1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

It would make sense for them to be somewhat concerned over the presence of hostile civilizations influenced by Chaos but that seems like a very localized threat. I understand that the Imperial perspective is that any significant Alien Civilization always represents a dire threat and that any Human Civilization other than the Imperium is either corrupted beyond salvation by Chaos or full of helpless savages that need to be saved, but this doesn't need to be the case. It would be perfectly possible for their to be reasonable Alien and Human Civilizations in the Halo Zones who have been spared from extermination by their isolation from the Imperium.

If anything I would assume that OL would be very interested in a region of space where Human Civilization can trace their origin directly back to its founding in the Age of Technology without having their culture erased or perverted by the Imperium. This seems like on of the few places where he could potentially find a Human Civilization that fits in with his moral code and isn't dominated by Alien powers.

That actually seems like it could be the start of a fantastic story. OL could spend his time traveling around to the isolated Human worlds beyond the reach of the Major powers of the setting trying to help them solve their problems and gradually rebuild Interstellar Civilization.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We may see something like that in future chapters.

3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Props to the Justice League for dealing with assassins of this caliber over these stressful months. Flash had close calls, but they could be doing a lot worse.

CTrees and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'starts pulling' or 'pulls'

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, it's fine as it is.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It took me a LONG time to figure out what the "Sheeeedaaaah" comment was supposed to mean. I'd honestly never made the mental connection to Sidhe. (Though that's just "shee", where's the "da" from?)

in

shear

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did OL just summon to win? Hah, que FF battle music.

CTrees likes this.
  9. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

His greatest spell has always been ‘Phone an Ally’.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's nothing living left in the Halo.

The one surviving solar system we know of ejected themselves from the galaxy rather then face whatever it was that happened to the others. And no, Paul can't go to them, because they are murderous to everything not their own people and Dark Age of Technology technology trumps Power Ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Siiiigh...I know. Never been a fan to be honest.

12. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

On the one hand, true. On the other hand, didn’t the greeks have this whole thing that humans who did not worship the same gods (or their gods by a different name) literally were not people? As in they were equivalent to beasts and thus whatever you did to them was either fine, animal cruelty, or theft of animals at the worst?

Something something morality of a bygone age?

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was both after the Romans conquered the Greek's, and after the Romans converted to early Christianity.

The Greek Hellenistic religion itself was very accepting of other systems of belief.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

Really? Because I recall several mentions of the Persian peoples (and the Nubians, I believe they were from modern day Ethiopia and Sudan) being equivalent to beasts from both before, during, and after the Persian Wars.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What do you recall that from?

16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i know this is w40 but why assume that its hundered percent bad. there could be an interex like civilization out there. there is a difference between grim dark and grim derp.

17. Mr Zoat

I think you've answered your own question, there.
    True, but that statistics are rather against it.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Thinking about it.

It's kind of odd that Paul automatically went to them taking a Rogue Trader ship to the planet instead of hitching a ride on one of the stealthed black ships given just who the who in question was.

19. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Old EU star wars lore had something like a Galactic Barrier which kept folks from just trying to FTL out into the dark. The Vong are one of the few, and most famous, extra galactic races to make it through that. New lore hasn't touched on it since.

For 40k...the webway might go out that far, but if it does the eldar aren't talking. Does raise some questions on how Other powers navigate out that far if there is a civilization out there. Orks, at least when they don't have a direction via PLOT, just sort of float on hulks and go where the tide takes them. 'Nids have their own organic warp drives that work like human and ork drives...somehow. But they seem to navigate using other parts of the swarm as their sign posts, since the hive is telepathic. As P'aul mentioned, they can and do detect other life forms and psi beacons this way as well, but they don't seem to require them the same way that the Imperium does. Honestly I'd love to see examples of human dark age FTL tech touched upon.

