1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. gattsuru

gattsuru Making the rounds.

Back during the first trip to Qward:
    It's not clear how many fail and survive, but given the philosophical nature of it, probably not many. Even actual Weaponers don't expect to be immune or even resistant to the stuff. The more interesting part is actually a little earlier:
    Yet Kalmin gave one to OL, an alien. It's possible that Guy was talking about some specifically-designed safety, but again, Weaponers (and, uh, specifically Kalmin). I wonder if OL's previous transmutation of the qwa-amp counts enough for him to 'count' as a Weaponer despite his philosophical disagreements, at least compared to Varnathon.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'of a'

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

it

automaton, since there is but one.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Are we even sure this is Varnathon? He might just be a robot. Immunity from empath vision.

6. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

If the Reach are involved and Qward finds out, they'd probably jump into the war head first.

Selling Qwa Matter to aliens is one thing. Aliens mind controlling the High Weaponlord to attain Qwa Matter is a whole 'nother problem.

7. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

You know, just because he's favoring obedience over initiative doesn't mean he's pursuing mediocrity or incompetence.

8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Except that's how you tend to get mediocrity or incompetence, one of the ways at least.

9. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

11th July 2012
    16:01 GMT

Varnathon is bald, which does a surprising amount to emphasize it when he sweats.

"If you're struggling… My days as an 'apprentice' are long behind me, but fortunately my most recent student is here: Weaponer and council-member Diataria Lysis. Weaponer Lysis, please demonstrate the process and refresh the High Weaponlord's memory."

"Certainly, Weaponer Kalmin."

Lysis adopts a similar posture to Varnathon, both hands extended with her palms upwards. The light of qwa energy appears in her hands, a little faster than it did for Varnathon but not to a huge degree. We all watch as it fills out the space for a traditional qwa bolt, then…

"Anti-Monitor judge my worth-. Me worthy."

The qwa energy flickers, then solidifies into qwa matter. Lysis holds it for a moment, then holds it out to Kalmin. He takes it and considers it for a moment before nodding approvingly. He then holds it up so that he's eyeing Varnathon over it.

"Let go, Varnathon. Let us see this 'bolt' you have made."

Varnathon hesitates for a moment, then exhales.

"I refuse to participate in this stupidity any further."

The glow over his hands weakens, then-. Then I brace as the qwa energy he gathered explodes! Shields flare into being in every balcony, Kalmin parries with his hammer and Lysis dives behind me. That was-. Nothing like as powerful as the blast that killed me, but by the time the flare of energy has died down Varnathon has already beaten a speedy retreat back through the door he came in by.

"Weaponer Lysis, are you injured?"

"No."

I watch through my rear-facing cameras as she picks herself up.

"Do you require the loan of enhanced defensive technologies?"

"Not from a machine."

"Weaponer Kalmin has demonstrated that he values your continued existence. Any device I supply to you would be from his armoury."

"No, machine."

"Standing by."

I should pretend to be a robot more often. It's surprisingly fun.

Kalmin raises his arms, qwa bolts safely stowed but hammer still in hand.

"Councillors! What say you!?"

"Well…" One of the Councillors -one in a lightly armoured suit rather than armour- leans on his balcony. "That was disappointing. Very disappointing. But he answered your complaints. I will check the protocols at the youth-training centres in my city and ask for more information on his trading-."

"He just failed to demonstrate the ability to carry out a task that all Weaponers must perform in order to even be Weaponers!"

"Oh, I'm sure we've all gotten a little rusty." The Councillor looks around at his fellows. Who mostly don't meet his eyes, but aren't exactly shouting out to denounce him. "I've barely done any work with qwa matter since I completed my apprenticeship."

"I see. I see. And the rest of you?"

The silence is deafening. I smile inside my armour.

"That's… Not entirely unexpected. Robot."

"Standing by."

"Qwa bolt."

I step closer and hold it out. He takes it from me and bows his head for a moment. And I take a few paces back, because-.

Kalmin flings the qwa bolt in the direction of the Councillor who dismissed him! The shield activates again but is blasted apart, the Councillor's personal shield lighting up for a moment as he staggers backwards! Kalmin's second bolt strikes him directly, vaporising him, his retinue and the entire compartment.

I leap into the gap, fists extended and crumbler fields expanded as far as they'll go! Dying to a qwa matter detonation once might be regarded as unfortunate and all that. The floor here is gone, but the energy shield protecting the next compartment is still whole. Metal and plasma shield both fail as my fists gouge chunks out of the divide, and I pull both fists downwards to create a section of wall I can knock down.

