1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Gosh. That was a surprise. Well done. Have we met?

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wonder how well Grayven would resist if Paragon theoretically tried to assimilate him.

moralrelativity likes this.
  3. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This seems like a teachable moment.

Renegade has been 'Gravened' for several RL years now. If his hair color has been described so infrequently the readers cannot remember what it is supposed to be, that is bad, M'kay?

If the writer himself doesn't know what his hair color because he hasn't decided despite the character having had that form for years, and the author having written him for years, that is worse.

I'm now imagining Renegraven fanart, with 'under construction' spapped liberally around everywhere. Like the hair, the eyes, and who knows where else?

Are you sure you haven't written the color somewhere and forgotten? Or had him bald? You described his translated by magic pony form as a dark black, right? Would the spell change his hair color?

4. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

All the necessary information is in the first chapter. First name of your dad is Colin, from Eastbourne, and a retired biologist. Google and some patience later, an article about the retirement of one Colin Tallowin. Some cursory searches for Paul Tallowin reveals he exists, is about the right age, and has a sister, which also fits. I've known for quite a while, but seeing other people guess is kinda funny.

Edit: Annoyingly, I can't find the article anymore

More funny is dropping the answer to a year's long question out of the blue from an account with an obviously dumb name and barely a smattering of activity.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thank you for telling us this.

6. HereforZooat

I very heavily considered just never posting again on this account, which may have been a bit funnier, but also more mean

Ardy, zeebza, ndh and 10 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I guess so.

Have you ever found any pictures of Zoat?

moralrelativity likes this.
  8. HereforZooat

Nah, seems creepy to stalk someone like that once I found what I was looking for. And what, I'd find a picture of some Englishman with brown hair? Not worth any effort.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

And again, thank you for telling us what his name is.

10. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok. I would have never guessed that. Never even heard that word before today, and it sounds sort of made up. I doubt Robin ever got close throwing out candle related candidates.

Also, in retrospect, Peter Wynne was another clue. Appropriating part of his last name in a way that he could speak, but to us (and Batman), just sounded like he was having a bit of fun with the Rich Capitalist Archetype, and maybe poking fun at Batman/Wayne

One one had this would be a dumb thing for Dox to do, burning the man who freed him and has been nothing but accommodating in giving him the job. On the other hand, brainics don't have the best track record for making smart choices. The one from the 24th century time travel arc was more harm than help, and the one in ReneGraven future apparently did something in the battle with StarSnuffer™ that got the entire universe minus earth destroyed.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair, Starbreaker would have probably destroyed the universe by himself, eventually.

12. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

This shit is why I find your so-called SI OC so compelling a character.

I really enjoy the level at which he has been removed from normal human considerations.

He can, at the same time: make an accommodation for the comfort of someone being an asshole for no reason and then invade their personal space on a pretty fucked up level, and both are about as significant to him holding a door open for someone.

13. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

It seems like an uncanny valley thing. Paul's orange light communication feels apocalypsian to New Genesis new gods, but to ones actually from Apocalyps it's probably close but not quite right.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given Grayven could do that "fight as equals" thing and shut almost everything of Paragon's down whether Paragon outclasses him or not is kind of moot.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Warner Brothers actually

Did....you just halfway dox Zoat?

16. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Zoat provided in story:
    • His dad's name.
    • The fact he has a sister.
    • His age.
    • His first name.
    • His nationality.
    • His hometown.

Is it really even doxing, even halfway, if the information was provided by Zoat?

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I thought the riddle for Mr. Zoat's name was to guess it but never say it in the thread or to people that doesn't know?

I remember finding it when Coda mentioned having found it (in the previous thread, I think?) and thinking "that's a last name I had never seen", but his last name has rarely been relevant to the story. Honestly, had even forgot about it.

And I think I remember that the Renegade has dark hair... or was implied to have dark hair and nobody mentioned that it wasn't so...

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

This felt like OL was talking to/humoring baby smaug.[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You are adorable!

20. Threadmarks: Gothamghast (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

[​IMG] July 3rd 2012, 08:32 GMT -7 [​IMG]

I didn't see a lotta nature growing up in Gotham. Poison Ivy hadn't taken over Robinson Park yet, but the Falcones already owned the mayor's office and the city council. Money for parks and recreation wasn't exactly high on their priority list. And trips with Dad out to the forest weren't exactly nature walks.

I don't know if it's because they're ponies or because they haven't industrialised yet, but the ponies have a lot more nature around their towns. Canterlot.. just.. stops once you get off the mountain. And then there's miles of moorland before you get to… This place.

It's called Ponyville. I know I'm just getting a translation from Sunset's spell, but that's not even a pun. It's just 'pony' with 'ville' stuck on the end. We don't have towns called 'Humanville'. Yeah, Grayven said there's a place in England called 'Manchester', and apparently there's some place in Vietnam called 'Hue', but it's not literally every town on the planet.

"Bit for your thoughts?"

