1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

This all relays on Dox not going Orange crazy while Paul was gone. Rational choice, no not great. But as someone going crazy with greed, i can easily see it. it seemed like the OL's going on the first attack with Paul were the more impulsive ones who don't follow orders as well. Removing all the difficult ones in a single moment and (maybe he planned to kill Grayven immediatly after and secure his position.) Maybe they werent working togethor but Dox was waiting for GRayven to make a move on the reach, and he was going to hit both at same time.

I'm not saying we have a space version of the Light(that comes from Agent Orange and i think it could be cool if so but this is a 2 person, one off deal kind of thing in my mind.), only that I don't think Dox wants to share the Corp anymore and he colluded with/planned around Grayvens own invasion. I feel Grayven and Dox both want the Corp. Maybe the real reason it was so sudden, was to surprise Grayven instead of the Reach because Dox saw he was going for a REach world and wanted both enemies reeling..

The reason is popularity. Batman makes up nearly half of DC sales, so unless it changes Batman is the key for DC. (I'm not knocking Batman, only saying in a vs its popularity 90% of the time that determines a winner so this is a bad example because it always comes down to Batman ambushing/suprising Superman. In a fair fight in an arena this would be very different and Bane/Grundy is a better example.) Both have been shown around supermans strength depending on continuity, and Batmans consistant defeats of them show the tactical mind thing. because batman vs superman is always about popularity not unbiased facts.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Vorian, Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Good point.

3. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Maybe Dox is busy Brainiacing Grayven's Father Box to take control and/or diplomancy it into turning over the dreadnought, and saw part of the Anti-Life powering it which BSOD'd him or made him go mad from the implications.

4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

effect radius

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually Zoat has indicated that "powerful apokalyptic weaponry" were practically toys by Apokalips standards, and that the Forever People would have been hurt worse by regular old guns.

There might be alien "allies" that Darkseid trusts enough with actually good weapons, but Intergang ain't among them, you see.

While DC did once establish that the Forever People were uplifted humans, that got retconned later on.

In fact Vykin's mother Valkyra taught Orion how to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and if she hadn't died Vykin would probably be calling Orion daddy.

And Captain Atom is coated in nigh indestructable metal while the Forever People were knocked out by weapons that Superboy shrugged off, so no need to insult Captain Atom like that. :)

6. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Eh. The durability of CA's shell hasn't been tested or explained in the YJ canon. In JLU, we saw it get breached fighting the giant nuclear robot thing. In the Batman/Superman: Public Enemies movie, we saw Power Girl breach Major Force's (?) suit with a punch.

I know that in comic canon, his suit is made out of that strange alien flesh that required an X-Ioniser to cut, and since X-Ioniser's exist in YJ, I would assume his suit is made of the same material.

My comment about CA's strength is more regarding his power output and speed. We never see him do much on screen, but what little I remember seeing, didn't leave me impressed.

And... I'll say that weapons against Superboy are inconsistant. He shrugs off Apokolyptian weapons, but we see in the first Santa Prisca mission that Sportsmaster is able to push him back with just some kind of standard energy weapon (plasma bolt thrower, maybe?).

Darko, moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I assumed Apokolyptian weapons are more sould based instead of mass based. So in Santa Prisca he only weighs 200ish lbs so gets pushed back by physics. while the new god tech only would do so if Connors soul was weaker. (I do agree he has inconsistant damage but this one had bother me already until i decided on a reason, probably explained by him having been in cave longer that day or something)

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But they still had the help of a powerful and high ranking New God, whose people can buff their allies as we've seen in this story, so maybe aside from giving them some tech Desaad also gave them some divine assistance.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Isn't that an aspect of their domains, or am I misremembering that power that Zoat added to the New Gods?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it an aspect of their domains then I guess Desaad increased their ability to cause pain.

11. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd July 2012
    10:29 GMT -5

Oh. I… Think I vaguely remember that he was one of Darkseid's offspring, created because the writers thought that they were devaluing Darkseid by showing him being constantly beaten by everyone. Notable victories included killing Darkstars… And I can't think of anything else.

