1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Tumeke

Tumeke Getting some practice in, huh?

Why make a better broom when you can teleport?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Teleportation, or apparation, is not completely safe.

There is the risk that they may lose a limb.

Plus they may also fly for pleasure, like how some people drive cars for pleasure.

Also brooms can be seen as status symbols, like how cars are seen in our world.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...That didn't take long at all. I wonder how the Prelate took the revelation. :p And how long it took her to come to after blue-screening in shock? She probably spent a few minutes gaping like a fish, I bet...

After all, you're getting what you want. The fact that it benefits all Martians is just a feel-good bonus. I mean, this was building for some time... Better that it pass peacefully than have a popular uprising break out...

Looks like some of them are very happy about things. I'm impressed that they're so determined to leave that they'll walk.. or at least fly at low altitude.. across the surface.

This must feel like all his birthdays have come at once, and he's getting all the presents ever. ;) Or just one big present that he's wanted his whole life.

Until he makes an appearance for real, no-one will know for sure. But I don't see him waiting long. Not now. Can you imagine the shock running through the ranks of the Hyperclan?

Be honest, OL. How many times have you left a system you find undesirable intact upon leaving?

This might well be a new record for you, OL. Just hours to reveal the truth behind a systemic racial caste system, with what boils down to three words.

To be fair, he probably just wants to be away from that place. I doubt he has any pleasant memories of his home town, and the Whites seem to be able to handle themselves from here.

Good to see he at least recognises that the Greens weren't as monolithically racist as some might have thought. I hope...

And if he comes home to a Mars that's in much better shape than he left it, then all the better. But if it isn't, of course he wants to be prepared.

...Okay, wow. I think he might have been more successful with his recruitment drive than he thought.

A bit hard to follow... They're off to Earth first for acclimatisation and training, then to Colu for their first operation? And then to Maltus to join L.E.G.I.O.N properly? Or Earth first, then Maltus for training, then Colu for the first job?

Even that many will be useful for the operations against the Computer Tyrants... The fact that he has so many more is going to be gravy.

Because OL is going to be quite busy for the next few days, playing FTL tugboat?

...OL, he's just had the foundation of his entire religious system shaken like a 9.5 earthquake. And he's not the only one. Can you imagine what J'onn and M'gann will say when they hear this?

Before anyone comments on his terrorist backing... <looks at thread> Ah, too late. At any rate, I doubt anyone believes that the Karmang the Hyperclan mentioned is the real deal. Until he shows himself publicly, that fact will be up in the air.

That would be Angelika, yes? I suppose they have something in common, at least.

That must have been one loud broadcast for OL to pick it up this far away...

Let me guess, B'enn B'lanx having opinions about future workmates?

:oops: Ooooh, awkward...

...Understated as ever, OL...

Or did you expect to just go in like a sledgehammer?

Boy, this is going to be a problem, isn't it?

You have to admit, Martians faces are definitely made for scowling.

Looks like his desire for more power overrides his anger.. for now.

At least B'enn gets to see that the Reds won't be getting preferential treatment... Also, that Red sounds like an asshole, this could get more awkward...

Looks like B'enn will get to experience some vicarious revenge through seeing the Reds not having their asses kissed.

Well, Mars isn't on fire yet. :) So everything went better than expected. It still remains to be seen what part the Hyperclan will play in the cultural uproar... But I suspect that will play out off-screen, since OL has more important things to do...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Can't play quidditch by apparating.

Along with the difficulty of apparating, uncomfortablness of side along apparating making it not ideal for taking kids along, the fact that apparating is blocked on Hogwarts grounds and presumably other important institutions, the danger of splinching making it so that some might just prefer a broom, that portkeys have set conditions for their use and only go to whever the key is set to, and finally because floo powder is both limited to plays connected to the syatem and consumed in transit.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  5. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

If they're worried about looking cool they should have used surfboards.

Does OL at least send notes back to Eris to let her know he's causing enough trouble that she doesn't need to nudge him?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he wanted some of the Reds to bleed, but he will most likely settle for this.

Several times actually.

There are probably several systems on Earth he finds undesirable, but hasn't really changed them.

They may believe it now.

Hell it's possible the Hyperclan also didn't believe it and just thought he was some crazy guy claiming to be Karmang, but went along with it since he gave them powers.

He may actually be fully accepting of equality, but he may not like someone acting like an asshole to him if he hasn't done them any wrong.

7. PJCG

PJCG Getting sticky.

You guessed right. There are comfort charms. I think I saw a pic where it looked like an invisible cushion?

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  8. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

An invisible whoopie cushion to be precise. They tried their hardest to remove it but it turns out that bug feature forms the basis of the enchantment.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Not going to be permanent homes?

