1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Almost certainly, it just wasn't part of a formal system of barter. That said old stone age people and stone age farmers did trade over long distances, in act it's thought that a unwillingness to go the extra mile for better stuff is why our Homo erectus went extinct and modern humans ability to create trade networks is why we won out over Neanderthals.

MechaNova likes this.
  2. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Norway!

Srsly, how dependent is the world of middle eastern oil? Plenty of places have their own oil fields and refineries, and AFAIK more oil has been dug up than can actually ever be used as fuel. (plastic and lubricants, OTOH.....)

Wouldn't the destruction of stockpiles and removal of competition just reinvigorate other places?

MechaNova and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Basically, they can either have empty desert or a place with people and resources. Naturally, neither want the booby prize.

4. Threadmarks: Meanwhile, in Universe 534834 (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

15th October 1992
    08:59 GMT +8

"Yeah."

I flex my newly-reconstructed left shoulder as I take a moment to look around the blasted remains of the Mandarin's fortress.

"That… Yeah."

I don't really pay attention as I remove my ersatz personal lantern from subspace and tap the ring against it for the charge all of the charge mine minemine-!

I drop the lantern, the steel knocking a chip out of the stone as it clatters to the floor.

Too much. Much too much.

I drop to the floor, my environmental shield fritzing as fear overwhelms desire.

This isn't working.

I've been umming and ahing about whether getting training was a good idea. I know… That in the comics, Hal Jordan got training from Sinestro and Kilowog ended up as the go-to training instructor… But when I used the ring, it all seemed so instinctive that I thought… Okay, don't rush into anything stupid, but I wasn't sure that I needed actual training. Creating constructs wasn't a problem, flying wasn't a problem, and once I tracked down a lump of rock the ring told me it could use to recharge I thought it would be best to work on my own.

Then it was just a matter of picking a target.

Not something political. Not Genosha, which is keeping up appearances on the international stage at the moment. Magneto is apparently keeping his head down as well, which didn't leave that many international fugitives. Then I read an article on a painfully slow loading nineties internet page about Tony Stark's kidnapping, and the various internationally wanted criminals clustering around the man who captured him.

Perfect. How hard could it be to find a green-skinned man with a goatee?

Not hard, not hard at all. But the basic idea of sniping him in the head… It turns out that fighting veteran supervillains is a good deal harder than I'd assumed. And my own lack of.. control…

I walk over to where the Mandarin disappeared in mid air, along with several of his henchmen. A small amount of blood…

Huh. I didn't think I got through his defences, but…

I crouch down and-. I generate a construct hand and use it to pick up a neatly-severed green finger, ring still attached.

I should probably scan that and see if I can find out how to operate it, but I think I'm a little too overwrought at the moment to want to do something that difficult. I'll just stick it in a pouch for now.

Right. Training. I've got no idea what S.H.I.E.L.D. is like in this continuity and… I don't feel like going through an actual boot camp and then… Taking orders, killing people I don't have anything against or any of the other things that comes with being in the military. And that only leaves one obvious choice.

14th October 1992
    19:12 GMT -5

"Heeello?"

I frown as I hold the construct phone to my right ear. I don't recognise the voice, but there were a lot of X-Men in the comics and I only know a tiny fraction.

"Is this the Xavier Institute?"

"I sure hope it is, because if it isn't, then I've broken into some rich guy's house."

"If the door was open then it's probably just 'trespass'. Um. I'd like to talk to someone about taking classes?"

"Oh? Ah, okay, sure. Let me just go find the Professor."

"Thank y-" There's a quiet thud as he puts the phone down on something. "-ou."

Right. Nineties. Phone handsets with wires. Hover wheelchairs… But phones with wires. I mean, we could probably have built… Some sort of ionic wind wheelchair in my home parallel's nineties, if you didn't mind powering it with overhead rails like a bumper car. Or a mini-hovercraft if you didn't mind the noise. But I've got no idea how Professor Xavier managed it.

"Good evening. I'm Professor Charles Xavier. Morph tells me that you're interested in receiving instruction."

"Yes. Ah, I… Thought that my control was pretty good, but…"

"You shouldn't worry. Many mutants whose powers have recently activated have difficulty in exercising precise control, particularly under stressful circumstances. May I ask how old you are?"

"Twenty nine."

"I see. And how long have you had your powers?"

"About a month. I've got the basic.. use.. down, but as you said, under stressful conditions I get a bit erratic. And since I fully intend to get into stressful situations, I think it's probably a good idea if I get training from someone who knows what they're doing rather than risk things getting out of hand."

"That's very wise. But a month ago? Most mutant powers activate in adolescence. Are you certain that you didn't manifest your abilities earlier, perhaps at a weaker level?"

