1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Even if it was the same, it wouldn't be surprising. The SI and the Renegade are both derived from the same original person and therefore certainly share interests.

(Also, Flight of the Navigator was a great movie.)

ChestBurster likes this.
  2. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Cross your arms, turn your back, and shun them until you hear the door close behind them?

ChestBurster likes this.
  3. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Someone had to say it, and it makes me very happy.

ChestBurster and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th July 2012
    16:04 GMT

"You're not a robot, are you?"

"I can see how you made it onto the Council of Commanders."

I take another moment to look at the sheer destruction the three of us dealt out to the chamber and its occupants.

"Not sure what the rest of these morons did."

"Learned to manipulate qwa energy and avoided dying. Do you intend to follow Kalmin?"

"I'd feel like a bit of a prat if I came this far and then gave up. But I don't have a map. I don't know the best route."

"The quickest route between two points is a straight line. If you can't teleport."

"Yeah, well-." I jump off the balcony and float into the pit that is now the centre of the room. "Excuse me for being less collateral damage happy than a q'ardajin. Don't you want this city intact?"

Lysis floats towards the door which Varnathon -and presumably Kalmin- exited through.

"As if a squabble like this could destroy a Qwardian city. Alien, you underestimate us."

"You thought that I was a robot." A quick look around with empathic vision shows no one in close proximity, thought that means about as much around here as it would on Earth. "So are you looking for a new job now?"

She hurries after Kalmin, a long qwa knife in her right hand while her left strains to forge a new qwa bolt.

"Why do you ask?"

"Ranx has been making noises about wanting a chief engineer. Kalmin's busy, but it seems to me that working on a giant battle station cum shipyard might be something a Weaponer could lower themselves to do."

I can't hear any close noises. Q'ardajin are probably intelligent enough to make themselves scarce in situations like this, though the lack of Thunderers from the local garrison is a little strange.

"Who are you?"

"Come on, my voiceprint should be on file."

She accelerates to a jog, checking all directions as we hurry wherever this corridor goes.

"A human. Are you the ginger-haired one or the brown-skinned one?"

"Neither. Where do you think Varnathon is heading?"

"Most likely-."

There's an explosion from somewhere ahead of us. And then another. And then another.

We wait for a moment, then accelerate to a run.

"I didn't tell Varnathon of this meeting, and his personal flier is on the city's Councillor's landing pad. Either he was already here -which is possible- or he was warned and flew directly here because he wanted to ensure that he had somewhere safe to retreat to. But Kalmin annihilated Councillor Parekh so that's no longer guaranteed. Kalmin knows where Parekh's home is, and vehicular flight is not a reliable way to evade a qwa bolt. He might try to get to the mass transit teleport array, but Kalmin might disrupt that."

"That doesn't-."

We run out onto a large balcony, the remains of a large flying vehicle smouldering in the middle.

I… Jog to a stop.

"Kalmin, can you see Varnathon?"

"I'm tracking him. Don’t concern yourself."

"He might go to Parekh's house for shelter. Is the mass transit teleporter closer?"

Lysis nods. "And it has fewer security checks. None he couldn't override with Tacticos."

"Anywhere else he might have gone?"

"Not with Weaponers fleeing in all directions. Otherwise he could organise a coordinated counterattack. He could try taking a civilian craft, but Kalmin could easily down it."

"What about going to ground?"

"He doesn't have any allies here."

"The question isn't so much 'do they like him' as 'do they like him more than the man who killed a load of their peers and is trying to kill them'. Or how hard would it be for him to disguise himself as another Weaponer? How do we even know that the person we spoke to was Varnathon?"

"No, we verified his identity when he came in. Though he… Might have slipped away."

"I will confirm his identity from his corpse."

"Kalmin's busy." I step into an alcove. "I'm going to focus on a scan. Stab me if we get attacked."

Okay, Kalmin would have spotted a vehicle, but on foot? So I'm looking for known disguise systems at ground level within running distance.

Quintessence waveform scan.

I feel… Spikey, images coming in fits and starts rather than the smooth expansion of my mind that happened last time. No, no, no… I see all of the q'ardajin who fled, hid… Every mote of energy, but it… Makes more sense? I don't do this enough to have a-.

No. No. End.

I stomp my armour out of the corner, Lysis raising her blade slightly. Looks like minimal time loss. I need to get more baselines for that sort of thing so I know how long it's going to take.

"I found him. This way."

I rise into the air at speed, Lysis lagging-. I drop down, wrap my right arm around her and then accelerate, heading towards the top of the building that recently contained a meeting of the Council of Commanders.

And the school graduates currently holding High Weaponlord Varnathon at gunpoint.

I let Lysis go when we reach the upper surface, and-

"…ly happy to negotiate something, but we need to leave now."

