1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE CONTRIBUTION.
    I think those are fine.
    Thank you, corrected.
    *Pats American on the head in British.*

2. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

My understanding of it was that working magic in deep space required either the patience to soak up the low level background energy until it is at a usable level. Or bring your own power source with you. OL has brought a ship with mages onboard, who likely have their own power.

We'll just have to wait and see.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In Episode 99: Plutonian, Paul noted that the Star Conquerors were already close to finding a way to crack the problem that is using magic in deep space. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul gave that data to Dox to have their magicians working on how to do it reliably.

4. Frank Iannetta

Frank Iannetta Getting out there.

Also, the Martians know Dream as Lord L’zoril.

5. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Still waiting for infinite enlightened hondenporting orange spider babies to assimilate the universe.

6. Mr Zoat

Okay.

7. Sckarred

Sckarred Getting some practice in, huh?

"Among people in my line of work two deaths is basically what you need to be considered to have finished your internship."

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Um... no, Zoat's rules say that magic works less effectively as you're farther away from a source of arcane power, and that stuff with enough innate/imbued magical power will still function in space, though possibly diminished.

The idea that a group of researchers can go out to look for signs of magic seems entirely in line with established precedent. It might even be easier with less background noise.

9. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

Sorry, how did Gozzi make an exact duplicate of OL's body despite his tattoos? I'm aware that there are ways to bypass his tattoos for tactical purposes, he can be located by various passive scanners and he's obviously not innately invisible, but for the type of scans that would be sufficient to make a body duplicate, he should be immune to those.

10. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Easiest answer? Paul uploaded his own scans to Hinon's ring at some point as a precaution. Gozzi got the scans from her.

anirocks, ChestBurster, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  11. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

Also, while I'm here, was there ever any answer as to why OL couldn't recruit a human for the OLC, then dose them with the Garrick formula in order to make an Uber Lantern? For the main character, sure, he has weird soul shenanigans that prevent him from stomping every combat encounter, it's hard enough as it is to have meaningful challenges. But it's apparently extremely easy to make Flashes, and there's little existing reason why that person couldn't also have a ring.

Although it's already pretty hard to not have every fleet encounter go: OL teleports into Reach ship, dumps huge bomb out of subspace with a half second fuse, teleport out, repeat.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Firstly, there's a hard cap on how fast a construct can appear. A Lantern going at Flash speed is going to have the same problem as the SI sometimes does when he accelerates his thoughts; it's too slow. Then you've got the known risk of teh Flash-Lantern going orange-light-crazy and no one being able to stop them.

13. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

Also: a lot of idle souls nearby that could possibly be a decent anchor to the dreaming

ChestBurster, Xmaster3000 and Vorian like this.
  14. fappingtoyourpost

fappingtoyourpost Know what you're doing yet?

Souls fanonically continue existing in space, and the magic in this episode has all been soul magic facilitated by Paul's soul being made of orange light.

15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Small niggle.

Isn't Para-Paul's soul like...literally the Ophidian's heart?

Or did that change?

16. sourav chakroborty

sourav chakroborty Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

India is the 4th strongest military by the most recent estimate as well as the 2nd largest military by manpower. Its also 6th largest economy (5th before the pandemic). So India is disintegrating, but smaller countries like UK, France or Germany are ok?

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

If I understand correctly Pre-Merging, Pauls soul did exist as a crazy patchwork of energies being collected by his tattoos. Not organized into something that properly resembles a DC WTR soul structure, but was heading in that direction.

Post-Merging he had a full on soul made with the above, plus a LOT of orange light, that was Functional as far as souls went, but still rather warped by it's formation. This injection of orange light could be termed the 'Heart of the Ophidian' since after this point, when he felt very strong desires he would 'hear' a beating sound. How much of the Ophidian was left behind, and what the 'heart' of an embodiment of avarice really means, is currently not well understood. It's obviously not a literal heart, and it's clearly not her mind or any significant amount of her power, but it's enough of a tether to keep her connection to him solid, and allow him to speak with her and merge remotely.

My best Guess is that it could be a fragment of her soul, much like how Renegade Grayven gave a part of his own metaphysic to Lynn.

This 'heart' may, or may not, be directly connected with the OTHER side effects of the merging, his Enlightenment, which (aside from the coloured speech) deals with his knowledge and control of his personal desires. That appears to be a mental and spiritual alteration, which it appears that post Qward-matter bomb he's lost due to damage to his soul structure. The Last ability that came from the Merger is his ability to see emotions in others as coloured light. Pre Merger he could, with his ring, view some level of Desires in others. Post Merger, he was able to see with much more detail, and also see the other colours of the emotional spectrum.

