1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Don't be silly Maxx. This is a cutscene fight. He's gotta lose hard so that Malvolio can show how powerful he is and more importantly to short-circuit this Diplomancy attempt. Gotta have that big fight scene after all!

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

When the conscience of the League is out for blood, you know it's gotten serious.

Finerc, Vorian, Prince Charon and 6 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL wasn't exactly preparing for a fight when that happened, but now they came here expecting one, so he would most likely be better prepared.

He's also a whole lot more skilled and powerful now compared to how he was back then.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

This is Barry Allen, not Wallace West. Or William Batson.

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But....But....He's outnumbered and should be heavily outgunned!

I mean, him being the big dick boss, while OL's ring gets shit on all the time, is something I'd like to avoid. I'm trying to grumble less about how crap OL's ring is....and I think I'm failing but I'M TRYING.

Yes but, I wasn't talking about OL having to fight Flash. I was talking about Flash opening up a super speed can of fuck you on the Sheeda Queen and Malvolio.

Neither of which should have much, if any, experience against someone of his power.

I used OL in Russia of an example of just how deadly that level of super speed has been shown this far in this universe AND pointing out that Barry is the most powerful of all the speedsters.

moralrelativity and Agent Orange like this.
  6. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

When the Justice League goes bad (Justice Lords, Injustice, etc.) the safeguard that's failed is that Bruce Wayne, Barry Allen, or both, are dead.

Finerc, Vorian, Prince Charon and 5 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's also an extremely powerful ring slinger that has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and may be preparing for a fight, seeing as there are a bunch of foreigners in his home that have been fighting each other.

Even if he does lose when fighting them, saying that he's just a minor nuisance is just underestimating his abilities.

Hell he may be able to manipulate Hal's ring from afar like OL can do with orange rings, fight OL using his green light powers like he did before, and may be able to also shred their will like Paul shredded the desire of those Sheeda.

He's not a pushover.

Again, Malvolio may be capable of restraining him either with his constructs or just mentally dominating him.

Flash also probably doesn't have much experience fighting centuries old will elementals.

And now he just shouted his indignation, so Malvolio may be preparing to fight him.

Also Paul wants this thing to succeed, so he may restrain Flash himself.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In the JL cartoon, in which the Lords appeared in, the Flash was Wally West.

The identity of the Flash tends to switch a lot of the time in the comics.

Hell now there are two Wallace West's in the comics.

Wally West, the redheaded one, and Wallace West, his cousin who appeared in the n52 comics and the Flash TV show.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  9. Maxx Crowley

Says who? He's a prisoner, trapped in a void by another Green Lantern, who has never had any formal training.

What abilities? The abilities that at least two people standing right in front of him have? An Honor guard of the GLC with titanic willpower AND Agent Orange!

Why? Why would he be able to do that? He's not some fallen willpower god. He's a dude, who killed his dad, stole his ring and then was IMMEDIATELY imprisoned in a void that he can't get himself out of.

Why would he be more powerful than Hal? Because he's older? So what?! Hal's an active lantern who has had formal training by two of the greatest Green Lanterns of all.

I get that he stopped OL from looking in...but lets face it, magic does that shit all the time anyway.

And yet constructs pretty much suck every time OL uses them, hence why he defaults to "Gun". Also, to mentally dominate Hal, you've got to go will on will. Not an easy fight.

Dominating OL is another story entirely AND THEN you've got Flash moving faster than light, beating you into paste, the entire time you're doing that. To say nothing of Wonder Woman, the most wonderous of all women!

Malvolio is a guy with no formal training, who has never fought anyone, who has spent however long dominating people who have NO powers AND was imprisoned by a Green Lantern in the first place.

Hal was trained by Sinestro and Kilowog, while OL was trained by Guy Gardner and Alan Scott. Excuse me if I find Team WTR to have a far greater pedigree then guy who looks like a weirdly proportioned Alan.

What's he ever done to be this hyped up?

Which has never mattered until right this minute. OL had to speed up his mental process just to be able to kinda tell what a speedster was doing, and even then it was becoming a losing battle for OL.

Before Malvolio even has time to send a signal from his brain, to his ring, Barry is already on him, and has probably hit him close to a dozen times.

I just don't see why Malvolio, a power ring user, sudden deserves hype that NO other power ring user, including the main character, has received.

