1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th July 2012
    13:09 GMT -8

I nod to Adom as he holds the ten-legged lamprey… Not an insectoid, taxonomically speaking, but an un-man insectoid. It thrashes helplessly as Adom holds its mouth closed and I direct Mother Box to open a hush tube. I use a construct to block as it squirts blood at him from its eyes, then Adom turns and throws it through the tube and back into containment.

And close.

"Are there more?"

Ring?

None found.

"No, that's it." I manage a strained smile and offer him my right hand. "Thank you for coming."

He clasps my forearm and I return the gesture.

"I regret that I was not able to stop the wizard permanently."

"Ancient wizards don't live to be ancient by being easy to kill."

"I am painfully aware of that."

He is rather.. fixated on the idea of taking revenge on Jebediah. Shazam. Whatever. I've made it clear that I'm not going to be lending him my knife for that, but there's no percentage in trying to talk him out of something he feels that strongly about. Perhaps he might come to regard hunting Ahri'ahn as practice?

Mother Box, hush tube to Kahndaq.

Ping.

"Much as Cranius and I appreciate you being here, given your international status…"

He nods. "Call upon me should he reappear."

He flies through the opening, and I close it before opening another back to the street where Sunset and Circe were working on saving Zatara. I step through, blinking…

I can't exactly see magic, but I can.. feel things being… Twisted. I can.. almost taste it. Sunset's hair is doing the same thing as Celestia's mane, billowing and no longer entirely corporeal. Circe's more there, but… Things are shifting

"Any joy?"

Zatara's down to his underwear and while I can see his outline, it's like he's… There and not there? Whole and at the same time an exploded view? Doesn't look comfortable, but it also doesn't look like he's turned into an insect.

It also doesn't look like something that can be applied en masse. I didn't recognise twenty or so of the insectoids we threw into containment, and I'm confident that when we take a roll call we'll find at least that many people missing.

I hate feeling… Powerless.

Sunset and Circe stand up. I raise my eyebrows.

"Is he still human?"

He… Looks human, but I'm aware of a wide variety of techniques which can be used to 'bypass' a failing human body. Vampires -for example- usually have bodies that are sufficiently corpse-like that they are immune to a wide variety of biological substances. For fairly obvious and frankly nightmarish reasons we haven't experimented with that here, but there might be some necromancy-related way to prevent biological contamination.

"Oh, yes." Circe nods confidently. "He should probably avoid using more than minor magics for a week or so while his body stabilises, but he will remain human."

I nod. That's quite a relief. "Can the technique you used work for anyone else? We've got more people who've been infected-."

"Ah." Sunset stumbles a half-step before Circe takes hold of her to support her. "I-. Thanks." She smiles at Circe. "I don't think so. Not unless they're half-transformed magicians. And given how fast it goes…"

I nod. "Is that a matter of time, or is the limitation inherent to the technique?"

"It…" As she considers the idea her hair drops down to its normal level of animation. "Might be something we can adapt. Eventually. I'd need to.. study the other insectoids. The fully transformed ones."

That's… Yeah. The insectoids were always a liability, but now they've actually cost us. And useful as Sunset is as a part-time teacher and general researcher…

"Yeah. If Circe can spare you, I'd like you to coordinate with Cranius on studying the insectoids. Questions are going to be asked about this, and if we want Cranius's work to continue I'm going to need to convince our friends in government that matters are in hand."

Sunset nods, then looks at Circe. Circe nods with obvious reluctance.

"Your absence will be a blow, but Grayven is correct. This seems like just the thing that could make someone in General Lane's position nervous."

I hold up my right hand. "There's no need to rush. I'll get Cranius to get you access to Uncorporation's research records. They'll need a few days to start rebuilding at the very least before you'll be able to do anything on-site."

"If you can get me some blood, tissue and venom samples then I can get started right away."

"No, you can get to work on designing the workroom and automata you're going to use to interact with those samples. I expect-. I'll be talking to Scott about getting New God level biofilters installed and you're going to have to learn how to interact with them."

