1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

You dont' know what Kirby Crackle is?

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except Paragon talked Kalmin into wanting to be active in the destruction of everything instead of sitting there waiting for the Anti-Monitor.

3. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has he? In as much as he’s convinced him to make weapons for the Corps sure but that’s still a long way of from being at omnicide levels

And Kalmin has made no secret of the fact that he doesn’t want to rule Qward so him wanting to be more active would change nothing about how Qward operates

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes? It happened in Chapter 11.

5. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

That... proves nothing

That’s just them saying that if you remove the religious aspect of their work the Q’ardajin might as well be the Psions or Apokoliptians

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Malthusian tech was shown to be emotion agnostic back when Paul found the Guardian ship and the Fist of the Guardians and powered both with the orange light.

So in and of itself, it doesn't seem charging it with a different color changes anything other than it's power source and hence power output.

In the comics, Sinestro was shown to have backdoors in his rings. He was shown to be able to make rings attack their wearers when Mongol got uppity, and post flashpoint it shown he can order yellow rings to explode, turning his own people into suicide bombers, whether they like it or not.

Since Sinestro isn't known for making his own rings but buying/stealing them from the Qwardians. I would assume the Qwardians put those backdoors in there.

So it is possible that Kalmin could make Alan's power battery explode quite prettily.

But I would be surprised to find out he could do the same to Alan's ring, since he didn't actually have anything to do with it.

7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

No. ?
    Never read comics beyond the handful my parents bought and whatever was in the grocery stores magazine aisle.

ChestBurster likes this.
  8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

colon instead of semicolon

9. Maxx Crowley

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not have made the ring but his Lantern did alter the ring, like repairing it and giving it a database, so it's possible he also added a self-destruct system in it.

ChestBurster, Stsword and Cuchulin like this.
  11. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

That might just be based on Sinestro's mastery of the yellow light just like Paul can summon orange rings to him or turn them off.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

13. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th July 2012
    16:16 GMT

And while he's on the way…

"I'm sorry, I've been thinking of you as 'one-armed q'ardajin female'. What's your name?"

"Test Subject Daciya. And you are responsible for the loss of my arm."

"It was that or get eaten by a Devourer. And if getting eaten was more acceptable than getting saved by an alien, suck it up." Though… "How would you like a replacement arm?"

"I can design my own arm, alien."

"Why did I bother asking?" I raise my left hand. "I'm-."

"I'd…" One of the q'ardajin covering Varnathon with a small pistol looks my way, his shirt caked in blood. "I'd like it if you could fix my injuries. My name's Nauca."

"Not 'Test Subject'? Did your parents actually like you or something?"

"One way or another I don't think we're going to be test subjects after today. I'm.. bleeding quite heavily."

"Right."

An orange beam from my ring touches his chest, mapping his body and showing me his injuries. He's… Showing an impressive degree of fortitude, keeping himself functioning. He's certainly in a lot of pain, which I stop right away.

"Ah!"

Kalmin's never let me scan him properly, but I'm getting an excellent idea of how q'ardajin bodies work now. Patching him up is simple enough; even the implanted cybernetics are straightforward enough in function that I can work out what they're meant to look like.

"Better?"

He nods happily, smiling. "I'll kill you last, alien."

"I'm going to pretend that was a translation bug and you actually meant to say something nice there."

"What, do you want to be killed first?"

Several of the others are awkwardly smiling, so I'm going to assume that it's a q'ardajin expression. I turn back to Daciya. "How about I replace your organic arm, and you can cut it off later once you've built the replacement you want?"

"That-. What?"

This isn't working. Kalmin's approaching, and… I scan her, attach filaments to her shoulder stump to pin her in place and recreate her arm.

"Weaponer Lysis, is this sort of contrariness common amongst q'ardajin?"

"Test Subject Daciya's test scores indicated strong will and an inclination to self-determination. And having an alien touching our bodies like that…" She moues. "Repulsive. I can well understand."

"So are none of you interested in a job off Qward?"

"I'll take it." Nauca raises his right hand. "I'll take it. I'm looking for something safe, like assault infantry."

I nod. "I'm sure we can accommodate-." Kalmin flies over the rooftop and lands next to me, his eyes fixed on Varnathon. "Kalmin. One High Weaponlord."

"One craven. Has he tried to justify himself to you?"

"Yes."

Kalmin generates a new qwa bolt.

"Varnathon, you never fail to disappoint. What, were you trying to build a mortal empire? Something you could rule like a king while you traded with your 'peers'?"

