1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

It's not that simple, especially since you can adjust gelatin/fluid ratios to get gelatins of different consistencies.

The point of the recipe, however, was that it was easy to make, and reused various components... which, as noted, assumed that the specific things used were easy to get. That only applies if they (or reasonably equivalent) things are available locally.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  2. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

So, this isn't strictly cooking, but I feel like it's more applicable in this thread than the SB rants thead.

Coffee actually tastes awesome, but the standard hot brewing process kills a lot of that flavor while also producing a lot of bitterness that you end up needing to cover with sugar, and it muddles the whole thing.

If you want to taste good coffee, cold brew it.

You can go with something purpose built and fancy - I kickstarted this bad boy a while back and use it all the time, but it's just flash. You can make coldbrew with just a big jar/jug and use a cheesecloth bag/metal strainer or strain it later.

Grind the coffee coarse if you can, but you can use regular canned coffee intended for drip machines if you have a good filter. Just keep in mind that the bottom of the container will have a lot of sediment. Use double the amount of grounds you'd use for hot brew. I use about 200mL of grounds to 1.5L of water.

Then put the grounds in the jar or filter, fill it with water, stick it in the fridge and wait. Let it sit for 12-18 hours. Cold brew is nice not just because it tastes better but it also keeps longer. You can let that jug sit in your fridge for a few weeks, as opposed to a hot carafe that goes off after a couple hours.

Or alternately, buy Black Blood of the Earth, which is cold brewed and then vacuum extracted for maximum caffeine and flavor extraction. It tastes like coffee grounds smell, which is not what your standard cup of joe tastes like at all. BBotE is seriously good stuff but it's pricey - I've only ever bought two bottles.

3. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

I cold brew my coffee most of the times as well - I do half gallon batches in jars, 1/4 of the jar of superfine grounds, the rest water; stick it in the fridge, flpping the jar every 8 hours for 3 days, then remove the grounds. Sometimes I'll remove the grounds each day, then put new in... but that gets expensive. Makes espresso strength coffee without an espresso machine though.

Black Blood of the Earth does something similar, only their process uses more grounds & extracts the coffee oil + caffeine more efficiently. Requires equipment I don't have, though, which is why I don't follow their process.

edit: has anyone here ever bought BBOTE? I kinda want to, but with that price point I’d kinda like to have an endorsement of it.

re:edit: decided to buy a sampler. If nothing else, I can give a 50ml vial to a 5th grader for science.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

I have. It's really good stuff, probably the best coffee I've ever had. I can't comment on the different blends since I only had Kona. I will say that the 750ml bottle is a much better value than the sampler though, especially as you can reuse it for a discount.

Biigoh and Student of Zelretch like this.
  5. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Huh. Cold brew for three days? Now that's something I never heard of.

Might try it.

Biigoh and NovemberBlues like this.
  6. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

If you do, make sure there’s absolutely no flavoring to the coffee - I once did it with a flavored coffee blend, which was unexceptional but drinkable when brewed hot... brewed my way, it was so potent with the flavoring agent that it was undrinkable. If you’ve got a good roast, though, it can be amazing - I like https://kickapoocoffee.com/collections/all/products/organic-radio-wave the best of all the roasts I’ve tried, but obviously everyone has different tastes in what coffee they like.

7. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

I grind my own beans, don't worry.

I usually only cold brew up to 24 hours for my coffee, so three days seems, well, rather excessive. Still, it is quite interesting, I might try it today.

8. Threadmarks: Johnny Silverhand Cocktail - youtube
    Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

As a bit of a cross take from the Video Games Thread, here's something that every mixologist has been wanting since last week's Night City Nightwire revealing our first look at the legendary Afterlife bar in Cyberpunk: 2077. The Johnny Silverhand cocktail via Cocktail Chemistry:

And here is the exact recipe from his website:
    Edit: And for a third take, Youtube channel How to Drink has their own spin on the Silverhand:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Biigoh, Imabot and Sydonai like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Shingade ki Usal - fasting ver. - Idkusername
    Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Shingade ki Usal - fasting ver. (water caltrop stir fry) - Serves one.

• 50~60 water caltrops (also known as buffalo nuts)
    • 4-5 small chillis, chopped (might be too much for some people)
    • cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
    • ground peanuts - 2 tbsp.
    • Yoghurt - 1/2 small bowl
    • salt and sugar to taste
    • oil/ghee (type of clarified butter) for cooking

1. Wash the water lotuses after peeling.
    2. Grate them.
    3. Heat the pan with the oil/ghee.
    4. Put in the cumin seeds.
    5. After the cumin seeds are sauteed, put in the chillies. Can be put in together too.
    6. After the chillis are done, put in all the ingridients.
    7. Cook till colour changes to a brownish hue and the oil starts to dry up. Should take 8-10 minutes.

