1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

They owe him for information on the Guardians tinkering with them, they owe him again for helping with J'onn's brother and hyperclan. But mostly they owe him for having Mother of Mercy show up to help with their geological issues regarding their planet core. Getting that to spin up gives them a magnetosphere that will aid in rebuilding the planet atmosphere, to make the surface habitable.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually Mars in the paragon side may be more peaceful than renegade side.

The information of what the Guardians did was not released to the public, I think Zoat mentioned that Martian ruler Paul talked to has been making laws that benefit Whites and convinced others to also do it, and their rebuilding their ecosystem.

3. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Well once they get deeper into reach territory there become less and less reason to not use big and bad weapons of mass destruction. The Reach don't really have "civilians" in their long held worlds. It's mindcontrol and robots all the way down.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Cuchulin, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Well it looks like he's going to Mars, and psychic powers are still that one weakspot that will never get patched so maybe OL will get mind-controlled by some Martian? Put in the 'Back Seat' of his own body you could say.

5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Paul says he’s looking for Manhunters, but they might not be the only martians joining him... This is the first realistic opportunity Martians might seriously consider a colony off their home world! Transportation difficulties and the behaviors of humans kept them away from Earth, but this potential group will get a taste of interstellar civilizations! They won’t have to make a world exclusive to their race, guys!

Please, Mr Zoat? Surely they can’t ALL be as culturally hamstrung as DC’s humans, riiiiiight?

Cuchulin, Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

"her people's"??? Nah, not any more. Fuck royalty.
    It hurts because it's true.
    Nice reference. I **loved** the Lensman series. How every book escalated the amount of power the Lensmen weilded. Honestly, I'm hoping for planets to be used as ballistic weapons against the hardest reach targets. I'm sure best snek would love to do that.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Why would they want to share their hypothetical colonies with a bunch of filthy, mind-blind aliens? No. Making Mars great again is a far worthier endeavour. /s

Cuchulin, Istaran and Ardy like this.
  8. FreeGod

When it comes to fighting the Reach at least rookies that freak out might actually be useful. Just have to pick rookies that will freak out in the right way. Cuts down on training time and a freaking out OL is it's own sort of weapon of mass destruction.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I don't think what worked for the Green Lanterns is going to work very well for the Orange...

Paragon said it himself, Orange work best when they can follow their desires.

Cuchulin and BartlettMagic like this.
  10. FreeGod

Mr Zoat : Is it still the case that Orange Lantern corp have more rings then they have people to use them or has recruiting manage to find people for every ring? Wondering if the limiting factor on recruitment is still finding people or if it is now making more rings.

11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The bottleneck is finding people who can safely handle the training. Ring production isn't fast, but it's okay.

12. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I'm not sure what shooting the hawk is supposed to mean.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it meant that if they didn't want him to do something, then they should not have left it there to be done in the first place.

14. keflyn

keflyn Know what you're doing yet?

I've found nobody move part 21.... are there more of this? I looked through the threadmarks and the various omake lists but couldn't find anything.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, that was the only one.

16. keflyn

keflyn Know what you're doing yet?

bother, thanks for that though, so is it just three parts for Indigo Paul then? Bereave 1,7 and Nobody Move 21?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, pretty much.

18. Osserumb

Osserumb Getting sticky.

If war with the Reach would escalate to Lensman levels, weapons used will be anti - mater galaxies.

Used to destroy evil galaxy in alternate dimension, full of planet - firing interdimensional cannons. Commanded by evil masters, using their puppets to steer the conspiracy, that is the hidden power behind the Reach.

Where all the foes Paul has fought till this day, were influenced by one of those Multi - Level Evil Marketing entities.

Vorian and moralrelativity like this.
  19. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually he is also part of the Crisis event a few episodes back

Darko likes this.
  20. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

What is the Atlantis situation in both timelines again? Also which episodes deal with these developments? I have always liked these kinds of plot.

Renegade: Clea is alive thanks to Renegade, and Venturia is still part of Atlantis, albeit with weakened central authority.

Paragon: Clea died and her nephew ascended. They took a vote and are now independent?

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Mr Zoat

Terrible news. There was a new rule instituted about word usage today.
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/rule-9-on-the-topic-of-words.13654/

I went in to try and get a ruling about a possible future incident in advance concerning the word trap, but the thread had already been closed.