Finerc, Vorian, Caerwen and 3 others like this.
  10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

At this point, it seems personal. Wondering if Iris got reaped.

Finerc, Vorian, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When Hal fought him in the comics Malvolio dominated their fight.

Before OL and Guy went to Xor's planet Paul thought that if Malvolio was still around and causing trouble then Guy would need his help.

Guy is an Honor Guard Lantern and Host to Ion by the way, so that kinda says something about Malvolios power.

So Paul says that.

When Guy was talking with OL before they went to Xor's planet he mentioned that Malvolio could do things other Lanterns couldn't and the Guardians wanted to see if he could do those things.

So I'm guessing he has a lot of unique abilities that others don't know about and can't replicate.

He's also immortal, has a giant Lantern so may be like Larfleeze in some respects, who's a Corps on his own, and in the comics he apparently doesn't even need his ring, like Larfleeze doesn't need it, since he may have internalized his light.

For most, no, but Malvolio isn't most.

Beat Hal with a lot of ease in the comics and has been commented as being very powerful in this story by some very powerful people, Paul among them.

He also never technically lost in the comics, as it was apparently all according to his plan to make Hal his servant.

Okay, look, I never said that he can beat them, I just said that if they fight then he will most likely pose a challenge to defeat and won't just lose to them like he's nothing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  12. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The real question is....what has been driving Barry to this point. The Change in Costume to Black, the change in temperament. He's seen death before, as it's part of his day job and his super hero job. He's even seen mass death to a degree, though not anything like what the sheeda have done. But....this feels a bit more personal. While OL and team have been away, Flash has been fighting these things for a while.

Kid Flash didn't mention anyone in the Flash Family getting hurt or killed when OL called him up....but he did mention Barry getting wounded badly...

Vorian, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  13. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but I don't actually have any experience in ringslinging (unless you count competitive hula hoop) so this fight is all on Hal and his boxing glove constructs I'm afraid :/

Because the Plot says so Malvolio is the Final Boss of this level you see. His level auto-adjusts to meaningfully challenge Team Protagonists. If he was fighting muggle toddlers he'd be significantly weaker.

He's Barry from the Future (naturally he never even heard of OL) obviously. The one where the League was caught with their pants down by the Sheeda. He replaced the Present Barry just after his legs got healed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Vorian and Caerwen like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Flash may have seen death before, but probably not the type of things the Sheeda do.

It's like comparing an average murder scene to something from a concentration camp.

Both are horrible, but one is the nightmare to end all nightmares.

The other time he witnessed mass death was most likely the Roanoke fiasco.

That lasted a few hours, but this has been going on for weeks, so he's had a longer time to absorb what the Sheeda are doing.

I don't think he hates them because they hurt him, but rather because of all the other things they've done.

A person can hate someone intensely for their actions, even if they haven't hurt him.

Them just being allowed to get away without being punished would piss a lot of people off.

Paul has a weird mindset, Diana is a diplomat and Hal may have also been trained in some diplomacy as part of his training, so they may be able to hold their displeasure for this, but Barry can't.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Blue Future Flash story from the comics?
    That mostly slotted into where they grabbed Bart from in young justice iirc correctly.

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

(Vaguely surprised this never got a response.) Mostly yes. There's just enough wiggle room to suggest that sufficiently powerful Glow-users could potentially transcend those limitations, but there has been concrete WoZ -- though it's kind of hard to look up because that would have been back on Spacebattles.

The required connection to the ring is why OL learned how to make filaments, and why it was significant that assimilated construct-lanterns didn't have a tether.

The color thing is fairly easily circumvented because you can make construct hologram projectors. THAT construct is still going to glow in the ring's color, but the image it projects isn't thus restricted because the constructs are using "standard" physics to generate it.

It isn't immediately obvious that this is Diana speaking, as the only concrete attribution is in the previous update.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Ah, no. Justice Lords was WALLACE WEST, and Barry Allen was fine in Injustice.

18. Maxx Crowley

Believe in the me that believes in you! You are a cat in a gas mask! You are someone's fetish!

I don't have to like it though.

19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Flash can't move FTL in WTR. Very few people can actually, and most of the ones that can aren't doing through pure speed like comic characters, they can just imitate some form of FTL drive, with the closest to a "pure speed" FTL we've seen being from two very powerful psionics that could act as an Alcubierre Drive by bending space.

