1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what is warhammer subspace?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That sentence was correct.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ugh, I corrected it in Story Only and on my copy, but somehow missed in in the main thread.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    Just one ring responded.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In Warhammer "subspace" is the boundary layer between real space and the warp.

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn't it be "Than"?

Mr Zoat and Darko like this.
  6. transhumansage

dont the space elves use that as the webway?

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sort of? The webway was originally part of the immaterium/warp, but it was segmented off from the immaterium by the Old One's and is now considered to "sit" between the two.

transhumansage likes this.
  8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Webway is generally considered a construct, made by the Old Ones. The Eldar took over for them. It's ....complex, but generally consider it a psychic structure built IN the Warp itself, but insulated from the tides of energy. It's a network of tunnels, some large enough for a ship the size of a craftworld to move through, some fine enough for individuals to step through.

If you are in the webway and find a breach, it leads into the warp itself, allowing demons in. More then that, the webway links the craftworlds infinity circuit and exodite worlds versions of the same, allowing for communication between ships and worlds.

The 'subspace' that the Tau use IS the Warp, but it's...shallow waters. They only dip their toes in the warp, not going deep enough to catch the tides and currents, never reaching the same speeds that the imperium and other powers do. Safer, but much slower, hence why the tau haven't spread nearly as far.

Take a peek at the 'Path of the Eldar' omnibus if you want a better look at the mechanics of the webway from the Eldar side.

Cuchulin, FourthPear and Ardy like this.
  9. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Random thought. Is the 'perfect' counter to Paul is sending someone so obviously in need of help, who will accidentally kill him when the time is right. In the meantime he is very distracted.

Ardy likes this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was just Tau propaganda.

AKA it was retconned.

It turns out the Tau didn't actually have any FTL until recently, just an STL drive that could get them really really close to the speed of light. (Kroot not withstanding.)

transhumansage likes this.
  11. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

Sorry for the late post, but it’s ‘vaunted’ skills.

12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Oh, so it is. Turns out I'd misread the rest of the sentence.

moralrelativity likes this.
  13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

Maybe in the story thread, but not this discussion thread.

14. transhumansage

you mean "sit" between immatirum and reality right? cuz immaterium and warp are the same.

seriously? did they reverse engineer imperium tech? what edition was the retcon? how do they navigate the warp then?

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I in fact did... A couple of words got lost in editing that. :oops:

6th and 8th Edition Tau Codex's.

The 6th edition changed the Tau's primary method of travel from the Ether drive to the ZFR drive. And then in the 8th edition during the 4th and 5th expansions they started testing and eventually ended up with the Slipstream drive, which was really just a reverse engineered Imperium/Kroot warp technology.

As to how they navigate, they used AI for calculated jumps, which is yes, really stupid since it basically means Chaos could turn every one of their ships with a flick of a switch, but that's the Tau for you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

26th June 2012
    18:47 GMT

"Do not lie to me, human scum!"

"Former test pilot Harold Jordan is older than me-" By roughly six years. "-and American. I'm of British origin. You can tell the difference by comparing our accents. What colour Lantern do you think Harold Jordan is?"

"Colour-? He's a Lantern."

"Until a little under two years ago the only Lanterns operating on Earth were green. I -obviously- am orange. If you believe Harold Jordan to be a Lantern then presumably you know which colour."

There's a very definite pause.

"Our records show that Harold Jordan is Earth's greatest Lantern during this era. You are this era's greatest Lantern, therefore-"

"Thank you."

"-you are Harold Jordan."

I let out a quiet chuck-

"Do not dare to laugh at me!"

-le.

"No, no… These things happen." I exhale quietly. "Do you want me to… Get another Lantern? I'd hate for you to have wasted your-"

There's a spear in my chest.

"-time..."

That looks bad. I extend filaments to assimilate it, only for it to vanish in a swirl of green.

The spear Aeres is holding hasn't left her hand. She didn't move to throw it or lunge with it. Another Sheeda under some sort of invisibility ward? Possible, but my ring is monitoring local air currents which should give me warning if someone tries that. My spell eater is still at zero usage. Not sure, but a small hole in my chest isn't much of a problem these days.

The only unfortunate thing is that I can't see any focused 'spear Orange Lantern' desire in the Honden. Or any duty-related impulse that appears to have that as an obvious consequence. Some members of the League of Shadows have desires that feel a little like that, but the spear wasn't their usual weapon of choice.

"Do you fear me now?"

"Six months ago an angel shoved a burning sword through my skull, while I was in hell and defended by an army of demons. I'm sorry, but no matter what you do you're not going to get the emotional reaction you're looking for."

"Through your skull?"

"I got better. Look, if you can't identify me correctly, does it not logically follow that you might-?"

I blink and she's lunging, forcing me to transition aside! Her weapon glows green for a moment and then vanishes as she raises her hands, runes flicking into being-.

I fire an energy pulse just to check-. Yes, immune to constructs, but my railgun construct has formed and I fire a mage slayer-.

Her spear reappears in a green flicker and she cuts my round in half-.

Temporal manipulation. She can stab backwards in time. The colour matches the goo Melmoth was using. Presumably she has a limited quantity with her, which means that any stab that doesn't kill me is a wasted shot. A hit to my brain might kill me, but I just told her that it didn't keep me dead. The only way for her to disable me would be to cut off all three of my rings and if she wanted to kill me then she'd have to follow up immediately.

Alright then.

I manipulate light without creating a laser construct, sending rays of orange light at her. Her spear blurs -darn, no green glow- as she turns them aside, the relatively weak rays heading towards the sky above or the ground below. I don't think she's actually moving at super speed, she's just got some sort of super-enhanced reflexes and accuracy. Fine. This time I create lasers, moving them to surround-.