So, in the interests of gathering data, I wonder if you would be willing to use the term 'trap' in your story to describe someone who has a physical gender the opposite of their publicly assumed physical gender. And when/if someone comes in to complain, post a meme with a picture of a treasure chest full of gold, and the captions 'personally, I identify as a mimic' at the top, and a bubble caption of Admiral Ackbar saying 'It's a Trap! at the bottom.

I. Dare. You.

22. Mr Zoat

Nearly. The already considered themselves independent, and the vote is just a way of denying Poseidonis legitimacy if they want to try forcing things.
    Stupid as that rule is, I don't have another website to move to and rarely describe real 'sexually creative' people in this story. Due to the whole mess which resulting in my exile from Sufficient Velocity, I'm absolutely excluding such people from the story on the grounds that it's not worth the aggro.

23. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I'm sorry, but what about the rule 9 clarifications is an issue? It doesn't allow calling real life people traps (unless they refer to themselves as such), but is perfectly allowed for fictional characters. So, if Wally suddenly started to wear female clothes and appear as a female, but keep the a male personality, it would be fine to call him a trap, in story. But if you call user "Pez" a trap, or 'Kim Jong-un' a trap, that would be a violation (unless, of course, either of us refer to ourselves as one).

WhiteNoise and Vorian like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Any explanation I could give would involve modern day real world politics, and hence be prohibited under QQ rules.

25. Kojivsleo

Kojivsleo I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ya'll better not start shit on this again, I just wanna read my daily fanfic updates.

26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Do not try to stir up shit with bullshit.

Fictional people still have no rights. As Elgee said in that thread, we simply codified what we already did. Nothing is actually new, so carry on as you did before.

27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

So you made the de facto rules also de jure, making things clear and explicit, hence removing a potential trap? :p

28. Threadmarks: Sauntering Downwards (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

19th August 2010
    16:08 GMT -5

I study the blood sample carefully.

Hm.

I had assumed that with the wide variety of super powers on offer on this.. crazy Earth, that it wouldn't be all that hard to enhance myself further. Except that when you take out all of the ones which -for some reason- flat out don't work on me, are lost in the mists of time or have… Really unpleasant side effects, there's very little left.

In… Theory, I could have managed the side effects of Venom Buster, but… I'm… Rather more attached to my body than that. It would make me tougher, but not tough enough for… Frankly, I think the ring would turn me back the moment I stopped focusing on the advantages. Who wants to be a hulking grey brute with no feeling in their skin?

My first choice was the General Immortus's immortality serum, for obvious reasons. But the man himself claimed that he only knew how to make it using substances that he'd already used up, and he didn't know what those substances were composed of because he ran out before the invention of mass spectroscopy. Finding a replacement was the whole reason why he became a supervillain in the modern era.

My second choice was that formula Lex Luthor used a few times in the comics to gain kryptonian powers. That would have had the side benefit of helping Mia with her underpowered human physiology, as well as gaining me access to them myself. But alas, it looks like Mr. Luthor hasn't developed anything like that on this Earth. And I've been looking very thoroughly.

Gingold? Like 99%+ of the population I'd die in horrible agony if I tried consuming it in the doses needed to gain the preternatural elasticity Mr Dibny uses it for. Miraclo? Has all sorts of side effect on the human body, and while I could undo them with the ring… 'Addictive' and 'orange power ring' are two things that don't go together at all well.

A veritable cavalcade of disappointments. Honestly, I got a bit desperate. I've been looking in all sorts of places for augmentations that actually work on me… Just about everywhere. The research notes of long-dead mad scientists. Government research programs that have long since been shut down. The occasional alien vivisectionist. And some of what I turned up is useful.. in.. various ways, but almost none of it could do what I wanted.

But this stuff…

I hold up the pale green vial.

This looks like it works. The animals I've tested it on get stronger, tougher and heal faster. And otherwise, neither their behaviour or appearance change. Well, not beyond the more dominant position they take in their social group as a result of being a whole lot stronger. It doesn't have an adverse reaction to my blood, ring simulations predict no negative effects… And if it does have some, it's all mundane so it's nothing that I can't reverse.

Right then. No need for anything as primitive as a syringe, but-.

Ring, monitor physiology and behaviour and inform me of any changes from baseline. Confirm command.

Command confirmed!

Right then. Dose me.

Right away!

Usually when I get an injection, there's an uncomfortable feeling of pressure in the vein receiving the injection. And I'm half-braced for that now, even though I know that the actual amount of the stuff entering my body at any one location is far too small for me to be consciously aware of it. If I wasn't.. studying it by ring-.

