did have sex with both Koriand'r and Komand'r after he rescued them, so I think he meant this and not this thing with Artemis.

Don't know if he was planning this Sheeda thing back then, but he and Artemis didn't have sex and the others were probably looking at her since he did date Jade, who is Artemis' sister.

15. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

It occurs to me that some of the telepathic genomorphs might be able to help Artemis and the Renegade. Not erasing memories or anything, but drawing memories of their 21st century life back to the front of their minds and helping move Sheeda-land back to the status of long term memories.

Xmaster3000, Rebu, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade already suggested she use the Genomorphs to download knowledge, because she may not be able to go back to school now due to everything she experienced, so they may do this.

Ngamer11 and DrThoth like this.
  17. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

She's almost a millennia old and she's still in high school? She enrolled back when she was still a teenager!

iamnuff and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Was "thousands" confirmed anywhere? Cuz the impression I got was "hundreds" but it could easily be anywhere between a hundred and millions.

19. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Yea but people will now believe something happened between Artemis and him.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If she tells them that she kissed him then yes, but otherwise they may not.

21. DrThoth

Those specific Savage things you quoted were from when he actually absorbed Savage and R'as into the ring, I believe, back when he far more blasé about assimilation (right before his meeting with Darkseid which changed his worldview somewhat). But yes, since then he's had them all transcribing things, so I'm a bit surprised he hasn't noted any link between Klarion and the Sheeda.

Actually that reminds me, has Renegade done anything about Construct-Nabu's situation? He expressed some regret even back before his Anti-Life exposure, and he's made amends with his other non-Light constructs. There are of course practical concerns with Nabu that Sportsmaster and Bane don't have, but I think it merits a discussion with Giovanni and others (not to mention that at least Zatara really should have some moral qualms about what he's doing). I wouldn't mind seeing more of the forces of Order actually doing something; maybe Shazam can finally show up.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may already know about that.

If he doesn't it may be because he just had Klarion write down his magical knowledge and didn't care about his life.

Savage and Ras have knowledge of various historical events and how they may have really happened, because they lived when it happened, so that's why he's having them write down their life stories.

Good point.

The forces of Order may not be doing much because Nabu is technically still doing his job of maintaining order and fighting chaos, even if he is enslaved.

This is just speculation however.

23. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Pretty sure New Gods stop ageing at whatever they think their prime is, and Grayven keeps saying 30 because he's used to being a 30 year old man.

If Artemis still thinks of herself as a teenager, she might still look like one.
    If she'd stayed on earth and watched her (non-godly) friends age, she'd probably have aged with them.

Plus, I mean... youth is often an aspect of maiden goddesses like Artemis.
    Heh.

No, seriously though, she probably looks like whatever she expects to look like, and since she didn't watch her friends and family all grow older...

Though, how long to sheeda live? Do they visibly age?
    It'd be interesting if Grayven said something like "I don't know how many years it was, but I went through four high priests. Sure, one of them got shot and I had to execute another, but the last two lived long enough to grow old and die, so..."

I kinda want to know how Artemis spoke to her Sheeda minions. We know how Grayven do, but the way she wouldn't meet anyone's eyes before she left was a little...
    Did they worship her? Did she execute people for treason? Did she have friends amongst them? How did she end up as the head of their alliance?

What did she go through when Grayven wasn't around?

Her starting age when dumped into Sheeda-world + the first 13 years spent in sheeda-world = 30, the point at which she'd stop ageing.
    So she would have 13 years of being changed by this world, but Grayven would have zero, because he was already 30 to start with.
    Is how I read it, anyway.

Maybe there was another 500 or 5000 years after that, but that time wouldn't matter because they'd be thirty, and their experiences won't shape them nearly as much.

The point Grayven was making, I believe, was that Artemis should have spent nearly as long in sheeda-land as she did in her own time, (before new god ageing stopped and locked her into her present state forever) so her personal identity should be as much 'Conquering queen of the sheeda' as it is is 'Gothamite vigilante'

But.. for some reason she still wants to go home, and doesn't seem to have built a family or a network of friends here, even though she's been here for so long.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Silveraith and Darko like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She was most likely thinking about her family and friends back in her own time and there was also a war going on at the time so she may have found it difficult to form bonds with the Sheeda while she was busy fighting.

She was conflicted in this chapter, but she may have been hoping for the chance to go back to her time that she decided to leave the future.

25. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Yeah, but 17 years of her old friends and family vs 100+ years of new friends or family.
    She's lived in this world for longer than she lived on modern-day-earth.

Even if Grayven is right and only the first 13 years on Sheeda-earth effected her development, that's still 17-vs-13.
    It's close, it's real close.

Maybe she just never grew attached to the sheeda because she chose to view them as 'not real people' or something?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

More likely she wanted to go home so much that she avoided trying to make intimate connections with them.

27. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Should be "them"

28. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Ah, I see.

So the Orange ring got a very slight charge from the Avarice that Melmoth showed. Which allowed him to call his lantern to brand him. You would not even need a full .01% (not 1%, I mean .01%)

Kind of like how Blue rings get a slight charge when someone is hopeful around them. It makes sense that all colors can do that, its just that Hope, Compassion, and Love are actually efficient at it.

That was a fun arc. I am worried about Artemins now. That is a lot to go through.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Cool10007

Cool10007 Hack

My god. I have spent the past several weeks trapped in this fic - from spacebattles to sufficient velocity to here and it's still being updated. Mr Zoat, you have written what is undoubtedly one of the best fics I have ever read. Your continued support of this fic is nothing short of astounding and you should be very proud of what you've written.

Now I'm going to unfry my brain from doing nothing but reading this for weeks on end.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Eh... It's debateable. When you have enough content that you have to start scripting how the parts all mutually interact... That could be argued to be a form of procedural generation in and of itself.

c3qo and Chojin Patriarch like this.