1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Wow. That's a lot of Supergirls in one place...

Count so far is:

1. a Nazi-falvoured one
    2. a (Fallen) Angel-flavoured one
    3. the real deal

The first two aren't really kryptonians and the last one (ironically) has no desire for either the name or the job :D

So the Team* has two discount Supergirls, an Apokalyptian, a Zamaronian (sp?), a Martian, a discount Kryptonian, a few Atlanteans (maybe, I'm honestly not sure whether any but Kaldur stuck around) and a number of human metas, Artemis and Robin, (Kid) Flash, Kid's girlfriend ??? (She-Magneto?) and ... who else? A couple of magicians (assuming Zatanna is back on the Team since Paul is once again nominally a part of it) and a... British Robin chick?

Anyone I missed?

*they really need a name. 'Titans' sounds a bit pretentions but it is classic. 'Teen Titans' wouldn't work since a lot of them aren't teens any longer.

edit: the Team's doing much better on the number of dedicated magic users than the League. Depending on how you count it they have at least half a dozen. They are also much lighter on the number of unempowered human members compared to when they started.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Prince Charon, zeebza and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That depends on whether you are talking about the Paragon timeline version or the Renegade timeline version.
    Paragon has Ghia'ta, Squire, Canis, Aquagirl, Tempest, Arisia, Cornwall Boy, Troia, Osiris, Starfire (Redstar in comics), Noriel, and Overgirl.
    Renegade has Beowulf (Billy Batson's third identity), Celestial Archer, Match, Ixy (a G-Goblin), and Magenta.

Paragon has more members and versatility, while Renegade benefits from most members being New Gods or equivalents, and having New God tech.

zeebza, Cuchulin, Istaran and 2 others like this.
  3. Agent Orange

Completely forgot about these three. Also, who's 'Arisia'?

Wait what??? Why would he be tripleshifting?

You're right. She is on Renegade's side of the coin. Wait what happened to her on Paragon side?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I find her irritating. Stupidity like that cannot be educated. You'll never convince her she has the wrong guy, so it would be kinder just to kill her. Or assimilate her. That destroys the soul too doesn't it? No afterlife for this bitch.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm starting to think that, due to how OL ended up in the universe, that he wasn't in the original timeline. Hence why no one knows him.

Kinda like if he did something like Truggs. Heading back from a future, and then being active in a past that he wasn't originally.

zeebza, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Billy got the Sword of Beowulf and decided he wanted to hang out more with the Team than in the Paragon timeline, possibly because he didn't have Teth Adom to learn from. As for Magenta, Mr Zoat said that she was healed by KF's healing potion. Nothing else after that.

zeebza, Cuchulin, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Luck stat is the ability to overcome or overwrite fate. It's not much a metaphysical roll d20 and more like you have the ability to tell the DM to re roll his dice, until you agree with the results.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

How about now?

Chojin Patriarch and Xmaster3000 like this.
  9. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Ironically a fight that Paul is very well equipped to not lose but is tactically inclined to not win.
    His opponent has super reflexes rather than super speed and only a single time-travelling spear with limited uses. She is very vulnerable to being overwhelmed by sheer dakka. Fortunately for her Paul will always try to finesse a problem rather than force it.

Prince Charon, zeebza and Ardy like this.
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Green Lantern who in the comics was in an inappropriate relationship with Hal Jordan. Here, she's learning under him, though OL suspects that the Guardians did that so that they could keep a closer eye on either/both Earth or/and OL.

11. Agent Orange

It was a quote Chaos but thanks for the explanation.

Oh! I remember her now. The pixie looking alien girl that... aged herself out of the jailbait area via her ring?
    I honestly don't remember her being a thing here at all. Whenabout did she join the Team again?

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  12. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I think you're supposed to capitalize after colon, also a genuinely necessary comma missing after 'is'.

Chojin Patriarch, Mr Zoat and Darko like this.
  13. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I think he can't target her. Better question, why didn't Melmoth have similar defenses?

14. Agent Orange

From a certain point of view he did just that. This fic started in 2013 and in-universe it was 2010 when OL (still nameless back then) popped into existence. He didn't really exist before that but from his PoV and PoV of those around him he is coming from 'the faraway year of 2013'. Not 2013 of this TL either (not 2013 of this universe either). I think he even commented on the time difference, it was just insignificant next to trapped in DCverse.