Right. Ah, yes. I should probably.. be clear now. I'm not sure how he would respond to the idea of teaching someone who isn't a mutant. I remember that in the comics he was happy to take in Machine Man but I.. think I remember something about him rejecting Power Pack due to not being mutants.

"I don't actually have an x-gene."

"I'm.. sorry, I'm not sure that I follow."

"While there are a lot of people who get unusual abilities from an x-gene, there are plenty of people who have unusual abilities who get them from somewhere else. The obvious historical example being Steven Rogers, whose enhanced strength and endurance came from an injection."

"Well… Yes, I understand that unusual abilities can come from a variety of sources. But I'm afraid that my specialty is genetics and, specifically, the x-gene."

"I understand that. But really, what's the difference? How would you help a mutant with control issues?"

"I would.. study how their ability functioned…" I hear a quiet but amused exhalation. "Yes, I understand your point. I would have to at least start in the same place with anyone who manifested unusual abilities, and identifying for certain whether a person with special abilities had the x-gene or not would take months. But I do want you to understand that some issues experienced by mutants aren't comparable to people whose abilities come from other sources."

"Of course, you're the expert. When can I start?"

"Since you're an adult, there's no need to restrict you to the normal school calendar. And if you're having control issues it's probably best to start you sooner rather than later." I find myself nodding. "Are you still in England?"

"No, no. And I can afford to remain on-site full time. I'm available whenever you have an opening."

"How soon can you get here?"

"About eight seconds?"

"Ah. I should have asked-. No, perhaps it's better that you show me your abilities without having your preconceptions cloud my observations."

"That.. sounds sensible."

"We have a room available now. If you arrive this evening we can begin work tomorrow."

"Thank you, Professor. I'll see you-"

Move.

I appear in front of the mansion in a flash of orange, right arm raised to wave to Professor Xavier through his office window.

"-now."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Finally, some good content from Marvel Comics. I'd just about given up.

[​IMG]

6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not a fan of the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon at least?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'I've been'

'I crouch'

'little too'

'with being'

'intend'

'take'

'to the normal'

This reminds me of another Lantern SI Marvel crossover story, though that just featured a few snippets with a Red Lantern that went to Xavier's, the main SI was Violet.

8. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I was just making a joke at Marvel's expense.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is this intentional?

Because if not then the 14th of October should be first.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Time zones.

11. DrThoth

I forget, which Paul met with Magneto in the forest to discuss Sublime and anti-mutant prejudice? This one or the EMH Paul?

12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Not in de slightesht bit intereshted in dot vorld. Hy vatched some uf it, bot by de kessel, it vas not my cop uf tea.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it was the EMH one.

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Oh Gods, yes! This is the best thing I've seen in a while! The X-Men Animated Series was my favorite of the Golden Age of Animated Shows.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  15. DrThoth

The 90s show was sadly a bit before my time, though I caught a few snippets here and there. Is there a Paul in the X-Men Evolution continuity?

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and moralrelativity like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hmm, a guy with a power ring powered by a psychoreactive energy that makes people crazy with desire getting tutored by a world class telepath with a bunch of repressed negative thoughts.

Am I the only one picturing Onslaught coming in bright orange?

Pinklestia, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 7 others like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

From the context in the chapter, this would appear to the the 90's Marvel animated universe. That's the X-men, Spider-man, Iron Man and Fantastic Four cartoons. Quite the Nostalgia trip! Da-da-da-daa-da-dah... Da-da-da-daa-da-dah!

"Well... That happened."

Ooof, I see he's having trouble fighting the harsher effects of the Ring. Guessing he hasn't hit on meditating on the hierarchy of needs, nor has a group to align them with?

At least he's able to knock the ring out by being afraid of it. Though it was a risk doing that in an enemy base...

Turns out it's not that easy, is it? And having a strong focus just makes it easier for the Orange Light to overwhelm you...

So, sometime before the X-men animated series begins. And the nineties internet? Man, it's be quicker to just scan the servers directly than rely on then-current speeds...

He had a passive shield, didn't he? The Cartoon mandarin was no fool, despite his obsession with Tony 'Iron Man' Stark. Heck, is Tony even Iron Man yet?

Ooo. A gross trophy, but a nice bit of loot. I wonder which of the Ten Rings it is? The right one, like 'Lightning', can serve as an additional power source...

SHIELD in this universe? Practically a spy agency, and led by the very white Nick Fury. Also something not likely to be talked about on the nascent internet.

...oooh... You know, OL could be a big butterfly for the X-men... There's a significant early loss in the opening episodes...

Heck, at this point, it might still be the 'Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters'. Such an old-fashioned name...