"Nice work with the Reach fleet. Councillor Vayneek told me that his clan was interested in attacking the Reach, but he didn't mention that his clan chief was Apokoliptian."

Now that I get a closer look, the tron lines on the front of his cuirass look like a more high-tech version of the clan insignia. That makes sense; he'd wear it because it shows he's in charge, but there's no way he'd paint it on himself and his flesh would regenerate a tattoo.

"How do you know of my people?"

"S-." I frown, then smile. "Your brother Scott Free lives on my homeworld."

There's no obvious reaction to that news, though assuming he's actually in touch with Apokolips then he now knows where I come from.

"You do know me, then."

"Know of you. I mean, I knew a New God was involved the moment the boom tube appeared, and I guessed 'Apokoliptian' due to the way your followers conducted themselves, but I didn't know you were in charge. I didn't know what you looked like until you introduced yourself just now."

"And you. What are you?"

"I am the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps. And as-."

"No. Not that. You do not feel entirely mortal."

"I was bonded to the Embodiment of Avarice for a week a year and a half ago. The experience -and the recovery from it- changed me. Look, can we… Talk about the Reach?"

"Yes." "Acquiesce."

There it.. is again.

"Please don't do that."

"I do what I like."

"Does 'what you like' include starting a fight with the Embodiment of Avarice right here? Scott explained that spiritual communication thing you New Gods do-."

"He did not. He lacks the knowledge that would be required. Still, I can be satisfied that you are not wholly ignorant. But, no. I will not still my soul for your benefit."

"In that case we will speak with you in the manner in which you are accustomed."

A clear expression of disquiet on his face as we regard all that he is. The structures of his desires are more alive than those we are accustomed to, more bound up in the material, acting on it and directing it and in turn-.

"Banish your creature!" "You Are Not Worthy!"

"We are not so separate that one can banish the other, but since it offends you so much, I will make a temporary accommodation."

His eyes are glowing red-. Ah, yes, he has a scaled-down version of the omega beam, doesn't he. I wonder how scaled down? Conflict with Darkseid is inevitable, and it would be infinitely preferable to have some idea if plan 'stick something in the way' is actually a viable tactic.

"The New God religion says that each of you embodies a fraction of the Source, doesn’t it? The divide between me and the Ophidian is a little unclear. But: the Reach."

He remains staring at me as his eyes dim.

"This ship is the Absolute Dominion. A New God warship crafted to fight in our earliest wars and made whole anew at my direction. It is unimaginably superior to anything the Reach can field."

I nod. "And your gordanians have a rare discipline. I take it you've worked on them as well?"

"Their minds and souls are now as strong as their bodies. They can never be my equals, but they are most excellent tools for extending my domain."

"I had been under the impression that Apokolips was out of the military conquest business."

"I do not do this for Apokolips. I act in my own name, under my own banner."

"Ah. Good for you. Because we're really not ready to fight Darkseid."

That actually gets a small smirk.

"No. You are not."

"But he's the target, isn't he? In the end. He can't tolerate anyone being independent of him, not in the long run."

"I have no interest in indulging you. I will tell you what I will do. I will destroy the Reach as a political body. The survivors will become mine, and I will rule over them as I see fit."

"I have no particular objection to you taking and administering that territory, but… The worlds conquered by the Reach but still occupied by their original inhabitants must be returned to them."

"They can live under my reign, equal to my other tools. The Reach destroy theirs too readily." "Such inefficient statecraft offends me."

"Well… We're not going to be releasing any worlds we liberate to you, though we'll be happy to help you undo the Reach's programming on any worlds you liberate."

"I have no need for your aid."

"Alright. Then… Why are we talking? If you don't want anything and aren't offering anything, I don't understand the point."

"I wished to look you in the eye. Your shield was not inconsiderable in magnitude. If I did not know who you are, my eventual triumph over you would have less… Weight."

"Can.. we at least agree to fight the Reach first?"

