1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

https://www.wordsense.eu/mergerentur/

Ante is added.

So I would guess this is indeed a compound Latin made up word.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

At this time I would like to talk about the elephant in the room.

Previously on "Leave it to Grayven," When Grayven was running around dealing with killing the worlds problems with the Sword of the Fallen, he tracked down Mordru. Mordru was currently wearing a Arion like a Meatsuit. [MIB]an Arion-Meatsuit. a Arionsuit.[/MIB].

Through some shenanigans including tracking down someone Immune To Destiny (because Mordru had made a page from Destiny's Book into a phylactery), and a deal with a Wizardess-turned-sexslave (to keep Mordru imprisoned and powerless after reincarnating-as-a-mortal from being killed with the Sword of the Fallen), Mordru ended up dead.

Of interest, is that Mordru told Grayven he had taken over the Atlantean Archmage Ahri'ahn's body and was walking around in it.
    And that when Mordru was killed, that should also have killed Ahri'ahn, in the same 'reborn as a powerless mortal with all Arcane might stripped away' process.

When Grayven finds out who exactly this is in the segment, none of that is referenced.
    Not even a "I knew you were trapped, and could have saved you, but didn't because I heard you were a quack of a mage who spread around shitty adaptation spells after Atlantis fell. And also, being the suckass court wizard who sucked so much he wasn't able to keep his kingdom above water," insulting kind of way.

And also, how did Mr. Old-And-Racist build his arcane power back up to his old level in so short a time?

I thought gaining personal power (without resorting to channeling the powers of elemental beings) was like developing a soul, where you had to absorb magical 'stuff' into your 'arcane construct'/soul slowly over time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. Bramble Thorn

And also, Arion isn't even the guy who killed him's name.
    As in, Ahri'ahn never called himself Arion, and never had people call him Arion.

It looks like there was a Great Vowel Shift in Atlantis sometime after he left, so it isn't just the written form changing, the two words don't even sound the same.

Like, you would have to be a real asshole to be offended at some guy you don't know being called something you were never called.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Mordru, not Oggar.

Oggar was killed off panel.

As for Arion's power level, maybe Zoat is finally acknowledging the fact that in DC a wizard can convert energy.

Arion for example, likes powering his magic with solar energy.

5. Bramble Thorn

Corrected. Thanks. Don't know why I was thinking Mordu was Oggar.

Also, did Grayven kill Oggar?
    Wasn't that the one from the time of Shazam (the Wizard and not the Superhero)

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, Mordru never took over a body.

The one he was using was his own, he just made it look young.

And renegade didn't make a deal with that chick to find a powerless Mordru.

He didn't even know about the depowering thing then.

After he discovered a depowered Klarion he went to Xerox to warn them about Mordru, but found out they caught him and killed him.

Knightley did name himself after Ahri'ahn.

It also does sound really similar when you say it aloud.

And Ahri'ahn is an asshole.

Oggar was a former ally of the Wizard that went rogue.

Teth Adom killed him with the Sword of the Fallen .

I think Circe, who had a history with him, helped

Ngamer11, Chaoswind and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Stsword

Yes, he was bragging about it to Discord.

Also Shade the Changing Man for whatever reason.

Gravy has been a busy little bee off panel.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He was apparently trying to transform the people of a town to look like his ex girlfriend.

9. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th July 2012
    18:06 GMT -3

It is quiet, when I fly like this.

12th July 2012
    17:06 GMT -4

I have been told by the scholars of this era that it is because I am flying faster than the sound my flight generates.

12th July 2012
    16:06 GMT -5

It is almost poetic. I questioned them as to why I could see myself, and they told me that light is far faster than sound.

12th July 2012
    15:06 GMT -6

I had suspected, but it was still pleasant that the people of this era could measure such things; that the understanding is so widespread that it is common knowledge.

A world of scholars. A pleasing idea.

12th July 2012
    14:06 GMT -7

Lord Atum, grant me the power to strike down my enemies.

12th July 2012
    13:06 GMT -8

My fists strike what even to my eyes appears to be empty air, shards of colour, pressure and broken magics exploding away from the point of impact! For an instant the chaotic one is visible, surprise and fear clear on his face. I reach to grasp him, but fast as thought he calls his magics about him and vanishes once more.