Qwa matter detonations start going off behind me, my rear cameras picking up Kalmin batting qwa bolts away from him with his hammer and returning them to their senders. Slashes finished I pull back my arms and boost, the compartment divide failing and the Thunderers within frantically grasping for their next bolts.

Too slow. One takes a chunk of wall to the chest and is knocked back while the other gets a fist to the face. The Councillor… Gone. Legged it, maybe. Right, I'm out of the line of fire of most of the surviving Thunderers and there are two-.

The Thunderer I hit with the wall cuts his way free with a qwa blade. He's clearly injured but he's coherent and this armour isn't great at brawling. I reconfigure-.

Weaponer Lysis steps around me and shoots him in the gap between his visor and gorget, killing him instantly.

"Robot."

She grabs a quiver and pulls out a qwa bolt, tests the weight and then throws it out of the balcony towards the other side of the room. It detonates inside a compartment that has already lost its shielding, killing the occupants.

"Assault."

I fly upwards at full speed, fists over my head. I punch through the ceiling into the next compartment up, a soldier who'd been firing a gun over the balcony railing getting a fist through his legs and falling-

"Aagh!"

-screaming over the edge.

"Compliance."

The Weaponer draws a pistol so I project a kinetic barrier, causing his arm to bounce off apparently empty space as he tries to bring it to bear. He reflexively pulls the trigger as it hits, firing a black beam which by pure luck hits his other bodyguard and disintegrates his soft tissues. His armour-covered skeleton collapses to the floor as I charge the Weaponer down, slapping my two hands together through either side of his torso.

Ring, transmit.

"Kalmin, is there actually a plan here?"

Lysis flies up through the hole behind me and steps in front of me, making sure that my bulk is between her and the balcony. I can't see Kalmin and the arena looks pretty wrecked.

"Kill everyone here, then pursue Varnathon."

I punch through into the compartment to my right and then step back. Lysis throws a qwa bolt through the gap, the wall warping as it detonates on the far side.

"Does that include Lysis?"

"No."

"Good, because-"

I shoulder my way through the wrecked wall. Doesn't look like anyone was in here. I turn towards the balcony to try and see if there's anyone still around.

"-she's with me and that would be awkward."

The room looks like a series of bombs have hit it. I can see corpses and body parts, but as Kalmin walks out of the smoke and vapour from one of the upper balconies I can't see any living targets.

"Now for Varnathon."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It is time for a culling. Whatever comes after this will either be very good or very bad, depending on how you view it.

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

That escalated quickly.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'emphasize'

'extended'

I bet it is.

Looks like they're still willing to support him even if they appeared outraged.

13. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Compliance.

Interesting that, in the role of a servile automaton, OL takes on the mannerisms that Renegade's ring has.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So the answer was number two, corruption.

It's sad to think, but the best outcome here would actually be a drawn out planetary civil war complete with religious culling.

It could weaken the weaponers enough that Paul and others could finish the job and get rid of them.

15. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

Here's to this giving the Weaponers enough casualties they cannot easily recover.

Yes, please do. :)

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, about to be shown up by a much younger and thus less experienced Weaponer. Come, Varnathon, continue your little flop-sweat. I suspect Kalmin is going to make things quite a bit hotter for you before he's done... :sneaky:

And without the benefit of mechanical assistance, too. Already, she has quite the jump on him.

Not a masterwork, but acceptable for a moment's notice. No less than Kalmin would expect of a former apprentice.

Well, I see he's taking the 'Fuck this shit, I'm out' option. Brace for explosions! And not even at the end of a chapter! :p

Well, if the shields had been any weaker, that would have been quite messy. I hope that shows the Council what sort of Qwardian Varnathon is.

Heh, useful to functionally have eyes in the back of your head.

And despite the situation, now I'm picturing him speaking in a calm Baymax voice...

Hey, you offered. If the lady trusts her own equipment, then so be it. Let's hope she hasn't slacked off any since she left Kalmin's tutelage.

Indeed. You can discreetly sass everyone and they'll just assume Kalmin programmed you that way. Becasue Kalmin.

Now, to see how well Varnathon has them paid off... Whether by monetary means, religious or criminal...

Boy, this guy really can't read the room, can he? This is not a time for bureaucracy...

And Kalmin's made a decision, I see. These fools have spent too much time ruling and not enough exercising their skills. Things are about to get louder.

