1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

If it is ever cured, anyone with empathic vision will likely see a solid bead of vantablack appear at the center of Tangseids everything. He’d likely thank them and inform them that if they want to continue existing they should abandon the universe since he’s going to attempt to change it by any means necessary to avert his consumption of the Hyde Potion.

kerleth and zeebza like this.
  2. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

So when was 'tangseid' first introduced cause I am lost.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was during the Plutonian episode.

4. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'm quite certain I've seen that explanation in some version of Batman (maybe an animated one?), combined with "and I'm very clumsy/accident prone." Why did he keep picking the double black diamond slopes when he's out skiing? Because billionaire playboy thrill seeker.

The bigger question is, how does he end up scarred everywhere except his immaculate face? That's implies a very specific level of skill, given his mouth isn't even protected by a costume.

kerleth, zeebza and DAT_NOOB like this.
  5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Getting, stabbed/shot in the face/head is generally not recommended in most self-defence classes

Rebu, Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  6. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

given they have used car accidents as a cover for when Bruce gets badly mangled in a fight [see knightfall]
    and probably other excuses.

yes well I had a rather embarrassing mishap while base jumping.

and this is why I don't own a pet tiger anymore.

It's the result of not properly screening the dominatrix I hired and well let's just say I should have noticed a problem when she didn't have a safe word.

The Misadventures of Bruce Wayne Clumsy Playboy Adventurer.

7. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Spelunking. What you described is another subforum entirely.

8. Grek

Grek (she/her)

It's an origin story for an alternate Paul and no weirder of a divergence than Raul got?

9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Who knows? My best guess is that Zoat have this ring a pre corruption Paul imprint yet made it powerless to act on it's own.

I mean, there is no point is having an AI as a caretaker if the AI can't help you when you are running on "This is your Brain on Evil!"

That's why in my story the MC both gives his AIs free will and makes sure they are good people.

Well that and he is aware that as a Mad Scientist he is MAD and so needs watching over.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now I'm just picturing Paul in a Borderlands Krieg situation.

The real personality trapped in his ring while his big, dumb, evil body rampages with him doing his best to at least steer it in a less negative direction.

In regards to Tangsied, his one failing at the start was not having other observers. If say, Alan and Diana had observed the process, they probably could have halted this and got him to purge himself with the ring.

Mad science! Don't perform it without a science buddy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    kerleth, ChestBurster, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I guess that is the core point of difference, without the connection he got with alan and the others, he was left experimenting on his own rather the with friends, doing magic with aqualad and science with kid flash. You don't work out without a spotter, and you don't do science without peer review.

Will state that Tang here could have simply reverted the change, as he stated before the injection it's mundane and reversible, he could re-dose himself if he wished after evaluating the difference. He could just Toggle the thing if he wanted to study the difference...with what...60 seconds of flopping on the floor between.

A difference was discovered between blue and orange lanterns was about a day from when they left Earth Prime, same with Gravyen (a particularly rough day evidently)....wonder what happened with Tang here. Common Sense seems to be in the same 16 as OL...maybe they were taken/created at the same time? Never got an exit date for other Pauls, but distance in time vs distance in the multiverse could be a factor.

Cuchulin and zeebza like this.
  12. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

No I mean his previous self that did this. No shit Tangseid doesn't want to, I just don't know why OL did it in the first place. Imagine caring about a strength increase in a superhero world, when you have a power ring.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

This parallelism even was a plot point in my fic.

The other SIs have already commented on -- or demonstrated firsthand -- why you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If your ring is neutralized or removed, you need a backup.

kerleth, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  14. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Yes, but a power rings is still an extremely powerful baseline and difficult to counter. Many backups, like super strength, are not very useful in comparison to the type of foes that can stop your power ring from working. A good gun, good armor, sciso-tech, or other useful powers would make a lot more sense, especially after the mister twister betrayal mountain invasion.

A backup is pointless if you are the one who kills you. Super strength is also a very weak power to be risking it all on. It's not even very good Super strength, somewhere around peak human at best.

Where? I can't find any good ones.

Vorian, Cuchulin and zeebza like this.
  15. Crocea

Crocea Getting sticky.

Rereading this was a journey of literal weeks, when the length of books first chapters combined start to rival most novels, its certainly time to do something.

Probably not stopping, its probably too late for that.

But doing something seems justified.

Does anyone know the full word count of this story?

Cuchulin, zeebza and IsActuallyBatman like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Not it.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not what I mean, I mean it was contrived that his ring suddenly developed sentience and would accept a super weak argument that countermanded his previous orders.

