1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

It's interesting seeing Super Mutants who are in control of their faculties legitimately want to make more Super Mutants. I've always viewed Super Mutants as victims who are usually too far gone to truly understand their actions. Then again, my first serious Fallout experience was FNV when I was like 15 and I spent a lot more time talking to Lily then I did to Marcus.

Fellow, Ardy, AngelicKnight. and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The Shi invented that in Fallout 2.
    No. They were being created by the Master. The east west coast didn't have any 'wild' super mutants.
    Sterility wsn't intentional pre-War. They were trying to develop a cure for the New Plague and ended up with feature bloat once the military got interested in using it to enchance soldiers. The Master didn't even know about it.
    The first. The Unity of Austin was already part of the Texas Economic Union before it was conquered, and they were well aware that Keats peacefully advocated for super mutant conversion. While the old Republic of Shady Sands wasn't ever targetted by the Master's army, a lot of major settlements in the NCR were. Allowing them to start converting people -even volunteers- is not politically acceptable.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

So, since you aren't aware of what they are, Chojin.

Cazadores are Tarantula Hawk Wasps that have been deliberately mutated by a mad scientist, becoming enlarged to the point that they're roughly the size of a large dog. (Think a Great Dane.)

In real life, the wasp they're based on is the one that stings a tarantula to paralyze it, drags it to a burrow, and lays an egg on it that will eventually hatch into a larva. Said larva will then burrow inside of the tarantula and devour it from the inside, deliberately ignoring vital organs to keep the tarantula alive for as long as possible.

Despite this gruesome aspect of their life cycle, adults are actually nectivorous and will eat flowers and fruit. Hell, they're even known for getting drunk on fermenting fruit. They're also not an aggressive wasp species and it's rare that they'll actually sting outside of the whole egg laying thing. That being said, their sting is one of the most painful of all insect stings.

Of course, that's the wasp they're based on. Unlike the originating insect, the Cazador is extremely aggressive and quite happy to attack people in swarms.

Oh, and this is what they look like.

[​IMG]

4. Tembu

Tembu Trying to read here

Just realised this is a new branch story......

ChestBurster likes this.
  5. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Have you forgotten about the Institute super mutants? They were created by the Institute and released into the wild, and IIRC at least some of them managed to figure out how to "reproduce" by infecting baseline humans with their blood.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Sorry, got the wrong coast. That should have read west coast. Though in actual fact the Institute only started studying FEV in 2178, so there weren't any wild super mutants on the east coast prior to the Master's death either.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Incorrect, there were Supermutants around Appalachia due to a combination of groundwater contamination and other things.

8. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Do we have a timeline on Vault 87 super mutants?

9. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

10th July 2012
    21:23 GMT

That's five hours of my life I never want to revisit.

The sick bay of the Third Principle is a friendly blue colour, and I'm in what I now remember to be the passive mode I adopt when visiting the dentist while the ship's physicians and the Atlantean wizards try and work out how functional I am.

The lead physician steps away from the bed first. Since I'm not wearing my ring at the moment I'm getting everything translated by an earpiece. Which means that conversation is like listening to a dub; you hear the actual words being spoken a little before the translation starts to come through.

"You're as physically healthy as you were when Lantern Gozzi cloned your current body. I can't see any of the usual signs of dysmorphia or neurochemical instability. Though since your power ring will alter your body to however you want it, neither are entirely surprising."

I smile and nod.

"I don't suppose you've got any idea why I haven't recovered the abilities I gained from enlightenment, have you?"

"Spiritually inclined members of my species -the ones who don't worship demons made of eyeballs- can show altered brainwave patterns in some situations. I had assumed that 'enlightenment' was a sort of metaphor for extreme selflessness. I can show you how your brain patterns are different to theirs, but I'm afraid that I can't offer an explanation as to why."

"How about how I've changed from my own baselines?"

"If you wanted me to do that, then you should probably have visited a physician and got baseline scans taken."

Damn. He's right. I had plenty of data on my own physiology, but I kept it all on my rings. I never actually bothered getting any sort of standard medical assessment. Have to fix that.

"Schedule me one once I'm fully mission-fit." I glance at my new ring where it sits on the bedside table. "But once I take the ring off, any problems should start to show almost at once, shouldn't they?"

"Assuming that your body works like those of most humanoid species I've studied, yes. But as-" He glances at Dr. Damon. "-your fellow humans are demonstrating, that might not mean very much."

For obvious reason, Atlanteans don't really identify themselves as 'human'. I mean, genetically, all of them are at least somewhat human, but the term somewhat loses significance when you're talking about a man who looks like a shark with arms and legs stuck on. Or a man with dolphin skin stuck on, in this case. Mundane physicians can't really work on Atlanteans due to not being able to safely deal with the interspecies elements.

"Thank you for your work. And..?" I glance at the Atlanteans. "Metaphysically?"

They remove their hands or wands from my body. With my tattoos still working, any study of my arcane systems requires direct physical contact.

They look at each other as I sit up, then Dr. Wilsone shakes her head.

