1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

On a funny games journalism related note, Paradox released an update for Imperator, a game set in the classical era, which it had codenamed Marius after Gaius Marius, because it was an update to armies and Gaius Marius was the man who oversaw major reforms to Rome's armies.. Rock Paper Shotgun decided that it was clearly codenamed for a football coach: Archive link to the article.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And in a hilarious display of lazy copying, other sites repeated this as well.

2. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

PLEASE tell me they're getting blasted in comments for this stupidity.

3. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

Am I missing something in Valheim? It mostly feels like Viking Minecraft so far. I'm running around hunting deer to summon the first boss so far.

zachol and Heaven Canceler like this.
  4. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Fuck.

A Season Pass is very much not a good sign.

Yeah, gonna be a long wait on that for me now to see is it goes full on retarded with microtransactions. Maybe for Christmas.

daimahou and Rakdos92 like this.
  5. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Say, anybody else ever play Monster Sanctuary? It's a pretty solid little monster collector rpg/metroidvania. There's a good variety of monsters with each species having their own skill trees so that and all the equipment allows for a good bit of customization for your teams.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  6. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Anyone else tried the Triangle Strategy demo here?

Boy are we in for something for story given what the demo has shown. And given it's the Octopath team making it, I have high hopes for the story. The branching of story may certainly offer multiple story paths here.

7. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

Someone made a song for PS5.

8. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Just saw some major updates on several game titles.

First off, in a rare show of intelligence, EA has realized that not only are single player games viable, but making all of the games a "service" was fucking retarded. Bioware has confirmed that Anthem Next, the promised reboot of the studio's...troubled...Looter-Shooter is well and truly dead with the servers being kept up as is for all seven of those still playing. But for good news, after seeing that their company's most critically and commercially successful game was the single player Star Wars: Fallen Order, EA has scrapped plans to make the upcoming Dragon Age 4 a "Live Service" game. Instead it will be what Bioware is good at, a narrative driven, single player RPG.

Moving to another bit of rectal-cranial extraction, Bungie put up a State of the Game address for Destiny 2 with a number of major changes that has fans cheering. To start, the controversial Sunsetting, the system of putting a power cap on gear acquired, is dead. From here on, any gear not sunset will be good as long as you want it with the sandbox team being expanded to handle balancing issues (expect Fellwinter's Lie and Warmind Cells to be heavily nerfed). Also, a promise of not only doing a major overhaul of PVP, including better anti-cheat and removing near cheat exploits, cross play with an opt-in for PVP, Master difficulties for Raids and Dungeons starting with the upcoming Vault of Glass Raid and a full transmog system including a much requested change to shaders back to their Destiny 1 setup. Even the announcement of the next expansion, Witch Queen, being delayed to early 2022 was tempered with the announcement that there will be another expansion post Lightfall (the original 2022 expansion) to act as a FF14 major conclusion to the current Light vs Darkness storyline.

And with Sony's State of Play, they made a big Final Fantasy 7 Remake announcement. Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming to PS5 along with a new episode starring Yuffie titled Intergrade due June 10th of this year. If you own it on PS4, the game and save data can be brought to the PS5 for free.

9. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

DA4 is still probably going to be shit anyway

10. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I see that you too get your news and your jokes from Layman Gaming.

Sweet. Would have preferred to get that Tifa chapter they cut but a PS5 version of FF7R will be pretty badass.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  11. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

Sadly a most likely because while trespasser really set up a nice little conflict to have in the end I honestly don't have much faith in anything new day Bioware is going to be releasing at this stage in the game.

12. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

There's no way I trust modern Bioware to make a game in Tevinter which is a shame since Tevinter is really cool.

heralding_bubble and Desalis like this.
  13. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE – PS5 Announcement Trailer

Renko and GiftofLove like this.
  14. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

heh, apparently at 2:15, and 2:34 Yuffie is called senpai...

15. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

16. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

17. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

GiftofLove likes this.
  18. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

Do you like Diablo 3? Do you want it on a portable system? If you can answer yes to both questions, then you have your answer.

Although if you want performance and/or graphics, and don't want portability (or already have a laptop), then I'd suggest getting it for another platform if you can; the only real feature the Switch version has that the other platforms don't is local wireless multiplayer.

Otherwise, it's simply Diablo 3, on the Switch, with all that implies.

19. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Then my question is: Is Diablo 3 worth getting? Like I said, outsider.

20. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

No.

So diablo 3, but with the lowest quality controllers Nintendo has ever produced? :V

21. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

The western ARPG question is still Diablo 3 vs. Torchlight 2 vs. Titan Quest/Grim Dawn vs. Path of Exile.

TBH, Torchlight 2 and TQ/GD are the only ones I've played (on Steam and they're both great). The Switch port of TQ is notoriously bad though.

22. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

You say that, but I find that the Pro Controllers hold up well (although I think they're not quite up to the standards of the beasts that are Wii U PCs). And yes, that was what I used to play Switch D3. The only other times I've played D3, I was using a 360 controller... because it was the 360 version.

23. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

So, got a new PC so I can finally play Cyberpunk- it was about time anyway, the old one was about five years along. Decided to go big and got one with an RTX 3080- pre-built this time because parts are flying off the shelves. Even the pre-built I had to put on auto-notify. Got an e-mail about it being in stock around midnight, woke me up- by 2 AM when I next checked- after ordering it- they were out of stock once more.

Game runs waaaay smoother. Not a single crash yet. Decided to start over so I could do the first part less frustratingly, so no new progress yet.

Having to go with Win10 had some frustrations- spent quite a while arguing with Dolphin over the memory card and figuring out that all the programs that will run a PS3 controller on Win10 are two years out of date at least, or take five programs and screwing with the registry. Then fought with Dolphin to see if the Steam controller would work- which it only did poorly because it's a shit controller. Then finally realizing that the PS4 controller will just plug and play, problem solved- once I fixed the controller settings for it. Steam took it too, after some finagling with settings, so that's good. Benefits: Dark Mode, so I'm not being blinded with whiteness. Audio auto-redirects when I plug my headphones in and when I unplug them, instead of having to fix that manually.

Desalis and Jace Spicer like this.
  24. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

Glad you have the new pc my guy, hopefully you get even more games to enjoy your time.

25. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Originally not really. But in it's current state it's decent. You don't really have to grind for good gear unless you want to since now the game is pretty good at giving you drops relevant to your class.

Velk likes this.
  26. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

A Legend of Mana remaster? I'll go get my hair sticks and incredibly arcane crafting systems! :V

Edit: Apparently there's also gonna be an HD LoZ Skyward Sword with optional button only controls. Not sure how that's gonna play out but it gives me hope that a Metroid Prime series port could possibly come to be.

Fenrisfir, Velk and Amazon Climber like this.
  27. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

I finished Outer Wilds for the first time earlier.

My god, that game is a fantastic mystery and exploration game I regret not picking it up sooner. I heavily recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

The soundtrack is perfect, I'm in love with the menu theme and the tracks that play whilst exploring and progressing the story add to the games atmosphere brilliantly. The solar system is a joy to explore and each planet adds something new and different, I think that Giants Deep is my favourite of the set. The art style is lovely, the slightly cartoonish style they have going on was an excellent choice and the games story gripped me and kept my attention all the way through.

Slight criticisms, the spaceship is slightly clunky to fly even after you get used to it. That's probably because it's a literal heap of scrap and alien artefacts taped together. Some of the puzzles were slightly obtuse and I spent longer than I'd like on the Interloper comet before figuring out how to progress.

All in all it's definitely worth a play.

28. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

I have seen a number of videos on Valheim and the appeal seems to be it being very polished for a Indie game that is in early access and has been out for like a month or so? It works, there is no real bugs that have popped up apparently, outside some performance problems if you play too long and check too much of the map. (But hey, it is out for like a month so that is not too big of a deal.) Has destroyable surroundings, lots of freedom for building and a pretty respectable if not particularly extraordinary fighting system. It just hits all the buttons of an exploration game with survival elements...

It was also built over 2 years by like 2 people with them only now really expanding the team. If I remember right, I read one of the two was part of a major game company, gathered experience, left to do personal projects and built this from the ground up over that time. Its a game that was made.. for being fun and as a passion project...

I really liked these two particular videos describing it. Honestly tempted to buy it even though I am not really that much into that type of game and don't do much online gaming anyway. It just sounds like a real experience...

Desalis and Derek58 like this.
  29. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Megalomaniacal Toaster on a Keyboard

Ya know, I really hope they let game companies have fun with the IPs they're given again

Make this the norm, not the exception

Bring back the days of letting games be easily moddable and you can play them your way instead of a one-and-done experience

Give us a serious story, sure, but then give us a sandbox where you can go "fuck it" and have characters that don't exist in the same time period start beating the shit out of each other for the players' amusement

doomlord9 and daimahou like this.
  30. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Got a new Evil Genius 2 trailer, this time for one of the new masterminds: Emma. A former spy-mistress, and apparent mentor for John Steele (who somehow survived the events of Evil Genius), who has gone to the dark side.

And to make things even more awesome, Emma is voiced by Samantha Bond who played Miss Moneypenny during the Pierce Brosnan era along with playing Lady Rose, the sharp tongued foil to Dowager Countess Violet Crawley in Downton Abby. Now I am hard pressed to pick which Evil Genius to play on my first run between Emma, Maximilian and BRIAN BLESSED!!!!!!!

Desalis, heralding_bubble and Derek58 like this.