I got this recipe from my mom, who typically makes it when she's on a religious fast. I just like how it tastes. You can add curry leaves and other seasoning with the chillis depending on how long it takes for them to cook, but I've never felt the need.

10. Threadmarks: best cinnamon/dinner rolls - Stephen the Barbarian
    Stephen the barbarian

Stephen the barbarian I trust you know where the happy button is?

best cinnamon/dinner rolls

this is a "hybred'' recipe

the ingredients list comes from this bc recipe, doubled
    i've modified it as needed

up to 8 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 packages regular or fast-acting dry yeast (3 tbsp if using bulk)
    2 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick),
    2 large egg

+ 1/4 warm water

however the process is different

add the yeast to the water, allow to hydrate
    crack the eggs into a bowl, beat with a fork
    cube butter
    place 2 cups flour and salt in work bowl

place butter, milk, and sugar in a saucepan, heat over medium until the butter is nearly melted and the milk is warmed,
    add to work bowl, incorporate fully
    add eggs, incorporate fully
    add yeast, incorporate fully

add remaining flour, 1/2 at a time, until you can add no more
    turn out onto floured surface, kneed for ~10 minutes
    place dough into oiled bowl, allow to rise until doubled, ~1 hr
    punch down, turn out onto floured surface, roll out

for cinnamon rolls,
    spread out melted butter, sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar* over top, with optional dried fruit and nuts
    roll up, cut into 12-24 rolls, place into greased baking pan and bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes

for dinner rolls, same thing as before, but skip the filling and shape into balls

Biigoh, Ilikebob and Sydonai like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Easy Brazil's chesesbread - bastur2
    bastur2

bastur2 Versed in the lewd.

Let's give everyone here an easy (not the most traditional one) recipe for Brazil's chesesbread.

First you will need an equal volume of:

- Sour starch;
    - Half and half cream (I believe that this is the appropriet substitute);
    -Halfcured cheese (chose your poison), it is possible to use 2/3 of the halfcured cheese of your choice with 1/3 of Parmigiano regiano or something similar (chose the one that you prefer). -
    -Salt

How to do it.

Grate your cheese (coarse is etter).

Thrown everything in a bowl (or the recipient of your choice) and mix it.

Ad a pinch of salt to taste

If the mixture is not somewhat firm (it should stay in a spoon without falling of) ad some more Sour starch.

After you get the mixture in the intended firmness (you don't need it to be too firm), put, by spoonful, it on a tray to go to the oven.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 180° C.

Enjoy it.

Biigoh, Ilikebob and Sydonai like this.
  12. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Anyone know what texture bread pudding is supposed to have? I made it for the first time on a whim for and it turned out kinda fluffy and marshmallow-y which seems like it should be right? It's good, I know that. :V

Biigoh likes this.
  13. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

It depends on the exact culture and recipe that you are following. I am Brazilian, our bread pudding can have a gelatin/jello firm texture, usually a bit coarse because most recipes just tear the bread before soaking in the custard. My personal recipe is smooth but firm, as I blend the soaked bread to make it smooth and silky, it is also quite firm as you can cut a slice and hold it with your hand to eat it like that or use a fork to eat it. It should jiggle a bit but be firm and stable enough to hold its shape.

However like I said, that is my take on the recipe, other recipes might have a different texture.

When I make bread pudding I use around 10 or so bread rolls of around 50 grams each, 1 littre of milk, 1 and a half cup of sugar, a splash of vanilla and 6 to 10 eggs, mix everything same the bread well, soak the bread on the mix and then blend until smooth, bake in a bundt pan or high walled baking sheet covered in tin foil and placed inside another larger sheet halfway deep in water, bake until a tester comes clean. Some sprinkle sugar and cinnamon after baking, I make my pudding sweet enough to not require such. I also like to eat it chilled.

14. Melmar

I used this recipe here:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7177/bread-pudding-ii/

It looks like the pictures so I guess I did it right though I probably should have used a mixer instead of a whisk. It kinda reminds me of French toast but it's not goopy and drippy like French toast.

15. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

That recipe is more like french toast, like I said the bread there are just torn in chunks and placed in the custard to soak it up. Brazilian style and my own recipe are more in the lines of a firm flan, with or without bread pieces there. I prefer the smooth kind, but it is still tasty. Another reason why yours might have tasted like french toast might be the use of cinnamon sugar or some syrup like maple or something. The basic idea of both is similar enough, soak bread into a flavored egg custard and cook it, so you eat and do not waste stale bread.

