1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

GIVE ME MORE

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Them -> Then

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds like the Old Men want to have a look around at their pace. Or are pointedly giving OL some alone time with an attractive lady a senior operative... Entirely sensible, they've surely worked with intelligence agency spooks in their time.

Any reason she didn't come under her own FTL? Was her avarice too low to get much speed or was she not sure of being able to maintain that focus for long enough?

Ah, someone actually looking to expand their skillset beyond ringslinging? :eek: Wonder of wonders! And yes, Earth is a bit of a Monty Haul dungeon zone.

It'll be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. After all, have there been any characters not born on Earth who learned magic there?

Ah, taking a lesson to heart through experience. I'm sure OL will approve.

Perhaps a decision by Dox? He can probably guess that Humans won't have much experience with non-humanoid aliens. So why invite xenophobia when you don't have to?

You never know, she may take to it like a duck to water.And ring-aided learning has some interesting possibilities.

Honestly, that lack of wanting battle makes her much more useful outside of a warzone than in. And I see OL's comportment manual has spread through the core. I wonder how many are taking its lessons seriously?

But by that same extent, Mistress of none. But she'll likely have OL's special move: Contact Expert Ally. :p

My, he's taking that revelation very well. He's that glad someone's following his logical path? :eek: Also, personal space, Illustres!

I'm guessing he was despairing that no-one would think outside the box shaped like 'Ring-wielding Soldier.'

Hey, if she objected that much, she's have made that clear. Like she did to the priests back home.

x3 Dammit, OL! Stepping hip deep in the social faux pas again!

Thank Ophidian for that. She could probably see he had no desire for her. Joy of dealing with an experienced adult.

Really? she didn't deal with her jackass of a husband? Then again, I suppose he wasn't the one in charge of the whole system. He was just a victim of religious indoctrination...

Well, isn't that just prime. Understandable though, given the likely dependence the women would have on fathers, brother, husbands or sons...

My dear, you are a post-scarcity society by yourself. Does his opinion really matter that much to you? Do you really still have feelings for him after everything? o_O I suppose there's no accounting for the heart.

Back on topic. At least she dealt with his little boundary-leapiing better than most.

And here we thought Earth had the monopoly on hyper-advanced technology bullshit? :rolleyes: How naive.

Activate the cone of silence! ...I do hope it works better than that bit of madness...

And this required a personal messenger? Or is she going to be Lantern-on-duty while he's away? Certainly a better option than Manga Khan, definitely.

Clearly whatever the reason, it's very, very sensitive, and he wants to maintain intelligence security... We can expect the Reach to be able to intercept Ring transmissions, then.

Unless he needs a specific skillset for a very specific objective. In which case, why OL? :p

Ah, NEMO is indulging in some saber-rattling. I have the feeling, based on the episode title, that things aren't going to go as well as Dox expects them too...

That's not going to do it, I guess. Sniping at the edges won't show they have the power or will to hit the Reach hard...

Oh, boy. That'll shake up the cold war. Dox had better be damn sure he knows what he's doing...

In other words, not as big a pushover as a Reach 'diplomatic' fleet. They're going to need their best to deal with the Scarabs, thus why OL's being called in...

And then it'll be scowling at each other over a hard border, waiting for the other nation to blink... This really could go very badly, indeed.

Taking the direct route right to Dox's desk, I expect. And a very loud discussion...

Well, Dox clearly believes in 'go big or go home' when it comes to military operations. IT expect tomorrow's segment is going to be very interesting to read, just for the calm and sensible discussion OL is about to have with Dox...;)

...the monster that fed upon my mothers' eyes?
    Might need rewording there, if he's continuing that train of thought without pausing.
    "We will not be striking at an outer world. He intends for us to strike at a mid-sphere reserve fleet base.

4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Was the Eye-Gouger People planet a comic book thing? What issue was it?

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just some side planet Atrocitus spent a page or two venting at. Not sure what issue though.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was issue 4 of Red Lantern, the n52 comic.

Atrocitus basically does something similar that OL did when searching recruits, listening for people's rage.

He destroyed a temple on that planet.

In that issue Ratchet, the hugging jelly fish from space, showed up.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.
  7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't see why they needed the security precaution of the pocket universe at all, unless it was a test of the system or something. Why not just ask or order Paragon to report to Dox? Everyone in charge presumably knows about his super-teleportation.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Silveraith and 2 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Dox strikes me as being fairly paranoid, so maybe he thought it would be sensible to do this.

It may not seem like it to us, but either Dox sees something that we don't, or it doesn't make much sense, but paranoid people aren't always known for making logical decisions, even if they're highly intelligent.

Cuchulin, timeForced, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  9. moralrelativity

He should have been a more studious pupil of moral philosophy. Maybe then he would have realised that women would want to lash out at the people that harmed them. He should have realised he was being eye-ful, he ocular have known better. He could have checked if women were all-white with the vision-ious treatment they were getting. He should have known it was a tear-able idea.

I'm not sorry. You literally asked for it. :)

10. moralrelativity

I'm not sure that paranoid really applies in this case. Dox knows the Reach are out to get him. I'd call him sensibly cautious.
    True. Your words reminded me of an ex-friend of mine when I was at University. He was a medical student so both much smarter and more diligent than I was. He succumbed to paranoid delusions after a bad break-up and everyone who tried to help him was pushed away and labeled (in his mind) as part of the problem. Now I'm sad again. :(

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  11. Agent Orange

Because OL would just ring him to see what he wants? 'You're not the boss of me Dox.'

