1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If I had to guess it's just ring translation making it that, but it could just be a part of their standard lexicon. Who's to say with an isolationist alien species really?

ChestBurster, WhiteNoise and Fellow like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  3. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

"Reasonable Aliens? Quick, everyone! Take your cyanide tablets!"

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul: Gozzi, get outside the ship.

Gozzi: Why?

Paul: Just get outside the ship!

Granted she's probably seen something like that.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

This is genuinely interesting. The more you know

ChestBurster and BartlettMagic like this.
  6. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

now that that's out of the way: i always enjoy the orange light "you can be in my cult if you want" negotiations that follow

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  7. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh, their philosophy might be like the Liir from Sword of the Stars. Our civilians are peaceful and have never known violence, we permanently exile those who have been exposed to violence so that they can enact our wars. Such people are considered dead from the outset. We can't allow anything to return to contaminate our peaceful culture with violence.

8. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

What does this mean? The Leentniar pirate captains and their crew? Are substantial non-Leentniar crews normal?

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

10. Threadmarks: Back Door (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

9th July 2012
    06:58 GMT

I nod.

"Then we have an agreement in principle. Now, implementation. I assume that your masters will want your military forces to check the system before moving your civilian population there?"

"Yes."

I could send Lantern Gozzi, but I… Think that having the two of us stick together is a better idea. I don't think that the Leentniar are planning anything foolish, but it's best not to give them a target just in case.

"In the interests of avoiding potential misunderstandings, Lantern Gozzi and I will accompany you. We will communicate our accord to the neighbouring systems-" Not 'neighbouring' in the sense of being next to, but in the sense of being in the same general area. "-and ensure that no one troubles you."

"Acceptable. I will convey that to the Fleetmaster."

"Before.. that. I can't help but notice that you're unwell. Since it's now in our interest that your people survive, I'm happy to include medical technology in addition to the ship designs without extra concessions on your part."

That seems to make her uneasy.

"I would not want to extend my own life at a cost to the Leentniar. If there are other technologies-."

"This is non-transferable. It really isn't in our interests to generally give you technology when you're not using it for us, but medical technology allows you to maintain your population more efficiently."

"Then we accept."

"Would you like to be treated first? You don't look well."

"That would be a wasteful allocation of resources."

"What, you expect someone else to volunteer for 'dealing with aliens' duty? Aren't you already, by your standards, contaminated?"

"I was expecting to die. There are others with more vital-."

"But I'm not offering it to them. We Orange Lanterns are, I'm afraid, pernicious individualists. I'm genuinely curious about what you'll choose. Do you want to die because you're contaminated and can't live with the self-doubt and disgust, or will you live because you don't want to deprive the Leentniar of whoever would need to be exiled in your place?"

My eyes are glowing as I lean towards her.

Looking at her like this is fascinating. She doesn't know how she's expected to answer. She's trying to work out the right answer, images of her teachers, family members and inspirational figures flashing through her active desire network while I watch. She wants to be right more than she wants to live, and she's more worried about getting it 'wrong' than about dying. Which could be a problem if I intended to give her a ring. Although in a purely industrial setting she would probably be useful.

"Or have you realised that what would help your people most is getting hold of an orange power ring and learning how to use it?"

"I don't… I haven't-. What do you want in exchange for giving one of us a power ring?"

Ooh, so close. She appears genuinely afraid of taking something for herself. Let's see if I can break through that reluctance.

"Do you want to live?"

"I… Don't. I don't have any strong attachment to my own existence. I live to serve the Leentniar. I die to serve the Leentniar."

Drat.

"Okay. But how does that apply here?"

"I believe that I should ask to be healed."

I reach toward and tap my fingertips against her forehead, a wave of orange passing through her body. I still have a bit of a problem with idealised forms when I do this… Though I imagine that most people don't consider it to be a 'problem'. Maybe I should have looked into her species' standards of beauty, but some things translate reliably between humanoid species and… She's going to be an ambassador anyway, so there's no real problem.

"That alright?"

She takes a moment to evaluate, rolling her shoulders and taking deep breaths.

"Did you remove my medication?"

"It wasn't healthy for healthy people to have that in their system. I'm a little surprised-" But only a little. It's a bit of a shame that there isn't a colour for communalism. "-that you were still upright."

"This meeting did not require me to walk." She moves her legs slightly, her additional muscle and fat mass making a posture with legs further apart more comfortable. "Are you prepared for us to move now?"

"Are you prepared to keep living now?"

"There doesn't appear to be any immediate benefit to my death, so, yes."

"Excellent. We'll speak again shortly. Lantern Gozzi, with me."

I turn away from their diplomat… 'Outward-facer', and walk back towards the exterior exit. Lantern Gozzi follows me, and a moment later I hear the sound of the armour plug sliding back into position along its rails.

Ring to ring.

Compliance.

I thought that went well. Chance of a backstab?

Low, I should think. I think I should say that just before we boarded I calculated the power you used to disrupt their singularities and gravity drives. I have been underestimating you.

With power rings it's not a simple energy output calculation.

The plug clunks into position and the air is drawn out of the room.

And always remember that my power output is something that any other Lantern can equal, you included. Actually, most do, though only in short bursts.

Were you considering their diplomat for a ring?

Yes, but I don't think she'd be a good fit. I'll take a look at the others when we get to their civilian fleet and try and find someone who thinks in the right ways there.

The outer door opens and we fly out. I take a moment to release my grip on the fabric of space-time as Lantern Gozzi and I fly in the direction of their new home.

"Orange Lanterns to Ambassador. Please pass on the destination to the Fleetmaster in order for it to be relayed to the rest of the fleet. We will wait for you there."

"I will comply."

"Lantern Gozzi, in your own time."

