1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - New Game

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Fulcon

Fulcon Not working on it anymore. Sorry.

Happens to the best of us friend. :)

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Know what you're doing yet?

A couple grammar things that are super easy to fix:

Therapy's and Bandit's are the possessive forms. You want the plural. Therapies and Bandits.

Broadly speaking in English:
    Plural adds an s or es.
    Singular possessive adds an 's.
    Plural possessive adds an s'.

it's always means 'it is'. The apostrophe is a contraction of the two words.

You want its here, without the apostrophe. This is an exception to the usual rule above.

Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  3. asdo

asdo Experienced.

or since he has perfect chakra control, he could try just applying chakra to his nerves and then adding lightning chakra to it? speed up his mind? gotta be able to react fast enough to keep up with his body enhancements

4. Fulcon

Fixed, thank you. Have a cookie.

More or less what I understood to be LRCM to be, except not just the nerves, but full body. But you make a good point. :)

5. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

Not that it matters given that Daisuke can recover from any damage just by sleeping.

In fact, that kind of effect might be especially useful since it makes AoE attacks in close range especially effective.

Good chapter by the way.

So how long before Daisuke gets a railgun technique going just as a long-range option?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Coldbluestreak, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  6. Fulcon

Thank you very much!

This information...might become more relevant than I originally thought as we go on.

Hm.

Have a cookie, thank you for your contribution.

It'll be a while. Most likely, we're looking at him getting high ninjutsu, then high ranged weapons and since he gets 17 skill points per level that'll be...~ten levels if he started chugging those points right now.

7. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Okay first, good to clear up EXACTLY where the Anko relationship currently is. Making out, readily, but no further. Simple, and straightforward, which I appreciate. Too many romances think that even understanding the basics of where things stand should require a fucking decoder ring. I have several metaphorical decoder rings mind you, but I feel requiring them to understand basic relationship states is a stupid trend that shouldn't have started.

Second, yes indeed having teammates form an acquaintanceship that doesn't directly pass through the main character is good whether the subjects are male or female.

Third, I wanna correct a misconception about Kakashi, and the rasengan. Kakashi can absolutely do it, one handed even when he got Naruto to invent the prototype wind rasengan. The thing he couldn't do was add elemental chakra to the ball. Lightning isn't uniquely bad for this, and wind isn't uniquely good. Naruto had immense trouble with wind too, even after he cut through the damn waterfall.

The unique breakthrough Naruto had was adding an additional clone to focus purely on the wind element transformation. He tried that, and almost immediately he transitioned from the jutsu collapsing explosively to a working if incomplete prototype. My evidence for rasengan being neutral to elements is later when Naruto gain like twenty elemental transformations in the Madara fight, and started vomiting new rasengan types for fun.

Why is all this important? The chidori isn't the lightning variant of the rasengan. The chidori is a much simpler shape manipulation with masterful element transformation applied. An actual lightning rasengan variant wouldn't hit a neutral rasengan, and cancel out with both users thrown back tens of feet. It would hit the neutral counterpart, break it, keep going likely through the enemy's entire arm in the process. Just like how the wind prototype got through and fucked up Kakashi's hand a bit.

Finally, yes I love how the Lee conversation went, and I absolutely notice the taking the Gai and Lee writing advice taking effect.

8. Fulcon

Thank you. Honestly, in my view, relationships shouldn't be hard to understand, they should be instinctual. We're still animals, after all. But, apparently, they aren't for some reason. Needed to read like three books and read an endless supply of internet blogs before things started to make sense to me.

Truth, but I was referring to the Bechdel test specifically (which I consider a joke because of how low it sets the bar).

I am aware of all of that. I just noted that instead of using the Rasengan, Kakashi went through the trouble of creating his own jutsu instead of trying to make lightning Rasengan work. Maybe I put a little too much emphasis on that, but I wanted to make sure people didn't start wanting Daisuke to use the Rasengan + Lightning.

Though to be fair, Rasengan + Lightning isn't that bad of an idea just not sure it feels right.

Yes, your advice was extremely helpful. Thank you again, have a cookie.

9. Extras: Informative: Element Chart - prussian-granadier
    prussian-granadier

prussian-granadier Versed in the lewd.

what is daisukes other nature? he may as well develop a kekkei genkai with it

[​IMG]

if his second nature is fire, like its statistics most likely he would probably get some sort of plasma release, which would be interesting since plasma has way more interesting properties then "be really hot"

it can be used in things like lightsabers, atomic explosions, very precise cutting, plasma can also separate the atoms of things that come in contact with it, making it for a small version of particle style

plasma is also extremely corrosive, which actually make a lot of sense as the opposite fire element is lava style witch accounts for acid jutsu

then there is the combination of both wind and lightning, which I'm calling thunder release since there already is a lightning and storm release

it could be a style focused on the use of atmospheric electricity, with Kirin being one of the principal techniques.

