1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Which is the same for every military. If you want to demonstrate that someone is bad, you have to point to something uniquely bad they do that isn't common in those circumstances.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've got agree with Zoat on this one, Manta and his mercs actually seem to be better than the average PMC as far as rules of engagement goes from what I remember.

They have their issues, every military force does, but so long as the stayed professional then there isn't really anything to point at and say "Got 'cha!" on that you wouldn't be able to do the same to with even the most professional and well trained state militaries on Earth, and that's damn impressive for a mercenary company.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, but that still doesn't mean Kaldur would be all that interested in starting a relationship with him.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'his mega'

'commander of the'

'are you'

I know that in the 2016 Lucifer comic one of the angels dated a guy, and in the previous Lucifer comic, Solomon, who takes the whole Bible thing very, very seriously, considered that gay guy to be innocent and was pissed at the guy who loved him not because he was gay, but rather because he mutilated and crippled the former.

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's a legitimate phrasing.
    Raquel's grammar isn't the best.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The quote marks should be in white, as it's Dr Mist.

Just read something interesting about this whole Calvin taking Mantas kid thing.

He didn't even know if Kaldur was Mantas.

Hell Manta may not have known that Kaldur was his biological kid until recently.

Unless they wanted to just be evil dicks and cause a whole lot of drama.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  7. Mr Zoat

For a horrifying moment I thought those were all on different posts.
    Wouldn't have been hard for Ocean Master to check.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming he even thought the two could be related.

He could have just as easily thought that Calvin was Kaldurs biological kid.

Calvin may have defected around the time Manta sired Kaldur so it's not that big of a stretch to think that Calvin could be his biological dad.

Though that could be how Manta found out about Kaldur in the show and comic canon.

Unless it happened in a different way in the source material.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

I rather imagine that they'd have checked Calvin Durham with biomancy when he got his gills.

10. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I agree, especially considering Black Manta's group is a traditional mercenary company rather then a publicly traded or privately held PMC. The legal differences between PMC and Mercenaries are actually quite strong.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but that still leaves him not knowing Manta is the biological dad.

DrThoth likes this.
  12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Not in this context it isn't. The title "field commander of military forces" is not a unique position; any officer who is in command of any operation qualifies. So "the field commander of" isn't appropriate, it would be like saying "the council is comprised of the heads of [whatever], the current member of Parliament, and the dean of Oxford." (Note: "the current member of Parliament for Flydale North" or whatever would be different... assuming there's only one per constituency, which I think is true.) "Overall field commander of..." or "field commander of the [...] forces" both add needed specificity. The former by specifying that you mean the most senior person who that title describes, and the latter because "commander of the military forces" means that you command all the forces, not just some. Technically that's still slightly ambiguous, e.g. the US President and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are both "commanders of the armed forces" (neither of them 'field'), but it's limited enough ambiguity that you can ignore it.

13. Mr Zoat

How many people do you think Kaldur's mother was fucking?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 2 others like this.
  14. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    11:15 GMT -2

I watch as Grayven steps through the portal, careful to avoid being in a position where anyone on the far side could see me. It's curious that he feels the need to be personally present; I certainly wouldn't feel that my presence was necessary during the promotion of, say, a captain. Certainly not one from another city, no matter how close our relationship was. Given all that he's said of his own nature I'm a little concerned that means that on some level he considers everyone on Earth to be his vassals.

His 'boom tube' closes after he steps through, and I walk over to the balcony overlooking… I smile. Poseidonis. Not long ago I assumed that I'd never see this accursed city again. The Royal Palace and the Conservatory of Sorcery are much unchanged, at least from the outside. But it has been a long time. Stone has increasingly been replaced by cultured coral growth, and… Ah, that's new. Some sort of living structure..? How charmingly bizarre. The buildings are generally higher, and the codes they're using for the patterns of bioluminescence have changed a good deal. Sixty years ago the aim was to keep things simple. Now-.

I wonder if it's because it's less expensive now, or just a change in fashion? Expense isn't really an issue in Venturia at the moment, but if my city's new residents start making their buildings glow it could look a little messy. Will I need to send bailiffs around to the architects to remind them that Venturia's building regulations are not the same as those in their home cities? My own trade missions have been firmly instructed that their trade houses are to blend in, but I can't assume that my fellow rulers will have been as sensible.

I send a tiny mote of mana into my summoning ring, informing my courtiers that they may enter. I was… A little discomported to discover that in Poseidonis the lower orders use something similar to arrange anonymous sexual liaisons, but thankfully the design is sufficiently dissimilar that I doubt any of them mistook my intentions.