The oldest ship I recall coming up was the 'Speranza' , an Ark Mechanicus class vessel of the Adeptus Mechanicus. This ship was old, and had things on board even the crew didn't know about. Like a functional AI and a full Standard Template Constructor......oh yeah and a gun that doesn't miss because it rewrites history retroactively...sort of like spear gal here did, just with something that can obliterate a few km long ships in a single shot. No one knew about any of the old tech until it got threatened enough the AI felt it was needed....sooo many questions...

20. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

26th June 2012
    15:27 GMT -5

Jordan smiles incredulously.

"She thought I was you?"

Aeres is currently dressed in prison clothing and bound by metal clamps, Dr. Balewa's magic and the Lasso of Truth, and is giving Batman and Mr J'onzz everything that they want. For some reason it doesn't appear to have occurred to the Justice League to try summoning demons during their fights with the Highborn.

Can't imagine why.

"According to her, their records name you as Earth's most powerful Lantern. And since as far as she could tell that's the position I hold, I had to be you."

"You know, a few years ago I'd have argued that." He glances away for a moment. "Why don't time travellers know about you? Was it something to do with your fight with Krona?"

"It could be? It could be that the future they're coming back from isn't our future any more, with… Something about my arrival being the point of differentiation? Though whether that's because of Krona or because of whatever it was that brought me here in the first place, I don’t know."

He nods. "You ever find out what that was?"

I shake my head. "No, but I haven't really been looking into it lately. Maybe if Sivana gets pardoned I'll ask him to take a look. It should keep him entertained for a little while."

"Did-?" He takes a sharp breath before giving me his full attention. "Did Batman know about that?"

"I don’t know. I didn't keep in touch with Sivana because Batman asked me to, and other than a report on what happened with the Huntsman I didn't tell him, but that doesn't mean-."

He nods. "Doesn't mean he didn't know." He exhales slowly. "I feel like I should be tearing you a new one over that, but it might end up being the best thing that could have happened."

"How did the Guardians take the news about the psions?"

"I was there when Green Man reported in. They didn't sound surprised. Disappointed, maybe."

"In the actions of the people of Vega? In the psions? In themselves?"

"I don't know. I'd guess all three." He shakes his head. "I mean, on the face of it, their plan made a lot of sense. The only thing in Vega at the time was Larfleeze. Stick the psions out of the way, keep an eye on them, no one gets hurt. They'd been self-isolating on the Guardians' old homeworld for their entire history. It must have seemed like a safe bet."

I frown. "I sort of assumed that the psions came from Maltus."

"I did too. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but from what the Guardians were saying it didn't sound like that was the case. Was Maltus ever uninhabited?"

"Do you know, I haven't asked."

He shrugs. "I used to think that Oa was the Guardians' homeworld." He turns to face the monitor, watching as Aeres struggles and fails to hide information from the Lasso. "What do you think I did?"

"I'm sorry?"

"What makes them think I'm the greatest? Was.. something supposed to happen that didn't because of you?"

"I'm wary of the word 'supposed'. It always makes me want to ask 'according to who?'. But if I had to guess: without my input Guy stayed in obnoxious jock mode and didn't improve as much as he has."

Jordan snorts with amusement. "So it's not so much that I was better as everyone else was worse."

"You might have been worse, too. If it wasn't for Guy, would you have gone for the M'eelam Na'aquall?"

"Not for a while. It's weird; Guy's almost tolerable now. And I'm not sure whether that’s because he's changed or because I have."

"I think it's mostly him."

Jordan smiles faintly. "Yeah, probably. But… I've changed too. I'm less… I don't need to obsess over a construct to keep it strong. And I don't forget about things that aren't right in front of me any more."

"How is Ms. Ferris?"

"How's Mz. Cheshire?"

"Doing well, thanks for asking. She's mostly doing counter-intelligence work, and since she's up against the Reach she's doing a lot of good."

"Are the two of you actually spending any time together-?"

"Yes." I roll my eyes. "Now that her training and orientation are over, yes, we are. I didn't want to make her appointment look cronyistic so I gave her space to find her feet. But now she's got a few successes under her belt that's not an issue."

His eyes dip, and he looks a little sad. "That's… Not something I ever managed to make work. I used to think I had it hard when the Corps could call me away at a moment's notice, but you have Cheshire… How often do you see her?"