-fly towards where Varnathon is frantically trying to persuade them to work with him. He's wearing another q'ardajin's face. They don't know who they've got.

The one armed female scowls as she sees me.

"Are we going to be rewarded for turning this one in?"

"You want to turn Varnathon in for a reward? Yes, I think we can negotiate."

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So either the Qwardians have some device interfering with the scan, or his new enlightenment is responsible.

Welp, time to see if Paul can convince the Qwardians to change their culture and become sane, like he told Hinon.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

And I'd have Gotten Away With It Too If It Wasn't For Those Meddling Kids!

7. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Did Paul get faster at the wavescan thing? Or was it just an easier goal this time?

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Quintessence waveform scan is more helpful than usual.

Another side effect from his rebirth? From death-by-Qwa-energy? From being a soul-attracting skin flap in the void of space that stood out like a bonfire to the tortured ghost-gestalts?

9. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I expect it's part of doing the scan in the anti-matter universe.

10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'd personally have been wary of doing a quintessence scan on Qward of all places.

I wonder if the Renegade will get involved with Qwardian affairs in a similar or markedly different manner, allying with Varnathon instead; having the High Weaponlord of Qward in your debt seems like a pretty useful thing. The circumstances in that timeline are pretty different but it would be an interesting development.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He kinda is allied with him.

He was talking with him and Varnathon apologized for a Thunderer attacking him, and later renegade had Lysis make him a red ring.

12. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Well what? Why doesn't he teleport?

Why would she care? I know you are the Protagonist Pavlos but that doesn't mean every side character instinctively knows about you.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Easy, OL. I don't think Qward has enough Aloe for a burn that sharp. :D But I'm honestly not surprised she saw through your little game of pretend. The lady knows Kalmin well, and she knows how he would program a war-construct. And you clearly don't act enough like one...

Savvy business sense, enough money to buy their seat and an unhealthy amount of corruption? Because it clearly wasn't for combat prowess. :p

Also, without a Ring Scan, it'd be hard to track Varnathon, and that would be a big old red flag to the Qwardian defenses. Last thing they need are Thunderers flooding the building with prospective corpses.

Bah, a city can be rebuilt. Vengance is what's important here, clearly.

That too. I bet the place is built like a fortress under all the industrial trimmings. And now I'm picturing it transforming like Autobot City (the movie version) when someone somehow manages to invade: Armour plates rolling out over vital buildings, gun turrets popping out of every roof...

I am honestly impressed she can manage that while moving, even more so while maintaining combat readiness.

After all, imagine all the things you could learn from working on Ranx. All the different technology you could see, the fascinating beings to learn to kill...

Yes, you'd expect the security forces you came past to come running. Unless Kalmin's got their attention. In which case he gets to wade through corpses like a Frazetta painting.

Boy, are her files out of date or what? I guess Qward doesn't care much, since I doubt Kalmin would be sending them updates...

When in doubt, follow the kabooms. It's probably Kalmin, though. Unless someone got a message out of the chamber and other groups are taking the chance to indulge in some vendettas.

More proof Varnathon is no true Weaponer, at least. If I gauge his character right, he'd have at least arranged something to slow down pursuit.

Interesting. That would be Varnathon's ride, I take it. Looks like someone else got the same idea as OL and Lysis. Only they were quicker.

Though I foresee him being slowed down a bit by cocky Thunderers. And as good as he is, it only takes one lucky shot...

Joy to basically having the keys to the city, literally. Though I have to wonder just how much Parekh's defences will slow down a suitably annoyed Kalmin...

And there's always the 'pretend to be someone else and keep you head down' approach. But I suspect Kalmin could see through that kind of trickery. Or just start killing everyone who crosses his path.

That may be, but does he have enemies of his enemy? Running to them might get their attention on Kalmin and company, slowing them down long enough for him to find a better route to flee.

I mean, how hard is it to make a convincing holographic disguise? Hell, even a baggy hoodie might work if the opponent is distracted enough, like say, by waves of Thunderers.

...Well, that's one way to get his attention. But keep in mind, OL, she is carrying a Qwa-blade... Also what kind of scan could require that level of... :confused: Oh, wait...

Hopefully this doesn't take too long. Not gonna help if he can't find Varnathon before he gets out of reach.

Oh-ho, seems like he might have improved his QWS skill a bit. Presumably the glitchiness at the start is related to Qward's defences, or just being, you know, in the Anti-Matter universe...

Yeah, might want to practise a bit more. Still, at least it isn't taking hours anymore.

:eek: Motherfuck! That's a surprise. I mean, I expected them to show up at some point, but this is not what I expected at all.

And Varnathon's trying to buy passage, isn't he? Figures.

Presumably with a bit of medical attention, and some amazing painkillers, to still be standing after the whole 'Arm ripped off by a killer dinosaur' thing.