The pink… Ah… Pinkie Pie? I'm guessing this is the local one, but I don't know how Grayven tells them apart. It's probably something to do with him starting to reorganise their government and so counting them as his 'subjects', but arrows don't really have personalities. If I wanted to work out the differences I'd probably need to go hunting with them or something.

I look around the apple orchard.

"How do you pick these without hands?"

Pinkie Probably Pie grins, shaking her head, her mane flopping back and forward like it's made of rubber. "We don't, silly. How would we pick things without hands?"

"I-. With your mouths? That's how most ponies I've seen move stuff."

Pinkie Pie frowns. "I think that would bruise the skin. And it would take a really long time. And it would probably make a lot of ponies strain their necks. And have you tried to go up a ladder as a pony? We're really not designed for ladders."

"I guess… Okay, how do you get the apples off the trees?"

Pinkie Pie perks up. "I'll show you!" And then she perks down. "Well, okay, I won't show you, because last time I tried to do it… It didn't go too well. But my friend Applejack can show you!"

"Let's go find Applejack, then."

Pinkie Pie… Bounces, all four legs acting like springs. Is that something ponies can do? Ponies like Wilson-ponies. I haven't seen any of the others do it, but maybe they just think it looks silly? Or maybe it's really hard? I've gotten the hang of walking with four hooves, but I can't run-. Or.. trot? Yet.

"Hey, do you have deer around here?"

"Of course not. This is an apple orchard, not a deer orchard." Pinke Pie gasps, then her head twists around like an owl's neck while she keeps bouncing. "Unless they're in disguise!"

"Ah, yeah, no, I meant; can deer talk on this planet? Are they intelligent, like ponies?"

"Wouldn’t they be intelligent like deer?"

"That's a tautology. Look, I know gryphons and dragons are as intelligent as ponies, but regular dogs and cats aren't."

"Oh."

"So?"

"So?"

"Are deer intelligent like gryphons, dragons and ponies are?"

"I don't know. I've never met a deer. But the only zebra I've met is super-nice, so, maybe?"

"How about giraffes?"

"What are those?"

Right. Pre-industrial, in the middle of a continent. They probably didn't even have a map of their planet until Grayven gave them one.

"They look sorta like ponies, but a lot bigger and with really long necks. And they've got two little-" I go cross-eyed for a second trying to look at my horn. "-horns on their heads."

"Huh. I dunno, but now I really wanna meet one! They probably could pick apples without a ladder!"

"Yeah, probably."

I don't… I mean, yeah, this place is about as far from the Land of Summer's End as you can get, and I guess Grayven wanted to spend some time with Princess Luna, but I don't.. really…

I don't know why I'm here. I think Grayven wants to put me in a relaxing environment, without all of the people and places I keep thinking I should remember but don't. But I think that's just… Putting it off? If he was just trying to break me out of a 'downward spiral' or something-.

"Hey, AJ!"

A pale orange pony with a.. cowboy hat. Huh? Why would a pony wear a hat to keep the sun off when they're not wearing clothes and they're covered in fur? That-. Anyway, the orange pony with the apple butt tattoo looks up from taking buckets off a cart.

"Well hey there Pinkie Pie! Who's yer friend?"

"This is Artey! She came through the magic mirror like Grayven did!"

'AJ' starts looking decidedly less welcoming. "That right."

"Uh-huh! And she wants to know how we get apples off the trees!"

"Well, that's easy. We buck 'em."

I frown, and I feel the pull as my horn stops the skin over my forehead moving.

"You.. buck them?"

"Why, we surely do! I'll show ya!"

Applejack grabs one bucket after another, rapidly tossing them into a rough circle around one of the apple trees. Weird they all stay upright, but I guess the bases are weighted or something?

"Watch real careful, y'all."

Applejack backs up towards the tree, and it looks like she's carefully judging the distance. So, what, she kicks the tree and the apples fall off? How can that wo-

Next to me, Pinkie Pie inhales deeply, her lungs swelling.

-rk..? Oh, is this one of those song th-?

"Apple's a yummy, tree-growing fruit!
    Bucking them is a bucker's strong suit!
    Because you see it's really a breeze!
    Pull your legs back and buck all the trees!"

Applejack kinda leans forward, lifts her back legs up and thrusts them into the tree. The tree vibrates, the apples shake, then… Fall… Perfectly into the buckets?

What?

"You can buck peaches and you can buck limes!
    And you can buck figs if you've got the time!
    And if you want to buck down some sloes!
    Swing your legs hard and see how it goes!"

Pinkie Pie prances around as Applejack continues buck-.

Lift your tail up and buck all the trees!"

Wait. Wait. Lift your-? What's she saying?

"If fruit-bearing trees aren't how you swing!
    You can buck just about anything!
    Buck on a wood plank to drive in the nails!
    Or buck a ship-mast to open the sails!"

Is she..?

Spread your legs wide and buck all the trees!"

This is-!

"Srk!"