Sunset puts her right hand on her right hip.

"Grayven, I interacted with that… Stuff, on a level even you can't comprehend. I know how dangerous it is and I wasn't about to slack off on the safety precautions. I also know how… Horrible it is to get mutated by it. It wasn't just the changes you could see; it was already changing his.. brain."

I nod. "And that's why I'm insisting on extraordinary precautions." I kneel down to bring our faces closer to level. "I'm not accusing you of sloppiness or foolishness. But I care for your wellbeing, and these things are extraordinarily dangerous. Please, for me?"

"Oh." She blinks. "Um. Okay. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with something based on radiological handling protocols. If it's… That important to you."

"You are."

I might be pushing things here, but she's been in combat and just saved the mind of her best friend's father. I smile hopefully and spread my arms.

She rolls her eyes, but she steps forward and tolerates me hugging her-.

"Okay, that's enough. Don’t make this-" I open my arms and she pulls away. "-weirder. Maybe you should… Spend less time around ponies."

"No, my relationship with Luna won't work if I don't accept her culture as she accepts mine."

Circe looks mildly affronted. "Do you have a hug for me as well?"

I shrug and open my arms again, causing her to huff and ignore me to hug Sunset. Sunset goes along with it, then her eyes widen in mock-horror.

"Did I just.. get adopted?"

"The other side of me thinking that Celestia's not good for you is that I think we are." I rise to my feet. "Now run along, Sunset."

"You know?" She raises her hands. "I'm just gunna do that. Mother Box, hush tube."

"Ping."

Sunset walks into thin air and vanishes.

"She took that well." Circe glances at me. "I had thought that she might blow up at us."

"She's come a long way, emotionally. Some ponies are just born to be shaved monkeys." I sigh, looking around. And then down at Giovanni. "I'll take him home. Could you please get started at the wards?"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Dawww, that was sweet!

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Totally! Did you see it squirting blood from it's eyes? Adorbs! :3

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ya think.

Not completely sure if paragon Adom is the same, but I think he may not care as much as renegade Adom does about revenge, maybe due to Paul being very good at therapy and having him adopt less violent methods of doing things or him just not being in the company of ruthless people like the New Light.

He may still try to kill Shazam if he sees him, but I don't think he's actively seeking him, at least from what we've seen so far.

And at least if he kills Ahri'ahn he'll be removing a destructive threat.

Shazam is at least doing things that benefit the world, like empowering Billy and keeping whatever monsters he has on the Rock of Eternity locked up.

Most people feel the same way.

But paragon has.

Not with Un-Men and vampires together, but he has at least done some experiments with vampires.

'you'll be'

Come now Sunset, there's no shame in affection and showing someone you care about them.

No!

The less of an asshole he is the better.

Such a considerate man.

When he's not being an asshole.

'open'

Somewhere out there a therapist is very happy since he will now make a fortune trying to fix all the issues this crazy family will have.

And it's going to be a long, long attempt at fixing them.

Though it may be difficult to see because of the bitchyness.

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Depending on the version, Superman's 'heard' things while in deep space. Near perfect vacuum, and likely at least an AU away from the source.

He's held conversations while at super speed with Flash and Captain Marvel.

Trying to explain kryptonian biology in a logical and rational sense will drive you as mad as a hatter.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good gods, nature comes up with some bizarre ideas, even for surface life. Though that is quite the effective delivery method for a bio-hazard contaminant... Anton Arcane may have been a sick monster, but he was a genius too...

Let's... Hope not. It might be nice to have some small measure of victory in this thing.

Besides Giovanni. And if Circe and Sunset have done well, he doesn't count...

Old-fashioned heroic bonding over wrangling monster insects. How manly.

As I noted yesterday, a Loki put it best: "A good sorcerer makes himself very hard to kill." From the.. Sandman comic, I think?

This is the problem with the way he freed Adom in this timeline. Paragon got Adom to let go of his anger towards ol' Jeb as part of reclaiming his divine gifts. Renegade Adom didn't have that self-reflection...