I remove the construct muzzle.

"Yes you madman that's exactly what I wanted! Why do you want to destroy everything?!"

Kalmin's bolt stabilises, and he studies it for a moment.

"If I have to explain it, then I don't think you can understand."

"Kalmin, you have irreconcilable differences. You're not going to agree with one another about anything. If you're going to kill him, there's-"

Kalmin stabs Varnathon with the bolt, disintegrating him in a flash of light.

"-no point dragging it out."

"Mm."

Lysis regards Kalmin cautiously.

"He's dead. That's what you came here for. What now?"

"This is only part of what I'm here for. I need to contact the surviving members of the Council of Commanders."

"I doubt that they'll be willing to meet you again."

"They don't need to be physically present to hear my words."

She nods. "I'm sending you the communication protocols now. They should all be able to receive you."

"Who is in charge now?"

Lysis sneers. "Technically, Thunderlord Brikan, until the immediate threat is resolved and a new High Weaponlord can be chosen. Or if someone was feeling suicidally brave they could don the Weapons of Rengar and become Highlord. That used to happen a lot. It was a good way of excising the brash and stupid from our socie-. Ty."

She looks at Kalmin, and for a moment appears genuinely afraid.

"How does that work?"

"Rengar's blade and helm are unique qwa energy manipulation devices. Only someone who has mastered qwa energy could hope to wear them without being destroyed. Kalmin, is that what you intend?"

Kalmin bows his head slightly.

"I had considered it. Had the Council of Commanders been even a little less craven I may well have done it. But if the virtue of Qward rests on the shoulders of any one man then Qward is too rotted to be saved. To be worth saving."

"What, then?"

"Transmit my next words."

She nods, raising her right forearm slightly.

"Commanders of Qward. Inheritors of the traditions of the Anti-Monitor, who raised us from ignorance and gave us divine purpose. You have become weak, and in your failings you have made Qward weak. High Weaponlord Varnathon is dead by my hand but I will neither replace him nor name a replacement. You will become better. You will raise yourselves above your current lamentable level of mediocrity and become as you should be, or upon my return I will scour the rest of you from creation."

"These are the words of Weaponer Kalmin. Heed them."

He nods, and Lysis lowers her arm.

"I don't know if they'll listen or if none will hear me. Either way, the Anti-Monitor's purpose is served. And what will you do, Weaponer Councilwoman Lysis?"

"I find that watching you work has renewed my ambition. I will improve Qward or die trying."

Kalmin smiles. And it looks genuine.

"I'm pleased to hear it. And as for the rest of you…" He looks at the students. "I suppose it is only reasonable that I do my part in teaching the next generation."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. Oddly anticlimatic.

I woukd really like to hear Pauls reasoning here, because a Qward that returns to it's roots really sounds less than ideal.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that was nice, by Qwardian standards at least.

'her shoulder'

And the cult continues.

17. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

It's like saying that you are the least repulsive part of reality.

18. TangerineThing

TangerineThing Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I'm suddenly curious what the Q'ardajin word/name for the Anti-Monitor is and means. They surely wouldn't refer to themselves literally as the anti-matter universe, that's just translation, and monitoring probably isn't a defining feature they would use to refer to the Anti-Monitor.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Are the hardcore Qwardians like Deidara from Naruto? Only finding lasting meaning in fleeting destruction? Like watching the Anti-Monitor at work was perfection and their efforts are pale comparisons until the end when the Weaponers unleash themselves in a hail of sound and fury?

21. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

The Rotinom!

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Wow, just saying it like that sounds kind of rude, OL. I mean, I doubt she sees it that way, but wow. Still, at least he can see the need for good book-keeping, :p or we wouldn't get constant timestamps...

If she's any level of devout, she'd probably refuse based on the fact it's an alien doing it. Besides, if you could replace it with a cool cybernetic arm laden with weaponry, why wouldn't you?

Heh. Even he doubted that would work, eh?

I guess Daciya just takes her life-assignment seriously? This guy, though... He seems a lot more pliable.

Yeah, let's make sure he doesn't bleed out, before you lose a useful grunt. I mean, he's evidently not much of a Weaponer. So he would have been a Thunderer hopeful.

Oh, my. Quite a bit of relief. I guess one of his cybernetic implants prevents pain from causing too much feedback in his nerves. Not deaden it entirely, that would be asking too much of a Qwardian device.