Biigoh, Melmar and Sydonai like this.
  16. Melmar

Oh it was definitely the cinnamon that made it taste that way. I might actually consider adding just a bit more cinnamon if I make it again.

Biigoh likes this.
  17. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

Babish did Chicken Parm. I love the sauce but frying always makes me twitchy and dealing with disposing of the leftover oil is the part I hate.

Biigoh, Ilikebob, kinglugia and 2 others like this.
  18. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

You could always have it with bread or rice?

Biigoh likes this.
  19. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

Pardon? I mean the leftover oil used for frying the chicken in the video. The blazing hot oil has gotta cool before dumped and then I get this mass to scrape out of the pot

Biigoh and Alertpoet91 like this.
  20. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

No recipies, just an observation. When I cook with chicken, I almost always go with breast meat. No real reason why, I'm just used to it, I guess. Well I saw some thigh meat on sale, about $1/lb cheaper than breast meat, and picked it right up. Right now I'm enjoying it a lot more than chicken breast meat. I dunno why, exactly.

21. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

Thigh is dark meat, it's got a higher fat content and more flavor (opinions vary of course. because some people just have to be wrong)

Biigoh, Ilikebob, Ragnarok and 2 others like this.
  22. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Thigh meat and drum stick and wings are dark meat and thus has fat and muscles. So more delish

23. Threadmarks: The Jackie Wells - Raven1138
    Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Building off of a prior post, here's another drink recipe from Cyberpunk: 2077. The Jackie Wells

Mine will be some vodka, a good squeeze of lime juice, ginger beer and a splash of love...
    -Jackie Wells on what his Afterlife drink will be when he makes it big.

While a basic Moscow Mule, the main debate is what constitutes "a splash of love." To me, owing to Jackie's roots with the Valentinos, I interpreted the splash of love to be a mix of true grenadine and mescal. Those two additions add a nice nose to the drink and a bit of extra tartness without compromising the ginger beer's spice.

The Jackie Wells:

juice of one lime (approx 1 oz)
    2 oz vodka (Tito's brand or any simple unflavored vodka will do)
    1/4 oz mescal
    one can of good ginger beer (Q, Fever Tree or Goslings)
    Splash of True Grenadine (all natural with pomegranate, not the basic one with HFCS. Only the best for our choom)

Add the lime juice and vodka to a copper mug and add some crushed ice
    Stir to chill and dilute then add more ice
    Pour in the ginger beer till nearly full and give a quick stir to combine
    Add the mescal and splash of grenadine then serve.

nota-benne: drink goes even better with several story scenes in CP:2077, including one particular side mission where raising a Jackie Wells may as well be mandatory. Those who have played that mission know what I am talking about.

Biigoh, vyor, kinglugia and 2 others like this.
  24. Threadmarks: The Foxhunter Martini - Raven1138
    Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Quick double post, this time with a Worm themed cocktail: the Foxhunter Martini from Wine Enthusiast. A port wine martini riff that between the name and color had me thinking, "this is Tattletale's drink of choice after a hard day of being smug."

The Foxhunter Martini

2oz of Bourbon (no real brand preference, I used Buffalo Trace but any good bourbon works)

3/4oz sweet vermouth

3/4oz late bottle vintage port wine (I used Quinta das Carvalhas which was fairly inexpensive)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Combine the ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice. Strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass and garnish with a lemon twist and luxardo cherry. Sip while feeling smug.

Biigoh, Ilikebob, vyor and 1 other person like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Original Gen KFC - Youtube
    Biigoh

"The End The Final KFC Recipe Video - KFC secret Ingredients revealed - Glen And Friends Cooking"

26. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Hmm, I wonder if it's considered acceptable to add cooking / rice wine into the rice you're cooking / steaming. Substitute it for water if you're steaming it, maybe?

27. Biigoh

But why?

28. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I mean, if you're cooking it with chicken drumsticks, ginger, and garlic... might as well turn it into a drunken chicken rice :V

29. Biigoh

Salbazier and kinglugia like this.
  30. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Of course I've properly washed the rice and soaked it! I just don't have the time to go full gourmet mode and cook them one by one, so steam them it is! Diced and mashed ginger-garlic, stuff a bit of the mix into the chicken drumstick (under the skin, still have no idea how to make the skin nor tear itself apart during steaming), then put the rice at bottom of the steaming thingie, then a bit of water (enough to cover rice), the drumstick (and other stuff like mushrooms and such) on top...

Then the rest of the ginger-garlic mash and top it off with shaoxing wine (not too little, not too much), add salt to taste, and then steam it for ~30 minutes. Bueno af. Just make sure you pay attention to the steamed shit, and simmer it instead of letting the water boil like mad.

Alertpoet91 likes this.