1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Boy, this guy seems to be the driving cause behind a lot of bad stuff in the region... And I don't doubt that he started out with the best of intentions for his kind... Yet the fallout is still raining down years later.

Are they catching sight of different timelines? Because this sounds like something out of the campaign victory cutscenes posted earlier in the thread...

A nice peaceful retirement? In this universe? :p Isn't that against the rules?

Another possibility they're picking up? Did Krona's arrival and death knock the barriers between timelines lose, or is this something else?

Yes, I rather suspect that wouldn't have gone unmentioned...

Please, don't let it be time travel. Things are bad enough already.

Calling in others to strengthen herself? Is she tired, or planning something? Or are they pushing their way in?

I recognise the sound of that. The Super-mutant victory cutscene again?

I bet that was loud enough for even non-psychics to feel. They sound like they're getting desperate.

Which is the bulk of the Choir, I take it. Have to wonder how long some of them have been strung up there for...

So, are they seeing a 'truer' timeline, without Krono's interference? Or, to borrow a metaphor, are they seeing someone else's playthrough?

...Not sure what that has to do with anything. Are you going somewhere with this, Krono?

The hard part would be having the time to do so freely. Another reason to stop the Legion.

Sensible. But a pain in the ass. Maybe a hardline could be run down the corridors?

Not bad. A logical alternative to CDs, especially if they didn't have quite the same technological progression...

Better than the inevitable arguing about seat space or playing handhelds? I wouldn't know...

I doubt the cables would survive in the wild for long. Between rampaging predators, malicious bandits attacking work crews and downright inhospitable radioactive areas, it sounds more trouble than it's worth.

A vicious circle. Short of pushing it through with legislation, I doubt they could swing it.

Easier to see what matches than what doesn't? I suspect it'll be a depressingly small sample.

But is that now or then? Or a time yet to come? I mean, Krono did ask for something that could be, after all.

Yes, sometimes having impressive psychic powers isn't a good thing, eh, Krono?

Like I said, getting hit in the brain by a big DVD box-set...

Not nearly as powerful, I presume. A Psychic brute would be a scary thing indeed. hell, I remember a 'What If?' that asked what if Xavier had picked up the Ruby of Cyttorak and become Juggernaut. Like so many 'What If?' stories, It did not end well...

This is gonna suck, isn't it. Hopefully you're tough enough not to go all Scanners...

Well, you did ask for it.

Heh, mild super-strength, eh? Bonus of all those buffs.

Would be kind of embarrassing if your psychics inadvertently fried the brain of a foreign dignitary by accident.

Not that bad, then. Bet you feel like you need an aspirin. Even with a healing factor, that kind of mental stress would not be pleasant...

If that Super-mutant video a couple of days back was anything to go by, you're damn straight.

So, Krono knows he has to lead a coalition to stop all hell breaking loose, then. Better get to diplomancing the forces needed. Yet, he'll have to avoid weakening battlelines against the Legion. This is going to get messy, methinks...

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, it could work out. Most of the animals in the wasteland don't really seem to care all that much about any structures they come across, so that's potentially a non-issue.

Raiders... if you've got the infrastructure to build this kind of infrastructure then you've probably also got the things you need to basically hit the delete button on them as a threat.

The radiation issue could theoretically be solved with an altered version of RadAway, depending on how it works anyways.

I... *shakes head* No, I'd rather not talk about Galactus and Aunt May finding The Magic Space Twinkie.

Down that path lies only madness and tooth decay.

Edit:Fixed a small mistake.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I did not know that this existed, but now I do and my life has been changed forever.

Thank you.

4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So remember when TimeTrapper!OL rewrote the local multiverse so temporal changes didn't overwrite the main timeline, but instead created new branches? Could the Choirs problems be related to that. They have been used to seeing under the old set of rules for a couple hundred years, and now they are starting getting problems because they never had to learn to tune their reception that finely.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ah, so it's one of the Great Old One's sleeping beneath the earth waking up.

Well, you're fucked.

Gantradies and Relyt33 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

What?
    Actually, they're seeing a cancelled Fallout game and how it contradicts Old World Blues and the actual reality they're living in.

7. Assblaster5000

Welp, guess I'm talking about it after all.

There was a "What if?" story in the 80's or something that had Aunt May turned into a Herald of Galactus, and she proceeded to feed him every Twinkie on Earth to try and sate his hunger. That sort of worked and since all the ones on Earth had been consumed they went off to find more in space for... some reason that made perfect sense to them I'm sure, which resulted in Galactus eating a giant space Twinkie and saying he wasn't going to need to eat planets anymore after that.

I've probably gotten some details from that a bit wrong, but that was the story as I remember it.

tl;dr Marvel did a Twinkie ad in the 80's or something and Aunt May was turned into a Herald of Galactus for it because comics.

Edit:You can see a better summary of the story here.

8. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'm just going to point out that tape drives are still in current, real-world usage for long term storage. A current LTO tape cartridge stores multiple terabytes of data. So Fallout's holotapes always seemed weirdly reasonable to me.