Frustrating.

I look down at the damage he has wrought to the home of my ally, the strange living head called 'Cranius'. The towers of his vassals and merchants are torn and broken, though fortunately the homes of his people appear mostly unharmed. There is a woman in dark clothing running across-. Ah, Grayven's champion Iname. It is still strange to see others moving when I move with Lord Aker's blessing. She is.. carrying a wounded person. Swift though she is, she has no particular skill in fighting evil magicians.

Still, that should have unmade any spells he had active over the area.

I feel-. The wizard-!? No. No, an altogether more pleasant sight. Circe and her apprentice Sunset Shimmer stepping slowly out of thin air. Their spell must be near-instant for me to be able to notice it.

Lord Zehuti, clear my mind. Reveal to me my enemy's magic.

I look around, trying to discern his location or where he may attack again. The style of the magic is somewhat familiar to me; the similarity to Queen Gamemnae's magic marks it unmistakably as Atlantean. Old Atlantean. But why would an Atlantean attack Cranius's demesne? He does not threaten their territory, their people or their trade. Has he offended their gods, perhaps? That seems more likely. When I asked him about his gods he claimed to only acknowledge a fertility goddess, and I do not think that he was being entirely serious.

But when I look beyond the traces of Atlantean magic, I see… I do not recognise it, but smaller amounts of magic almost everywhere that has been damaged. Did the Atlantean find his magic offensive, then?

I descend, pushing Lord Aker's blessing away far enough that I can meaningfully interact with people who move at normal speeds.

"Madam Circe. Madam Shimmer."

Circe smiles warmly, and I-. I find myself responding. She is an interesting woman.

"Teth Adom, have you won already? That would be most discourteous after we came all this way."

Sunset Shimmer looks around at the damage that the magician has wrought.

"Yeah, I don't think this is over. Not unless you hit him so hard he just exploded."

"I regret that I did not. My blow neutralised his magics, but he appeared to have prepared for such a thing occurring."

"By punching-? No, that's not important right now. Grayven!"

Something approaches, and I draw upon Lord Aker's blessing in preparation for an attack. But no, it is just Iname, carrying a creature wearing an ill-fitting-.

"Giovanni!"

Ill-fitting suit. I frown as Iname lays him on the ground and Sunset Shimmer rushes to examine him. Giovanni.. Zatara? The clothing matches, but the figure's lower legs are those of some manner of great insect and have torn through his trousers.

"Oh my." Circe regards him with concerned interest as Sunset Shimmer calls her magic to her. "I seldom used insect transformation on my subjects. But the core principles of the metamorphosis should be the same. Anton Arcane did study transformative magic as well as biomancy."

"It's still going it's still going it's still going…"

Sunset Shimmer pulls his shirt apart with a strength I did not know that she possessed, revealing his bare chest-. It is still mostly human, though it is as if chitin were climbing up his flesh, covering his skin. A transformation curse, then. I have seen such things before.

"Adom, can you..? Fix this? Punch him?"

"Sunset, focus. Even if Adom could remove all of the magic used in this transformation, it's only-."

"Only partially magical, because Arcane used biotechnology and that wouldn't be affected. Yes, yes."

Sunset Shimmer is a brilliant and powerful young woman, but she is clearly unseasoned if she forgot herself like that.

"Adom, would you be a dear and check on Grayven? Sunset and I can handle this."

My pride bridles at being dismissed in such a manner. But she is an ally, and she is not wrong. To remove such a curse requires speed and skill with magic that I lack, and with no visible enemy there is little I can do to help them.

"Mister Teth Adom?" Iname smiles brightly at me, her expression entirely at odds with our surroundings. Why is she happy? "Master is in the Uncorporation building."

'Master'? No, no, not a slave. A devoted servant. There are such among the people of Khandaq, who foolishly call me a god. I had never thought to give them power, but she is clearly dutiful in his service.

I nod, calling upon Lord Aker's blessings in full.

"Show me."