Behind me my advisors file in. Cyprian's acting as my regent in Venturia itself, which… I can't help but feel a little guilty about 'blocking his advancement' like this. Goodness knows he's done more to deserve being my heir than any of the other placeholders I've designated over the decades. When I asked him he told me that he only wanted to serve Venturia to the best of his abilities, and I know that's… True. I also know for a fact that I'd be nothing like as equanimitous in his place. I struck gold there in a way that my own father didn't with me, and I'm sure he'll stay loyal when it becomes obvious that 'Crown Prince' is a near-completely empty title.

But it seems like a waste.

I turn towards the table where my cabinet are now awaiting my presence and swim to my position at the head of the table. I take a moment to make eye contact with everyone, then nod to my Chancellor.

"Your majesty. The first issue on today's agenda is the recent diplomatic initiative from Aurania."

I raise my eyebrows slightly, not irritated but definitely unimpressed.

"What's new about this one?"

"They've asked Poseidonis to act as intermediaries. Which means that things have progressed to the point where they're trying to work around the embargo."

Vexing. Yes, extremely vexing. We try to minimise that sort of thing by requiring end-user authentication for any potentially dangerous products we import. But to a degree we're dependent on High King Orin being willing to allow preferential treatment for particular cities. He's well within his rights to demand that I either allow free trade or at least grant all of our neighbours the same terms. I had thought that we would have another year or so before he got frustrated enough to intervene, but perhaps I misjudged his temperament. Or perhaps Grayven's efforts on David's behalf have pushed him into premature action.

I glance at my Trade Minister.

"Are we certain?"

There wasn't much point in having an Intelligence Minister while we were isolated. There was an intelligence group attached to the guard, but they were there to detect traitors and other criminals. Since we've normalised relations there has been a significant increase in crime -mostly but not exclusively committed by recent immigrants- and a great many more people we need information on. From simple things like regional prices and demand to more… Personal information. Leaving the task of gathering intelligence on other Atlantean cities to the Ministry of Trade is a reasonable way of disguising our purposes… Though in all honesty trade intelligence is what they're focusing on. The quality of our actual foreign political and military intelligence gathering is lamentable.

"We're not certain that High King Orin has made a decision, but instructions are definitely coming from someone in the Poseidonis government."

Which is another reason to avoid centralisation that Orin has completely ignored. Having a High King who is able to act as an autocrat is essential for the good of Atlantis for the same reason that my ability to act as an autocrat within my own city is essential for Venturia. But ruling like that full time for every issue is impossible.

I consider what Grayven told me for a moment.

For anyone but Darkseid, apparently. I'm not certain that I truly understand what living in such a state would be like, but what I can imagine is frightful.

And granting crown officers that same ability in all fields? Madness. It results in little kings and queens infesting the apparatus of government, acting as they will, spreading disorder everywhere they go. And worse, they claim that they're doing it in the name of a monarch who in truth has no idea what they're doing.

Adom and I agree completely about that. The sovereign is above the law. Everyone else must abide by it, even if they claim to be on Crown business.

"Is someone going beyond their authority, or are they acting on the High King's stated desires?"

"I'm sorry, your majesty, I just don't know. Do you want me to put more effort into finding out?"

I'm certain that Grayven would be willing to discover the answer to that. Though I would not be astonished if he decided to find out by walking up to High King Orin and directly asking him. Which isn't a terrible idea, actually, if I prepare a compromise offer in advance to present to him. It would bypass whichever of his minions has an axe to grind -or who has perhaps been bought by the Auranians- which would be convenient. It would also allow me to avoid talking to anyone in the Auranian senate, loathsome worms that they are.

"No, that's alright. We would have had to deal with that eventually, anyway."

"Your majesty? Ah, do we..? Have a concrete objective in our dealings with Aurania? Do we wish for them to become economically weaker than a particular city state? Or… Lose the High King's favour in some way? I understand our historical enmity, but it would help me immensely if I had a better idea of what I was trying to achieve."

He looks nervous, but he has a point. Initially, I decreed that we would grant them only the most unfavourable terms purely out of spite. But as a result of my advanced age I've outlived everyone who had earned my ire. And Ptra..? She's not my daughter in any meaningful way, but the worst I feel for her is a mild contempt.

Probably unfair contempt. It's disappointing to see a fellow ruler be outmanoeuvred by their inferiors when they're an adult, but when it happens to a child it is really their regent who bears the blame. Either for their stupidity or their malice.

Taking her when the High Queen ordered me to leave her in Poseidonis wasn't… Wasn't a practical option, but perhaps I could have arranged for her to be 'abducted' and hidden on the surface? It seems to have worked well enough for 'Arthur Curry'.

No. It's pointless to worry about it now.

"Ultimately, we will be normalising relations with Aurania. We will have to; repairing our relationships with the other City-States requires it. I decreed this course of action in retaliation for those historic injustices we suffered as a result of the actions of the parents and grandparents of the people who rule the city today. They know why they receive far inferior terms of trade, and if they do nothing material to address those causes other than wheedle and complain then they should not expect the situation to change. With regards to the relative harm they are suffering, we will be satisfied when those individuals who benefit from their ancestors' infamy have been made to suffer material economic or political hardship."

