1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Gee, what's this infografic, from the first link?

[​IMG]

No, I'm no expert. But, it's insanely obvious they're pushing HARD. That is always risky.

2. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

It has already been laid out for you how it's not what you think. Did you not read that or do you just prefer pessimism?

3. Simonbob

I read it.

Given you didn't look at what I put up, I guess I shoulden't have.

I'll say it again. Not an expert. I just think you're wrong. 'Talking out your ass', was it?

Don't bother to try to convince me. I'm not really interested. Your anger tells me everything I need to know about you.

4. rocket501

rocket501 Versed in the lewd.

This chart is a little out of date and mostly covers the old-fashioned way of making a vaccine rather than the more modern mRNA techniques. Also, the numbers are suspect.

Discovery is a bit of a crapshoot, just digging deep into literature and theory to find all approaches the researchers think might possibly work. Most aren't ever a serious probability and will get internally eliminated before you ever hear about them. If anything, this chart could literally show 1,000,000+ options for this stage as some of the initial narrowing of things down is done automatically by computer with humans being more involved with some of the more promising options.

Preclinical is also messing around in the lab and you are unlikely to hear about that as well, unless we are talking about a novel approach such as mRNA.

Most vaccines' fail Phase 1 not because they are harmful, but because they don't appear to do anything or the trial is inconclusive. The same is true with Phase 2.

While a few vaccines are suspect, both of the approved ones in the US are solid products that have been well-reviewed and I'd be entirely confident in taking.

5. MadGreenSon

I'm not angry. I'm not even annoyed. It's just, the vaccine is a variation on one they've been working on for most of the 21st century thus far. Your infographic was very straightforward, most of that work has been ongoing for about fifteen years.

6. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

It's a hypothetical, not based on actual numbers... which is why it doesn't contain any. Believe it or not, I tracked down the references.

7. Simonbob

The tone sounded very agressive. Enough to piss me off in return.

I came very close to saying something like "You sound like a fundamentalist being questioned about why their faith is wrong."

Ok. That's more understandable. There'd still have to be corners cut, and you told me of one in your rant. So, yes, I'm less worried about it, but I still think it's not as safe as something less rushed.

A while ago, I was working in a factory, and a guy under time pressure, who'd done well for years, cut his fingers off. It made an impression on me. So, now I worry a little more about such things.

8. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

The thing I don’t get is that your own infographic goes from 20 in Pre-Clinical to 10 in the “is it safe” phase of Clinical. That’s 50%. Which means even if it was accurate, it’s completely disingenuous to use the 99% failure rate as justification for safety concerns. Efficacy concerns maybe, but we know it’s effective.

9. MadGreenSon

I'm not too worried about it personally. Everyone I care about who's likely to die has already died. I'm too poor to get the vaccine very soon, so I'll know one way or the other before I get it and I am not relaxing vigilance until six months after I get it anyway.

me-meboi and LurkingInTheDeceit like this.
  10. Simonbob

My folks are 80, so in the danger zone, but, well, Mom's gone, mentally, and Dad doesn't care. He'd rather die with his wits.

I'll wait a few years, and see what happens.

11. Aleh

We have new details thanks to released court documents. He is, apparently, an avid conspiracy theorist of the "Doomsday Prepper" variety... and, of course, included antivaccine screeds in that.

Let me add that the idea that an mRNA vaccine like this can mutate DNA is biologically implausible. It makes no sense, and, if somehow true, would utterly upend our fundamental understanding of how cells work.

12. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

13. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

14. Aleh

Yes. The COVID vaccines are many things, but they were very much not developed in a basement lab by a one-armed doctor named Connors.

15. evildice

The "m" in mRNA is for messenger, and angels means messenger, therefore every shot contains an angel.

Fight crazy with superior crazy.

16. Valikdu

Valikdu Not too sore, are you?

Well, I had my 1st shot yesterday and felt like crap for most of today (37.6C, flu-like symptoms), better now. 2nd one in 3 weeks.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  17. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

That's fairly common with any sort of shot. I had it with my final HPV injection.

18. Aleh

Believe me, you are not the only one to think that way.

19. Knightfall

Knightfall Nui Harime lover, Cynic, and Archivist

Well my mother was exposed because one of the teachers she works with came in fucking sick. Fuck the New York educational system, fuck it so hard. They should have been exclusively remote at elementary school level but I guess the parents can't live without their fucking glorified daycare.

Xicree likes this.
  20. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Are you a parent? Because a lot of people actually do have to earn a living in places where you can't take children, or else starve themselves and said children.

21. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

This is no excuse for endangering the lives of others. A sick teacher will potentially expose other teachers, children and parents.

22. Knightfall

Said teacher tested positive today, so my mom is wearing a mask around the house.

Xicree likes this.
  23. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Ah. The First World doesn't know how easy it has it. And boy it shows.

Repse Krad Eht and me-meboi like this.
  24. evildice

25. Knightfall

Listen I've been stuck in my house for almost a year the fact that it took me this long to develop cabin fever is kind of surprising.

Xicree likes this.
  26. Aleh

I don't normally follow -- or care about -- sports news, but Karl-Anthony Towns just tested positive for COVID.

He has already lost a total of seven relatives, including his mother, to the plague. Think about that for a moment.

27. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

Doing new tasks that can be done at home is hella relaxing in this kind of time. Reading physical books, watch films I usually don't, finish my games, redecorate the house interiors, and learning more cooking recipes helped take my mind off large-scale things.

28. Aleh

Antivaxxers just gathered at the entrance to a major COVID vaccination site in LA -- the center of America's currently-largest COVID outbreak -- protesting the vaccines with enough vitriol that the place had to be shut down for an hour or so... much to the frustration of the people who were waiting for the life-saving shot.

I... genuinely lack words.

Edit: Apparently, the specific trigger for the place needing to be shut down was the antivaxxers attempting to breach into the area where vaccines were actually being administered, presumably so they could harass and harangue the people actually giving the shots (and/or the people *getting* them).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  29. evildice

It's madness.

My inner ITG wants to post that the protesters should also be given shots (of the 9mm variety), but honestly they're not in their right minds and it's uncool to execute people who are effectively insane.

30. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

So as of about.... ten minutes or so ago, Western Australia has gone into lockdown. Apparently there is going to be more details on the news tonight so I don't know what is going to happen yet.

My job classes me as an essential worker which I am both glad and annoyed at. :V

Prince Chrom, evildice and me-meboi like this.