DrThoth and zeebza like this.
  18. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Well, here's a random announcement, I shall eventually start a re-read and count how many snu-snu offers Paul had (half-hearted or not), but not now because I am looking at the renegade. Also BTW, did anyone notice how many broken links do the earlier eps have ?

Ardy and zeebza like this.
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The average number of words per update in this thread is about 1207, and the average number of words per threadmarked post in the story-only thread is about 1333. There are 2686 posts in the story-only thread. This puts the total at about 3.3 million words, give or take a couple hundred thousand.

It's inevitable. We point them out when we find yet another link that's broken, and Zoat tries to find replacements.

20. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Last I knew, canon was that his cover story was that he was an extreme sports junkie (particularly downhill skiing), but not very good at them and had a habit of racking himself in accidents on a par with the legendary fall of Vinko Bogataj, resulting in the scars.

21. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

That’s probably because the people writing these stories are for the most part not interested in nuance.
    The closest thing I can come up with (and I haven’t really plunged this site very thoroughly, either for this kind of story or in general) is Indulgence (an R34 Economy story set in Worm, by Ina_Meishou, in case you haven’t heard of it). It’s not super long, and it’s not super complete, and I’m not linking it here because I’m not one hundred percent on rules about linking NSFW on non-NSFW sub forums, but in case you don’t know it, you should find it on this site somewhere.
    EDIT: I double-checked the rules, and it is apparently indeed allowed to link NSFW on SFW if you mark it well. So, in that spirit: NSFW, adult content and questionable morality, ho: check out Indulgence here. It's an okay story, if you're into that.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  22. Mr Zoat

As I understand it, linking is fine as long as it's clear that the link goes somewhere NSFW.

23. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat Why is this Paul's Ring so much more eloquent than those of other Pauls (except Grayven's Yellow one)? And it says it doesn't think, but it clearly intuits what questions to ask to make its point and also catches the differences that matter more to baseline humans than whatever other minute consequences the serum must have had on Paul's thought processes.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Fellow like this.
  24. Gladiusone

Gladiusone Well worn.

So is this Paul taking the Timberwolf serum from BtAS? One of Bruce’s friends, an athlete, wanted a steroid that was undetectable. It let him train harder than ever before ... but there were side effects. Psychological and emotional at first (standard roid rage, etc) then physical (think werewolf).

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

No.

26. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Mr Zoat said that he was leaning towards evil serum as the explanation.

27. Maxx Crowley

Beyond all the personal utility and fun super strength can give you..."good enough" can get you killed.

Now, I know nothing about this formula this Paul took, so I can't say.

But have a Kon level of Super human strength or higher would have really been helpful to OL when...

1. They all got mind-fucked and OL spent all his ring charge thinking it was dream.

2. Truggs took his ring, and only some fast talk saved him from Bane.

3. He took his ring off to take a crap, and the Elemental Androids attacked.

4. Klarion fucked with his ring, and OL was reduced to trying to shoot him.

Not for nothing, there is a reason Sodom Yat is such a powerful lantern. He has a power ring AND the powers of a Kryptonian.

Sure, skill in important, but there is a level of sheer power that overcomes all of that.

Now, I barely know what is canon in DC anymore (I don't think they do either) and I know people hate him (And I get it) but...

Superboy-Prime has ZERO skill and ZERO tactical ability, and is usually in the middle of a freak out or temper tantrum.

And yet....and yet not only can he beat the Anti-Monitor TO DEATH with his bare hands, he can take on EVERY SINGLE DC Hero AT ONCE...and be winning (He's done both).

Why? Because he has the power of SILVER AGE Superman.

Silver age Superman being THE single most powerful character in all of god damn fiction I'd wager.

Unfortunately....it seems this Paul seriously fucked up his scientific method...and now bad shit's gonna happen.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He definitely was also not paranoid enough.

Trusted the ring to not fail him, trusted the serum or potion after only doing animal testing.

Even a young human knows better that to trust something that just had animal testing and no human testing.

Even with the ring amplifying his desire to be superhuman; he could have copied metahuman powers that are genetic.

DC has a few natural born human psychics for example.

And as those depend on DNA and not on Souls it would have worked.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  29. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Any engineer (not that I am one) will tell you that redundancy increases the security of any system. And in DC-world, where the bullshit grows plentiful and you always have to be on the lookout to not be Worfed to show off how cool, smart, and handsome the new BBEG of the week (do not steal) is, you want to grab as much security as you can.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  30. Maxx Crowley

And lets face it....OL's ring has been getting worfed for a good long while now. I'm at the point that, post him going ham when Adom's country was attacked, that I'm surprised when his constructs actually work.