He nods cautiously.

"But. If the High King is considering intervening, we will need a plan for changing things in the direction he requires. Preferably something which targets those individuals but allows the common citizenry to gain the benefits of trade. Have your department draft plans and present them at our next meeting."

He nods again, this time more confidently.

"In the mean time I see no benefit in meeting with a new deputation, unless they wish to confess to murdering my late husband and throw themselves upon my mercy. Next item."

"Yes, majesty." The Chancellor nods again. "The detailed oceanographic survey presented to us by Prince Grayven."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well aside from Manta there was Calvin.

And as was previously mentioned, Calvin didn't request a paternity test, so he wouldn't have exactly known that Kaldur wasn't his biological son.

Though if you're talking about Orm, then yeah, by process of elimination he could have figured out that Manta was the dad if he found out Calvin wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he is an Orange Lantern and a conquest god and he also has the personality of an autocrat on his finger, so chances are high he does think that.

'has increasingly been raplaced'

It's like first thinking the internet is a great place to connect with people and see a lot of human history.

Only to then discover internet trolls, Craigslist and who knows what other kinds of filth.

Well you could one day retire and have him run the place.

'the embargo'

Renegade is an extremely irritating being, so if that's the case then it makes a lot of sense.

Give him enough time and he'll probably be able to make Buddhist monks so angry that they can wield a red ring.

Who's sleeping with who.

'like that'

You have no idea.

The author of Life Ore Death made what is perhaps one of the most disturbing depictions I've seen in fiction.

Darkseid had his own cousin be whipped by people who want to have an audience with him, and when he and Savage were walking down the street a woman threw her baby on the ground for him to step on it. He only crushed its legs.

Well that's not a worrying mindset to have.

No siree.

'my ire'

'suffer'

'Preferably

Looks like I was right about this episode focusing on other POV's.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I raise my eyebrows.

"Slow day?"

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm thinking more average day.

And that's just some of the horrors.

Your depiction of Apokalips was good in showing what a nightmare it was, but Obloquy just made it much, much more visceral. At least to me.

And that was in just one chapter.

19. Mr Zoat

So I should capitalise it? Okay.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Queen Clea's perspective? Now I begin to see the shape of this episode: the viewpoints of those Grayven interacts with regularly. And she's closer to the truth than she realises, you'll note. Especially now that he's had a few extra centuries to settle into his role as Acquisition 'Conquest'.

The joy of living a long, long life. The shifts in fashion, architecture, economics, vehicles (for surface dwellers, anyway) and even language must seem incomprehensible at times. The true art of immortality is adapting to change, not staying in stasis and becoming the irascible elder yelling about 'Things was better in mah day!'

Indeed, such an assumption would be foolish at best. In any conglomeration like this, there's always going to be that one ruler... The one everyone else can't stand because of character, behaviour or policies...

That's a little more than I ever wanted to know. Though it's practically the equivalent of a silent text conversation, really.

Heck of a contrast to Paragon's side, where Cyprian has chosen to break away from the rest of the Atlanean city-states. I mean, in that parallel, he honestly believes that's for the best. Still have to wonder how he feels working under a now-immortal queen. Hopefully any hard feelings he has won't turn him into an evil vizier...

A subtle power-play there, and I wonder if she even realises she's really doing it. I mean, she is used to being absolute ruler, so of course they should wait on her convenience...

Ptra's city, eh? Looks like she's still a little unhappy about Mommy still being alive and preventing her from having her throne...

Shutting them out of the sweet surface-worlder trade, eh? I'm reminded of what I said above about 'that one ruler'... I bet Ptra's up there for Clea.

The authentication thing is honestly sensible. Do you particularly want a rival city importing something that could be used against you in anger? And the question then is whether to hold to your guns or give ground...

And annoyingly, trying to discreetly arrange a more refined intelligence agency within your city is that much harder because the rest are all watching closely. And they'd probably take it badly, even though they almost certainly already have such things set up...

For most people. You'd need to be a demi-god with a computer-like brain to manage your time and resources so precisely that you avoid any conflict... Even with the system they have, someone's not going to be happy with this decision or that one...