Fellow, Gilhelmi and Darko like this.
  20. Maxx Crowley

Pretty sure he can, unless Zoat contradicts me. Pretty sure he already has. Also that OL brought it up when talking about how Flash could move so fast that he didnt' need to be hitting people.

Plus OL and all the Other Lanterns can as well. Dunno if Superman can, but he should be able to. Adom and Billy are also insanely quick, not sure if quite FTL speeds.

But even if so, then fine, Flash moves faster than the speed bullshit before Malvolio does a whatever.

21. Mr Zoat

I don't remember exactly what limit I gave the Flash. I think it was lightspeed, but I wouldn't swear to it.

22. Maxx Crowley

Well then I will bear that responsibility. I will go where Zoat cannot remember if he's gone before.

Flash has FTL. It's canon now. Put it in the FAQ for no one to read. (I checked to see if it said. All there was, was the speedforce quote)

23. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The limit was lightspeed, yes. Speedsters also couldn't hit at F=m/a when they got going, but all of that was mostly because no one actually knows how to manipulate The Speed Force in-story just yet.

People that don't get their super-speed from The Speed Force do hit with F=m/a though, but most (all?) of them can't reach lightspeed.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  24. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I do love that there are diplomatic options. It reminds be of Fallout: New Vegas in many ways.

You can go in all guns blazing, or you can stand back and observe. Complete a few side quests to make the final battle easier, build a high level character that can use science to hack computers/pick locks, all sorts of skill checks.

Too often diplomacy is ignored for high impact action, but I like the more balanced approach. Like the Viking epics; 1 part action, 2 parts debating in court whether or not the action was justified and who was in the right. (Law and Order is a good modern example.)

25. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I am betting that Earth-16 Flash 'can' do all the things that other counter parts can do. He just hasn't had the "story justification" to do so.

He can use the Speedforce to travel in time, he just does not realize it yet.
    He can go FTL, but he hasn't pushed himself beyond that threshold yet.
    He can jump the dimensional barrier, but doesn't know that exists.

These things are just outside his comprehension at the moment, all it might take is One Bad Day........

Eris Be Praised.

Vorian likes this.
  26. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

As the ancient scrolls foretold in ages long past...

"No one reads the FAQ."

Gilhelmi, Finerc, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  27. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Does anyone remember a limit discussed in universe for Flash? Renegade Kid Flash's post-NG Ascension raised his speed to about 0.8c... or something similar with an explanation that the NG process "fixed" the imperfections of the magicks affecting the person similar to how the process removed Aqualad's gills. So Flash should have the same limit as Kid Flash (around 0.8c), or Kid Flash could have gotten faster since the measurements were taken... I don't remember top speeds being relevant at any point...

Though I don't remember clearly, I think Renegade said the treadmill could measure up to 1.5c, so FTL speeds may be possible?

28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

29. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

30. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

26th June 2012
    17:00 GMT -5

And then he's not standing there and I start accelerating my perception and cognitive speed at once, knowing even as I do it that it won't be enough.

I just about manage to see a black blur, a throwing motion that he started incorporating into his repertoire after my performance review sending projectiles screaming towards the Sheeda at relativistic speeds. Looks like he's learned from the few Sheeda who adapted to his speed; rather than just throw directly at them, he's throwing at everywhere they could conceivably dodge to within the fraction of a second they'd have available.

Slightly more clearly, I see wards of protection and warning light up around the Sheeda, the slight shimmer of a displacement ward trying to find somewhere safe to deposit them within the time available and failing, and the slight widening of the queen's eyes as they make her aware of this.

And then the whole thing turns green.

"Perfidy!"

The queen gets smeared across-. No, not the queen. One of the handmaidens swapped places with her, and the best I can say about Lord Malvolio's effort to shield her is that it protected the floor behind her at the cost of redirecting the entire force of a relativistic projectile into her body.

An ironic death, considering what the Sheeda have been doing to the humans they caught.

I can see projectiles stop in the air, motion arrested by Lord Malvolio's command of the green light. Is he strong enough to force-block that many projectiles..? Since this is clearly going to shit anyway, I reach out with my own orange light senses, and-. No, the normal physical laws aren't operating around the bullets. Malvolio's changed the laws of motion in order to stop the projectiles. That's interest-.

A shadow in the green light and Malvolio's head is knocked to the left and then to the right, green light dimming, and then-.