Then again the whole sentence is wholly complete and correct I am just unsure if my brain parsed it correctly the first two times and as English is my third language the issue may be on my side.

. M. M.

Come on Paul you have to be there when Apa and guy show up, it's your responsibility to be around as it was you that called them to show up in front of the council to give testimony... And I can already see the fundamentalist branch of the council or the hyperclan switching targets to Apa now that they know Karman was white and their entire system is in shambles as neither of them have much of a reason to exist anymore.

Edit: The derail about Harry Potter has gone long enough and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this fic nor current events happening in this ficm

10. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Nah, permanent is being used as an adjective here.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe Apa will show up in tomorrow's chapter.

Or Tangseid will make his final appearance for this episode.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, what does Tangseid actually stand for?

Tangerine Darkseid?

As for Martians: wow that was quick. Telepathy is sure useful.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's the nickname for the character, replacing the Dark for Tang, something closely connected to the color Orange. It was the nickname that fans, and I guess Mr Zoat, decided for him.

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I was going to skip it, as it doesn't involve anyone being told anything the audience doesn't already know.

15. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Who knows. Maybe Reds and Whites will find a common cause in trying to set Apa on fire? It would be a shame to skip that.

Cuchulin, Doccer and Ardy like this.
  16. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Is anybody expecting there to be problems on earth with the Whites going there? I know in DC canon, Hyperclan did some shenanigans there. Considering the damage Paul's Earth took in the war, I hope (and don't expect) that to happen.

Interested to see M'gann's reaction to all this, though.

Gilhelmi, Doccer and Ardy like this.
  17. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

At this rate Paul is going to have a reputation similar to the Doctor.

"You're just saying that because I'm British."

Almost forgot about that, so shall I get you a scarf and some jelly babies?

"I don't think I could Pass for the fourth doctor."

Yeah you seem more like a 9th, Nice to meet you Lois I'm the orange lantern run for your life.

"Let me guess Eris sent you."

18. init101

init101 The Prime of Primes

In the Quidditch Throughout the Ages book, you find out that there is a comfort charm that makes it feel like you're sitting on a cushion.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Surely the SI is more like the 7th?

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

To Quote the 10th, "Not many men can carry off a decorative vegetable."

Sadly only got to know it from new who onwards in these parts.

21. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

For good or for ill, this is more or less exactly how Superman would "solve racism" in a two or three part story published in DC comics. So, you know, applause for fidelity to the source material.

22. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

sadly never got to see the episodes with the 7th.

23. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

Well... once perhaps... But he's had his Moment.

Now the SI is becoming something else...

Someone might soon come to realise that when the SI runs away, he's being kind.

That said I don't see him pulling off the brown pinstriped suit and sandshoes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  24. Laundromat2.0

Laundromat2.0 Getting sticky.

I... very much doubt that the racial issues on Mars are 'solved' in any shape or form. It's simply the end of Paul's involvement in the process. At least until karmang launches a coup and there's a planetary wide civil war. Then Meg'an joins the other side, her phenomenal cosmic powers and group of alien friends quickly throwing her into the position of a figure head, before she + friends clash with Karmang and his Hyperclan disciples in an all out battle for the fate of their species.

25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

It's more the reactions we want to see. And maybe the demands and/or offers of some form of restitution. And explanations on weirder details of ingrained color-related mental patterns.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn and Darko like this.
  26. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

And that ends racism forever

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I forgot. What happened to Karmang last we heard? Didn't he start a civil war in the other timeline? Was there an update on that?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Karmang's the one behind the Hyperclan, IIRC.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The answer is probably something like they had these three mental alterations they did, and didn't know which one was the best, and wanted to give the martians as a species the best shot at long term survival after the procedure, so they used all three in case there were long term problems hindering viability in some of the strains. So one or two if the strains could die out due to evolutionary pressure and the species would continue.

But there is also the issue of the mind blanking, were it seems they intentionally wiped the personality of everyone, and the only reason they even have a magical tradition, is it didn't take with one person. And maybe the racism came out of that, when one group was given an advantage over the others. Or maybe to would/could have happened anyway whenever one group became dominant over the others.

Because like someone else said, with telepathic memory sharing it's rather unlikely Karmang got painted red and the whites made out to be racially inferior except deliberately.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

How likely does anyone think it is Karmang is quietly standing in line for transport to the LEGION ship as an unassuming prospective recruit, because he agrees with the concept of 'give them time to make good on their promises, while the whites are gaining advanced military and technical training offworld to make a revolution much easier is they fail to deliver' and wants to learn some of those skills himself?

See about integrating magic techniques with their training, becoming familiar with the methodology the white cadre will all be trained in, build an off world power base away from the prelates, etc.

anirocks, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 7 others like this.