1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Nope.

Ax'Senaea Thrice-Possessed is from the Black Crusade RPG, page 359 of the Core Book to be exact.

2. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Aside from knowing of 'Commissar Ciaphas Cain' as a memetic 'Accidental Hero' I have no idea what book this is supposed to be?

Would someone give me some context? Is this at the beginning of his... Legend? Sounds like he fucked up in some way? What are 'pariah abilities'?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The character yes, the story no.

4. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

The thing Zoat linked to is literally copy pasted from her section in the core book.

The only bit of it that isn't is "How she ended up in the elaborate prisons of the Temple of Lies is not known, but she seemed truly grateful for her rescue." at the very end.

WhiteNoise, Ardy, BBJimmy and 3 others like this.
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Now I want to see a daemon of Tzeentch or something try to unpuzzle what Paul is, look into his head and see the truth...that their entire world was made up to sell little plastic figurines.

Their reaction should be...memorable.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Humans of the 41st Millennium just seem to be taller. Now, the miniatures, that's just scale creep. But in universe? I'm not letting go of the 'unilateral genetic enchancement back in the Dark Age of Technology' yet.

Well, he's technically a cultist. Just not a Chaos Cultist... Like most of Humanity...

Hey, there are plenty of minor Chaos deities out there. Who's to say they can't attract followers with clearly strong psychic talent, like you would appear to have. Also, the whole 'assimilating Daemonettes' thing.

Would be bad to get started on that bad a footing. Now, what can you think of to tell him that he'll believe?

Heh. I mean, it's not technically a lie. Lost Dark Age technology (the Archeotech he mentions) is some pretty damn advanced technology. Some devices hit the flat-out magitech tier.

That's a 5 or 6 on a 6-sided die. The good old Invulnerable Save, a fundamental part of Warhammer 40,000. If he were Tzeentch aligned, that's be 4 or better, because warpy shenanigans. Yay. Of course, that all depends on what save his constructs provide him...

Especially since P'aul is still technically an atheist, isn't he? I mean, sure, you can believe the Chaos Gods exist, but not that they're Capital-G gods, after all. Believing in them as gods just encourages them...

Ah, peace through superior firepower. The fun part of the Tau way. The other, less fun part being brainwashing and extermination.

oo-er! That's a spicy Outflank move. Might want to head that off, so you don't have blue-on-yellow tango foxtrot. (Yellow because they're a third party. Blame Samurai Warriors 1's Date Masamunecampaign.)

Like the Tau Empire don't indulge in a little spying now and again? Probably using human auxiliaries...

And he's not here, is he? I doubt the Imperials want to hang around while you call him. I suspect Jurgen's trigger-finger is getting a little itchy.

Ah, sensible Tau philosophy. I see Kais knows not to go looking for more trouble than you can handle.

Is it just me who's picturing him holding on hand to his ear, Shepard style? On that note. Is he wearing a helmet with the typical comms antenna fin?

Only if you want to. I mean, they're not squeaky clean, after all. P'aul's hardly going to try and indoctrinate you in the next five minutes.

There's the rub, eh? Can't do something out of the kindness of your heart in the Imperium, can you?

One iconic incident: After a daemonic invasion on the planet of Armageddon, the Inquisition were preparing to have anyone who fought the daemon and heretic Astartes armies shipped off-world for.. high-lethality deployments. Some of the Astartes chapters who fought alongside them had opinions about that. Quite a big argument, really.

One guess how they got here. Thank you, Inquisitorial privileges.

I suspect they might find that a little distasteful. Depending on how orthodox they are about Xenos.

<Ring, Ring> Will someone pick up that phone?

I fucken called it. :D

He was expecting the 'HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!' wasn't he? Bet it feels like a letdown, doesn't it?

Oooh... Anyone who knows the books better able to pin down an approximate place in Cain's timeline here?

Preach the pronunciation, brother! Honestly, someone pronouncing it 'Tear-a-nids'? Fools! Do wish they'd do more pronunciation guides, though...

And that alone shows off just how powerful the Ring is to Cain. I suspect he's inwardly brushing the flop-sweat off his brow at that close call.