"Every few days. Not now, obviously, not if one of us is on a mission, and she lives in a fortified barracks and can't visit me." I shrug. "It's not great, but we manage." I frown. "It wasn't a secret identity thing, was it? I thought that Ms. Ferris and her father knew?"

"Not… Right at the start. And that was a big deal. I was eating crow for…" He shifts awkwardly. "Ah, a while. And it didn't help that she knew, because I still wasn't around. As.. her boyfriend, and… One of her employees. She needs a boyfriend and a test pilot she could rely on to be there. And I… Wasn't."

"If something's important enough, you make time for it."

"That Orange Lantern Corps philosophy?"

"No. Star Trek: Generations. If it was Orange Lantern Corps philosophy, it would be: 'if you want something enough'." I frown. "That's a point. I never asked: after Legion was defeated, why did you keep your ring?"

He jerks his head in my direction, frowning.

"If it was a second job that kept you away from your girlfriend, your job and flying planes… What made you stay on?"

That prompts a slow exhalation, and his gaze returning to the screen.

"I don't quit." A quiet snort. "Even when I should. If it was a choice between being a pilot or a Lantern…" He raises his right hand slightly, clenching his fist. "You know what I picked. But I didn't see it as a choice, not until Carol made it one. I just thought that if I worked a bit harder I could have it all. And… After I got fired and dumped, it was the only thing I had left. If I had my time again, I'd have come clean with Carol right at the start, quit Ferris Air as soon as we could find someone to take the job. That could have worked. Wouldn't have been easy…"

I nod. "No chance of patching things up now?"

That prompts a smile. "I don't think my current girlfriend would like that too much."

"But at least Carol and I are friends again. I missed talking to her."

"Ah, who's-?"

"Batman to Lanterns. Prepare to move out."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the whole losing a soul thing, along with potentially summoning something worse than the Sheeda and losing control of it.

'I should'

'take the'

'Ms.'

maybe 'now that she's'

'Not now'

'Ms.' you forgot to add a .

'I frown'

So who is the new girlfriend?

Is it Carol -14?

22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' too '

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Haha the reaction.

"JORDAN GOT A GIRLFRIEND! ALERT! HE IS DATING! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, those are correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Link fixed.

Istaran, JoTa34, dxdragon and 2 others like this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Please don't tell me he's dating Arisia.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I know, humiliating, isn't it? Evidently the difference is age, nationality or Spectrum colour didn't clue her in. If all the Highborn were this single-minded, it might have been a little easier to mess with their combat plans.

Most of them are from Abrahamic religions where that sort of thing is... not entirely palatable. :rolleyes: And those that aren't have better options. Plus, I doubt many of them have much in the way of the magical skill required, or the willingness.

Well, that's impressive. Someone actually noticed it. And I see Hal's been checking up on reports.

One more thing for the increasingly large to-do list, if it isn't already there. Presumably it's falling in priority with each event that comes up.

;) Dude: Batman. Despite his 'cool dad' veneer, he's still the paranoid, slightly cracked detective guy under there. Of course he'd know about Sivana.

Heh. And it's not like OL hasn't had success reforming other super-criminals before.

I wonder if they ever thought about sending in teams of lanterns to help clean Vega up once Larfleeze was removed from the picture. Or were they debating it before this happened? Probably one of those 'talk about it when there's nothing else urgent' topics.

Man, even in-universe, they can't keep their historical continuity straight. Then again, when they're the ones writing the history books, I guess they get to choose the offical version.

There had to be a period when the original Maltusians weren't in residence, wasn't there? After all, the 'Clickers' come from Maltus, right? A few million years away might easily allow another species to evolve.

Well, you're older and wiser now. You know to not accept the official line at first sight. I bet you could easily overcome the yellow weakness now...

That way lies far too many 'what if's' and 'maybes'... Be who you are, not who you think you want history to record you were.