Now....that Last bit....stands out. Post Merger Paul refereed to himself as a 'Metahuman' during talks with Harleen. Not Post Ring, or Post Tattoo. He has that ability independent of his rings. During that same talk he directly output information from his Optic Nerves to Harleen, so she could See her the way He Saw her.

EDIT: Back Here

Paul being from Earth Prime, as far as we know, doesn't have any native 'metagene' genetic abnormalities (nor an x-gene for the marvel pauls).
    But he describes himself as a Metahuman, and if he was able to show information from his eyes rather from his soul with Harleen back then, it makes me think that there WAS a physical alteration to some degree that came with the merger.

Since having his body reformed, we don't know the status of his tattoo's (he had repaired damaged tattoo's from attacks that have removed physical and spiritual parts of him before, and seemed to keep them active after robotizing himself during the war with heaven.) And we haven't seen him 'Look' at anyone since the boom, so we can't confirm he can still see the rest of the spectrum.

We don't actually know how much his Enlightenment and other Post Merger Abilities are linked into each other.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe she can do something similar with the Psion world and the place where Paul killed the Citadelians.

'you to'

'that is part of me'

Probably because they have no idea that if they die in space their souls are stuck there.

You have Kalmin for a red ring.

You know what, after the return to Qward episode he may have enough hope to make a ring for Kori.

Did Jordan fight Nekron in this universe?

In the previous chapters you wrote this 'qwa matter'.

War does change people, and the added stability may do you some good.

'It would'

Sorry for posting it before you put the chapter here, but I'm having internet problems so wanted to do this in case I lost the connection.

19. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

10th July 2012
    16:07 GMT

"…reviewed your tattoos, of course, and I'm familiar with the operating principles." Atlanteans take to space like fish to water, which is probably a racist thing for me to think. Doctor Wilsone is trying to talk me into taking things slower while her colleagues check the parts of the site that the L.E.G.I.O.N. salvage engineers have already cleared. With how space tends to insulate things 'ground zero' is more the centre of a small and very hot nebula than a patch of wreckage, so they're using wide-beam cold guns to turn the material into something that can be handled. "But even with a system designed to draw energy constantly, you can't just shove in more energy without preparation."

"Have you factored in the fact that we're not on Earth?"

"Of course I've factored in the fact that we're not on Earth! That's the only reason why I'm spending time working out how to do this rather than dismissing the idea out of hand! Empty space tends to be mystically inert but that changes the moment someone dies there. In the relatively small area around us we've got the free-floating souls of Leentniar and Reach crews along with the less well defined energies that make up you."

"Given that the Leentniar are a space-dwelling culture, I don't think we have to worry about their souls having significant arcane force. And the Reach have never been observed as having any magic users."

"So you.. want to just eat their souls?"

We may not be in Atlantis… And Venturia may not legally be part of Atlantis any longer… But I'm pretty sure the laws against harvesting the souls of the dead predate the Sinking. They might not be N.E.M.O. law -and given how assimilation works, probably won't ever be- but it's unrealistic for me to expect most of the arcanists we hired to be alright with doing things like that.

I'm rather pleased about it, actually. That even when they're alone in the dark some people stick to what they know is right. Without prompting, even.

"No, no, no. I'm on good terms with Lord Hades and I intend to stay that way. I've already called in Lantern Mother of Mercy. Once our researchers have gone through the-" Largely vaporous. "-remains of the ships in the vicinity of the blast, we can put a few symbolic pieces of metal into a funerary urn and she can-" Eventually, once she gets here. "-transport it to Earth. I just need you to accelerate the part of the process by which I reacquire all the parts of me. I mean, there's essentially no background interference here. Can you isolate the individual souls?"

"… Yes. Slowly. As you pointed out, there's no background thaumic field here, which means that the only energy that's available for use is what we bring here with us, or take from the souls of those who died here."

"But that's a practical concern, isn't it? You don't have a moral problem with ensuring that these souls actually get to an afterlife, do you?"

"No, no, that isn't a problem. I'm more surprised that most species don't ensure that happens without intervention. But that won't be a quick process."

"I'll be trying to speed it up with my own abilities."

Some of my abilities. I don't want to try finding out what happens if I convert parts of my own soul into orange light. I mean, most of it was probably made of that anyway, but the aim here is to get all of me back as close to as-was as possible.

