1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

... Yes, definitely not a good thing.

2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Correction:
    me -> be

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'they chased'

I'm reminded of this Marvel comic in which a group of aliens try to steal Earths culture through a techno-magical device to stop the Zenn-lavians from completely altering it.

Though I don't think this group has such noble intentions.

Oh dear, looks like he's starting to lose himself.

No you don't.

I get the feeling this has something to do with him basically ordering them around.

'I-Illustres'

An amnesia episode.

Qwa-matter is really fucking disturbing.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sounds like he got made into a construct.

Now we get to see him spend a chapter reversing it and come out with a power up.

Of course, the real question here is whether he will extend this new construct turn back into people ability he gains to all the other construct rings.

5. BlueMangoAdea

If he was a construct, all his words would be orange. So he's not a construct.

boo600, GodKiller999, Sojiko and 11 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I'm a bit worried of him deciding to indulge in his desires all willy-nilly due to his soul.

Even if he lost his enlightenment, his soul may still be a piece of the Ophiduan, a.k.a the Embodimenr of Avarice, so now he has literal avarice as his soul, but lacks the mindset for self control.

I'm also kinda getting the feeling that we'll be seeing the White Light in the next episode.

I think Zoat said that it would be used to bring someone back to life, and Gozzi did say that he's dead.

7. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

So what you're saying is that it's time to break out the words of numerous wise people throughout history?

Ah shit, here we go again.

8. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

so can someone explain what qwa matter is exactly?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Some sort of extremely destructive and dangerous energy used by the Qwardians.

It's probably connected to the Anti-Monitor, who they worship.

It has religious significance in their culture.

10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

As I understand it it's basically anti-matter's bigger, angrier sibling with some kind of connection to the Anti-Monitor, so it could be something like weaponized entropy knowing comics.

Edit:Reading the DC Database page on Qward doesn't offer anything on the substance sadly, so My rough guesstimate above is the best you're going to get out of my I'm afraid.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, that's about the reaction most people who know what Qwa-matter is would have.. In the moments before they cease to exist... I'm picturing something like the anti-energy seen in 'Crisis on Infinite Earths', the energy that erased universes from existence...

That goes without saying. I'm reminded of Incompatible System, where Humanity's Weakly-Imteracting-Massive-Particle-based techonology has very.. Energetic reactions with Element Zero (of Mass Effect fame.) Think far in excess of matter-antimatter annihilation reactions...

Oh, shit. That's not good... Because that's connected to him...

Not going to help, I think. From what little I could find on this stuff, it's nasty enough to hurt pre-Crisis Superman. :eek: Pre-fucking-Crisis Superman!

Now I get a feeling of what Dox saw when he went full informational against Grayven-16. Too much to comprehend, all hitting at once, so much so that all thought is pushed away...

:confused: Okay, that's fixable. As long as he's not dead-dead...

...So, he's half the man he used to be? <ducks!>

Oh, hell. If this shit is doing this to him, the Leentniar ships are already ash! I think their species just became endangered...

:eek: ...Shit... Oh, this is bad. I know this won't be fatal, we've seen future OL still running around a thousand years or more from now... But...

Is he picking up on the Desires of one of the Leentniar leaders? It must be.

Crud, I hope the Ophidian's Heart has a backup-restore feature. Or we could be facing an OL having to start levelling from scratch in the middle of an Epic Campaign... Which aren't very kind to level 1 PCs...

At least some primal part of him knows to avoid the Qwa-matter...

So, he made it into the Honden... But left behind most of himself. Cruuuud....

He's not even separating himself from the Leentniar desires around him? Man, the Qwa-matter was basically a level-drain effect...

But at least he remembers that he should resist impulsive behaviour... Not acting on every thought or want that crosses what's left of his mind...

And still reasonable about his views. There's hope he can rebuild himself, then.

Fascinating that he's weaving the desires within the Honden into a new form. Assuming that's even what;'s happening.

...Is it better to have lost, and not remember, than to have lost and know what you've lost, in the hope of regaining it?

A tangled skein is man, woven of many thoughts and feelings...

Ah, the most primal of questions. The foundation of sapience...

Heh, there's something familiar to everyone.

The question here is what's going to happen, if he's rebuilding himself solely of Avarice? That's basically the state of being the Ophidian enjoys, isn't it? Is he becoming a second Embodiment?

Friendship... Fellowship... The In-group...

Come on, OL. Pull it all together...

I know, right? How rude to be butting in on you putting yourself back together, like a jigsaw with no picture to follow...

At least he still wants to help people...

Sounds like she's holding what's left of his physical form together? At least she's able to keep her focus despite the surprise.

And now I get the feeling of a Timelord regeneration scene... And oh shit... His Enlightenment's gone? :sneaky: Wait was this so you didn't have to do coloured quotation marks anymore?

Huh. I suppose this might be one way to scale back the power-creep OL has been experiencing... I have the feeling next episode will something akin to him rebuilding himself from other people's desires toward him... Or at least seeing him settle into a new status quo. Pretty likely if he can't regain his former level of power, he's not going to be Illustres anymore...

...but I think the initial wave has passed me-.
    Double Space.

12. transhumansage

and who was the guy paul was talking to on the reach side last chapter? he just started talking out of nowhere, no intro or anything.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My guess it was either a Reach commander, or maybe even a Qwardian that was sent to help the Reach.

The Qwardians may still be pissed at Paul, and Kalmin once talked to him from another planet in a way that suggested he wasn't communicating through the ring.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, I think an alien ally of theirs said that some amount of it can destroy a solar system.

Most likely a powerful elemental.

Is magic.

Though seriously hoping this involves the White Light.

Renegade got better by having several elements get rid of his problem, so maybe it's time for Paul to do the same.

