1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I think that’s Alan talking, not Paul.

2. jmartinez8089

jmartinez8089 Getting out there.

Alan says the sentence in between the two I quoted.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Alan says this.

Jay says this.

Alan says this.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Now, I doubt Jay is talking about the ship, unless he's been hiding a secret love of science fiction and futurism,...

:rolleyes: Ah, OL. Always focusing on what's in front of you, to the detriment of all else... It's practically the source of all your current problems, really.

Like a duck or swan. Looks graceful, elegant and serene on the surface, but when you look below, it's frantic motion and desperate activity...

:rolleyes: Making a not-so-subtle point, OL. Both men can get your drift without over-extending the metaphor...

Time for an object lesson in the problems everyone expects him to be dealing with. But because OL is OL, he's letting people blunder their way through their own shit...

That bad, eh? Especially with Brazil one of the hardest hit nations by the Sheeda? Because the favela slums would be prime targets, at least until they ran into super-powered tribesfolk...

:D Badly? But seriously, I expect the tribes have a much stronger position now that the rich people's money has turned out to be worthless.

And yet corporate entities are still bitching about having a hard time? Some things never change.

Only natural. But that's going to have knock-on effects, no matter what Ploûtus can do to mitigate it.

Economies don't operate in a vacuum. International trade is dependent on lots of things being bought and paid for, and after an alien invasion, I doubt there's much concern about keeping the lifeblood of trade flowing...

So the world is going to be in financial dire straits for a couple of years until things recover. And recover they will, as countries adapt and shift economic gears. Especially with a God of Money working behind the scenes. I bet Greece's economy will be a lot stronger in the years to come.

But, again, international trade. There are still things America gets from outside. Oil, for one, unless someone pushes Cosmic reactors (hint, hint, OL!) I suspect it'll start to be less of a powerhouse as the breadbaskets and factories of Russia and China start seeing more profits...

Heh. Benefit of these two being as old as they are: They remember the last big global economic downturn. You might remember it, too: The Great Depression...

Of course the man who worked in radio broadcasting would be interested in that.

I'm guessing the teleporters are used for long-range or emergency drop operations. And the scenic route is always more fun, if less efficient. But sometimes, you need to relax.

Ooh, I wonder if he plans to go looking for Kal-El. I bet the latter could use something like this to pick his spirits up a little.

Divergent as it is, Daxam is still a Kryptonian colony. Let's just hope Sodam Yat is smart enough to check for environmental issues he might have before he learns of his people's lead allergies (assuming OL didn't give him that info earlier.)

And they're just about the right age... Wonder if there's been any fraternisation going on amongst the Corps.

Hey, who'd go back to the old Mk. 1 eyeball when you've had bionics? After all, can regular eyes see in the dark? See through walls? Okay, besides kryptonian eyes, that is. Seriously, there's a reason cybernetic eyes are a popular first step in cyberpunk games' upgrade paths...

Ah, OL, ever the teacher. Reminding them of a little habit they've probably gotten out of around so many familiar faces.

Discreetly, please! Why make it obvious? To be honest, they should have made an initial scan well outside visual range.

Still, it is reasonably safe, if you ignore the super-science, super-powered being and... Okay, maybe it's a good idea for off-worlders to be on guard. Especially after, again, an alien invasion.

Not quite a dope-slap, but Alan's polite like that...

And at this point, they should have discreetly accessed their ring's databases for information on both Alan and his ring. OL's going to have to work to get them to be properly paranoid. :p

With one notable difference: Their bodies react poorly to Lead, rather than exotic isotopes of their ancestral birthworld. Because why have a bunch of pseudo-kryptonians running around without balancing them via weak-sauce weaknesses and Xenophobia? Are we sure Boss Smiley's only at work on Earth?

Back on topic. Ah, OL. No time for social niceties when work calls, eh?

At least he's sensible enough to realise that the others might have different ideas on priorities...

Well, then. It appears we have to wait until tomorrow to find out what Dox wants. Or the day after, depending on how sidetracked OL gets. Still, good to have more data on Earth's situation right now. And it looks a little tense, from the sound of it.

Double space here. Maybe because of the Exclamation Point, but just checking.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, that was Alan talking to Jay.

Wheenesss, Cuchulin and PJCG like this.
  6. PJCG

PJCG Getting sticky.

Thanks, just realised that. I've deleted my post.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL did release some Bleed tech, and the Cosmic Convertor was released.

Kal would know most about Krypton, and there's Jor-El.

He does have a ring, so he should be fine.

I doubt the OLC discourages that, so long as it doesn't interfere in their job.

Smiley is more of a social engineer than a genetic one.

Ardy, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 3 others like this.
  8. jmartinez8089

jmartinez8089 Getting out there.

Yeah I realized that once I reread the chapter. Since Alan didn't say anything and wasn't even mentioned until the part I quoted and since Jay wasn't introduced to the others at the end I thought OL was only with one person the whole time.