Time for some regime change. Just as I predicted. We can but hope their replacements are more useful.

Taking a moment to offer a prayer to the Anti-Monitor to guide his pimp hand Bolt?

Not subtle, is he? :D Now, to see who decides to fight for or against him, and who tries to run.

I see OL guessed exactly what Kalmin planned. No time wasted in getting stuck in.

Yes, the drawback of heavy protection. Unlike something good like, say, Astartes armour, his suit is not built for speed. Unfortunately, when the enemy are using weapons that make your armour less than effective, it's a liability.

Good to see Lysis standing by her former teacher. I'm betting we're looking at the possible new High Weaponer, once Kalmin's cleaned house.

"And... Hulk."
    "Gruh?"
    "...Smash."

The upside of that heavy armour? When moving, you're basically a missile. I suspect he could do a lot of damage just by cruising along at chest height, at least until the Thunderers catch on...

Oooh, fancy. Also, no subtlety needed here. If you're playing Kalmin's creation, you get to fight as Kalmin would have intended...

Yes, that would be good to know. Are there any Councillors here who you might want to keep alive? Or is it going to be a total sweep?

Total sweep it is. Looks like Qward is going to be a bit unstable 'til new Councilors get selected. Bonus.

Good to know, might get a bit awkward if you have to kill her. She's such a nice girl.

By now, anyone who's likely to run has already fled. The rest were probably those itching to have a go at Kalmin...

Nice phrasing. Qwa-bolts basically are bombs, if the thrower wants them to be. And I see Kalmin had no real trouble. As if any of these bureaucrats would have been a challenge...

No more stealth, now. The fun part begins: killing any fucker who gets between Kalmin and Varnathon... To be honest, this sort of mayhem probably breaks out every once in a while on Qward. Most of the population are no doubt hearing the explosions and musing that :rolleyes: 'deliberations are energetic today...'

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he can actually.

Is it ever?

If he keeps doing it then she may be the only Weaponer.

It's probably like a Klingon generation or Dothraki wedding.

If some people aren't brutally killed or if there isn't a war then it's boring.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, the Renegade's ring says 'By your command'. 'Compliance' is what the SI's ring says.

19. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

I'm pretty chuffed at the general good cheer OL and Kalmin exhibit in this chapter. It's just... nice. Even while they're murdering their way through the council.

20. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Might not be the only one, even if Kalmin cleans house here. Depends on if it's a situation where all Weaponers are on the Council, or that only Weaponers can be on the Council. Don't know/remember which of those is the case if it's even been mentioned.

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Not really. He is someone you would only wish on your enemies.

The issue being, the qwardians are currently his enemies, on account of their culture being amoral warmongering destroyers at best, verging into omniversal obliteration cultists at worst.

22. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

My mistake. I wonder why I was confused there...

23. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

OLBot and Kalmin have come to kick ass and take names, and they don't care about names anymore.

24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I see Kalmin subscribes to one of Ayn Rand's more idiotic ideas: "sanction", and specifically the notion that tolerating people who behave badly is sanctioning them and so is tolerating people who tolerate them; it's transitive. This is an extremely self-destructive viewpoint that ineitably leads to civil war and/or splitters too small to get shit done.

OTOH, in the words of Martellus von Blitzengard: "Don't get me wrong, I can kill [members of the ruling class] all day and know I'm making the world a better place, but [that destroys valuable resources] and I'd rather not waste too many of them. So, will killing you solve my problem, or-?"

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's all about destruction.

26. Sckarred

Sckarred Getting some practice in, huh?

Well this was lame. Such a easy solution to breaking a villain's power base just because of random incompetency in one particular area that turns out to matter

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. Murdering everyone at a meeting of leaders is a perfectly valid method of decapitating an enemy force if you can pull it off. Since their method of incompetency is in regards to being deadly via their literal god, I disagree that it turning out to matter is random when their survival is on the line. They did go do surprisingly easy though.

28. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Qwardian vote of No confidence, if you get killed by the one calling for the vote you're not fit for the job.
    look like Kalmin's dissolving the entire chamber for a recall election.

better to kill a few dozen while they are at a meeting than thousands on the battlefield.

29. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Heh, Paul describing room kinda like Klingon courtroom earlier and now getting rid of weakness the Kingon way.

30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

The SI did say "By your command" in part 14 which may be what you're thinking of.

ChestBurster, Silverias and Ardy like this.