Are you suggesting that Zoat is so petty that he would make his MC experience amnesia just so that he doesn't have to spend time making the quote marks orange?

I can see him doing that.

Future versions of him are enlightened and he is the Illusters, so this isn't permanent.

Most likely we'll be seeing him regain his former self, either by White Light, or maybe Kalmin can help, as he's probably an expert on this stuff.

Granted Paul may be the first person that's survived this and given Kalmins 'moral code' he may not want to do it since he views it as sacrilege.

Two more chapters, which may be renegade focused, and one final look at Xaul, and we go to the next episode.

15. transhumansage

i missed that part with the qwardians, what did paul do to them?

ChestBurster and moralrelativity like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He attacked their city, played a role in the death of one of their warriors and helped Kalmin, who probably wasn't all that liked.

He also made them look bad, and the xenophobic Qwardians don't like it when an alien does that.

During a diplomatic conference they sent one of their warriors to attack the people there, so they were pissed.

17. transhumansage

he should have destroyed their home planet.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, but unlike the Citadelians, these guys are extremely advanced and have fought Lanterns before, so they may have been able to actually do some damage to him.

As we saw in this chapter, qwa-matter is no joke and they have a lot of it.

19. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Considering "factory settings" for Paul are "not having a soul," that wouldn't be great.

I wouldn't put it past qwa-matter to be able to damage/destroy souls (I'd be more surprised if it couldn't), which means... Are Paul's tattoos gone? Because that wouldn't be great, either.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not even have a body anymore, so yeah they're probably gone.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I suspect he's using orange light to fill in for the bits of his brain that got melted by qwa-energy.
    He couldn't keep up with the speed at which it was being destroyed fast enough to maintain data integrity.
    Big chunks were lost and the orange light is keeping his body running in spite of the damage.

22. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

23. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I really like this chapter, but I have a feeling I will hate the inevitable recovery and power up this will result in. Permanent identity loss would be a novel way of giving a character a makeover without pushing the reset button on the universe multiverse as a whole.

24. BlueMangoAdea

Novel, maybe. But I don’t think (pretty much) killing the protagonist and replacing them is a great idea?

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Zoat's interpration seems pretty clear to me: Qwa matter attacks on a conceptual level, it destroys the very idea that something could exist.

Which could make spiritual entities, New Gods and avatars both less susceptible to it or more, depending on interpretation.

He was in the process of stepping out when the wave hit. I think this is what made it into the Honden. Normally this part would protect the rest of him from destruction.

The question now is how much information can be recovered.

His self seems to be mostly intact, meaning his soul probably is. Reconstructing his body from genetic data and old scans would be the easy part. The problem will be detailed memories.

I would recommend visiting Hades, memory and forgetting are huge parts of it

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's because Zoat made up the term.

What the thunderers of Qward use in the comics are qwa-bolts, powered by Q-Energy.

Thrown and melee weapons that can cause explosions, disintegrate, or generate intense heat, and a threat to lanterns and kryptonians alike.

Which is ironic, them being thrown weapons, considering Paul likes to stick his nose up at archery, which is generally a step up from thrown weaponry.

Im still hoping that a Paul runs into Deadeye, the Qwardian archer. The "trick arrows" of a Qwardian ought to be extremely nasty.....

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

Hades can now give souls more power so they can act like they used to.

Though there is the possibility that due to his soul, Paul may not benefit like others do.

There's also the chance that what Hades does may not affect memories at all.

We know he can make souls more energized, but I don't think anything was mentioned of him manipulating their memories.

Their memories could have come with them.

Cuchulin and Handlewithcare like this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I meant the place, not just the god.

Afaik, several cthonian gods are associated with mental aspects, like the Nymph of madness Paul met.

Darko likes this.
  29. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Are you suggesting Melinoe is the right person to help Pavlos recover his... self? Why not call Eris as well while you're at it. Can't make things any worse :)

In fact, after this whoopsy, Pavlos should seriously consider leaving behind an up to date memory backup with Eris for safekeeping just for situations like this. /s

30. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i hope you're correct.

reading some of the discussion in recent pages about Renegade vs. Paragon has more or less made me realize my preferences.

i like Renegade. it's a mostly entertaining story that deviates from ring-based storytelling. i don't care for the pony angle. but, it's tolerable because Renegade isn't the main story and, more often than not, things make sense. i like the ongoing development of godhood and the spreading of godhood among the Renegade's people. i would like to see more about that. the effects of enlightenment on Artemis were one of the more interesting parts of their time in the Sheeda storyline.

i prefer Paragon. the concepts of the emotional spectrum and power rings have always been my favorite parts of DC lore. as such, i prefer it when OL interacts with those kinds of things (color users), but i also still greatly enjoy the magic stories, the stories about the greek pantheon, and other things that i vaguely know some things about. if there's some kind of 'hard reset' on OL here, i'm not sure how much longer i'll be sticking around. i've read every post since the beginning, and while i do acknowledge that it must be a challenge for Zoat to keep things fresh and moving, i would hope that we aren't to the point of reset just yet. there is so much more left that our delightfully overpowered OL can do with the story that's been created so far; there's no need to scrap all of that potential.

the 'offshoot' versions of Paul... well. i guess it depends on the backgrounds. i know nothing of and care nothing for Warhammer. but, i've been introduced to some really interesting lore, such as the Gates and the one whose name i can't remember, with superheroes (Wyrm?). so i guess that just depends on where we end up.

this is all a way of saying that i've been happy so far (lack of Lobo notwithstanding). i can enjoy the boat being rocked, but i have no desire to be dumped in the water.

but, in the end, my opinions don't matter in the least bit. roll with the punches, baby.

Ardy, quietwhile, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.