I mean, they might not arrive for a couple of centuries, but they're coming. Tyranid spaceflight is not that fast. What they lack in speed, though, they make up for in patience. And hunger.

Yeah, the Big E's like an intergalactic lighthouse out there. And even if he hadn't ended up on the Throne, Magnus the Red would have...

And Ms Vale (Ciaphas Cain's biographer and an Inquisitorial agent) will pass it on to her bosses, who will debate it for a couple of decades before discarding it as 'trickery and lies from an indoctrinated traitor' until some young Radical double checks and confirms it. At which point enough bricks will be shat to build a cathedral.

Good to see him taking it seriously, even if he's only concerned for his own aft. After all, if they do turn up, guess who'll end up first in line to 'volunteer' for the fighting. :p Through no fault of his own, either.

Heh, an entertaining end to the scene. I take it we'll be back to the paragon tomorrow, seeing him delivering the pardons to Sivana, or getting the 'no' from some recalcitrant nation?

...your ship's navigator used to guide the ship...

7. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

wonderful. i loved the educating of the ignorant. hope there is more interaction between this paul and the imperium.

Ardy and Handlewithcare like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

like Malal, who was hit with the not canon gun.

Like renegade said, when there are godlike powers out there can you really be an atheist anymore.

Eh, the Imperium is a whole lot worse in those categories.

The various versions are highly practical so he most likely does have a helmet on.

Kindness?

In the Imperium?

You filthy HERETIC!

Cain always did seem to one of the more saner Imperials when it came to aliens.

Granted that blind black guy who was a part of the KKK would also qualify for a sane position in the Imperium, so Cain's sanity isn't exactly all that big.

If he feels regret or annoyance at that title then he may be thankful he didn't call him that.

9. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Saying "it's literally copy and pasted" and then adding in "well except for X parts which were made up whole cloth" kind of defeats the purpose of this particular argument.

11. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

And you are actively nitpicking to somehow try and "stay in the right" instead of admitting ye dun goofed claiming it was not a legitimate source to begin with.
    The part added does not, objectively, impact the story, nor the facts, anywhere near strong enough to dismiss it under the pretense of being a fanfiction, as you did.

Grow up ready. Admitting to fuck-ups is okay.

Gantradies, WhiteNoise, Ardy and 11 others like this.
  12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Because Zoat is a Xeno-lover.

What is this fresh.. Heresy?

DAT_NOOB, Ardy, BBJimmy and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Or 2nd Edition, when it was 4+ unmodified.
    The Chaos Gods are gods by the standards of the setting. There isn't a tier of 'divinity' above them.
    Sure they do, but they expect their spies to be tortured to death if they're caught.
    No.
    Also no.
    Thank you, corrected.

14. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Inquisitor Vale is supposed to be one of the saner Inquisitors too. I was half-expecting P'aul to attempt to track her down to compare notes on things like the Tyranid (sorry, I pronounce it "TEER-ah-nid" in my head) and Chaos movements even with him working on the far side of the fence, but I suppose this is as much as we should expect for the foreseeable future.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Faiir and 1 other person like this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well... Paul's protected by thicker plot armor then the entire Tau Imperium... So it's not outside the realm of possibility that he will run into Vale and come out of it with a win...

DAT_NOOB, drasteed and Razorfloss like this.
  16. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

I mean... at least 50% of that, if not more, is due to Paul having good trope awareness and being genre savvy.

KenNM, DAT_NOOB and Handlewithcare like this.
  17. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thank you for making me think about the blackhole gun that reloads with time travel. It's been too long since I did that.

KenNM, Otto von Saurion, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  18. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

IIRC, in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels, he deals with a Genestealer Cult on a world that's home to both Tau and Imperial forces. After they start cleaning up the cult I believe he makes a point of NOT telling the Tau leaders about how some of their forces are infected when they leave the planet or something.

Cain, of course, didn't know that tyranids are drawn to psychic energy or anything like that, he just thought "Hey, alien locusts eating Tau worlds instead of Imperial Worlds, the latter of which I could be stationed on at any time? Sounds good to me!".