Sojiko and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes.
    Oh, no no. If I deleted every post where I made a mistake there wouldn't be any story here. In situations like that I'd suggest just putting 'Edit: it was actually X' at the bottom, so future historians know what we were talking about.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So the Sheeda shattered the South American markets and the Accala keep them from recovering?

I'm guessing that will lead to a lot more people wanting to join them once hunger sets in? What's the Accala's stance on newcomers?

11. Mr Zoat

It's more that the Accala don't care. They don't really use it. If someone wanted to rebuild Rio they wouldn't stop them.
    People can join the tribe, but they don't need to in order to live in formerly Brazilian territory.

12. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I find it hilarious that Daxamites are vulnerable to the very thing 99% of all the bullets on Earth are made of.
    It's like being a vampire in Italy. Every house has a crucifix and smells like garlic.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How is Fire faring in whatever Brazil is called now?

14. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Who is that again?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's Isis, wife of Teth Adom.

16. Mr Zoat

In this story, much like kryptonite radiation hurts kryptonians but kryptonite is just a radioactive crystal, a lead bullet won't pierce a Daxamite's skin.
    She's crime fighting in Rio.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Kryptonite bullets can't pierce kryptonian skin in your story?

Would a Daxamite be weaken in the presence of lead, even if it can't pierce their skin?

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

It can, just not any easier than an equivalent crystal in the presence of an equivalent amount of kryptonite radiation.
    Just sitting there on the other side of the room? No. Swallowing a fleck of lead based paint would harm them a lot, however.

19. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Oh yeah, nano-fab started working with magic cooling? Wasn't there still issues with what manufacture it was suitable for, plus it'll probably take a couple of decades to propagate.

I mean, electric cars have been decent for about 5 years now, but even in a city, adoption is probably around 1%,+-0.99%. Of course cars are expensive, so I'd expect adopting to explode once you can get a good used EV at around 3000€ or less.

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

According to some wikipedias lacking citations for me to double check, supposedly the Eradicator altered them so that the Daxamites would be vulnerable to lead, one of the results of the programming it got from Kal-El's crazy xenophobic ancestor.

Ardy, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 1 other person like this.
  21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I'm betting those three races you have guide books to have been bothering Doc Dox.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Romantic advice. Georgia is getting serious and his big brain is drawing blanks on what to do about it. Choice paralysis.

What? Why else would he need a messenger for? He always just rings (heh) OL when he needs something but in this case he knows Sivannas have the tech to intercept ring calls ;)

Prince Charon, Ardy, Gilhelmi and 4 others like this.
  23. Alexcorvin

Alexcorvin Goodbye

ROFLMAO Old man BURN!

Gilhelmi, w34v3r and SpiritualSlacker like this.
  24. DaftTechno

DaftTechno Standard Gamer Metalhead

Is there such a thing in comics as Depleted Kryptonite? Kryptonite that has gone through significant radioactive decay and is now close to inert?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  25. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

So Large Portions of the world are wrecked, the global Economy is about to collapse
    and if the tech can get out in time America can stand alone without needing anyone else.

Well Depending on who else is still able to stand Paul's got a new series of speed bumps towards his uplift humanity plan.

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and Handlewithcare like this.
  26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh man, I forgot OL poached the "Chosen one" green Lantern in Sodom Yat.

Now I'm getting Superboy-Prime flashbacks.

So wait, am I understanding that its being claimed that the Super strong tribe down is Brazil is wrecking the ENTIRE world's banking system? I'm a bit confused on that.

Also, if that were true, I'd expect them to start taking heavy artillery fire and carpet bombing. I can't see a single country in the world allowing such a thing. The entire world? I'm guess the old men in charge of countries would decide real quick on what they were going to do in that meeting.

27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Last time I remember Roquette and her nano-forge being mentioned was Paragon suggesting cooling runes to her (I'm actually a bit surprised Renegade doesn't seem to have kept in touch with her, especially because she was an attractive intelligent woman and he was single when they met- though I guess that was also the incident he met Jade). Has she come up at all since then? I don't think she's working for Kord or anything, though maybe I missed it.

In terms of the global economy, Ploutos is still around; all of this might encourage him to be more public, especially since the biases against magic are fading somewhat due to practical necessity. If he felt inclined to cooperate with Thana, there could be a Hellenist revival that could empower him (or allow his power to influence reality more, depending on the arcane/theological mechanisms of belief in this setting).
    I'd be worried about how Lex (and by extension the Light) would take advantage of the situation. Paragon might be hands-off but the League shouldn't be.
    Actually, is Circe a full-fledged member of the Light? What did they offer her to come on-board, or just cooperate with them in general if she isn't?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  28. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

On the upside, supervillains like Lex and Alva who run their own companies are going to be far to busy over the next few years to cause all that much trouble. Them being already rich is no defense against their companies imploding from the economic shockwaves if they aren't careful.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Circe may just be working with Truggs in this.

As to what she gets, well resources that would allow her to access magic on a larger scale, and seeing as the Light wants to destroy the League she may be able to get a chance at killing Diana.

Economic practicalities haven't stopped Lex from engaging in stupid villany before, so they may not stop him now.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think you're missing some orange quotation marks here.