So really he has nothing to complain about all of these jokers not recognizing him as the Bestest Hero of Earth. He's in the same situation (except not).

zeebza likes this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She showed up on Earth in Episode 90: Sprited Away.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'but overall the total number of unusual forms like this are more common'

Or just 'but over the total number of unusual'

I tried to look for when she was called 'Loriel' by someone in the chapters, but I couldn't find anything.

Guess it was just something the readers started calling her.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  17. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

This lady appears to have been designed to fight "a Lantern" as her sole purpose in existence. I suppose it's not surprising she has better protections than Melmoth in this limited case, since going all-in on one type of protection probably means she's weaker in other areas.

In which case the real lesson here is to pull a switch-er-roo with someone else and let her fight somebody whose attacks her defenses aren't optimized against.

CTrees likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I don't believe that to be the case.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Because he got caught with his greaves down.
    I think it's alright.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just reviewed the Team members, and in this fic, her codename is actually Polara. Other than that, she's dating Renegade!KF and may be haunted by the fact that her powers killed her parents.

20. Agent Orange

But if she was optimized against Hal Jordan she'd be immune to boxing glows and straight line ring blasts/beams. OL uses neither. Who'd be her worst match I wonder? Hmmm...

We already established she patterned herself after FSN Lancer so it's safe to assume she'd have a 'Protection Against Arrows' as her class skill. That means Artemis is out (and so are other members of Pointy Stick Launcher group). It works just as well against beams apparently. So any blasters won't be much better.
    She either doesn't need to breathe or can hold her breath really long which makes gas attacks a no go. She can go invisible for extra damage (I dunno if Stealth Lancer is a thing but we all know how OP Stealth Archers are). She can mess with emotions. She has at least a blue belt in Déjà Fu. She's very bad at doing research and/or colourblind.

A regenerator resistant or immune to psychic attacks with indirect and/or conceptual AOE attacks of their own would do the trick I think. J'onn or M'gann perhaps? Cornwall or Zatanna otherwise.

zeebza likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A Black Lantern may be a good bet for beating her, due to the whole heart removal thing.

Agent Orange likes this.
  22. Agent Orange

I guess OL could give Zaul a ring (heh). But I don't think the situation warrants it yet.

infinityDivided likes this.
  23. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think you're kind of missing the scale the Sheeda are working on.

They're civilization-enders. It's not that they're not noticed. It's that the time between harrowings is so long that they're not even a myth by the time they show back up again.

I don't know if it's changed in this fic, but I believe that the comics version of the Sheeda has the first harrowing set sometime after 40,000 BC, and the last harrowing before this one took place ~10,000 years ago.

Kind of implicit in the entire concept of the Sheeda is that there's been some some number of civilizations that arose before our current knowledge of human history, each of which was wiped out by the Sheeda.

zeebza, Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade showed some UN members a recording of one of the past Harrowings, which took place during the time of the dinosaurs.

And when renegade was talking to Melmoth he asked him if Melmoth would just send him and Artemis during the time of the dinosaurs, to which Melmoth replied no, because he thought they would stop the Sheeda's Harrowing of a civilization that existed during that time.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I now have this image in my head:

I remember that Zual started skipping after getting some demon hearts, so him suddenly getting an entire feast of Sheeda hearts may make him do this.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So are we still in Namek?

No, they are just from a future of many.

27. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

There's your problem. You should be looking for 'spear Harold Jordan'

28. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Isn't the WH40K setting basically the same thing as the Guardians of the 'Universe' in the main setting?

Where the 'universe' isn't actually universal, just the local galactic neighborhood? The warp local warp plots to the local realspace, where the local chaos gods were made and sustained by the local psychic impressions. All the grimdark empires are confined to one galaxy, except the Tyranids who presumably came from some other galaxy.

If you wanted to be safe, and had intergalactic travel from a ring, plotting the tyranid direction of travel, and taking a sustainable population to some other galaxy 90° offset from that seems rather safe. Especially if you have meta knowledge from other editions that would let you know where to find examples of tech to fill the rings database beforehand.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually the Imperium has extragalactic probes that went around scanning other galaxies.

They found them filled with Ork's.

Also most of the really good Technology in Warhammer would be impossible for him to copy with a ring.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

deprivation (although suffocating someone could potentially be considered depraved)

Could be worse. Could literally be that it's immune to the first N attack types you use against it.

It would be a good reason to NOT open with the big guns.

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.