You could also be subtle about it, using static electricity to spy on people like Garaa does with sand, making you the equivalent of a sensor type ninja

it may also give you access to other electromagnetic abilities that aren't available for either magnet release or storm release.

storm release is unlikely due to his aforementioned lack of wind chakra

and explosion style is extremely rare in its natural form, with Diedara's version being a bastardization that required extensive modification to use

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  10. Fulcon

In the previous draft of the story, Daisuke had five perks called 'Elemental Training' (or something, I forget) and once he got that perk, they combined with his other elements to create the fusion.

Here, I rebalanced it by requiring a perk for the Fusions before Daisuke can use them.

So the answer to your question is 'Yes' and 'Depends'.

I'm aiming for Creation Release in the distant future - hopefully Daisuke actually reaches level 50 by the time the fic ends instead of at the start of act 2.

Also, I thread-marked your post so I can come back to it later for reference. Thank you, have a cookie.

11. Galacticplumber

I think the miscommunication on the Rasengan thing came from talking about Kakashi abandoning Rasengan due to lightning nature, instead of say... Not getting any flavor of element into the ball.

I totally get not wanting Daisuke to use any form of Rasengan. He has no direct connection to its inventor, the only person who can even use it he knows doesn't, and thematically that is Naruto's shit. Just clearing up what looked like a misconception.

As for the discussion on self damage, there's a very good reason most forms of elemental Jutsu either get launched out of the body as quickly as possible, get channeled into some focal point outside the body, or manipulate the element in the environment. Yes indeed element chakra can very easily hurt you, and the only guys to buff their physical bodies with it for extended periods where fucking Kage. Different chakra flavors interacting with the body with anything short of the pinnacle of elemental control would have nasty side effects.

Lightning, for example, would fuck with anything that could be considered a nerve or a muscle, or things directly reliant on connections to same for function. This includes heart, lungs, brain, every muscle group, and all manner of pain receptors.

Attempting to use such as a non master elementalist would be immensly dangerous even briefly, and the process of training mishaps leading to that mastery could well shorten life expectancy even with medics present during training. I wouldn't even consider going near this on any serious level without that fucking hacker healing bullshit. Not saying that last line to disparage the writing quality or the healing. Just giving a sample of how any knowledgeable nin is going to react to the lightning mode pain into healing combo.

Varying levels of jealousy, fear, awe, anger, and exasperation depending on just who the knowledgeable nin is.

Victor-Figueiredo, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  12. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

The fact that Magnet release is not Earth+Lightning is so weird.
    He could use a shadow clones to all least test the requiments to succeed in doing that though.

That's already a pretty method to achieve it without killing on self.

Relyt33 likes this.
  13. Galacticplumber

Likely based on three factors. One, Jutsu combos are based more on concept than scientific realism,

Two there are multiple natures that manipulate how elements move. Lightning result in straight, angular, fast, and jerky movement manipulation, where wind is more widespread force pushing a thing in either a general direction or a swirling pattern. This is how the sand moves.

Three, the first user of magnet released in canon, and thus the elemental style itself, is themed around SANDSTORMS. There was never not going to be wind with that earth.

Relyt33 likes this.
  14. prussian-granadier

No problem man, I think that he could try to create a version of Body Supremacy based on chakra control, it's an incredibly useful power that requires control above all else, I recommend reading The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, an amazing comic series that touches upon that.

This of course includes the 8 gates, as someone with body supremacy would be able to use the gate with much less strain and would be able to mitigate the negative effects pretty easily, basically keeping the gates open and restraining the damage yourself you can go from zero to 300 in no time as the gates are already open

and it not like opening the gates is a secret exclusive to guy/lee, Kakashi can open the first or second gate if I'm not mistaken

there is also the super long techniques, like the one from Fuen in the twelve guardian ninja arc:

in fact, its probably one of the arcs that you should look at, the whole 12 guardian ninja is absolutely ideal to make into a fic arc

and there is those shaolin ninja with Neteros powers from hunter x hunter, if you ever decide on Daisuke becoming a god/wondering the nations without a sense of purpose then this is an ideal stop:

Relyt33 likes this.
  15. Fulcon

I appreciate that. Sorry if I seemed hostile, just trying to get the facts out there.

Hehehehehehehehehe...

