1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Pretty sure she didn't.

Paul said the recruitment with her failed... I think if we see her it will be as a green lantern or a yellow lantern after her dad recruits her.

moralrelativity likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat mentioned something about Paul leaving the ring with her and she eventually decided to use it to help people.

Don't remember when he said this, just that he did.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I remember him typing the same thing.

So if it's a delusion, at least it's a shared delusion. :)

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They're the best kind!

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Everything is better if it's with friends.

Or strangers on the internet in this case.

6. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

:( :( :(

7. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

seconded

Actually, on the discussion of whether it's disruptive to have other versions of Paul interleaved with each other, my two cents: I trust that there are often things about them that offer interesting commentary or backchannel ways to think about each other, even when they don't necessarily directly interact. I'm generally interested in stories about how people with power decide what to do with it in different circumstances, and these offer other avenues to see that, in similar ways that fanfic of other works can. Look, I have read/am reading many works in progress by many different authors. Just about all of whom post a chapter here and there much further apart than Mr Zoat. I've grown accustomed to switching between stories that are somewhat related to each other by virtue of being in the same fandom, and needing to keep track of differences in order for the one I'm reading at any given moment to make sense, re-reading bits preceding the one(s) posted most recently as necessary. I'm fine with a structure to this thread in which Mr Zoat has bits from various alternates put in where he sees fit.

Power rings
    I lift my left

Fellow, Lord Ernest, Mr Zoat and 4 others like this.
  8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Lord 34.

9. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

And we, his loyal disciples.

Milf 5:5 The lewd shall inherit the Earth.

10. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Should the first few references be switched to Vulcan as the Roman God of Forge and mechanic? It seems odd that the SI would switch names mid-conversation and not explain who the second chap is after explaining the first.

11. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

Well of course! He is both a superhero and a protagonist. It is practically a contractual obligation. :p

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  12. HatsAreHats

HatsAreHats Wears sunglasses at night

What robot-y characters haven't showed up yet, hmm... Cyborg Superman's head is hiding in the engine.

13. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

How come Vulcan doesn't have an Italian pseudonym?

14. Mr Zoat

I think that's thirded, actually.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Hephaestus is the forge god of the SI's religion, but Vulcan knows more about cars.
    Seth Lans.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Remember that Legion Of Superheroes villain who is a troll and takes control of tech in the past? I think it may be this one.

That would also explain the lack of traces as his tech is freaking amazing for doing the temporary control thing even by Legion of Superheroes standards.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  16. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

At least he didn't use Nimoy.
    then again DC doesn't have Star Trek so the joke wouldn't work.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was that sci fi show that Beast Boy starred in during season 3 of YJ, so there may have been a version of Star Trek at least.

18. Mr Zoat

Thta guy sounds interesting. Who are they?

19. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

That's what I thought, but it seemed odd that after suggesting Hephaestus and explaining who he was, he immediately said he was calling someone else without further comment or explanation. Did Lantern Rrab already know about Vulcan and his affinity for cars but didn't know about Hephaestus?

It's fine if the follow-up questions and answers happen off screen, but the script writing seems like it assumes Lantern Rrab has the same information as the player regarding Vulcan, but not Hephaestus. Giving Hephaestus extra name-drops seems like blatant game dev favoritism, even it's not his quest mark.

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's not what killed them. What killed them is the subsequent water damage.

Cars

21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

No clue, I am not tracking that issue of Superman again, but is most likely Computo since if it was Brainiac there would have been more effort to catch him instead of the guy just basically trolling the Legion and Supermam and taking control of a few planes.

Heck C.O.M.P.U.T.O. (Cyber-cerebral Overlapping Multiprocessor Transceiver-Operator) is basically like an annoying teen if you think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computo_(comics)

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Computo

Edit: Yeah; it was Computo.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  22. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Agreed.

But even though I understand why Dox is there, it still don't believe for a single second that if Dox ordered OL do to something he very much did not want to do, or tried to steer the corps towards something OL did NOT want, that OL wouldn't just slap him down.

Are they though?

Because in the few snippets we've had of Dox actually doing shit, he's been....well shit at it. Either OL has to prod him towards things that apparently Dox cannot see. Or OL has to step in and take over for Dox.

Like, I get that OL doesn't think he can run an entire corps, and moreover, doesn't want to be bogged down by doing so when he could go out and play. But I view Dox more as a Tony-Pepper situation from the MCU. Dox runs the day to day boring bullshit, but ultimately, OL is in charge.

Secondly, if someone can just roll up and kick your ass/kill you. You aren't really in charge of shit, even if you are "Better" at being a leader. I know that's very primitive thinking....but its true.

Not only is OL more powerful, but he's also more personable. I can EASILY see the members of the OLC liking Para-Paul a lot more than they do Dox.