"You're more there than you were, but there's still a good deal missing. Working from Professor Sephtian's previous study of your soul structures I think that you've regained nearly all of the earthly magic you ever had. As much as you're going to get, essentially. But there's still only a fraction as much orange light as there was, and the complexity is massively reduced."

I nod. "In practical terms?"

"There's enough earthly magic that you shouldn't have to worry about the usual consequences of hollowing... Not that you did anyway." I nod. "You should be able to reproduce without difficulty, resist arcane influences and so on. The lack of some of your exotic structures might relate to your… 'Enlightenment failure', but… Atlantis doesn't really study that sort of psychological shift in the way we do purely arcane ones."

Dr. Damon nods. "And they're not about to start, despite the obvious utility."

I shrug. "Sorry. There are only so many researchers, and arcanotechnology is going to continue being my priority for the foreseeable future."

"I don't mind the official focus being on other disciplines; I mind being insulted when I'm pursuing valuable avenues of my own. Are you planning on attempting to help other Lanterns go through the same spiritual transitions you have?"

"Yes, that's what I'm trying to do with Lantern Gozzi."

"I'd like to scan her. To do a full longitudinal study of her spiritual and psychological shifts. It might help you handle future acolytes."

I nod. "I think that's probably a good idea, but she'll need to agree as well."

I hold out my left hand and want my ring onto my finger. Ugh, yeah, that's definitely taking more focus than it used to. Less than it did a few hours ago though, so I'm moving in the right direction. I send the earpiece to subspace as my environmental shield reengages. I open and close my left hand a few times before returning my full attention to the wizards.

"So is the rest just gone, or is it elsewhere?"

Dr. Damon shrugs. "I can only think of two places it could be, if it still exists. If it even makes sense to talk about it as an object. One is your personal lantern, and the other is what you call 'The Honden of Avarice'."

"I'm not sure where my personal lantern ended up."

"Where did you last see it?"

"I last used it on Maltus, but the subspace pocket I kept it in was tied to my first power ring. Which… Means that it either reappeared when my ring was destroyed and.. almost certainly got destroyed along with my rings, or it's still there waiting for an order to be released. Should be simple enough to check. Illustres to Lantern Gozzi."

There's a moment of delay, then her face appears.

"Yes, Illustres?"

"If you've got a moment, could you please check the place where I died and see if my personal lantern survived. It should be in a subspace pocket."

"At once."

"And thank you again for resurrecting me. Top acolyte marks."

"Ah-. You're welcome."

Her face disappears and I return my attention to the physicians.

"There's a ritual for making a connection to the Honden, and I know how to perform it, but… I'm not a natural for surviving it any more. I'll need all the same protection you used for the ships, and I'll need a thaumically active world to do it on."

Dr. Damon nods. "You've done this before, then."

"Not… Exactly like this, but yes." I float myself off the bed and onto the sick bay floor. "And since you're the elementalist, do you have any advice on how to approach the Ophidian?"

"You've already established a relationship with her, so it shouldn't be too difficult. She might rage at whoever harmed you, but since you want them dead anyway that shouldn't be a problem."

"But will she recognise me?"

He nods. "Yes, because your spiritual makeup is different and that's how she mostly perceives you. I can't be certain, but I think that she will. She knew you at earlier stages of your development, and your core drives are more or less the same. She might be confused about it for a few moments but I very much doubt that she'll see you as an intruder."

"And will she try possessing me again? The situation that allowed us to separate last time was a bit unique."

"Based on your history, I doubt it. Your reports said the separation was a mutual decision."

"Yes, but she really likes me. If she decides that it will help fix me, she might just do it. She's… Not a great long term planner."

"As I said, I can't be certain. But just in case, would you mind carrying some recording equipment as well as the wards? We don't get to record many instances of elemental possession."

I regard him levelly.

"Sure."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  10. Mr Zoat

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'members'

'all of the'

'avenues of'

Still pissed at Sephtian, eh doc.

'onto the'

'reports indicate'

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I like this guy. :)

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Looks like Paragon has completely forgotten the rules of the Evil Overlords list in his drive for power.

15. Pez

Pez Spaceman

If I really knew anything about Fallout and cared about those versinos of Paul, I wouldn't feel like this nerf is lasting too long. If the Fallout and Marvel interludes had been switched, I wouldn't feel so frustrated that this is still going on.

I'm looking forward to a merger with the best snek, and that's really the only snake I can tolerate him handling, and while I joked about Jade blowing up Reach suns (yeah, I know that's not her style), best snek would have no problem with that.

I mean, when best snek collapses the Reach homeworld into a series of five blackholes (because one isn't enough, and six is a waste of her time), they might learn that you don't mess with her boy toy.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, lots of poking and prodding with assorted technological and thaumatological instruments. I hope you're not stuck wearing the usual backless tunic they usually give people... You've had enough embarrassment for today (and it's a shame we missed the fun...)

Yeah, no Orange Lantern would ever be so much as one iota less than perfect health for their species, unless some physical trait is so ingrained it's part of their self-image....

"That's between you and your priest, I'll tell you now." :rolleyes:

Uh, OL, did you ever share your baseline data with anyone?

Well, that's one thing to bite you in the ass, eh? Lesson learned: Always have off-site backups!