Oh, these are a very fine and entertaining pair of paragraphs.

Now, I have a question.

I gave my reasoning for why LRCM would be a Chakra Control only jutsu, just like the Rasengan (can't find any hand seals for it). Is that reasoning sound or do you have an argument as to why a Ninjutsu check should be thrown up there?

(Actually, I can think of one: He's adding Elemental Chakra to an otherwise neutral Jutsu).

Oh, Daisuke's going to get a lot of mileage out of his healing factor. I mean, he did in the previous draft too, but I could see him getting even more.

This arc might just be the first real introduction everyone has to the bull**** that is Daisuke. He might not be as BS as he used to be, but he is still plenty BS.

They've gotten a taste of it, but they don't know the power of the gamer side.

Sadly, he can't do shadow clones. Yet. But that'd be a great way to test a lot of things that are probably horrifically lethal!

A true thing!

Body Supremacy isn't bad. Probably need a higher Medicine skill before he could do anything like will himself to 10 Strength or anything.

My disappointment that the Akatsuki won that fight is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Flutters Is Shy and Relyt33 like this.
  16. prussian-granadier

there is also the hundred seal, its pretty much just an additional battery for chakra, cant remember if Daisuke already has it or not

and apparently it gives you the ability to summon the slugs? it would be fun, the slugs are super unexplored in both canon and fanfics, if you don't want to go back to the penguins that is

and combined with 8 gates there is also an interesting question

and the seven heavenly breaths:

Relyt33 likes this.
  17. Fulcon

He does not have it, he just has The Punch.

I cannot abandon penguins, sir. For they are birds that swim and pantomime tuxedos. They are, in a word, adorable.

Opening the gates is something that Daisuke is capable of learning and probably...might.

Actually, could he learn that from Books or Jutsu scrolls?

Or is that a family technique passed down from Maito Dai to Gai to Lee?

18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That was a good read. I can't elaborate atm, at work. But I'll reread tonight and talk about it.

19. Galacticplumber

I would argue that yes, anything involving elemental chakra is related to Ninjutsu. You can have phenomenal chakra control, but not have much elemental powers. That's how low ranking med nin, and genjutsu nin roll. They're different skills.

It can still come out to play though. Not being able to bring much lightning power the first time trying the move will probably help with avoiding the lightning electrocution of the self, which would be him.

Gonna be fucking glorious watching Kakashi and Gai have a fucking conniption. Both are loyalty obsessed mother hen characters, and Daisuke is gonna play not one, but TWO of the all encompassing body systems like the bongos from hell.

20. Fulcon

Hey, glad to see you! :)

Yeah, that's what I figured, thank you very much.

Let's me keep his power level stable without such a blatant exploit.

Hehehehehehehehehehe...I can't wait to write it.

21. Extras: Informational - Naruto Power Levels - Numbers.
    Fulcon

Behold! The internal rating system I use to rank Daisuke's abilities; bask in their numerical glory!

Genin - Levels 1 - 10, Skills 0 - 20.

Chunin - Levels 11 - 20, Skills 21 - 40.

Jounin - levels 21 - 30, Skills 41 - 60.

Kage - levels 31 - 40, Skills 61 - 80.

Chosen Ones - Levels 41 - 50, Skills 81 - 100.

So his Chakra Control is Chosen One, Taijutsu is upper Kage and everything else is around Chunin.

Except for stealth.

That is solidly upper Genin, which is pathetic compared to Nichiren and Hisako who are both phenomenally talented at it.

That, and Kakashi had high standards for Infiltration.

22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

An even split, instead of exponential?

23. Fulcon

Exponential is implied?

Yeah, I'll stop BSing.

I don't quite know, I'm just working with Fallout's SPECIAL game system and my gut.

24. Taliesin

Taliesin Know what you're doing yet?

A linear progression makes sense with the way the Fallout system works, where it's just as costly to gain points no matter how advanced or early they are.

25. Galacticplumber

Also just to answer the question about where knowledge of the gates could come from. There are three historical users who go heavy in Gates. Gai's father, Maito Dai used the eighth gate in a sacrifice play to kill every single living member of the seven swordsmen of the mist at the same time during the second great shinobi war. Gai we all know, and same for Lee. The upper forms are generally only used by them, with the lower maybe seeing use by high Jonin. Doubly so Jonin with a link to the Maito lineage, like Kakashi who we saw use first gate to clime a sheer cliff with one arm, and no wall walking.

Obviously you could learn the gates from Gai, and similar.

