1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I hope everything go well and he returns to home.

Phorbeus and Xicree like this.
  2. anhrefn

anhrefn Thou Shalt Enjoy NTR Gone for Good

I must say, out of all the symptoms, the loss of smell and taste are the worst. I wouldn't even mind to die if that meant not losing both of my senses damn

I want my senses back danm danm fuck this virus

Xicree and bryanfran36 like this.
  3. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

On the plus side, losing them is apparently a good sign for your long-term prospects... and you’ll probably get them back in a week or two.

Edit: To clarify:
    [​IMG]

Imabot, Xicree, Rakdos92 and 2 others like this.
  4. Aleh

I spent about three hours in the local ER today for reasons that are presumably not COVID-related (and which have significantly reduced my exercise capacity, so there's that). While I can't discuss several aspects of what happened here due to relevance and Rule 8, I should probably note that the nurses and techs described the entire affair as a nightmare and wished that it would just go away, repeatedly took very significant precautions (including isolating the COVID or possibly-COVID patients away from the section I was in, which was nearly empty), and had... very strong... opinions of the sort that runs into Rule 8 which they were utterly unafraid to discuss.

5. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

They do a stressful, demanding job in normal times.

The sorts of things they're facing now are ... undeserved, to put it mildly.

6. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

If this keeps up for long, no one's going to want to apply for medical/nurse jobs anymore.

zup likes this.
  7. zup

zup Experienced.

Perpetually overworked nurses in Finland were quitting before Covid. I doubt it improved the desirability of the occupation.

Xicree, OverMaster and bryanfran36 like this.
  8. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

My country(Brazil) already had a lack of people through the entire medical profession which was increasing over the years, then current government took many actions to make that worse and now COVID.

I am really concerned about the following decades as more and more people retire while less and less replace them.

9. evildice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile in Mexico:

[​IMG]

10. zup

zup Experienced.

The first is easy. 11 projects. 1 project of the asshole who used glitter. 9 projects of the idiots who did not strangle him before he could open the glitter. 1 project of the poor janitor who has to clean up the mess.

Xicree, TanaNari, Imabot and 3 others like this.
  11. zup

zup Experienced.

After ~5 weeks of daily case numbers holding fairly steady, we have started catching up with the rest of the world in pandemic escalation here in Finland. Stupid us for getting into these fads.

Hospitalizations are also climbing, and I expect ICU use to follow with a small delay.

12. evildice

Winter is coming.

13. Aleh

As a bit of a note, COVID denialism is... persistent... in the sense that it's damn near impossible for reality to intercede and correct it, especially in severe cases.

I've been getting... stories... from a friend who's a nurse in Orlando of the problems she's been having from COVID denialists... in the ICU. Yes, people hospitalized with COVID, in the ICU, who refuse to believe that COVID is real.

These stories are hardly unique, but they're depressing as Hell.

Edit: My initial post described her as an ICU nurse. I corrected it a few seconds after posting as it's inaccurate -- she's not an ICU nurse per se, rather just a nurse who's been forced to help out in the ICU due to, well, COVID-related loads on the hospital.

Dakkaface, Xicree, Imabot and 6 others like this.
  14. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Granted, when you already are in the ICU you kinda stop caring about WHAT put you there and you just want to concentrate on HOW you are getting out.

Which, since covid 19 has no known cure yet, is something that doesn't help people realizing they have it when they already caught it. One'd probably prefer believing it's something else with a known solution other than just 'cross your fingers and hope you get better rather than dying'. A purely emotional answer born from distress?

15. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

It seems like these people are doing just the opposite.

16. evildice

There are at least 2 plagues going on right now. COVID, of course, but also a plague of misinformation -- which isn't limited to misinformation about COVID, but that particular flavor of misinformation is the one that's killing people fastest right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Dnile

Dnile Getting out there.

Well, down here in Melbourne we're at our twenty fourth consecutive day of no new cases of coronavirus and no deaths. Right now we have a grand total of one confirmed case, one! And as of today we're no longer required to wear a mask if outside! Of course, then I end up looking at how thing are in the rest of the world and think, thank fuck I live here.

18. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

Since I'm in a rural area where there are more elderly than the youngsters, also close to public cemetery, I end up seeing funeral of neighbors every biweekly. Kind of sad when you keep on seeing houses emptied out one after another, and familiar faces no longer appearing at the front yard of their houses in the morning.