"If you stay out of my way, I will not seek you out."

"I'll… Take that. Um, thank you. Good luck with your war against the Reach, I hope you don't die until right near the end."

He actually smiles.

"I hope that you die to no hand but mine."

"Ah… I already died once. Burning sword through the skull."

"I will make sure that mine is more…" His eyes light up again. "Thorough."

"Ah. Okay?" I raise my right fore and index finger to my forehead and give him a demi-salute. "I'll.. be seeing you, then."

I step-.

His smile broadens.

Be like that, then.

We step into him, twisting and bending his desire networks, leaving him writhing in confusion before we finally leave, heading after our fleet and our Lanterns. As a New God he will recover in short order, but perhaps he will learn some manners? But now, we have a victory to earn.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There it is!
    Way off.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Godspeech for the Invisitext impaired.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Will Paul ever be able to understand Godspeech without relying on the Ophidian to give him a boost?

15. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Add "know" before the bold "you".

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was stupid of you, now he will work to defend against that sort of thing in the future.

Cuchulin, Senevri, ArKFallen and 5 others like this.
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Exactly how mad will Grayven be at Paul for doing this?

That was always a given, especially since Grayven is more experienced with using Godspeech and the power of ones soul. This at least makes sure that Grayven will be more wary of Paul in the future, meaning he won't be so gung-ho about doing anything against the Orange Lantern Corps directly.

18. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Looks like Grayven considers Paul a worthy enemy.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, he's not the most well known New God around.

That's complicated.

And I like what I do.

Ah, he has a Mother Box and has been in contact with New Genesis, so he most likely has the knowledge.

maybe 'acting on it, directing' maybe add a comma there

Few are.

So he's a bit like renegade.

This felt like a Sontaran compliment.

20. Embers999

Embers999 Not too sore, are you?

I am confused. Is this the real Grayven that is Darkseid's son from Universe 16, or is this Renegade!Paul Grayven?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he will most likely be like an other god king.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's the real Grayven.

23. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

With how op God domains are in this au it may have been worth to stop gray from gaining a win over OL, even if it was petty.

24. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Renegade Paul doesn't work with Gordanians. This is Actual!Grayven.

25. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Apokoliptic.

:sneaky:

26. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

Well, that was surprisingly civilized. So, they basically agreed to stay out of each other's way until the conquest (Grayven)/liberation (OLC/LEGION) of Reach territory is finished, which will probably take centuries.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade did conquer the Gordanians, so they may work for him, but yeah this is the actual Grayven.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Crisis of Multiple Grayvens in progress...

This is Grayven 16 - Paragon Grayven.

Also relevant to this fic are Grayven-16 (Renegade Original Flavor Grayven), Grayven-50 (Justice Lords Grayven), and Renegade Paul (Artificially Flavored Grayven).

Sojiko, ChestBurster, w34v3r and 7 others like this.
  29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

id comment on that being a little petty there at the end, but, OL? Best Snek?have to say. both as a person, and as a character? as Bayonetta once said to madame butterfly:
    "-nice-."
    seriously,such a fragile ego- its a sad day to see a god of conquest that cant even conquer his own urges/neurosis/fear of getting another lashing with the neural whip by granny-
    i mean, CONSTANTLY demanding obedience/supplication with godspeech- so insecure!

Ren!Gravy would have formed up with the OLC detachment and started a second run on another target whilst using more subtle nudges AND playing the diplomatic game in the time he wasted blathering (assuming he was focused, admittedly), for all that he's got a rep for being more direct/combative then the paragon...

more seriously, it rather feel's like he's gotten dependent on using godspeech to covertly nudge "mortals" into acquiescence, or making mistakes/freezing one way or the other- could be a potential vulnerability if he's used to acting like a blunt object Re: his personal contributions to a conflict/parley-and that short temper of his is another weakness for someone who fancy's them-self a war-leader....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  30. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Isn't Grayven-50 kinda dead? I doubt he would show up in any future Crisis event barring some time-travel stuff.