1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, Alan and Jay were the only ones talking there.

Doccer likes this.
  2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... Renegade Brazil is the same mess or is worse?

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

it's probably much, much better.

Renegade managed to get rid of the Sheeda fairly early on, so they may not have had the chance to attack Brazil,and the Accala wouldn't have the plant control magic they have.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Gilhelmi like this.
  4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... since Renegade is the Neutral ending, is Paragon the bad ending?

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know.

I remember Zoat once said his story is going to end with Paragon sighing and walking away from the League.

Though he may not go with this.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Gilhelmi like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually, is Euanthe dead in the Renegade timeline or still stuck in underground London in perpetual torment as a Hell-portal?

I'm more optimistic about the potential applications of large-scale plant magic as an alternative to conventional urbanization and technology; innovation isn't a phenomenon exclusive to people who live in settled-agricultural and urban societies, and I don't think the tribe would be hostile to outsiders as long as they maintain autonomy and agency over the land/territory.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I am surprised he has not already.

Unlike Renegade he literally has too many jobs.

And this version of the JLA.... it has problems he can't solve.

Sure Renegade expend like hundreds of years in a bad future but he got a backup of his memories before that in his rings, has his family and has the ponies to help

It utterly fucked up Artemis mind and personality but she is getting help.

Meanwhile Oh El doesn't expend time with his girlfriend and his way of thinking stopped being human like ages ago.

And for what? The Sheeda arc showed that all that extra power and connections Oh El has compared to Renegade didn't help that much.

Heck he is indirectly responsible for fucking up Brazil.

Sure he got a lot of people a better afterlife but people don't see that.

And Renegade is doing better in his plan to uplifting humanity that Oh El is going.

Humanity on Renegade has spaceships that are faster than light or close to it and is not just a Superhero having it.

I guess Hope Paul is the one getting the Good ending then?

Renegade dealt with everything Demonic in the UK he could, so she is either dead or was rescued by the Rage guy.

Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  8. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what are the reasons mc is not stepping in and solving these problems? is it politics.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Queen Hyanthis's society is a good example of large scale plant magic.

Brazil would have been fucked whether he showed up or not.

The Accala have been making super strong members for decades and the Sheeda would have come either way.

At least now the Accala were able to repel the Sheeda with plant magic, saving a lot of people, and are now repairing the rain forest.

I think I remember something about a dryad being mentioned in the renegade side during the whole London thing, but I'm not completely sure.

Paul probably doesn't know how to solve the whole economy thing.

Yeah he's smart, but he probably has little to no knowledge on how to manage an economy.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Russia, Japan, Canada, and South Korea are probably around the same state as America.

Putting that aside however, there is a lot the US superhero population could do to short circuit America's manufacturing woes.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

It would be somewhat interesting to see the Paragon's benevolent "I don't want you to be dependant on me" approach blow up in his face and require loads of his time to fix in comparison to Renegade's heavy handed hands on approach.

Simply because that's rarely how it works. Like, every time Superman or Thor or whatever take a hands on approach and change the world. Somehow they turn evil and everything goes to hell, and another hero has to beat them down while screaming about "Freedom".

Which, to me, is just the author jacking off in our faces about the status quo.

Still, I can't help but think that OL's done a lot of that at this point. Setting things up, but trying to get other people to pick up from there, and suddenly there are undesirable outcomes. Like, he's so hands off with everything at times. I know it's because he says that he doesn't really know how to do the things that he's trying to see get done.

It's like...somehow else runs his Lantern corps while he goes off to play with his toys. Suddenly Magna Khan shows up and is useless/annoying. His space fleet shows up too late.

I mean, when you get down to it, the Guardians are hands off as well....and look at how much shit OL gives them.

I mean, yes obviously OL can't run the OLC, because then Zoat would have to devote all his writing to OL doing that. Which isn't the most compelling read.

This isn't a complaint mind you. Just an observation about how OL used to be a bit more hands on with his team, but now it seems like all the little nudges he tried to give the world just....did nothing really.

Part of me thinks this is all to show that you really DO have to take the bull by the horns. That he'll really have to both push the JL to get more involved, and have to get involved himself.