:eek: Ack! Better make sure they can't shoot him, OL! Remember the grudge they have against him? This could be a very tense negotiation...

Not quite the quickest turnaround for a Chekhov's Gun in this fic, but I knew those students would prove themselves useful somehow. The question now is, can OL and Lysis convince them not to kill Varnathon out of hand, so he can have a nice, slow, painful death at Kalmin's hands...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be worried of any defenses that are in place.

He did invade Qward before and helped her former teacher.

It's not that much of an assumption for him to think that she may know his voice seeing as he did those things.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Weaponeers do not fear the GLs.

But they fear New Gods.

The only reason their planet still exists is that the planet itself has no value.

Sure their tech is good but New God tech can defeat power rings, in fact when the GLs tried to attack Apokolips it went really really really badly..And remember that the GLs previously had wiped out an Entire Sector.

I see Grayven just hiring one of the Weaponeers to have alternatives.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

It's interesting actually. I read a couple of old New God comics yesterday and Darkseid was far weaker originally than he is now. When Orion confronted him, he fled in a car and called in a squad of marksmen to shoot him to death.

17. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

It's almost like Darkseid is as strong as the writer needs him to be with no regards to continuity. But it cannot be that... Right?

18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I think you'll find this a very fascinating read: The cops that arrested Thanos vs the thugs that mugged Darkseid.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he was originally intended to be a paper tiger, as in looks dangerous, but really isn't.

I also think he was intended to be more powerful than a person, but that person has to fear him, and if they don't then he's weaker.

20. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

when was the last update featuring grayven paul?

what issue was this?

and on a more general note, what was the first superhero comic you read?

did the author state this?

ChestBurster likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here.

ChestBurster likes this.
  22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I mean, Stsword has been mentioning for a while that actually New Gods are mostly low level supervillains and their higher ups are just occasionally dangerous or dependent on the writers to make them more powerful. With the importance that they're given in the comics that doesn't really make sense, but that's because they are being used beyond the scope that Kirby created them for, so I accept this fic's interpretation that they're actually more powerful. If we were actually following the comics I imagine the Illustres could take care of Apokolips in a week if he invested enough time, resources and ruthlessness really.

ChestBurster and transhumansage like this.
  23. transhumansage

thank you. i keep shipping white haired artemis and grayven together. should really stop...

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Depends on the comics really.

If it was some of the earlier comics, then maybe.

But if it's the ones after that or the post Flashpoint ones, then no, beating them would be much, much harder.

25. transhumansage

isnt vaporising apokalips enough? like that one movie where batman threatens darkseid with the hellspores?

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Although if you (any fanfic author) want to come up with a reason the old stories happened and play around with truly strong New Gods there are a few ways to go about it. But they are shamelessly original rather than founded on genuine lore.

A) The Life Entity’s awareness ebbs and flows specifically around Earth. During certain phases soul manipulation is (such as the New Gods’ main schtick) is heavily hampered.
    B) New Gods aren’t limited by location to express, but they depend on stores of internal energy for their powers. Sometimes circumstances force them down to the realm of mere mortals. Replenishing energy in general or replenishing in a short period of time could be a problem.
    C) The Source has tides or weather patterns that express themselves across the universe. These can boost or hinder a New God’s powers regularly, they could be a problem for an unprepared New God, or they could be a flat penalty to all Source-manipulators.

27. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

At least it's a ship that doesn't violate the half the person's (mental) age +7 rule...

28. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Damn, Paragon is laying down the sass in this chapter.

Should this be 'I feel'?

29. Mr Zoat

No, the thugs thing made sense because Darkseid was deliberately mugging so he could learn of oppression from the point of view of the oppressed.

Thanos was just the writer not doing the research.
    New Gods (1984) #6
    No idea.

No, wait. The first American superhero comic I read was Doctor Spectrum #1. But I'd been reading compendiums from my local library for a while before that. The first comic-type thing I read was probably my cousin's Beanos back when I was..? Eight, maybe? Then compendiums, then Warhammer Monthly. I've never really got into buying individual comics.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I feel based on how offended some are by my comment still, I have over estimated Kori's age here. Isn't she like 19/20 here and her sister is like 21/22? I have been under the impression this was the older curly haired version of Starfire. I feel like this is when I thought Paul was 19/20 and was confused by his lack of interest in Zatanna.

If this is the younger Teen Titans version(or at least based on her age) who is closer to 15/16, I fully understand the reactions and will no longer have interest in the pairing. I have just been under the impression Alan and her met when she was an adult in a Senior/Jr cop way and had seen them as getting together when she was 25-30. If she's still a teen and not a young adult, I don't see her joining Alan as a blue but replacing him when he dies in the war of Light