On the other hand, as a technique with heavy self cost, risk, and ultimately nigh certain death you'd also find it in the Forbidden Jutsu Scroll.TM

26. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

Kakashi can at least use the first gate. Given Daisuke's level of chakra control and taijutsu it's fair to say he can probably figure it out on his own.

RichardWhereat, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  27. MMMm

MMMm Know what you're doing yet?

Sometimes I feel like Lee and Tenten should have been folded into the same character.

When you've got a guy who can't use ninjutsu and genjutsu, you'd think he would focus on weapons since they're equalizers and are deadly as long as you can hit someone with one.

But Lee doesn't use weapons except nunchucks like Guy uses, because weapons are Tenten's thing.

It's funny to think that Lee limited his growth by deciding to completely copy Guy, who has advantages that Lee doesn't have. Such as a summoning contract and the ability to perform jutsu.

I saw a fanfic once where Lee decided to use Silent Killing with smoke bombs and he trained himself to smell people and sense air currents so he could fight while blind. It gives him something that makes him unique and not a clone of Guy. While Guy could certainly fight blind and he's got a style based on observing people's feet to fight Sharingan users, he's probably never trained to fight like how Zabuza does.

Daisuke didn't think about it at the time, but he could have wandered away from the group a bit and repeatedly tried to wait until he was able to triangulate where the "enemy" was. If there was a hidden person watching them who is able to hide from Neji's eyes, Daisuke would have been able to wait and find out where they are.

It's similar to how you try and wiggle around to find places where hostile enemies can't pathfind to you in Bethesda games, or when you want to place your bed down so you can sleep in Minecraft. There's usually eventually a place where you're able to wait.

It would also be good to test how far the range is. Could a hostile be miles away from you, lining up a shot with a sniper rifle and you wouldn't be able to wait? The fact that it worked on Kurama who was far away from him says yes. Or is that only because of Kurama's fantastic combat potential? Would a single hostile ninja in the village who can only attack in a range of a few meters around him cause Daisuke to be unable to wait, even if he's on the other side of town? Would the answer to the previous question change if this ninja was meant to attack Daisuke?

How hostile is hostile? What criteria does it use to determine an enemy? Presumably anyone who wants to do you harm. And is capable of acting at the moment to do that harm.

They could also do some tests to see if it pings on dangerous animals who don't know of your existence. Would a boar or a bear prevent you from waiting even if it may or may not attack you if it spots you?

Another idea is to test out if it detects hidden enemies. The Hokage could tell Daisuke that he's ordered one person in a group of ninjas to jump Daisuke and attack him in taijutsu for a minute after 30 minutes has passed. Daisuke is then able to separate the people and test and see if he can wait around them. Would the hidden intentions of this "assassin" be sensed and prevent him from waiting?

And what happens if the Hokage gave none of these ninjas such an order, but everyone thinks he did but knows they're not the one he told to attack Daisuke? Would it let him wait because there's no danger and nothing is going to happen?

So this one mechanic introduces some very interesting questions and it could potentially be used in a lot of fun ways depending on how it works in this universe.

bluepencil, IdrisXY, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  28. Fulcon

You make an interesting point. Personally, I'm thinking I'd like to see Lee grow out of his mini-Gai phase and into his own person (with his original hair style, because I actually kind of liked it). Mastering all of the Taijutsu is a part of that; sure, he can't see Tenketsu, but that doesn't stop Gentle Fist from being good at countering ninjutsu at it's highest mastery, just like it doesn't stop drunken Lee from being the best thing in Naruto.

Also...Lee kind of did stunt his growth by becoming a copy of Gai, didn't he?

Huh.

That is not a bad idea.

I am not ready to answer any of these questions, but they're great food for thought.

Have a cookie.

29. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

I don't think it was stunted for copying Gai.
    You have to remember that while Lee couldnt use Ninjutsu or Genjutsu, that didn't mean he had a talent for Taijutsu, his regular abilities were still mediocre.

If he hadnt focused so much in training his body, he might not have had graduated.

And without Gai's training he wouldnt have reached his insane level.

Plus, you know. He's learning from a master directly with Gai.
    Other teachers, if he even managed to find them, would not have given him the same attention and he would not have developed as much.
    I just realized this but, you do remember that Lee here isnt the powerhouse from canon, right?
    I mean, this is a year younger lee.
    He might not even be wearing his weights right now, and probably doesnt even know about the inner gates.

Fulcon and Relyt33 like this.
  30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

How did Rock Lee graduate, given he was worse at the basic three than Naruto? Because it seemed like he met Gai after graduating and getting his team assignment.

Fulcon, Relyt33 and RichardWhereat like this.