1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi's Own Adventures - CYOA-related snippets by Aoinfinity

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Aoinfinity, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Aoinfinity

Aoinfinity Unlimited blue works

I've wanted for a while to post a thread dedicated to general snippets, as I've seen others do, and almost all of mine are based on CYOAs so that'll do for a theme. So here goes, a thread for all the bits of fiction that I've posted based on various CYOAs! Furthermore, having a dedicated thread ought to hopefully encourage me to write more of these.

Some of the below work might be considered attempts to be at least halfway decent at writing, and others are just for fun. Kinks abound (this is QQ after all), but in keeping with the choice of subforum, nothing graphic. I am a bit nervous about making the full extent of my weird interests publicly viewable, but overall this just makes more sense to post here since the vast majority of everything I write is work-safe (if embarrassing).

Expect more here when I find the words! (Elusive things, words...)

Leith likes this.
  2. Aoinfinity

Reserved for verbose index

3. Aoinfinity

Q: What is a FuAQ?
    A: It stands for Frequently Unasked Questions.

Q: Why have a FuAQ and not a FAQ?
    A: Because it's misleading. Many of the questions in a typical story or quest FAQ were never actually asked by anyone, but the author felt like answering them anyway.

Q: If it's "Frequently Unasked," why that capitalization?
    A: Because capitalizing the first two letters of "fuaq" next to a lowercase... Well, type it yourself and see how that looks. Yeah.

Q: What about {some particular question}? That one actually was asked!
    A: I guarantee you that out of 7.92 billion people and counting, more people have not asked that question than have asked it.

Q: Why even have this thread if it's so short?
    A: When I originally posted this thread, I intended for it to be a sort of archive of snippets 5-10 paragraphs long, that (as far as I then recalled) I'd posted with CYOA builds. After then going through my builds at that time, it turned out none of them, strictly speaking, fit those criteria. There was the first story posted below (that technically has over ten paragraphs, but only because they're short sentence-length pieces of dialogue), and then there were a few even shorter ones with one, two or three paragraphs each. I couldn't bring myself to post the latter, even in a snips thread. I was tempted to delete the thread at the time, but I left it up to encourage myself to post more stories that would fit those criteria. And lately I am planning to use it as sort of a links post for past builds whether I wrote anything in prose for them or not, because if having them all in one place doesn't motivate me to actually write about some of them, I don't know what will.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  4. Threadmarks: Kamitsuki-no-Usagi, Prologue
    Aoinfinity

I opened my eyes. An unfamiliar feeling above my head... Was it my hair? Of course that's my ears. Ears? I reached up to the top of my head and... Gosh, that's sensitive! I suppose, tonight was the night, then. It had finally started.

Nothing's started. This is the same as it's always been. The thought felt like my own familiar thought, but I knew better. This was it -- my second life. I couldn't afford to dismiss my first one as just a dream, even if that felt natural right now. I'd practiced for this.

"Clone," I mumbled to myself, invoking my most-hoped-for ability. Nothing. Well, it had been a long shot anyway...

Since I had fourteen years worth of memories, perhaps I would remember. What were my abilities? Depending on chance, I might have a powerful cheat, or a frivolous one...

However, none of the memories in the back of my mind right now implied I had a supernatural power on tap. Certainly, magic was a thing, but I was pretty normal. Hadn't I intended to test out the powers, see what I could do? My memories of my "old life" seemed to be fading, but I did recall forming the intention.

Then... had I forgotten? Or... I didn't believe it. I vaguely remembered a superstition in my youth, one of a young girl's quiet dreams.

It was a bit odd feeling my thoughts turn naturally to myself as a young girl. But of course. What else would I be? If there was something else, it was escaping me... certainly I must have been a girl when I was younger, even in my "old life." If it's real.

No, that's not what was important. I need to try my power, especially if it's Clone or... save.

I can't remember.
    What had I just now been thinking about? Something about a dream? A dream where I'd been planning to live two lives, switching between them at night. My "first life," the other one, would swap out with my "new life" whenever I went to sleep, and vice versa. I chuckled. A dream about dreaming. How ironic. But there had been something else I was thinking of too, some superstition in my childhood thoughts that felt eerily close, something about nine cheats.

Cheats? In the dream, it had been cheats, but the word meant something like a magic power. How odd. I wanted to remember what I'd believed in my childhood, not the dream last night... Something about needing to experiment to see what cheat I had? Although, weren't there nine specific abilities?

No, that's not good, I'm getting the dream and my memory confused. I don't know why I really cared, but I was awake before my sister, which hardly ever happens, so I may as well use the time to think while I pretend to be asleep. So, back to my childhood ideas. I'd had this odd notion that time was forked like the branches of a river, except instead of flowing together into one stream it branched into several as it flowed. Like a river delta, I supposed. And I would have the ability to travel between the streams, to take a point and Save--

What was that?

The clear memory of a deal with a literal devil came rushing back into/out of nowhere into my mind.

Overpowered Isekai CYOA build

The above snippet is how I might react at first to the memory of my part-time transmigration, when suddenly in the midst of fourteen years of more familiar-feeling memories.
    original story post

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021