Honestly, at this point, I view Dox less as a person/character, and more a device for Zoat to have to keep the OLC off screen. Which there is nothing wrong with. I mean, canonically, the GLC has a character for just that as well.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

I agree. At this point it has been over a year. Either he is in charge or he isn't. Batman doesn't have this problem because Superman exists. Or Aqualad with Paragon himself.

The solution isn't to send him somewhere else. Cause looking from the outside, it looks Dox is wasting a valuable resource to be petty because he is worried about his position. The correct way to enforce the hierarchy is for people to see Paragon obeying Dox.

If the issue is that Paragon doesn't obey Dox, doesn't that kind of signify that Dox isn't actually in charge?

Really I don't get the hard on for having Dox in charge. It just seems like his hard on for recruiting the Tamaranians or Soranik. Just building a collection of comics characters he likes. Dox doesn't actually seem more competent than any other commander and has a host of issues he is dealing with.

I think a better hierarchy would be having SI as a sort of symbolic monarch akin to the Queen of England who chooses the Prime Minister to get things done. It seems more natural to me that leadership of the OLC should belong to the enlightened, Paragon and the Controllers. Especially given the focus on philosophy for a stable corp.

Structuring it like a military is just asking for trouble, he really should focus on developing the core of the corp which he has neglected and left to Dox. The only real competent ones are the ones Paragon has trained and taught. There isn't a rush to beat the Reach, they operate on a massive scale.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  25. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

Orange lanterns can't do things they do not WANT. Must make running that show a lot like herding cats. Dox would know that ordering one to do something they really 'do not want to do' is futile.

26. PKRudeBoy

PKRudeBoy Making the rounds.

Dox is in the unenviable position of knowing that he is in charge of the OLC precisely until he and Paul have an irreconcilable difference of opinion on a major issue. His solution is making sure his nominal subordinate is off doing things he enjoys, preferably as far from HQ as possible. This is complicated by the fact that Paul’s significant other is a member of a closely allied organization reporting to the same people he does and the fact that he pals around with people like Hinon and Kalmin.

Ngamer11, ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I think you need to pick your pony and stick with it.

As opposed to thinking one would be better than the other guy, the then recommending the guy you decided not to go with.

Ok, I've got to say, this whole subplot you invented here, is rather stupid.
    This is because one of the things someone (cough it was you cough) used to harp on about is how a power ring is the greatest tool in the universe.

Remember how he showed up and fixed his body at the start of the story? And his ring was able to to that because power rings do in fact have really good scanning abilities magic notwithstanding, and the ring had basically scanned the entire planet, and the humans theron, to build up the database necessary to find out what healthy was and meant.

And also, how there are in fact very few Malthusian Guardians left, and so if there is something that is going to happen a lot, like scans of every new member to build a baseline, it would be really simple to just have the ring to that thing automatically with the high tech scanning apparatus rings do in fact have for information gathering and investigations and shit.

Like this thing was brought up when OL was destroyed, along with his rings and the data he had on them, like previous medical records.
    Where the problem was never not having the medical records, it was not having done a data backup to the OLC central servers.

Which was rather stupid, but also not a problem the GLC would have. Because the GLC does have central servers, and rings that keep in contact with it. And reports that get filed with it. The upside of a Bobbleheaded Malware culture.

So there would be no need for her to remark about a separate examination that 'happened first thing when she got to Oa' because she is wearing a Clarketech scanning device on her finger. That could have scanned her in depth as soon as she was chosen to establish a baseline, and continue to monitor her for developing issues.

And most races that are around, have been around. And hardly any have anti scanning protections. Any race that has encountered a GL before, scanned and on the database, and downloaded onto the rings of those GL who operate near them.

Medical checkups are not something that would be need to be scheduled any more than appointments to upload a new recruits language into the system would be. This could all be handled in the background only brought up if an issue arose.

So what's going on here Mr Zoat?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Chaoswind like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Green rings don't handle automation well. Using the green light requires mental focus. A green ring won't scan someone in detail unless the wearer tells it to, and it's ability to do anything about the results is dependent on their ability to mentally picture medical devices.

29. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I thought this story had been going under the assumption the GL rings and the OL rings had the same scanning systems. Integrated hardware that doesn't actually need emotional use, like the language function and basic environmental/flight aura. And that is one of the reasons the basic scan is so easy to shut down with magic tracings. Because it isn't affected by the 'Stronger emotion = stronger output' the normal combat ring usage is.

That when OL basically downloaded the all the computer data in one of the timelines to take down the League of Shadows/Assassins the GL members could have done the same easily. And the fact the League had been around so long is basically counted as a government and doing was OL did was against the rules, as the reason they didn't.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Then that literally means that Dox isn't in charge. If he can't order OL to do something that he REALLY believes is something that needs to be done, then he's little more then OL's secretary.

Like, I understand why OL insisted on being the number 2. The problem is, at the end of the day, he really isn't. A Founder vs CEO situation.

The Unaligned Player likes this.