Ah!

Normal speed, and then the corpses of the Sheeda fall or evaporate, depending on what Mr. Allen did to them. The man himself stands just in front of Lord Malvolio, breathing hard as the super Lantern comes to his feet.

Mr. Allen flicks the Sheeda-blood off his hands once again.

"And I'm not even a little bit sorry."

Jordan looks shocked. "Barry, what the hell?!"

"You have chosen your own death."

A fat beam of green light blasts from his ring, hitting Mr. Allen in the-.

It was going to hit him in the chest, the green light shining throughout the room appearing to somehow restrict his movements. But Mr. Allen gets his arms up, blurring them, and somehow… What looks like it should be a blast powerful enough to erase him instead just shoves him backwards into the rear wall. Squire Wallace dives for cover as Diana draws her sword and shield and charges Lord Malvolio-

And isn't it nice that she instinctively supports her team mate in this situation?

-while Jordan takes a moment to get his head in the game. I… Could help, and I'm certainly interested in how my abilities stack up against his, but… Does it matter? With the Queen and the rest of their leaders dead, the mission is over. The people in this system don't exactly appear to be languishing under the heel of a tyrant. Or at least, not a capricious one. With our target eliminated, our only obligation is to ourselves. Therefore, our aim should be to get ourselves out, not beat up Lord Malvolio.

I try to move, but whatever Malvolio's doing to slow down Mr. Allen so he can hit him is also holding me in place. My environmental shield expands as I focus on my desires for freedom and movement and-.

Fuck!

Ugh. I'm… Outside of the station, my environmental shield glitching and fading. Lord Malvolio just shot me through the walls, and while that wasn't anything like enough to harm me inside of my defences, that… Overwhelmed my control.

"Orange Lantern to League. I'm going to try-."

There's an explosion, green beams blasting through the station in multiple directions! We walked past the people-!

I fly at speed towards the closest breach. No real need to slap a barrier over it; the station still has gravity and the pressure difference is only one atmosphere. People aren't going to get sucked out, but they do-.

The ones who survived the initial careless blast need to be evacuated. I grab everyone I can see, pull them towards me and transmute spacesuits around them and then throw them outside. Five, ten, fifteen… Internal bulkheads have engaged and the walls are blocking my ability to scan, and-.

Block!

I'm knocked back, but most of the force gets deflected around my construct shield. I can't see Malvolio, so I assume he just aimed at a light? I check-.

The blasts deflected into the walls behind me, widening the hole and-. And one of the people I rescued was hit. The suit was torn apart, and… Well, he's.. dead. The others must have calculated that they could save more people by stopping Malvolio than by directly making rescues.

Um.

I transmute a new bulkhead against the innermost breach in the walls, then grab the survivors and head out into space. It looks like the whole station is weakly glowing, but hopefully if I get far enough away-. Test transition? Yes.

A blink and I'm down on the surface, dropping off the evacuees and reclaiming their suits. Another blink and I'm up close to the station again. Next breach-.

If I knew where everyone was, that would make it a lot easier to get them to safety. I split my focus, one set of orange strands putting the station's crew into the suits while another forms a crumbler construct and tests-. Yes, the station's hull is vulnerable to crumblers. Right. Pull back, transition this group to the surface and reclaim the suits, then go back up.

I try putting one foot outside of the material but while it works, the station itself is obscured from my vision.

Hard way, then. I throw out tendrils, poking small holes in the material of the station, seeking to pierce as many sections as possible. Probe constructs follow, searching for-.

I lose constructs in a section of the station as Malvolio and Jordan rampage through, Diana hanging off Malvolio's right arm by her lasso.

Not a good match. Nothing about Malvolio suggests that he's inclined to lie.

I keep going, using constructs to stick suits on civilians as I find them. Some are heading towards escape pods, but they haven't made it very far. Misplaced faith in their ruler-? No, it's only been nineteen seconds. Fair enough, then.

There are a cluster gathered in… A dining area? I use crumbler constructs to smash my way in, grabbing them and flying back out-

"Paul? Where'd you go?"

"Evacuating-"

-to the blocking limit, transition down, transition up.

"-the civilians. Do you need me?"

"No, good thinking. We're good h-."

Another blast of green goes through the hull, and this time it's heading towards the planet.

Okay, I can-.

Was that Jordan?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021