I mean, that's-. I suppose it might be possible to use this as a opportunity to change my makeup a little. Absorb a little violet light from Carol or Ghia'ta, a little blue from Alan… And if Dox is still talking to Sinestro, yellow from there. But do I want to try… 'Re-specing'?

Alright, think it through. The two reasons which immediately occur to me for doing that are 'power' and 'psychological stability'. Giving myself a balance of the colours somehow would in theory make it easier to use a white power ring, and those are supposed to be the most powerful. Most powerful for non-omnicide-related purposes. But I don't have one. To the best of my knowledge white rings don't actually exist, along with red rings, so I'd have to find a way to make one exist. Hinon knows how I know about them and she'd probably say if there was a larger problem with a white ring being active.

But what does a white ring actually get me in terms of power that having a close personal relationship with the Ophidian doesn't? I don't remember enough from the comics to know, other than maybe being a Nekron trump. And Nekron hasn't stuck his head above the parapet since that Dead Zone thing over a decade ago. If Jordan could beat him with a single normal green ring then I don't think that I need to rush a white ring.

And I've got no reason to believe that it would have helped me stop an angel with the Source's own cheat codes or a massive pile of unstable qwa matter, so it wouldn't have helped with the things I actually have problems with.

So that's a no. No reason to do it for power.

That leaves psychological stability. I'm perfectly aware that my behaviour is… Off-kilter, shall we say. And 'was' rather than 'is'. It's interesting to think that so much 'normal' human behaviour comes from people just not knowing what they want, or hesitating to go for it. Or… Maybe that was me. Would 'balancing' myself help there?

Impossible to say with any certainty. What I can say is that my friends and colleagues have adapted to me being me. If I change that radically now, that's going to interfere with all of those relationships. And I was actually pretty happy being me.

I smile.

Who'd have thought?

"Recall."

Faint orange threads appear, flowing towards me from all parts of this volume of space. As they connect… Yes, that's-. Ah, yes, I remember falling over at Laserquest and somehow gouging a chunk out of my knee and needing to get a plaster from their first aider! And since I couldn't roll my trouser leg up over the injury I had to take them off in the restaurant. I still had the scar until I came here!

And more importantly, I can feel it… 'Slot in', somewhere, in my network of desires. And it seems like I'm back to being at least dimly aware of my own desire network, which rather suggests that I'm going in the right direction.

I think Doctor Wilsone is staring at me, and I can see the lights of her spell casting shining through her faceplate. "What did you just do?"

I wait until the last of the orange threads finishes merging with me before replying.

"I pulled all the bits of me that were orange light into myself. Did you learn anything?"

She waves her hands around in a pattern of gestures I recognise as the gesture-component of laboratory-grade psychometric spells.

"Yes, but if you've already reintegrated everything I don't see that it matters."

"No, what I just did only works on orange light. Because I-" I raise my left hand. "-have an orange power ring, I can manipulate it directly. It's all the rest I need your help to recover. I'm hoping that the orange parts and the non-orange parts have enough in common that you can corral the rest for me."

"It would have been helpful if you warned me in advance and let me study it."

"We.. don't really have time. I don't want to sound smug here, but I'm a vital war asset. As long as I'm fully fit, anyway. We need to patch me up as much as possible now, and if the rest requires a longer term study then… It'll get one, but it'll slip down the priority list."

"Illustres, there are reasons why I didn't become a battle mage."

"I'm not asking you to get into a fight-."

"And it wasn't that. Battle mages have to be able to make snap decisions under pressure. Good decisions. I like to ruminate. I like to give serious subjects the consideration they deserve."

"Then why did you come here rather than staying in Venturia and working on the Dreaming stuff?"

"Because I want to make some progress within my lifetime. And because when the throne asks you to do something, you do it."

"I… Okay. Look, if you want to go home I can tell King Cyprian that you don't have the exact skill set that we're looking for. That way no disapprobation will fall on you."

"Thank you."

"But right now, I'd really like my soul back. So if you have something that might work and is unlikely to do any harm, please, just give it a go."

"Alright. Let me talk to my colleagues for a few minutes and I'll see what we can come up with."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

does

I feel like this is going to take three episodes.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not planning on having it last that long.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Functionally Infinite Charge, the ability to bring the Dead back to life, no mind fuck, no elemental rock paper scissors weakness.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Not really surprising if you consider evolution.

Bascially every part of us humans is a good-enough compromise trade-off between time and energy constraints vs lack of information.

Or, simplified: we "buest guess" while trying to minimise effort. All the time.