Three of my filaments are severed by a green glowing spear while her weapon remains in her hands. I generate more lasers to replace them in an attempt to force her future self to leave it in the past for longer while I fire the ones she's not disrupting at her. She twists, spear turning aside some shots while she physically evades others, future-spear ensuring that she always has an escape.

Remove oxygen.

A wave of orange passes through the air, oxygen molecules vanishing as they pass. Aeres doesn't react to my action, instead lunging at me once again. No obvious supply of air in her armour, and I don't know Sheeda runes well enough to know which ones are doing the job. Alright, lack of air's clearly not a problem and there goes the spear.

I send out a wave of orange, transmuting nitrogen gas into phosphorus. With no oxygen present it doesn't ignite immediately, and she appears to ignore my effort in favour of manoeuvring to get into position to send her spear into the past. Is she only capable of sending it back for a limited amount of time? What happens if she doesn't? I'll monit-

Warning! Spell eater temperature increasing.

-or.

I throw out a network of orange strands and return the oxygen. Flame engulfs me to no effect: hot as burning phosphorus is, my construct armour and my power armour are designed to take much hotter attacks than this. I momentarily can't see what's happened to her, though-. That gives me an idea. It's a bit primitive, but given that my tattoos should be obscuring-

The spear hits me in the left thigh, and it's gone before I can grab it.

-me from her magic, just-. Heal, using hologram decoys might work.

I take three projector drones out of subspace as the phosphorus burns out, my outline shuddering as three of me go in different directions. Actual me goes invisible, the orange strands linking the three of them happening to pass through the volume of space containing me.

Aeres doesn't seem to have been unduly bothered by the heat, parrying a hopeful volley of laser beams before flying-. The spear disappears and she fades from view.

But I'm still watching the air currents in minute detail, and monitoring where she'll have to go to make her temporal thrusts. This time the construct laser is broad enough that she shouldn't be able to parry it. Not if her parry ability works like I think it does.

And there and fire!

A flash of green and-. I hit her while her spear was in the past. She flickers back into visibility, a few very slight signs of damage visible on her armour.

And electrolaser.

Lightning flashes and… Arcs around her as her spear reappears. Alright, I suppose that electricity is something she would probably be warded against.

Left hologram gets a time travelling spear through the head, and the decoy correctly displays what would happen if that happened to me. It stills in the air, and I stop projecting orange light to allow all four of us to play possum.

So that's a 'no' to electricity, heat, oxygen deprivation and light. Next are cold, kinetic damage and gravity.

Drone 2 goes into contingency mode, creating a hologram orange spear and charging while I remove a stealthed cold gun from my equipment harness. Aeres moves her spear to a 'guard' position while the distraction swipes at her head, the third drone switches to light-chaff generation and I take a shot-.

Which a spear appears from the future to parry.

Okay, next thing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Temporal shenanigans. How fun.

19. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘send’

20. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ah, she's dumb but cute and has some neat abilities. Recruit her for the team.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

These idiots just don't get it. What does Paul have to do to get it through their skulls that what they're dealing with isn't what they thought it is? Kill all the Sheeda on the planet? If he could, I'm pretty sure he would, and most people would be fine with it, especially if they saw what the Sheeda did to the people they captured.

Edit: Saw, not say.

22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

head -> dead

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The logic on this one is something Spock would envy, if he did envy of course.

'dare to' separate them

In the words of Richard from Looking for Group:

"What you did was an error"

'weapon'

'presumably'

His original ring, the one from Larfleeze and the one from Manga yes. unless Ghiata gave him back the ring he gave her?

'send'

This sentence feels wrong.

'are designed'

24. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

LA MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOOOO

Also OL's Time-traveling diagnoses seems a little premature. I think some kind of exotic weapon that can project other versions of it's self would also fit everything he has observed so far. It does violate conservation of powers though, so it could go either way.

Otto von Saurion, Relyt33 and Arghonn like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... Why doesn't Paul just end this instantly by branding her like he did Melmoth?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  26. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

Since shreds are the future of humanity, destroying them would destroy humanities future right?

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Why? Because she is a woman?

Kill her and take the time juice.

28. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Because all of his constructs and orange light in general gets dispersed in a certain radius around her. Which means he can't brand her as far as I'm aware.

jonasquinn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Those are construct.

But branding worked just fine on Melmoth, who had more protections, and was under an energy draining sun that should have sapped Paul's rings in nanoseconds.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I know the Sheeda are evil and all, but what does Harvesting actually do? They are from far in the future. They harvest what from the past? Resources? But given their evil and depraved alignment they can't do anything else than fight and raid and are insulted like this spear bitch was when Paul said resettlement and rebuilding their civilization could be an option.

The Sheeda don't harvest enough to actually stop, although that seems to be partially psychological/social as they don't want to stop. They want to be murderous Fair Folk.

And what does harvesting people do? They strip victims for parts or render them down or steal their souls to power their technology or what? Kid Flash told Paul he saw a video of the League hitting a Sheeda ship that had victims in it and was sick.

So the Sheeda harvest, but the past world always goes on not even noticing them as aggressors until the present point in the story where the Sheeda are kind of stuck in and can't or won't disengage so this might be all or nothing.

But then again, if all their tech in the future going by Grayven and Artemis in the last part saw, Sheeda tech is all biological biopunk. So people they capture are ground down to bone and flesh to be repurposed into Sheeda biotech? Kill them all.

Cuchulin and Istaran like this.