ChestBurster, Ardy, BBJimmy and 7 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well in Babylon 5 every species had a variation of a meatball, so I guess in Marvel every species has a variation of a twinkie.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  10. Assblaster5000

It was actually an artificial planet (also a moon, but no clue if Galactus ate that) made by one guy literally named "Dough Boy" who thought baking up a planet was a reasonable decision, so honestly I think I'd accept any explanation.

Edit:Apprently Dough Boy went on to become the new Herald of Galactus after Aunt May found the planet as "Golden Oldie" because of how much Galactus liked the world sized pastries he could make.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Of course.

Now in my personal headcanon Dough Boy is an Elder of the Universe who dedicated himself to baking.

ChestBurster, Ardy, BBJimmy and 3 others like this.
  12. Assblaster5000

Makes more sense then the story he comes from, so sure, I'll hop into this canon.

Watching WarHams while talking about this was a bad decision.

ChestBurster, Istaran and Darko like this.
  13. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Hope they still have some nukes lying around.

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Probably. Also a lot less frustrating for the parents than an endless refrain of 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?' (My sister and I eventually replaced it with 'Will we be there soon?' which is probably just as annoying, but at least is a better question, as most places it would be obvious if we were there yet.)

15. Mr Zoat

Tlaltoc's in-game response to someone from outside Mexico invading Mexico is to nuke them until they stop.

16. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also, doesn't Liberty Prime have tactical nukes (or was that a weird fanon)?

ChestBurster and Relyt33 like this.
  17. Assblaster5000

More large nuclear grenades than proper warheads, but essentially yes.

18. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Wasn't it that every species has a Swedish Meatball?

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Without the Warp... it still makes things a whole lot better.

20. Mr Zoat

Yees, but there's never really been an explanation for where the energy for psychic powers comes from.

21. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

So what you are saying is that there is a sort of Warp after all?

22. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

given the existence of aliens and implied existence lovecraftian horrors in fallout it's probably nowhere good.

23. Mr Zoat

I'm saying that a peson could write it like that without contradicting the cosmology of the setting.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I was talking about the place in California that I had given you a correction for a few days ago, which you did accept. No relation to that guy except that both are named after Saint Anne.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

So, in the car for an entire hour? "Europeans think a hundred miles is a long way..."

Poll: which setting is more batshit insane troll logic: Fallout, or 40k? I think it's pretty close...

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

We invented it on our Earth in the 90s but it didn't see commercial deployment. It was supposed to have 20-100x the storage capacity and 6-7x the read speed of magnetic tape, which would have been great for archival (same as the primary business use for high-capacity magnetic tape). I don't have any concrete information about why it didn't take off but I speculate that recording them was a problem (maybe write-once like CD-Rs?), or the fact that it wasn't random-access was too much of a disadvantage compared to other technologies under consideration, or the lack of consumer-level application made it hard to commoditize.

That said, we ALSO invented a diffraction-grating-based videotape format in the late 1950s, which is more likely what the Fallout stuff is based on. This was an ambitious idea that would have allowed rapid mass-produced read-only tapes -- perfect for home video, which was its intended use case -- but the technology would have never worked for home recording like magnetic tape. It's super easy to imagine a different history where this format took off, because the main reason it didn't succeed in our world is that it was poor management.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually there has, it comes from the Great Old One's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Three or four hours. Westham to Ipswich or Leonard Stanley.

29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think OL has much, MUCH bigger things to worry about then one not really important recruit and what emotion they may be more compatible with.

And if we are being obsessed with what is "Optimal" then OL should have left Starfire with the Psions to be tortured even more, until she gained her canonical super powers, THEN rescued her. As he should already know the level of Heroing she can do with said powers, and could use them as a backup if her ring runs out of charge.

Now, if Starfire wants to go on a search for a Blue ring herself...she's more then welcome to. Her own personal quest so to speak. There is an interlude you can write.

And if Dox instantly sacks her ass for her "Suboptimal" usage of time and Orange Lantern resources, she can sit her powerless ass on her planet, helpless as any other baseline Tamaranian, and mourn her lost opportunity. Praying for Hope Corgi to appear and offer her the "Optimal" ring.

Ooorrr, she could sack the fuck up, and make it work. Because overcoming challenges is what makes you stronger, not bitching that "If I had a different ring, I'd be even better."

Though, to be fair to Starfire, she has not bitched about about her ring. It's just the insufferable Blue ringers in the forums that do.

It's like the biggest first world probleming I can think of in fiction. "I have incredibly useful super powers...but not the ones I wannnnnt."

I've typed up a few responses, but I keep deleting them. I honestly don't understand your thought process at all.

Bizzaro had Ice vision and Heat/Flame breath back in the day.

30. Mr Zoat

Dox won't fire her, because the SI offered her a ring and he doesn't want to worsen relations between the two of them. There would also be the practical question of how to fire her.