...Presumably that's a nicer phrase in Qwardian culture than it sounds.

You can try, bucko. Best not to annoy the fellow you'd be counting on for a ride off this rock...

Having two hands would make it easier to make a new arm, after all. I would not be surprised if she actually would cut it off later, though.

Given she was pegged for a Test Subject under Varnathon's selection criteria, I'd say she was the sort of independent thinker he didn't want around, yes.

To be fair, they probably consider all other places to be hellholes unworthy of their presence. That strikes me as the Q'ardajin way...

Discussion tabled for later, then. And Assault Infantry being safer than this? :D Methinks he'll be the unflappable badass of any squad he's put in, because he has literally always seen worse...

Well, that tells us his thoughts on the matter. I guess he really does not want to hear any excuses.

To be fair, that's exactly what he was doing. Dress it up as nicely as you like, he was the man in charge, and he was unlikely to want to let go of any of that power. ;) Why am I talking about him in the past tense? Varnathon's already dead... :sneaky: We just have to wait for reality to catch up...

Yeah, these two would never have got along. It'd be like matter and anti-matter.

Kalmin wasting no time delivering sentence, I see. Well, then. What next?

Now? Now you get to fix Qward. I can tell Kalmin's not interested.

Indeed. You probably couldn't get them out of their panic bunkers with a singularity's gravity well by this point. I mean, they won't even have had time to change their pants, I bet!

Whoever it is must be sweating enough bullets to fill an armoury over whether Kalmin's coming for them next...

Yeah, that stuff looks about as subtle as I'd expect of Qwardian armour design. Presumably it atomises anyone unworthy enough to make the attempt to wear it...

And what, become king of this shithole? He's already said he has no interest in ruling them...

The rot's gone beyond what a single charismatic hero could undo, eh? So, how long until you drop a Qwa-bolt into the core and blow it all up, then?

Here we go...

In other words, shape up or be erased. And those words will likely trigger a civil war as every yahoo who thinks he or she has the silver bullet to fix things makes a play for power...

And if she takes the seat of High Weaponlord, it'll be over the corpses disintegrated memories of her rivals. And she will reform Qward along the lines Kalmin would want: Non-expansionist, insular other than studying weapons technologies, and devout.

And the students are probably feeling a creeping dread ooze up their spines. Are any of them wondering if they can go back and let the Devourers eat them? x3

See? This is why OL let Varnathon die. When the dust settles, Qward may find itself stronger, if smaller, but Kalmin's threat will still be hanging over their heads. And it's all the more likely that Qward will be destroyed, because there is no way they can live up to his standards. Short of the Anti-Monitor popping back up and saying 'you have done well, my chosen people,' anyway... :D

Mors, mastermenthe, Gilhelmi and 18 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be a Weaponer, but lacks some of their philosophical inclinations.

Or he's just really resistant to pain.

Like a Sontaran complimenting someone by saying they hope to kill them.

I don't know.

Paul and Guy did alright when they went there, and Kalmin has been doing well in the matter universe.

Not sure that's possible.

Hopefully soon.

Don't forget omnicidal, cultish and fanatical.

When he shows up I'm blaming you.

Murphy loving bastard.

24. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'll say it again: OL is really good at wrangling bad guys. He's like the supervillain whisperer.

25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I saw that episode, five times. I honesty don't think causing more evil is "improving things."

Plus is DC comics, brainwashing is more evil that destroying planets, ask Batman!

Ardy, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 1 other person like this.
  28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Living proof that Varnathon’s method would have worked. The q'ardajin are not inherently hostile to existence and could have been reformed into a non-evil civilisation if someone was willing to expend the time and effort.

Given both him and (theoretically) all of them are oblivion-cultists I don’t see how this is a valid threat. His end-goal is to kill them all anyway. Their end-goal is to kill them all anyway.

If Paul or Dox have any degree of sense between them they will keep the younglings as far away from the oblivion-cultist as possible.

29. Bolo

Bolo Know what you're doing yet?

This just shows how much of a hero Paul is not. He’s working for his own ends whatever they are. Not even sure if he’s Good. This is on brand for him to reshape a society to something better but the feeling I get is he doesn’t care/have time for it so..eh.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Chirox, Relyt33 and Enochi like this.
  30. Maxx Crowley

Almost feel sorry for Varn.

Can't help but feel OL just missed a golden opportunity, but hey, people complain all the time that he never makes mistakes or loses anything of value.

vaegrim, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 5 others like this.