As in, appearances outside Kahndaq make certain people very nervous? Very much like his comics self there...

And have the ladies managed it, I wonder. Almost certainly, since they'd have alerted Grayven if it went bad...

Heh. less need of the mage-sight goggles, eh, Grayven? One upside to spending that time in the future, then...

...Ouch. And I doubt they were all Un-Men, either. But if they can slowly change them back, one at a time if need be, the process can hopefully be taught.

Not an uncommon sentiment, Grayven, especially in this universe. That's why you seized all those power-ups, if nothing else.

Ideally, still thinking human too. Last thing they need is him waking up and going all '24 Days Later'. Maybe he'll have learnt a lesson about proper defensive equipment...

Ha! Turn him into a zombie until the insect plague dies off, then revive him. That's a Grayven plan if ever I heard one. The hard part would be keeping his soul attached, though.

A matter of minutes in some cases, from the looks of it. We can but hope it only works on humans, at least.

Preferably from a very safe distance. In an off-world facility on a dead rock, I would think. Seriously, if just one Insectoid got away...

I can see some very pointed question being asked, yes. And the concern that at least one rogue agency or super-terrorist organisation will have throbbing evil-boners over the concept of the Insectoids...

In other news: The sky is blue, grass is green and water is wet. :rolleyes: Any more obvious things in need of statement, Circe?

:eek: No. Nonononononoo. The last thing you want is any part of them offsite. Hell, they need to be off-planet themselves ASAP. It's not like Cranius can't ask for Boom-tube access to them for his research, after all.

It might be a bit awkward for her without actual New God divinity, but she's smart, she'll work out something to make it work. Assuming her Alicornhood doesn't provide her similar powers.

And that is why I was worried about his state of mind. I seriously hope they sorted that shit out for him. And, aww, he does care.

Hmm... Has the Paragon shown this much Violet towards people other than Jade, Alan and maybe Kon? Yet another divergence between them, then... I suppose him being able to see people's emotions makes it harder to get close...

Aw, don't be shy, you sweet filly. You know you enjoy the attention.

Besides, we all know he's a Brony deep down. Not the hardest of hardcore fans, with all the illogicalities of the show, but that doesn't need to stop you enjoying it.

x3 Oh, look, they've bonded over making fun of Grayven.

Don't push it, 'Daddy'.

Off to do Science! to Magic some more, and get away from all this schmaltz...

And do call if Arion the Elder shows up again. I doubt he's given up entirely on the Un-Men... He's gotten the initial anger out of the way, next will come the cold hatred...

Well, it wasn't a total shitshow. They might have ideas to revert the Insectoid transformation now. Circe got to make a showing as a hero. Maybe now Giovanni will learn not to go into a hot combat zone wearing a tuxedo, no matter how good the defensive enchantments on it are... On to the debriefings...

Gilhelmi, BR549, Vorian and 8 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, renegade just locked Theo away.

Hell why does it have to be rogue.

Plenty of government agencies have done horrible shit and were given approval.

Honestly surprised they didn't do this in the first place.

Maybe the other members of the Team.

A good way to bond.

9. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Aww, that's heartwarming.

Besides, what good is family if you can't bond over shared trauma?

Just in case it needs to be said, I am joking.

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm surprised it's taken her that long to notice, she's been living in Grayvens house for how long now?

11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Is she experientially/emotionally young enough to be considered a teenager (that is to say, having maturity roughly equivalent to teenage humans)?

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the cartoons she's still a high school student, but if memory serves Zoat made her an adult here in WTR.

Prince Charon and DAT_NOOB like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If he did that then she may just be a young adult, so not too far off from being a teenager.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

I think you're misremembering. What I said was that given how Sunset looked when she went through the mirror compared to how Twilight looked at the time, then comparing that to how they both looked when they met, if time was moving at the same rate on each side then Sunset was going to high school in her twenties.

In this, Sunset is in her late teens. Roughly the age Twilight was when she moved to Ponyville.

15. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

He didn't though. Adom became 'unchained' from his anger, but explicitly refused to let go of it.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's less focused on revenge compared to renegade Adom.