Pariah abilities are the Blank gene. Most humans and entities in 40K have a psychic presence; basically, blanks are those who DON'T have a psychic presence, or rather, a presence that makes every other psychically aware being wary, disgusted, afraid, terrified, feel ill at ease, and so on. Most humans, even though they aren't psykers, still have a presence in the Warp, and thus the Blanks creep them the fuck out regardless. Blanks are very effective at warding off psykers and daemons, to the point where their powers just fail to work for the former and the latter just losing their powers and fading from the Materium.

In the books, Ciaphas Cain's aide, Jurgen, is a blank. Jurgen is an extremely loyal man who has saved Ciaphas Cain's life on numerous occasions by "lol nope"-ing daemons and the like, but due to him being a Blank everyone (including Cain) seems to interpret Jurgen as being this filthy, wholly disgusting shape of a man that everyone wants to get the fuck away from.

19. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Much obliged!

Since Paul mentioned spending 'eight months' cleaning up this mess I'm guessing the first chapter in this universe (the one where Paul met/boarded/rescued that Tau ship) was roughly around that time? How long has Paul been in WH40K? A year or so?

Also, isn't 'Ms Vale' supposed to be 'Ms Vail'? He's talking about the Inquisitor chick? Cain's biographer?

20. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait this is a thing!?!?? How the fuck did predark age humanity loss to the men of iron if they had bullshit like this!?!?

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's... Really not...

Just the past three chapters alone should have had the Necrons, Chaos, and Eldar making a beeline to murder him with almost literally everything they have.

It actually is a thing.

As to them loosing to the Men of Iron, they didn't, they beat them, and then the Eldar fucked themselves into the Eye of Terror and everything went to shit as Warp Travel broke down and the seal on humanity's psyker potential started to break.

KenNM, Otto von Saurion and DAT_NOOB like this.
  22. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Vaermina Why do you bother coming here to bitch about everything when you know you are regarded as the lowest piece of half digested filth this side of Chris-Chan that has made it his life goal to annoy and spread disinformation to anyone who will buy it? Even if you are the only sane person in existence it doesn’t really matter as the battle you are trying to fight is both incredibly hard to win and you already made it impossible for you to win years ago.

23. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair that gun could have been made by one of The Men Of Stone post Aldarei murder-fucking Slannesh into existence, but even if it was a pre-Eye Of Terror thing The Men Of Iron had Titans that could eat spacetime and toss a continent into orbit, on top of ships that could eat entire star systems. It took basically everyone that wasn't The Men Of Iron teaming up to beat them, and it seems to have been a pretty close call even then.

It was functionally The War In Heaven Two:Electric Boogaloo.

Otto von Saurion and Arghonn like this.
  24. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Well, "jumped up elementals," as the pre-Hellenism SI was fond of calling them...

[​IMG]

25. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Take it to Rants or shut up. The insults are not called for.

26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I wonder how the Inquisition will take the news that the Tau can monitor extra-galactic fleets?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In a perfectly measured, rational and non violent way I assume.

Alexandercctv, Ardy, Citizen and 5 others like this.
  28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

More like a human with pre dark age technology can do so... Will be fun if they find out with their ubber spies and assassins that the SI told the Tau he is a time traveler from 2M.

Mr Zoat since this Paul has perfect knowledge off DC, does he know he can make new orange rings out of the construct lanterns he creates? Also since the RING told OL Paul "At current Avarice levels a new ring can be created in X months" will he try to do that approach?

There is no other way for him to unfuck the Galaxy other than by creating more orange rings, so one would assume he would be motivated to spend time trying now that he is somewhat "safe" in Tau space.

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Umm. Question. While the Emperor of Mankind wasn't the best father for sure he was actually a pretty good ruler. If this Paul has an Orange ring that can heal and frankly can probably be undetectable. Why doesn't he just go to Terra and heal the Emperor... or Guliman if he doesn't want to risk Terra dirrectly.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

But then he would be WRONG on the internet!!
    It is almost as bad as stealing forty cakes.
    And that is terrible.