Which would be the breaking point between him and Batman that was mentioned...years back I think. Despite what a fascist control freak Batman tends to be at times, he's also the first one to throw a shit fit about things he doesn't like.

Of course, comics ALWAYS have to do that so they can pound home the status quo being the necessary good. Which it kinda IS for the stories they want to write, but doesn't make sense when you really think about it.

TL;DR I don't know what the hell is going on anymore and I want to read more.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Two words: Boss Smiley

I don't know how, but OL needs to (a) realise / remember that's the problem and (b) solve it.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Pre-crisis, kryptonite decays into....iron.

Post crisis I don't recall it ever coming up.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Gilhelmi like this.
  14. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

That name keeps coming up. Frustrating, because I know nothing about the character, therefore I don't know how seriously to take him.

Like, after the Silver city stuff...OL did seem to change a bit. But is that an actual thing? Or just something I think is a thing?

Also....Grayven does not seem to be having that problem, and he's been more aggressive then OL.

15. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

it’s not really the price of EVs that are the problem, it’s that there’s not enough infrastructure to support them. Apartment buildings don’t have chargers for EVs in them, so the vast number of urban and suburban people who live in apartments in the US at least can’t charge them. It’s difficult to retrofit a house for EV charging (at least the most efficient kind). Plus there’s still the whole “road trip” problem. Yes, it’s not actually as bad as it is made out to be, since most people don’t take those kinds of road trips, but it’s the same sort of aspirational thinking that keeps people from support taxes on the rich.

Cuchulin, Senevri and Gilhelmi like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There really isn't much to know. That iteration of the character showed up in one story in Sandman, as the "Prince of the World," a Satanic figure who tried to tempt the Messianic Prez Richards, so apparently doing double duty as a representation of the corruption of politics that would rather government be about the "benefit of knaves at the expense of fools" than a government for the people, by the people, and of the people.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Well, Artemis is American and so would not use that wording. Probably. Americans use "coin toss" and "coin flip" pretty interchangeably but I don't think I've ever in my life heard someone say "toss(-ing) a coin". Even "(before/after) the coin was tossed" is pretty rare; toss is mostly restricted to the noun form. (I'd speculate that "was tossed" is allowed because it comes after "coin" and so sounds close enough to the noun version.)

Also, miming flipping a coin would not at all convey the thing Grayven is trying to convey, IMO, though I don't think that would be obvious to him so that part's not necessarily a problem.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

In his only appearance so far, Boss Smiley does seem to be a very subtle, man-behind-the-man kind of operator; it's probably the only way he can even function. I can't remember how much of his influence is confirmed in-story or by Word of Zoat; I think readers just find him an excellent Watsonian reason behind the weirdness and technological/social stagnation of the world and so attribute more things to him than he's actually behind (that's how I feel, at least). I agree that Renegade should be facing more opposition if Smiley has any meaningful power (manipulating the Greek gods to actively challenge him, for example, after all his insults- though that kind of goes for Paragon too).

The thing is Renegade has an end-goal that's easier to conceptualize; improve the Earth and one day challenge Darkseid. Paragon's goals aren't more nebulous, exactly, but he works on so many things that it's hard to really gauge his progress- the conflict with the Reach has mostly been in the background, though I'm looking forward to that changing.
    It's just that with the looming specter of the Light still active and malevolent on Paragon-Earth, things feel unfinished. Every downfall of a member of the Light so far has in some way involved Paragon's actions and initiative, and while I'm sure the League is occupied with day-to-day crises, they should really be planning something to deal with the people behind Roanoake and a Titan incursion (the latter of which was also indirectly resolved only due to Paragon), people who might possibly still be planning to summon the King of Tears (which they should at least be potentially concerned about, given Johny Sorrow's involvement) and we as readers need to see that actually happening onscreen. I don't remember anyone discussing Boss Smiley after the Silver City episode, but if they did, clearly nothing has come of it so far.

Edit:
    Are there any plans for Renegade to actually encounter the Reach? I envision it as a fun vacation for him and his family, a lengthier version of his trip to Wombworld.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and Ngamer11 like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The renegade did make a deal with Hinon to help them fight the Reach, but whether he gets involved or just sends his Lanterns is unknown.