As bad as Final crisis was, it did give us that damn fine speech from Darkseid (quoted in full):
    "I. AM. THE. NEW. GOD.
    ALL IS ONE IN DARKSEID. THIS MIGHTY BODY IS MY CHURCH.
    WHEN I COMMAND YOUR SURRENDER, I SPEAK WITH THREE BILLION VOICES...
    WHEN I MAKE A FIST TO CRUSH YOUR RESISTANCE. IT IS WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!
    WHEN I STARE INTO YOUR EYES AND SHATTER YOUR DREAMS. AND BREAK YOUR HEART. IT IS WITH SIX BILLION EYES!
    NOTHING LIKE DARKSEID HAS EVER COME AMONG YOU: NOTHING WILL AGAIN.
    I WILL TAKE YOU TO A HELL WITHOUT EXIT OR END.
    AND THERE I WILL MURDER YOUR SOULS!
    AND MAKE YOU CRAWL AND BEG!
    AND DIE!
    DIE! DIE FOR DARKSEID!
    "
    Which pretty much sums up His approach to rulership. You will serve Him, serve as His tools, His weapons, His slaves. If He gives an order, it will be obeyed... All the power is His, and He does not deign to share it.

A very old-fashioned idea, as is Adom's wont. But given the alternative Clea is envisioning? One all too common throughout history? Can you really say he's wrong? The true art of royalty, in this case, is choosing the people who won't fall into that trap.

Well, that depends on how you go about it...

...And yes, I can see Grayven doing exactly that. Which would put a cat amongst the pigeons (A shark amongst the tuna?) in the Auranians' court.

Yes, it would help to have clear goals for this thing. Do you really hate your daughter that much? Or are you at the point where you just don't care anymore, and it's all become an annoyance?

I mean, it's really been what, decades since she last saw her? Outside of any kind of formal gathering of Rulers? At what point do you not feel love for a child anymore? Feel anything, really?

What's done is done, after all. Any possibility would have had its drawbacks, after all. Consider how Arthur has such American ideas about leadership? Could you imagine the ideas Ptra might have gotten from whatever country she was placed? What if she'd died in hiding? Too many 'what if's'.

Subtly worded, but I have no doubt the people it's targetted at will pick up on her subtext. As for what they do about it? Well...

Heh. No rush, after all. I see she knows the smartest aspect of Autocracy: Delegate the work to those best at it, then look it over when they're done. Preferably with a clear and truthful explanation...

Heh, those would be a big advantage in controlling their boundaries. I can just see them trotting them out at some border dispute down the line...

Hmm, Darko may have called it about the multiple viewpoints, but we'll need to wait on the next couple of days to be sure. Still, it will be refreshing to see other people's perspectives on Grayven and his works. And no doubt refreshing for Mr Zoat to take a break from writing solely from his SI's viewpoints.

...to be 'abducted' and hidden on the surface?

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    If I fix it before you post, it doesn't count.

Caerwen, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 2 others like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We don't know all that much about her, so this feels a little hostile to her.

It could be this, or it could be that she just doesn't agree with her mother's decisions but still may love her.

So basically Roboute Gulliman.

Which doesn't exactly have all that high rate of a success.

It may also be a bit frustrating, since we don't really see alternate viewpoints that much in this story.

And when we see them they usually tend to be alternate versions of Paul, so they tend to feel the same.

There were a few from time to time, with that League training episode being the biggest example, but that's about it.

In other fics, like Assimilation and Life Ore Death, we see alternate viewpoints pretty frequently, so it's easier there, but it may be a bit more difficult with this story.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I remember that when the Renegade recruited Black Manta that he was uncertain. Basically he was only 50% sure that Aqualad is his biological son.

Darko likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, before renegade told him he had no idea.

Before they had their brains fried or were eaten.

Did a great job at raising a good and exemplary young man who has done many great things.

Technically it used to be a global network of supervillains that was meant to beat the League.

And I wouldn't say his belief in that was due to reading too many comics, but rather just what he's seen in his line of work.

25. Mr Zoat

That was more him calling Sha'lain'a a giant hobag.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"The sovereign is above the law. Everyone else must abide by it,"

And that is why we got rid of the aristocracy. Everytime someone new comes into power you flip the coin for thousands or millions of lifes.

Unacceptable.

And immortality means that one ruler's set of values and whims dictates things for eternity

I don't think I like her very much

Caerwen, Vorian, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

A Clea POV is pretty interesting, and if we are going to get POVs of the Light 2.0 I will be really happy. I do agree that she was in the right about the stuff with Aurania once you get all the facts, but I don't particularly understand why she's in Poseidonis now, though, or what her overall aim is now that Venturia is in this position. I can't even recall when she got together with Black Manta (good on him though, I imagine she's a pretty beautiful GILF, soon to be MILF, and if he's into femdom...).

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think she's in Poseidonis to strengthen her position in Atlantis and further the new Lights interest in that part of the world.

29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah that. I didn't realize the ALE was Anti-Lofe Equation.
    Thanks.
    What about actual Grayven breaking free though?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We know he's doing his own thing now, conquering people, but I don't think it was mentioned how he got away.

Either Darkseid let him go, or he slipped past him.

Doccer likes this.