Also did OL forget he promised to introduce the Eye Lady Lantern to Cyprian? He just greedported out and for all we know he won't return to Earth until Season 2 plotlines start.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Cuchulin, ashadowalker and Chaoswind like this.
  12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

This brings me great joy.

Mors, moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  13. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I suspect Dox is right in this instance. The Reach have been marching on steadily for centuries and everyone is used to that. It's going to take something big to snap everyone out of it.

Vorian, timeForced, Darko and 2 others like this.
  14. moralrelativity

That's how eyeroll. I am the cornea-st! Iris-t my case.

15. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

If Dox believes that communications may be bugged, then it only makes sense to try to avoid the Reach being alerted that Dox has a reason to reactivate one of the Corps' stronger assets. In military strategy you want to keep deployment secret to the extent possible so that your enemies don't set up a trap for you when you move. Even though the Reach may know about Paul's speed, an attack of the scale planned requires co-ordinating with slower forces, so if they know Paul's coming, the amount of warning they'd get to prepare for him could be substantially longer than his personal travel time.

Correction: complement not compliment

Cuchulin, timeForced, Darko and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. The SI is very fast. Most Lanterns are far slower, sufficiently slow that a dedicated high speed vessel will probably be faster.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not at all, but direct orders from Dox take priority.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. jmartinez8089

jmartinez8089 Getting out there.

Plus the guy can literally teleport back in an instant whenever he wants.

18. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Should that be techniques?

That I look for in Sector Lanterns-?

19. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

changed
    Interstellar war including orange Lanterns should be pretty fun.
    How much ship yoinking is expected?

Gilhelmi, Mr Zoat and JoTa34 like this.
  20. Agent Orange

Dox won't let him. He sent him back to Earth because OL and his great orange snake were making it impossible for Dox to show everyone who's in charge. But as soon as he sent him there one disaster after another struck, necessitating sending away Dox's Lanterns to Earth only for them to witness OL being OL. So what's a man green skinned alien supposed to do in this situation? The person who hired him to lead the Corps keeps showing off and stealing his thunder. Well he could keep inventing threats and missions that 'only OL could do'. I expect every time OL resolves some mess he will be sent away on a new side-quest (including but not limited to coffee runs, picking up Dox's dry cleaning, scanning asteroid belts for specific obscure minerals and what not). All 'vitally important to the war effort'.

By the time OL gets some time off he'll realise that Season 3 plotlines are already wrapping up. And that the people of Earth forgot all about the Cake Guy's accomplishments ("'Orange Lantern'? Which one? There's a bunch of them. Thank god for that Dox fellow.").

*All of the above was a joke*

Cuchulin, Vorian, timeForced and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

No, though I may be using it wrongly.
    Thank you, corrected.

22. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Look I'm personally taken, got a girlfriend, and I'm not really looking for more relationships...

But I did help a warrior priestess island hook up all the women, and I'm about to help your whole society be able to divorce so that more people can hook up as well... Maybe I should contact Jade because I seem to be really trying to set myself up with a harem here.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  23. Agent Orange

Jade?

Oh! His offscreen girlfriend? Why would she mind? At least this potential haremette is humanoid :)

Vorian, timeForced, Ngamer11 and 6 others like this.
  24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

If OL stays involved in the war for a long stretch of time, right after Earth got hit by the Sheeda, there is a huge potential for shit to hit the fan while he is away.

Zoat, what was your policy on medium to major time jumps again?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Gilhelmi like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I'm doing 52 episodes a year, but with time travel and what have you the characters' actual experience of time can be a little different.

26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I get that reference. "Get Smart" was such a great show. 1960's-1970's comedy spy show. Agent 69 (Mr. 'Smart') and the much more competent Agent 99.

So many of the silly novelty gadgets would be easy to make now. The shoe phone would be less practical than a normal smart phone. Ah, so many good memories of watching Nick-at-Night (reruns of old TV shows, it came on Nickelodeon..... at Night).

I recommend people look it up. Just remember, old shows were not meant to be binged. Watch a couple episodes a week.

27. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I remember him going to the women lose eye's world, but I don't remenber him killing a god there when did that happen?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Agent Orange

No particular significance to the number of episodes ;)

29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm willing to wait to see what happens in the next few updates (if there's a Reach infiltrator found in the ranks, or possibly Jade being in danger) to solidify my opinion, but if the Reach are in fact monitoring ring communications somehow (even if it's just Paragon's ring in particular or something), then they should already know that Lantern Coutara has a secret message for Paragon that she can't transmit over ring, which is basically a sign to be prepared for the chance of him showing up (admittedly not as certain as hearing 'Dox wants you to attack a mid-sector', but still quite telling).
    Having a code phrase or just a routine of regular in-person check-ins (where they can discuss sensitive plans) seems far less energy-intensive than creating temporary pocket universes, cool as that is. Magic does seem to be something the Reach can't handle (and I believe the Scarabs are generally the pinnacle of their technological development, or close to it?) so maybe the OLC and affiliated organizations can develop general warded briefing rooms in the future.

Speaking of magic and Scarabs, does Adrianna have access to the memories of previous wielders of the Amulet, or commune with the goddess herself? I wonder if she remembers the ritual to disable the Scarab that I believe Isis previously conducted.

I think this has been answered before, so my apologies, but can Lords of Order and Chaos function away from planets with high-magic fields? Since they connect to extradimensional planes of energy instead of their surroundings. I suppose I wonder the same about Angelika. A large-scale mystic assault on the Reach would be fun to see.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

During the Low Politics episode.

Gilhelmi likes this.