That an amusing way to look at it. And a little obnoxious. I'd say, always aim for second place. Why not first? Because as the Disc's second-greatest lover, Casanunda, said: second place works harder.

No hard feelings because he managed to Host Ion? That's a pretty big bump to his rep in the Corps. No wondering if you could have managed it, or have been found wanting?

Too bad your ring's full of bobblehead malware, you could have it assist you on that front. Good to know you're not so scatterbrained, though.

Trying to embarrass OL by turning it around on him? You fool. You know OL has no shame. :D

Getting a little bit inquisitive there, Hal? :p What a gentleman and a lady get up to in private is their business.

While it may not seem like we see her often, we've got to keep in mind, we aren't seeing every minute of every day of OL's life. There's got to be some stuff happening offscreen...

Like the movie said: "I've known you my whole life! I've seen you NAKED! You don't think I wouldn't recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones?!" Honestly, The only reason Green lanterns even have masks are the old Superhero tropes about secret identities, isn't it?

Heh. To be fair, they had a good point there. It's a good idea to live by, and a lot harder these days with so many things competing for our time. I doubt it would be any easier for guys like Hal.

Legion... That would be the foe Hal was recruited by Abin Sur to fight, yes? And that was only because he was the closest valid candidate... That's honestly a good question. If you knew the job was that dangerous, why keep doing it? The thrill? The 'duty'? Because no-one else could?

It's to do with why he's such a good Green Lantern, isn't it? That determination... That stubbornness that makes him so strong...

Plus, the ability to fly without a plane? What pilot hasn't dreamed of that? The movie made strange choices, but Hal's joy at flying with the ring? That's one thing it got right.

...What. Wait, are we talking about that pilot, callsign 'Cowgirl', from the post-Infinite crisis stories or someone else? :confused: It better not be Arisia, that's wrong on way too many levels.

Local Carol, of course. I doubt Earth-14's Dame Carol wouldn't have any history with him, besides her version (maybe?) being Power Ring Green.

Ah, man! Put that on the to-do list, OL: Find out who Hal's dating now. Just for the sake of heading off future trouble?

Heh. Might be one of the longest one-on-one scenes we've seen between Hal and OL in a long time. It's usually Guy doing the Green-Orange buddy-buddy thing. And no comment on what the Guardians had to say about the Sheeda invasion? Beyond the presumed 'It's an Internal matter, none of our concern?' :rolleyes: I guess Hal was visiting on break from honour Guarding...

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

After the Psions were wiped out and Paul called Green Man he told him that the Psions were dead and the treaty was null, so this could mean the Guardians had a deal with the Psions to leave them alone.

The Clickers came from another planet.

The Controllers were trying to scout for some planetoids and they came across the Clickers, who they then helped in exchange for service, and now a lot of them live on Maltus, but they didn't evolve there.

The Guardians could have left Maltus then went to the Psions homeworld, which they then made their homeworld and later on moved to Oa.

In the voice of TTS Rogal:

"This is accurate"

If she does have any history it's most likely trying to put him in jail.

29. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Well so much from being forevermore safe from Sheeda if you just beat this Harvest.

It's Dame Carol isn't it? I mean who else could it b- oh gods! Arisia! Not again!

"She has both reach and flexibility."

The problem isn't that some stuff is happening offscreen it's that most stuff regarding a supposedly loving relationship is happening offscreen. And on rare occasion it gets some screen time some of us are left with an uncomfortable feeling that his chemistry with Jade is somehow less than with most of the other characters or hell even random encounters in some cases.

I think this is a pure 'Strangled by the Red String' trope. Mr Zoat already decided who the LI was going to be, fumbled the transition from 'friend' to 'girlfriend' and then put her on a bus to Maltus so that more interesting plotlines could happen. And now he makes it worse by lampshading it with even other characters asking the MC about it.

It's especially bizarre because he can write a more nuanced relationship. He has. Just not with Paragon Jade.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  30. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I thought this Paul found out how he got summoned - The Controller (I forgot her name) threw an orange ring into the bleed with instructions to come back with someone who could safely channel the orange light.