Welcome to the world of Earth Bullshittm... One of the most physiologically diverse species in the universe, rivalled only by New Gods and a few others... Thank you, White Light Entity.

I cane see it... Things like skin capable of resisting the pressures of the Ocean depths, lungs able to extract oxygen from water and air alike, eyes able to see clearly in ocean depth or surface alike? Understandable, since they're apparently human-plus. Fully functional fish, cetacean or even crustacean bits stuck on a mammal body? :D Bloody wizards, no sense of right or wrong!

A minor inconvenience for OL. Little trickier for the people studying him, though. There's only so much space, after all. Maybe they can develop contact sensors they can read from a distance!

So... Best Snek took her heart back when he got Qwa'ded? Because that would be the biggest source of Orange Light i can think of...

Ah. So, his current soul doesn't quite have the right adaptors at the moment? Looks like he might need to get some upgrades...

For one thing, it's easier than more esoteric subjects. More fun, too.

Of course, now he has to work out how to do it safely from the same starting point. The last thing we need is Gozzi going Cake-Man on the galaxy.

See, OL. This is why you need to get regular check-ups. You're flying blind into some of the craziest parts of Orange Light Shamanhood.

Because if he's going to have to do the fleshy weather balloon thing again somewhere else, he's gonna need some time to work up to that, I think...

Probably smeared across the system with the rest of his Subspace stash, depending on whether he had it stashed locally or not.

Make sure to give her your Subspace keys. :p Don't want the pocket to go into security lockout mode...

I hope he didn't have anything else valuable in it... Can you imagine losing all your treasured stuff because someone wanted to play around with a substance that can wipe out universes in large enough quantities?

Teacher's pet. :p

"Eeee! Sempai Noticed me! ...Eh-hem. No-one saw anything, did they, Ring?" :oops:

Oooh, that's a big downer. Until he gets back in Best Snek's good books, he's locked out of her house.

As long as she doesn't go all Orange Twilight on the entirety of Reach space, at least...

Her reaction will probably be more along the lines of "My Agent! Who has scraped your paint job! I will destroy them!"

Only by introducing her to the concept of 'Do Not Want'. The question is whether she'd accept that excuse again.

Because losing a potential war asset and the Illustres of the Corps shouldn't get in the way of SCIENCE!

Be honest, OL: How many smart-arse responses did you have to bite back there? :cool:

Aw, we missed the fun part? Oh, well, I hope we get to see him calling up Best Snek and letting her get her righteous indignation on. Let's just hope that she does actually recognise him. Although it could be funny if she's fully aware of all this and goes "Wholeness Rightly Fucking Assumed" on his soul...:D With an admonition of "What took you so long, my Agent?"

Double Space.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I can see Ragnar and other warrior types leaving their scars on their bodies.

They're probably healed enough that they don't impede them, but they're still there.

Blame Ahri'ahn, the bloody bigot.

If they did I think they'll just decide they were mistaken.

It's just too unbelievable.

It's also why Clark's disguise works in a way.

I mean Superman, a godlike being with an ice palace, works as a reporter?

If you tried to tell this to someone in universe they may laugh you off since it sounds so absurd.

Now I'm thinking of the violet version in Twilight.

We both know he'd have asked a similar question to someone else.

18. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I mean, he did ask nicely.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

When Paul was enlightened he likely would not have been at all offended and in fact would have been the one suggesting it. No pause or glare.

21. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

That's how devious the Reach plot was. They blew up his memory of the Evil Overlords list.

22. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

What are you talking about now? What has Paul done/neglected to do that you feel is so disastrous this time?

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem with escalation is that it only works if you have the ability to escalate far enough beyond the other guy that there is nothing they can do about it.

Paragon can't.

The Reach can match Black Hole for Black hole, and now they have Qwa matter weapons which could kill Entities given how Zoat described Qwa matter working.

Okay, that's fair. :D

Evil Overlord List Number 28.

No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head.

24. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I'd ask for a second opinion :D

Wait a moment. Didn't Athlanteans look completely human under a ring scan despite having obviously non-human features? I remembered it because it was nonsensical.

Hah! They want to do Science! to him. I like this doctor person.

25. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Unless my classical education fails me, there's also one about how turning into a snake never helps. :p

26. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I previously predicted this would be about OL's Metaphysical state. I take that back. I think this is going to be about OL and Ophidi-chan's relationship.

27. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

More cake incoming!

28. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I'll be honest Paul, the author was getting pretty tired of your shit with the white color quotation marks. It was fine for a few thousand words, but it's been ages now and this one forum is really annoying to try to constantly fix all the tiny color issues.

Thankfully it's not so bad that he decided to flat out replace you completely with a different version of yourself, but just accept it as having been put on notice.

Please avoid special fonts and various colors for at least two to three chapters for best results.

Vorian, Ardy, azqs and 1 other person like this.
  29. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Oh, boy. Time for the Return of the Cake Man.

30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly? That's kind of how I expected all of this to end when it started. OL going to talk to the Opidian, and her going "What? No, that's all wrong."

And then just diving into him like a disgruntled plumber. "I just fixed this! How did you muck it up again?"