It may also be more difficult than Wombworld, since the Reach are probably a bit more advanced and occupy at least hundreds of worlds, possibly thousands.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I don't know about the character either. But I don't know about most of the source material. I got bored about half way through Young Justice season one. Zoat's take is more interesting and engaging.
    I don't think we know if it's an actual thing. But I'm with you thinking that it's a thing, with like 75% confidence. It's incidents like OL recently forgetting when he last saw someone and then NOT BEING CONCERNED ABOUT FORGETTING, that make me think somethings up.
    Good point. Maybe new godhood makes him immune to Boss Smiley.

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and Ardy like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or Smiley is scared to go anywhere near him because of his godhood, or because he somehow knows about Darkseid and has no interest in trying to involve himself with someone from his family.

Vorian, Gilhelmi, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  22. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

I realize this is from a few story posts back, but since some discussion of this still seems be here I'll add that I had no problem understanding the "tossing the coin" comment (as an American). Though, rather than an action miming flipping a coin to decide whether or not to "sabotage" the equipment, I had interpreted it as tossing/flipping a coin in an overly dramatic or stylized fashion, akin to a movie display of gangsters stepping out of the shadows.. which also seems in character for the display.

Vorian likes this.
  23. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Artemis isn't American anymore, She spent over a century with Grayven. Shes a Sheeda culturally with a merging of her and Grayvens idioms. I do agree if she hadn't, it would be odd wording.

you toss a coin in quarters, or if someone is passing you one across the room for scratchers. but yeah tossing is not used for gambling with a coin normally. Two face flips his coin when he needs an even result. Batman tosses a handful of coins on the ground as confusion.

Flipping a coin has a 50/50 result. all grayven is saying is take your chances, its an even bet on if i did screw arond. heads i screwed with it, tails its safe.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Darko and 2 others like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd July 2012
    10:25 GMT -5

The L.E.G.I.O.N. diplomatic officer who had been going to conduct the tour for Alan and Jay hurries off after them, while Lantern Coutara leads me further into the ship.

"Did you arrive with the fleet?"

"No. With a courier vessel that set out shortly afterwards."

"Will you be staying on? Earth is a highly varied environment for gaining new skills and equipment."

"Would..? They let me learn magic, do you think?"

"There's no law against teaching aliens magic. I'm not sure how easy you'll find it to get a teacher, and I don't know whether or not your species can learn Earth magic. I can talk to King Cyprian about putting you in touch with someone, if you'd like."

"Thank you. I would like that."

"What brought this on?"

"You are asking me this after you fought and destroyed the monster that fed upon my mothers' eyes?"

"Technically speaking, we don't know that it was feeding. And, yes. Asking people why they think that they're doing things is one of my techne."

A door opens at our approach, and closes immediately after we pass through. I note as we pass a group of relief pilots that this ship appears to be mostly crewed by humanoids, with none of the clickers I've grown accustomed to having around. Interesting choice. I wonder why it worked out like that?

"If one of my people had known as much about magic as the archmages you brought with you, we could have dealt with it ourselves. And we could have ended the barbarism that governed our lives."

"I'm afraid that if you want to train an archmage, you start their education as a child."

"And that is why I brought my daughter. But I want to learn a little of as many things as I can. I don't have the same drive to violent conflict that many Orange Lanterns have. But you wrote that you valued the capacity to study a situation and fix it in whatever way it can be fixed. If I learn a little magic, even if I cannot become an archmage myself, I can learn what can be achieved with magic, and call for magic aid when I am in a situation where that is appropriate."

"And that's what you want to be able to do? Your final build is as a Jill of all trades?"

"I believe that it will be."

I fly past her and turn to face her, prompting her to stop walking. Then I embrace her, arms around her chest and head over her left shoulder.

"That's wonderful!" I pull back slightly. "Those are just the skills that a Sector Lantern-"

"Ah, my Lord?"

"-needs, and I'm glad that some Lanterns are looking beyond the current war."

"You embraced me."

I check that my arms still exist.

"Yes." I let go. "Is that a problem?"

"It is-. Where I am from, it is-. It was unusual for a man to embrace a woman he was not…" Oh dear. "'Attached' to."

"But you understand that wasn't what-"

"Yes! Yes."