At least from what we've seen so far.

17. asparagus

asparagus Know what you're doing yet?

He's not as obsessed with it, but if a button appeared in front that says "press this to kill the wizard" he would only stop and think if it's a trap, not whether he would want to.

18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Then again Shazam is a horrible person who has done horrible things in the name of a greater good.

He chose well on the Captain Marvel, but when it comes to his interactions with others he makes Batman look diplomatic.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Depends on the version at least.

In the comics I don't really think Shazam did anything that would make him seem unreasonable. But I'm not that familiar with the character compared to others so I may be wrong.

Though he does appear to be highly mistrustful in this story.

And in the comics Adom was much more brutal and ruthless compared to the one in this story, when he wasn't outright evil and power hungry, so it's understandable why he would be against Adom in the comics.

And the Batman in this story and the source material, the YJ cartoon and tie in comics, is reasonable and fairly diplomatic.

20. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

I never really understood the whole Black Adom is a monster thing. From the Wizards point of view, any ways. If you give someone power, and then tell them to protect the world, THEN get upset when they do so in accordance to their own peoples nature and culture, you are the one who made the mistake by not explaining what, exactly, is acceptable. Not the one who protected his people by killing his enemies in accordance to his cultural standards.

Prince Charon and Caerwen like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Depends which version of Black Adam we're talking about. If Jebediah made it clear which methods were acceptable at the start then his actions are a little more reasonable.

His judgement would still be highly questionable.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Shazam may have actually explained what was acceptable.

Adom used his powers to fight monsters and evil wizards, but for otherwise normal things, like bandits and invading armies of mortals, he fought using his mortal abilities.

This could have been something Adom chose to do, or something Shazam asked for.

The reason Shazam betrayed Adom was because he may have believed Adom broke their deal on not misusing his powers for conquest.

I think Adom told Paul that he and his companions, like Rama Khan, started accepting other nations as vassals because they protected them from supernatural or non mortal threats and Shazam saw this as Adom misusing his powers for personal gain and conquest.

Yeah he was wrong but if this happened then it can explain why he thought Adom was misusing his powers.

This is me just theorizing here, so I may be wrong.

23. Mr Zoat

That's basically what happened in this story. It isn't what happened with any of the comic incarnations that I'm aware of.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Why did Adom work for Jebediah anyway?

I know why Billy works for him, Jebediah gives him his powers, or at least plays a major role in that.

Adom on the other hand gets his powers directly from the gods and doesn't use the Wizard as a connection to them like Billy does, at least in your story, in the comics I'm pretty sure it's completely different.

I'm thinking that maybe Adom chose to work with or for the Wizard since the guy used to be a former champion like he is and he thought he could use some pointers on how to do things and master his powers.

Also having an extremely knowledgeable and powerful wizard as an ally may have been nice.

Is this why Adom worked with Shazam in your story?

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Jebediah arranged the empowerment, even if the power wasn't directly coming from him. Plus, he people were primative enough that Jeb looked like a god, and bad things happen when you argue with those.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I thought Blaze was the one that helped Adom do that?

Unless Jebediah told her to do it after he failed to get Adom to use the power of the gods that empowered him and thought another person may be more suited to getting him to accept a similar offer.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Using local gods was Blaze's idea, but Jeb was the one who madae it happen.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Didn't you said it was his daughter that actually made the deal, not Shazam? And when he asked the Gods to take the power back they ignored him?

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She apparently guided Adom through the process by bringing him to their temples but Shazam actually negotiated the deal with the gods.

Don't remember the part about him asking them to take away his power and being ignored.

I think he trapped Adom in his body because he was worried Adom could convince his gods to resurrect him if he went to the afterlife so he made sure he didn't go there.

As to how he did that even though he wasn't channeling the magic himself, well Jebediah knows the spell of empowerment so he probably had some control over it, even though he may have lacked as much as he had over Billy.

Plus the guy was an ancient and powerful wizard even back then.

30. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Superforce?