She runs, and I run after her. I usually do not like to touch the ground, but if these are to be my peers in this new world, I can lower myself that much. The broken streets pass in less than the blink of a mortal eye, the slighted wall around Cranius's school an instant later. Inside the building Grayven is wrestling with a bizarre monster that looks like a giant mosquito, both locked in place as statues due to the difference in our speeds. The monster looks as though it could kill a great many mortal men, though I cannot see why one so strong as Grayven is having difficulty in slaying it.

I draw back my left fist-.

"No!"

Iname's hand is on my forearm. Such impertinence! I am not some dog to be pulled up by their collar-!

"They were people before they were transformed! Most of them were soldiers!"

And at once my anger departs me. Of course. A king would hear of monsters and send soldiers, assuming that even if the monsters were stronger individually the cohort would still be able to slay them. But if the wounded soldiers were transformed, he would simply be increasing the threat. By the time someone contained them, the original monster would be the least of his concerns.

"How has Grayven commanded you to fight them?"

"Don’t get infected. Every part of their body can transform you. Hit them into a boom tube and we can send them back to their cells."

I nod.

"Call upon the boom tubes. I am more resilient than you, and it would be best for us to resolve this quickly."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'once more'

Well if Arion has a god complex, then maybe.

Pretty much.

Iname is... an interesting character.

In the Chinese sense of the word.

Yeah he floated a bit above ground to assert his dominance.

Yeah, this Adom is less mellow than paragon Adom.

11. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

It's interesting seeing this Adom's though processes. I especially like the clash of his old rule mentality against the reality of the new times and how he has to adjust. I like the paragon one more as a person but renegade Adom is still quite fascinating.

12. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Was reading through some old posts and noticed this typo.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Having read ahead, we see this is Teth Adom. That makes just about every member of the New Light, bar OG Lex. Though I'm surprised he's flying to the emergency rather than using a Boom Tube... Then again, looking at the timestamps...

Indeed. I suspect Superman doesn't experience it quite this quietly. His enhanced hearing would pick up the rush of air, the sounds of nearby aircraft and birds, even the land below... To be honest, I'm amazed enhanced senses aren't part of the package, barring benefits from the Wisdom of Zehuti.

Yes, quite a bit so. It's impressive that he's thought to learn more about things outside of ruling. Even without the Wisdom, though, he is a smart man.

Though most don't care about the mechanics of such. Like those of his birth-era, most people are content in relative ignorance as long as they're comfortable. The more things change, the more some never do.

Time to righteously face-punch...

...Ah, that explains why Arion the Elder fled without giving a fight. Grayven simply didn't notice Adom arriving because he was distracted by Zatara getting stung.

I wonder if Billy ever takes the time to spend a moment accelerated, watching his teammates in the League or the Team? It would probably be a fascinating benefit of super-speed... The ultimate in people-watching.

Here they come to help Zatara, as Grayven called in at the end of Circe's chapter. Let's hope they can do something. Worst case, they might have to get Cranius to do the decapitation shuffle with him...

To be fair, he probably found that shape intensely arousing, strange as we might consider it. Then again, consider how some parts of the internet look at 'nagas' (as they define them...) :oops:

Ah well, the restful pause has to stop sometime. Back to the hustle and bustle of normal speed.

Heh. No Adrienna here to become Isis, is there? Not yet anyway. So Adom is still a widowed bachelor...

Some win, huh? The Un-Men will be cleaning up for a while...

Typical archmage: Contingency upon contingency. Bet he has protections against the ol' 'Scry-and-Die' trick too.

Ah, one thing he can't punch better...

And unlike comics, I bet the crotch is torn right through. No 'Magic Pants' here. :D Gonna be embarrassing when he recovers.

Iname sounds worried... Unless that's Zatara, in which case it's even worse as he gets to feel his flesh changing...

What do you think this is, 'Exalted'? No Solars punching illnesses out of people here. Nor Twilights stealing it right out of him...

They might need to get Cranius and Crassus to help reverse it, then, or some Atlanteans. If they can stop the conversion process from killing him here..

At least she's got guts. Both to overcome her revulsion, and to talk to Adom like that... :p Bet she'll have a panic fit later, though.