Yep. Yep. Involuntary muscle spasms-. I collapse to the ground, letting it happen but making sure that the ring protects me from any actual harm. My research showed that this only-. Lasts a minute or so in a human-sized animal, so it's just a matter of riding it out. A little disturbing to not be in control, but the ends justify the means.

Ugh.

Okay. I float up off the ground and back to my feet, flexing my arms as I do so. As expected, there's no outward sign of a change. I need to test it, but… Well, the ring could easily replicate the level of resilience and regeneration that would give me. And will, since I used it to give me something that I want. Which… Means I need to take it off. For actual testing, anyway. For just walking around I should keep it on for a little while, just to make sure that there aren't any untoward consequences in the immediate term.

I walk calmly out of my workshop and head in the direction of the Mountain's gymnasium. I haven't really used it much, but I was curious about how my ring-crafted muscles performed after I first got here and did enough to give me an idea about what my new limits are. Which means that I've got a performance baseline to compare my new abilities to.

Not much going on today. Mia and M'gann should be out of school by now, but they're both involved in after school activities so them not being back yet isn't a surprise. Wallace is.. probably doing something similar in Central City. Kaldur might live here, but unlike me he is a full time 'partner' of his mentor… Though I'm not exactly sad that Lantern Sur doesn't spend more time on Earth. Not that he was rude in the… One, five minute meeting that we had, but I… Don't really want to be exposed to the Guardians of the Galaxy at this point. Of course, of all the Lanterns who could be relied upon to keep the existence of a new Corps quiet

The gym equipment is exactly as we left it after Mia's last workout session. Kaldur uses it as well, but he prefers simple things like dumbbells and barbells or just straining himself on a mat rather than the various more complex machines. If he wants to run, he goes outside rather than using a running machine. If he wants to get a full-body workout he goes swimming at extreme depths.

Okay, ring off-. Hah. Scan environment first.

Nothing untoward detected!

Then the ring comes off. I crouch and put it down on the ground next to the leg press. The weight… Is something that would be manageable but require effort with my normal muscles. That'll do for a first test. I stand, take off my jumper and drop it down next to my ring. Then I climb on board, laying back and putting my feet on the mechanism of the press. Settle in place and then push-.

Heh.

I push up and down, and up and down, and it's like it's nothing at all. I can barely feel the weight. I put it in a position which causes a continual strain and… Yes, I can hold it easily.

It worked. I mean, of course it worked, I've tested it thoroughly. But seeing -and in this case doing- is believing. I push against the press again and then relax, and then repeat a further eight times to check that it isn't… I don't know, a short term effect or something. No, just as easy as at the start. I'll need to test the added endurance later.

I get up, walking around the machine to move the pin… Did Kaldur ever tell me how much he could push on these? I'm coming up blank, but my memory is only perfect when I'm wearing the ring. That felt like nothing, so… Half again? Double? Double sounds about right. I move the pin and then lie back down.

Push…

I can feel it, but it still feels like less weight than the lower weight used to. Of course, these are standard gym machines designed for fit but essentially mundane humans. None of the records I got on the formula I used suggested that it could grant true super strength…

I do ten repetitions, then try to hold it in an awkward position. Mild burn, but I'm fairly sure I could-.

"Oh. Hey."

I turn my head as Artemis-. The name brings a smile to my lips. As Artemis walks in, wearing black jogging bottoms, a green sports bra and.. she's still got her mask on. She looks around for a moment and then marches over to one of the rowing machines.

"Good afternoon."

"Didn't think you worked out here."

She puts her towel and water bottle down beside a rowing machine, then moves the seat a little forward. She.. is a fine looking young woman, the tight clothing emphasising her athletic physique and secondary sexual characteristics.

"I usually don't, but I want to keep a record of my performance."

I move the plate back to the rest position and sit up, watching her as she takes her seat and reaches forward to grip the handles.

I… Want her.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  29. AkazilliaDeNaro

AkazilliaDeNaro Getting out there.

Oh fuck is this evil!Paul?

30. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, though I don't remember the details of the serum. But this has definitely been discussed before in the thread. Still, it seems a bit redundant when we have Sybarite and Tangseid (unless this is the latter starting out?).

The title made me think this would be set in Good Omens for a second, though that's just where the reference comes from.