She glows and then vanishes, and I take another moment to look at the ships. Some visible wear, but from an external position they seem to be in good repair. I assume that they only use them during major offensives, but I'll have to ask the Masters when we visit the civilian fleet.

Then I turn away and warp out.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Should be 'Chance'.

ChestBurster, Mr Zoat, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  12. Assblaster5000

'What would help your people' I believe.

'Change' -> 'Chance'

ChestBurster, Mr Zoat, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  13. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

Should be wear.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I am.

'your'

Or accept help from an alien.

'have been'

15. Assblaster5000

Geez OL, pushing a little hard there aren't you? I get that having more people join The Snek Cult Of Best Girl The OLC is important, but I don't think there are many species that wouldn't find that creepy.

16. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

You know, used to be to use a Power Ring you had to exhibit Great Will/Rage/Hope/Love/ or Inspire Great Fear...and orange is supposed to drive you batshit insane, and indigo brainwashes you though that's likely by design of the staff rather than the Indigo light itself...

ChestBurster, Vaermina and MechaNova like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, still a little business left to handle here, I see. A few last details to hash out...

Indeed, they haven't really done anything to show their trustworthiness yet.

Make sure no-one tries to poke the sleeping bear, eh? Or takes exception to their new neighbours.

Huh. I guess she's accepted the reality of her death? Respectable, but wasteful.

In other words, shut up and accept it. Is that so hard?

A masterwork of understatement. I'm guessing she looks more like a chemo patient in a spacesuit...

In the face of that, what's a little more 'contamination', after all?

A clever way to frame the question. Given the clear focus on value to the whole, it's going to be interesting to see her desire networks in action...

And as useful as Lanterns are in combat, some just aren't suited to war. So it makes sense to recruit some gifted with construction and rebuilding, to fix what the warriors break.

Especially since that would basically mean a lifetime's exile, given the 'contamination' it would entail...

Now, for most other races, that would be an easy question...

...But here... Well, their devotion to a collective whole seems to make them less suitable.

If only to prove that these aliens do have their best interests in mind.

So, most people he's healed come out with a free beauty treatment on top of the patching up? Amusing image...

Betting she hasn't been able to do that without pain in a long time...

Hmm... Compassion, maybe, or a tint of Love? I mean, there's conceivably a shade of emotion for anything... We only see the big seven because Canon.

OL, getting just a bit pervy there. Keep it professional, man.

So, no Leentniar Lantern just yet... It would take a fairly aberrant mind by their standards to be a good Lantern, I think.

Time for a private chat, eh? Wonder what Gozzi was making of all that...

Underestimating him is easy to do. He looks so unassuming, doesn't he? Then he busts out a shield big enough to cover a planet, or tears apart artificial singularities and you remember why he's the Illustres...

o_O So, how much charge did it cost him? Even with three or so rings to provide extra capacity, that must have been a toughie.

Again, you'd have to find someone with even self-interest to look beyond the crew, and be willing to surrender themselves into exile... I doubt most would fulfil those conditions...

Interesting. Showing them a modicum of respect by trusting that they'll comply. Given they probably realise that he's capable of carrying out his threat, I bet betrayal would be a hard sell...

Letting her have a headstart, eh?

And the leadership goes 'Are they gone yet? Thank the homeworld...'

Couple more chapters seeing them settle in, I suppose, to finish out the episode. Assuming nothing goes wrong, like their neighbours refusing to play nice, or something ridiculous like a giant planet-eater rolling up... ;) Still, OL has it covered, I think.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The indigo brainwashing seems to just be the result of giving a ring to someone without empathy.

People who already have empathy don't seem to have any problem remaining themselves psychologically when getting an indigo ring.

Likewise the Star Sapphires have no trouble brainwashing people to join their ranks.

So some rings need compatibility, other rings make compatibility.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this fic on SB in which the ring used joy and was teal colored.

Murphy lover.

20. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Their mentality reminds me of Pierson Puppeteers if anything. Pretty exteme xenophobia, ambassadors being effectively insane/sucidal exiles and all that.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Ah, the bunnyfic.

22. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not going to lie. I was expecting her battle royal collar to go off after OL healed her.

ChestBurster likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Collars? How primitive.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

25. Mr Zoat

Um. The original idea was that it would happen long after the end of the story. The Renegade decides that demons offer absolutely no value to anything and decides to do his own Harrowing of Hell.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So he goes Doomguy on them. Nice.

27. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i know with their isolationist tendencies that his probably wouldn't happen, but it would be cool if the Leentnair, with their need for a new home and apparent talent for the shipbuilding industry, would make a perfect crew for Ranx.

28. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

To be a good Lantern by Paul’s definition of it, a ‘normal’ Leentniar Orange Lantern would likely function quite well as the protector of their people because that is all they want to do, to serve.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat nerfed Ring requirements... A lot... And removed most of their downsides...

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Leentniar, in multiple places

That wasn't the requirement to use a power ring. That was the requirement to attract a power ring. The strength of your constructs is also based on that qualification, and failing to maintain your focus on that emotion will disrupt your constructs.

What the main character of this story has observed is that while having too much greed does make you a ridiculously powerful Orange Lantern, it also makes you -- as you correctly point out -- crazy. So instead of sending orange rings out into the universe to automatically seek out powerful bearers, he's taking matters into his own hands and finding recruits that are suitable not based on their innate strength of avarice, but based on being in tune with their ambitions so that they control their avarice instead of being controlled by it.

A Leentniar Lantern would work just fine. A desire to be helpful to one's people that's stronger than one's own desire for self-preservation would be a valuable mindset for a military-oriented Orange Lantern. The problem with this particular candidate, I think, is that her desire for self-preservation is too weak. She wouldn't be driven to uplift other people in her kind of position, which is what OL was hoping for.