"Buck on a mountain to knock down a rock!
    Buck on a tower to start up a clock!
    Buck on a stuck pipe to start up a flow!
    You can try bucking wherever you go!"

Stretch your haunches and buck all the trees!"

"Hahahahaha!"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Huh... wonder if unicorns can buck? We’ve seen Pegasi buck clouds though.

22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm gonna say that the new god of arrows really did need that laugh.

LaVa, mastermenthe, Lotor and 24 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'from the taken' or maybe 'from taking'

Nice to see some happines for her.

Question.

Did she laugh because some parts of that song sounded like a sexual innuendo, like the spread your legs and buck all the trees part?

If so, then I give you this.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Bucking ponies again... I approve!

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, mauke and 3 others like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

In MLP, "Counterspelling" is just bucking a spell. :p

27. Mr Zoat

We've seen beams of war and shields, but I don't remember ever seeing counterspelling in MLP:FiM.

28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Beavers are the best.

I hope in tomorrow's chapter we see AJ's reaction too.

Cuchulin, Relyt33, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're such noble creatures.

BBJimmy, Cuchulin, Istaran and 4 others like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:rolleyes: Yes, Gotham is a shithole, this is well-known... But hey, it's getting better. ...In Paragon-verse at least. :confused: After all, Doctor Gotham's still lurking in Renegade-verse, isn't he?

They do make up for the puns of just about every other community in Equestria. I guess the Apple family were feeling a bit burnt out on puns when they founded Ponyville...

I mean, I'm sure a Boxing Glove arrow has a very gregarious character. And Flare arrows like it hot? Grapple arrows are clingy? :p Maybe she should focus on them more.

Oh, are you in for a treat, honey... And a bit of a headache...

Ah, she hasn't learnt the art of communicating with Pinkies yet. Think of your worst Dad jokes. Those will be your basic level of comedy...

Makes me honestly wonder what Pony scaffolding looks like... Long spiral ramps?

Most ponies don't do too great at it either, do they? The Apple family are kind of masters of certain Earth Pony skills, though...

For reference, that motion is called Pronking (or Stotting, depending on region.) Something many prey quadrupeds do, especially when young. Why? Who knows. Why does Pinkie do it? Because it's fun and cute, duh. :D

...That is a good question. Don't the local cows talk, or am I misremembering?

Maybe only quadrupeds of a certain size? Which suggests larger dogs might be capable of it... Someday. And Diamond Dogs don't count, they're basically Kobolds.

Pinkie's having fun messing with her, isn't she? Artemis must make a great straight-pony...

I bet Deer would be proud assholes... Wild Deer can be dicks, I hear.

There's a scary thought. Imagine Giraffe soldiers, with neck, slung weapons, like huge maces and guillotine blades... Seriously, Giraffes are nasty...

Like trying to describe an elephant to a blind pony... Sort of.

They're probably more nomadic, though... Man, this line of thought spawns whole reams of fan-species concepts.

Oh, he has a plan. ;) Just like Celestia, really. Just roll with it, gurl.

Hey, when you walk around nude, accessories can make your look distinctive and marketable memorable!

And that's why she wears the cowboy hat. It finishes off that perfect down-home western aesthetic... Surprised Artemis had no comment on the accent.

Ah, she wasn't overly fond of Grayven, was she? Still, she doesn't judge people based on friendships.

Heh, she's not settling into equine form at all, is she? Not like Grayven, who leapt at the chance to pony it up... :D Once he could stand unaided.

Brace yourself, Arty, this is gonna be fun.

...You know, she could probably learn something from Applejack's ability to eyeball the landing spots of every apple on a tree.

<Prepares to Squee>

I'm picturing this as a real drinking song tempo. Easy for a bunch of drunks to sing along to, easy-to-remember chorus and all that.

Toldja, Arrow-girl. Get her to teach you that, you'll enjoy yourself.

Now I wish I had a tankard of mead to thump on the table... And a good log table to thump it on...

Oh, my. [/takei] Definitely a bawdy drinking song... One for the stallions who like a nice firm flank, eh?

Pretty sure they've shown ponies do all of those things in the series, haven't they?

Enjoy the nice, cool wind betwixt your nethers, and all that.

Hah, no bad mood survives exposure to Pinkie Pie. :p You just know she planned this!

x3 Can you buck in front of other people, I ask? Or is it just a thing between consenting adults? :p

I wonder if an expert Earth pony mage or Alicorn with earth-focused magic could do an entire orchard in one stomp?

And Pinkie discreetly hoof-pumps with a grin, because of course she meant for that to happen.

Well, looks like Artemis is finally starting to relax. While she's not fixed yet, whether you think she's broken or not, at least she's started down the road to recovery. I bet regular trips to Equestria will help her mood a lot...

Corrections:
    Would 'lotta' fit better here? It's the more common usage.
    "Bit for your thoughts?"
    ...forward like it's made of rubber.
    ...and thrusts them into the tree.
    Swing your legs hard and see how it goes!"