Re White Ring: I find it odd he dismisses it so quickly based on power alone when his previous MO was "get everything, figure out uses later"

Dealing with the orange light already offered some surprises. The White Light might offer opportunities he simply can't see now.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Like trying to force the output of a fire engine's pumps through a garden hose, for example. Sure, it's designed to funnel water, but not in so large an amount or at so high a pressure... I rather get the feeling that if the same logic applies to OL's tattoo's, the results of rushing could be explosive...

Admittedly, such souls would be thin, reedy things, given the Leentniar's lack of planetary residence to boost their spiritual density. And the Reach? While I doubt any of the crews were outright capital-E evil, they were still the baddies, so to speak...

I can see that being a big old nope for the Atlaneans. But doing so would end up integrating bits of them into OL's soul, and I doubt he's got any desire to lessen himself like that.

For anyone wondering, that's referring to a quote from Buckaroo Banzai: The bad guy's leader is giving a speech to his followers which includes the line "Character is what you are in the dark!" o_O Not sure if it's quoting something older, but the more people who see Buckaroo Banzai, the better! ;) "Where are we going?" "Planet Ten!" "When are we getting there?" "Real Soon!"

I see they've already worked out procedures for this part of things. ;) Or they're just making it up as they go and setting some nice precedents.

I doubt the Leentniar have their own afterlife, at least relating to their fleets... While the Reach? They seem too materialistic to care much for what happens after they die (and presumably their bodies get repurposed, exactly how you'd expect...:confused:)

Care to explain that, then? For the peanut gallery, and the research thaumaturgists?

But would Best Snek still like the taste of your soul with all those nasty colours? You'd also be weakening a major war asset in the early days of the conflict, and possibly breaking multiple strategies Dox has worked out if you lose certain abilities.

Even if you made a White Ring and had the ability to channel the Light, I doubt it would work at all... White rings will only exist if the White Light Entity allows them to. And it acts only when there's an extant threat to itself, like Nekron trying to rip open its' nest inside Earth.

He's got a point. What if he had a white Ring then. Would the Qwa-matter rip along through the ring's connection to the Entity, and strike it directly? :eek: Goodbye all life in the universe!

Good to see he can recognise that his Enlightened behaviour was atypical for a normal human being. The hard part is knowing whether he really wants that clarity again. Sure, it comes with things like Greedporting and massive Ring focus buffs, but the mental effects, man...

I guess he does want Enlightenment back...Just a matter of the process involved in getting there. Will we see him create a ritual akin to the Green Lanterns' own, that forces the aspirant to confront all their desires, as he did so long ago, and accept them? Will any Orange Lantern have the courage to face themselves that way?

Typical, not even warning the mage he's doing something so they can watch and scan...

Not that you'd have seen it so clearly in the moment, I bet. Pain does wonders for messing with recall.

Ah, she wasn't completely caught off-guard. Wonder how many useful readings she'll got from it.

Wonder if that fixed the Honden up, or if bits of him are still mixed into the Leentniar's 'area'... It'd be interesting to see what effect that's having on them, I'll note.

Honey, does that look like a White Ring? One colour, not seven.

Surely you're used to the impulsiveness of the Orange Lanterns? Or do you simply not have much contact with them?

Wanting to stay in one piece, for example. I doubt a battlefield is conducive to careful, rational experimentation...

And that's entirely sensible. Things like this are not simple matters to unravel.

Ah. I can see that. Refusing a command like that might be bad for the career. Why, you might even miss out on Tenure! :eek:

But I'm sure she'll still prefer to continue her work on this subject. Just not in the middle of a battle...

I don't think they're going to need to rush. If they end up needing closer access to the site, they'll have to wait anyway...

Well, there's some surprising self-reflection on OL's part. Not that it'll stop him from doing what he wants to. And I've only just realised, the episode title: 'Anti-Thesis'... Is he going to end up turning someone's logical understanding on how things should work upside down, I wonder? ;)

Impossible to say with any certainty.

26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Necron >Nekron, think>thing

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He managed to charm one entity, maybe he can do it again.

I can see it.

28. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

What comic and issue is that? It looks like it could be anywhere from the 1960s through the 1980s.

nick012000, Cuchulin and ChestBurster like this.
  29. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

With the singular exception of the sod that got the slave ring, all iterations of Paul that were seeded across the multiverse are likely happy being themselves. Including the poor fool who overwrote his soul with Conquest and the moron who injected himself with evil.

30. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Now now. Just because people have adapted to Paul's odd behavior post-enlightenment doesn't mean they'd turn their noses if he acted like a more mentally stable person.

boo600, Ardy, Rebu and 3 others like this.