Best way to go about it, I guess. Just turning up on their lawn is likely to get you tackled by Wolverine.

No cordless phones yet, remember? I doubt anyone here's too young to remember those days...

That is one of the odder things about the 90's series. In the comics, they didn't get things like the volumetric-3d-and-forcefields Danger Room or the hoverchair until after they made contact with the Shiar... Bu that's several years down the line from this point. Maybe Chuck knows Reed Richards?

Come on, don't claim to be a teenager... After all, the X-men do have older members, Wolverine amongst them.

Phew. No pressure to remain with teenage allies means no lying about his age. Yay.

It's not impossible that a mutant would activate older. Magneto, for example, didn't activate his powers until his twenties, due to childhood malnourishment owing to his time in the Concentration camps... Unless you forget to mention the fact your powers come from an alien hyper-tech ring...

In theory, Machine Man (X-51 or Aaron Stack) was technically a mutant of his kind. Even if that kind were android soldier prototypes... Whereas Power Pack only had powers because of their alien clothes.

Heh. This simple application might well encourage Xavier to open up his school to mutates, super-humans and other people who gained powers from means other than purely a quirk of DNA.

Ah, base logic. What does it matter the source of powers, if the person with them wants or needs help?

It's not like Mutants automatically know how to use their powers straight off the bat... A power ring, on the other hand... Basic use is easy. Not going nuts from the outlier colours of the Spectrum? Much tougher.

You never did mention where he's calling from, did you? Not that it matters, with FTL transition. I assume he's got that much down at least...

No sooner said, than done, really. Joy of an ability that works at the speed of thought.

Of course, Paul here knows more about Power Rings than Xavier would...

Ah, good. Now, I doubt we'll get a meeting the Team scene here. Far too many things to do...

And Xavier just crooks one of those spiky, spiky eyebrows in curiosity...

Ah, the best kind of nostalgia bomb... X-men, both the Cartoon and the comics (More 'New Mutants'/'X-force', because teenagers) were a big part of my interests back in my teenage years... It'll be interesting to see what events he manages to change in his time with them...

I've got no idea what S.H.I.E.L.D. is like in this continuity and…
    But I'm afraid that my speciality is genetics... (Not sure if this is intended or not...)

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, we know he's at least been kidnapped.

I honestly didn't know Fury was originally white for several years.

Granted I started getting into Marvel due to the movies and I guess Samuel Jackson left a big impression.

Fortunately he won't.

I think he may have actually activated his powers when he was a child but didn't further develop them until he became older.

Though I could just be mistaking the movies and Evolution canon on that to be true to his comic self.

He probably assumed England due to the British accent.

He may meet some of them in the next chapter.

Cuchulin, anirocks, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Actually, the nineties series happened when superheroes were still allowed to be superheroes. I don't remember that version of Xavier showing any of the psychosis or, frankly, the arsehole tendencies of the comic version.
    And The Incredible Hulk.
    Yes, but he hasn't been doing it for very long.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Are you sure about that one?

20. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So could somebody just plunk down five bucks and claim it?

Relyt33 and moralrelativity like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

The only teenager on the team in the nineties was Jubilee. And... Bubblegum. Ew.
    Yes
    Why would you need five bucks?

Realistically, you've need to live there for years and build something.

22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Did Adom build a new temple for his Gods and try to spread their faith again? He is literally proving his Gods exists just by existing.

After he saved his country from the Sheeda they must have gained at least a thousand worshippers by default.

23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

wouldnt that depend on how his technopathy worked? if it was magical then i would understand but i dont know about something based on pschic power or just really advanced tech...

Relyt33 and moralrelativity like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Mr. Popo can best describe this.

Seriously though, I only started being interested in Marvel after the movies and I tended to focus on the new stuff.

25. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

honestly sam plays the shit out of fury. so much so that i wish they would retroactivly make him african american in the comics.

protoss16, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:oops: I'll be honest, I forgot that was a thing...

So, some time before the series proper, as that showed him with a full team...

I stand corrected.

Doccer, zeebza and moralrelativity like this.
  27. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Hey they're releasing some pretty good comics. Like, uh... And, um...

I guess Conan's kinda okay?

I'm joking, it's fine if you like their current books. But seriously, "Gwenom vs Carnage" is one of their offerings this week. Gwenom. People got paid to come up with that (not much, given what I've seen of current rates, but some).

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

than -> that ? (if 'than' is correct then you probably need a correction further down the sentence)

29. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

This. I want more of this.

moralrelativity likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

You get used to it.
    If I remember correctly, his son with the same name has dark skin. Also, the Ultimates version pretty much was Samuel Jackson. He himself references it in the comic.
    Thank you, corrected.