Ah, Misa, unflappably chipper. Because 'Master' is in charge of things, and he'll fix it.

Oh, he's getting ideas about empowering loyal allies, isn't he? Bet that'll have repercussions down the road if he goes through with it. Hmm... He wouldn't be the sort to share his divine blessings (not in this timeline anyway,) but powers from Grayven's stock of super-serums, maybe...

Ah, Adom, such old-fashioned logic. Of course you kill monsters. That's the way of ancient heroism...

Easy, hero. You haven't got all the facts. I would have expected Zehuti to be whispering in his ear those same words...

Got it in one, smart guy. Containment is the order of the day this time. To kill innocents not responsible for their actions? No honour in that.

See, now that, he can do. Just has to be careful to pull his punches enough...

Still wouldn't want to put the resilence to the test, though. Considering they went through Zatara's defences like they weren't there... Not that Adom knows that... Presumably if they stay accelerated, Iname can fill him in as they fight.

That old-time Hero logic coming through at times... If there's one thing the Paragon's Adom has learned, it's that modern times are more.. reserved about killing their foes. Adom's still got a lot to learn, but he's at least smart enough to know that he does. And between him and Grayven, the Insectoids should be under control sooner rather than later...

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Superman once punched time, so maybe it's not that far fetched.

Technically I think even modern people would do that.

Assuming he even knew they used to be people.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Punching will continue until the patient heals!

And considering this is a comic universe it actually works!!!

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's a British English thing.

17. Stsword

Superboy Prime to be specific.

18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That's really not what I meant, but now I'm not certain how to clearly articulate what I did mean.

I hadn't realized how optimistic you were.

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, good thing Grayven has such useful and powerful allies.

Silver Age Superman could move so fast he traveled back in time if he feel like it.

This may be the age of information but too much information just confuses people.

Look at for example, all the definitions the world "play" can have, is freaking insane.

20. Stsword

While the Flash needed the cosmic treadmill to do such things, which indicates that Superman was in fact faster than the Flash.

Getting to the finish line before the race starts is hard to beat.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Impulse used to be able to move so fast he created time clones, then one of the clones was killed and he was not and the trauma stopped him.of using that ability again.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I suspect paragon Adom's thought processes are largely similar and we just haven't had a PoV update to demonstrate it. He does do a good job of keeping his internal monologue to himself, after all.

Unless Superman's super-hearing is metaphysical in nature instead of just being exceptionally good at identifying signals out of the sound waves that strike his eardrums, Superman's flight would be fairly similar. The speed of sound isn't just the rate at which sound travels -- it's the speed at which forces propagate. Inside the shock cone, the air is moving at the same speed as the aircraft(/superhero) because it's being carried along. Pressure waves outside the cone will mostly get caught up in the shockwave and deflected. Most of the sound is going to be from the edges of the shockwave intersecting with your body.

23. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

24. Jordisk

Jordisk Versed in the lewd.

I am now caught up with this story, after like my sixth time trying to read it. I just had to remember to NOT read the Renegade chapters, so I didn't quit in frustration at how deliberately contrary the Renegade SI is. Now I just have to wait for more main-line chapters.

25. Mr Zoat

An un-man. None of the sources in the comics are unbiased or in a position to know everything. Janus Senior said that she was created by Anton Arcane in an attempt to create a new and more vital body for himself, but he ended up deciding not to use her. People who have sex with her begin growing bits of an un-man inside themselves. That's where Janus Junior came from.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well...I did not know that.

And I wish I never found out.

boo600, Xmaster3000, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  27. jasonh23761

Brother.

Get the flamer.

The heavy flamer.

boo600, Someguy Somewhere and Ardy like this.
  28. jasonh23761

Makes sense to me.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Paragon-Adom was recently married to someone he greatly respects and has a positive relationship with Shazam’s new champion. Plus I reckon he received more positive encouragement when it came to understanding modern religions like Islam (recall Paragon-Adom had a Muslim advisor that was basically pro-magic to boot).

Paragon Paul also helped him deal with some emotional baggage like his first wife too.

Ngamer11, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I wonder if we're going to get an Iname POV during this arc. All of the other major players in this attack (other than Arion I guess) have gotten one.