"-I meant by-. Good. Not that you're unappealing, but I'm unavailable. Of course, if you're looking, humans are humanoid and don't have any problem with the idea of being involved with aliens."

"I, um. I am still legally married."

"Oh, I thought-?"

"We are not 'together', but my… In my country, we don't have divorce."

"Maltus does. And since I literally killed your country's god, I'm pretty sure I have the authority to divorce you myself."

"I don't think that Jerrd would agree to that."

"Okay, this sounds like a cultural difference we should probably talk about at length… But there's a message from Dox?"

"Yes. This way."

After clearly overstepping my bounds I decide to.. keep quiet, until we arrive at what my records say should be an equipment storage locker. The outline is correct, but the interior has been replaced with some highly sophisticated anti-intrusion equipment. If I recognise the machine correctly, anyone inside its effect radius will effectively be in a tiny synthetic parallel universe.

"In here?"

She nods, and we both step inside the circle described by the device. Then she activates it.

The edge of the universe is turquoise in colour, and only a metre away. The effect can't last; it's a fundamentally limited technology, or the Reach would use these devices as traps. Still, the idea that a seventh of the volume of the universe is me amuses me.

"Clarissi Dox wants you to return to Maltus at once."

And he couldn't just send a ring message?

"Of course. Did he say 'why'?"

"The war with the Reach will begin soon. And by 'soon', he meant almost as soon as you return."

I.. frown. "I.. receive readiness reports. We're.. nowhere near ready to engage in all-out hostilities."

Unless the reports I've been getting were wrong. Which wouldn't astonish me. Ring-to-ring communications are generally regarded as being inviolable, but Dox wouldn't be Dox if he took risks like that.

"Clarissi Dox believes that a show of force is necessary to bring doubters on board with our military alliance."

I nod. "The Reach don't really care about their outer worlds. We can overrun one or two that aren't completely converted, use our best deprogramming techniques on the population and set them up as a forward operating base. If we share recordings of what we're doing, we demonstrate that we can effectively follow through on our promises, and the Reach won't really care about their loss. We'll have to double down on our home…" She's shaking her head. "Security."

"We will not be striking at an outer world. He intends for us to strike at a mid-sphere reserve fleet base."

"I see."

The Reach limit the level of force they keep on the outskirts of their territory as a token compliance to the terms of their agreement with the Guardians. But worlds that are fully 'converted' can have full fleet complements stationed there, which can strike outwards 'in protection of trade'. Those aren't single cruisers or armed merchantmen. Those are proper warships, with fixed defences, garrisons and a dozen or so scarab warriors.

Of course, if we do take it, a huge section of the outer sphere suddenly has no support. If we set up FTL jammers, they won't even be able to retreat. There might be a risk of a Reach Reserve Fleet from their inner worlds making an issue of things, but it's…

The turquoise universe evaporates, returning us to the communications room with the gently smouldering equipment.

"Interesting. Please pass on my apologies to Alan and Jay."

I raise my right hand to my forehead

and step out

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  25. Mr Zoat

Also, I have now changed Artemis's line to say 'flipping'.

Jaron, Finerc, TopHatWearer and 15 others like this.
  26. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

I feel like the SI would mention how he got a Goddess of Marriage to divorce her husband a year or so ago. So convincing either her, the husband, or both wouldn't be that hard in comparison.

EDIT: Not that it was that hard to convince Hera, just the implication to get Lady Lantern mind turning,

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Let me guess, he believed the whole eye gouging thing was perfectly fine and saw nothing wrong with it?

'be an'

maybe 'effect'

maybe 'of the volume'

'FTL'

28. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Jumping from an Earth war to the start of an interstellar war. I mean the Sheeda and the Reach have a lot of interchangeable horribleness. When Paul met the Darkstars on mission for the first time it came out the Reach turned one species into living computer systems for them so the same 'sentient resources' thing needs to be stomped on.

29. Mr Zoat

He's hardly unique in that regard.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

He just didn't have proper foresight, wasn't a man of true vision. Couldn't see the end result of his choices, so made poor ones. He really should have tried to view it from another perspective instead of being blind to the monstrousness of it all. Wasn't as on the ball as Paul.

Oh god I'm so sorry I don't know what came over me.