19. Seth Vatamaris

Seth Vatamaris Hentai Will Save the World

Well as of recently though the video is much older, this YouTuber who a friend introduced me to has gone bonkers, and I used to watch infrequently but stopped because my essential job has mandatory overtime for the last few months to keep us out of the red.

Anyways to keep Rule 8 to a minimum he does technology and politics, I was mostly there for the former though he does make a few good points for the latter, at the time. However I’ve come to understand that people like him eventually make that one massive shocker where you get to see who they really are, and it’s always ugly in my experience. Ironically I think he once said something about not abandoning someone just because they said one thing you didn’t like, good advice but it doesn’t apply here.

So with that in mind he became what he hated the most, a journalist, and has spent several months denying the virus to millions of viewers and promoting quack doctors spewing debunked theories getting god knows how many people killed. He claimed that surgical masks are muzzles to suppress free speech. And people still listen to him.

Doesn’t stop there he needed to go in deep as he associates himself with white supremacists, not the types of people who get slandered as one I mean ones who actually self identify, at least one is in jail for assaulting people who wore masks.

Sorry if It’s more of a rant but I’m angry for even knowing about him.

20. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

• Rule 8 warning. Not only you should know better, but those guys absolutely have nothing to do with this thread. You just wanted to bash them.
    Happens to the best of us man. I feel ya. Pewdiepie is alt-right himself too. Alongside markiplier. And a whole host of other secretly nasty youtube celebrities.

Edit: I confess I decided to bash them like an asshole simply because I found out recently about their political leanings. I am genuinely sorry for once again trying to bring in unconnected political nonsense into a place that has no space for that. I am not asking for forgiveness but I am sorry.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  21. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

22. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

Darth Vader Voice: NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!1!1!

Dakkaface and me-meboi like this.
  23. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Whelp, got my taste of the coronavirus. Probably. I caught some bug off this old lady who I help with things she can't anymore, and she got tested positive... so, gotta get my testing for confirmation, but yeah. Seems pretty much a certainty at this point.

Have to admit, its was, eh, I'd say the second, maybe third, roughest flu I've ever been through, definitely the worst in my adult life. Took me about four and a half days to recover... which is actually quite a long time for me. I'm accustomed to getting over basically everything overnight.

Four days of constant headache, light muscle fatigue, some brief light fevers, and... actually getting a good night's sleep for once. That's right, coronavirus cured my insomnia. I'm assuming temporarily, but damn it'd be cool if it was permanent. But it seems like it's all behind me, and now all I've got left is a bit of a sore throat to recover from.

So, for my personal enjoyment, I rate it a solid "I've been through worse" out of "This is what I get for helping people."

Still nothing compared to that time I got strep throat. That shit was brutal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  24. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Glad you recovered safely.

25. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

If you can you still might want to get a check up at some point. There have been some frightening after effects noted and it's better to be safe.

26. Aleh

First off, it's not a flu. I keep having to say that for some reason.

Secondly, if you were only sick for four days, there's a chance you're still sick and/or contagious. Things tend to come to a head about seven days after symptoms start; if you don't suddenly get worse then, well, you're probably actually better.

27. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

I mean, technically it IS a flu of sorts. One on gorilla steroids, cybernetic implants and magical armor, granted.

I've seen it compared to AIDS, which is a much worse benchmark.

me-meboi and lunardraco like this.
  28. Dnile

Dnile Getting out there.

To echo Aleh, no it's not a flu! Influenza is a completely different virus to COVID-19, they have different phylogeny and work significantly dissimilarly. The major factor between the two is that they are both spread by droplet transmission and have similar disease presentation. That's mostly it. If you want more in depth and accurate information, go check the official sources, the WHO, CDC, or whoever is relevant for your locale. In fact, here:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9-similarities-and-differences-with-influenza

29. evildice

Boomers, man.

[​IMG]

30. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Oh, I'm aware. But I'm pretty confident at this point that I'm in the 99.x% that got through it just fine.

Still gotta admit, hit harder than any bug I've had in a loooong time.

Yes, I'm aware it's not influenza. That's why I called it a 'flu'. There is a difference.

I note that you're not getting mad at me for calling it a 'bug' when, in fact, it's clearly not any form of insect.