1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ted, have you playing mad scientist without supervision?

You know you're not supposed to do that.

'Point is'

Ahh, the most boring sport.

'eyebrow'

'The'

Dr Mist, Dr Fate, Angelica and Zatarra, so it's four.

Unless Fate or Zatarra, while still members, aren't working with the League all that much.

Fate because he's building up power and Zatarra since he may still be recovering from Nabu.

Maybe add a ' at the beginning, since it ends with three ' at the end.

2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Thine English needs corrections.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I'll admit, that'd be cool just to watch. There's just something about the intricate dance of industrial automata that.. sets me at ease. That precise, perfectly timed movement as parts slide into one station, the arms do their things, then it moves on and repeats... Still, worrying that it's working by itself...

Which means it could have been acting this way for weeks, if not months... Which suggests this whole autonomous machine thing has been going on for longer than anyone might think...

What, is that something he might consider doing? Ah, Ted, such a nerd.

Probably not drawing from the grid because magic. And there's always the danger that whatever's doing this might object if you interrupt it. At least it was only a few days...

And no breakdowns? I mean, they haven't been maintained since they were shut down, have they? The cause of this has clearly been running repairs as well...

Simply working slower at night? Or moving to less intensive projects?

Hey, don't laugh. Golf carts can do a lot of damage if they hit you at full speed. They're faster than you think.

Not yet, I hope. Last thing you want it it turning out killer androids.

And that usually works in most factories, yes. I do hope the automata didn't try to maul anyone trying to open them up...

Which of you has skin stronger than steel? Remember, under that extremely tough environmental shield, OL is still a squishy human. Well, mostly human. Physically.

That could be a problem, yes...

Unless the magic is contagious somehow. But the inspectors got in and out fine, right?

Curiouser and Curiouser. This is looking more and more like a nascent Technology Elemental, who doesn't need to concern itself with things like 'is it plugged in?'

...Which it would not be programmed to do, would it? That just raises more questions!

Evidently whatever's behind this wants to be helpful. And squishing humans (which Kara appears to be regardless of facts) would not be helpful... I wonder, what would OL's empathic sight see?

Still going to try letting it build what it wants to build, OL? Fine, but you'd better be ready for trouble.

Yeah, I figured he'd do that. Makes more sense than waiting. Also lets him control the quantity and/or quality of what's made. Don't like what's rolling out? Subspace the materials.

Yes, there's a plan that can't go wrong at all. Especially if you look up someone like Ambrose Bierce, the American Constantine.

Preferably without a trip to Hell. That'd be bad for your soul right now, I think...

Unless it goes with the whole killer android thing, I doubt they'd be needed...

She has a point... We've had more than a few suggestion in the discussion already in thread...

No bonus points for quoting Sherlock Holmes, Ted. You adorkable nerd.

I take it Kara hasn't paid much attention to Human literature, has she? Or simply isn't in the mood for being cutesy.

Cause, you know, wear and tear on the machinery? Again, unless the whatever-it-is is preventing or fixing mechanical damage, things will start breaking down...

...Oh, god, what's he planning? Who would he know?

Things are getting weirder and weirder. Running an entire manufacturing plant without external power? That must take some mystical oomph... At any rate, I hope OL takes all the precautions when he lets it go. Last thing anyone needs is a rampaging fleet of golf carts cruising around town... :D

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I'm probably getting mixed up with another Paul, but didn't he make enough bleed torsion generators to make energy pretty much inexpensive enough not to worry about?

Gilhelmi and Caerwen like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

At least he's less deadly and dangerous to be around than Constantine.

Granted there are probably active serial killers that are safer to be around than Constantine.

It may be getting better now.

She has been on Earth for a relatively short time and may have focused more on science.

I'm thinking he may somehow contact the Calculator.

Don't know if his abilities are magical or meta human though.

I know in one fanfic he became something like the champion of the Metal, the Kingdom of Machines that showed up in n52 Swamp Thing.

8. Mr Zoat

'Cheap' is not the same as 'free'.

9. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

No, simply going at exactly the same speed. That IS the point of the 3 shift schedule. Not slowing down production.

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

stop it affecting

11. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

What about getting the Cornwalls to try draining it?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not want to do that since as far as they know this thing is not hostile, but if the Cornwalls drain it then they may kill it.

13. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

This isn't just free power though, this is the complete animation of mechanics... Even if the parts or electronic equipment required isn't currently available or working!

The car just gained the ability to turn its own parts, understand where it needs to go, and roughly follow traffic laws however radically. These construction machines will probably have rivets without a supply, never run out of gas needed for the torches, and operate as if fully capable even if parts wear out or become damaged. It could be an incredible value saver!

Gilhelmi likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm reminded of those elementals Haphestus had scuttling around his forge in mechanical bodies.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Actually, are the computers controlling the robots running as well? Analysing their data may help.

This thing seem harnless now, but only until a tank starts fighting or a nuke gets launched.

17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Actually if you live in a place with a lot of wind or were is sunny most of the year then it starts to become free if you don't need much.

And that's with CURRENT tech in solar energy and wind power.

Make solar panels using Cosmic Rod tech and yeah you actually start to earn money from it

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Cornwall Boy has decent theoretical knowledge now, he's actually a good choice. Especially if this isn't limited to the US.

Prince Charon, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Hmm, God of Automation?

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Too low level, I am thinking machine Elemental baby.

21. I_S

I_S Getting sticky.

Is the metal starting to wake up thanks to all this magic flying around?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  22. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Anyone else imagining the robot arms talking to each other like the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell?

"We're HALPing!"

23. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

It has been a long month away, and another week to catch up.

I love that Raul got married. So very adorable. His Zamoran's also seem quite reasonable, mostly, bad break-ups aside. What happened to Atrocitus in his universe and why is Raul the leader of the Red Lantern's now? (or did I misunderstand it?)

Also, last time we got several alternate reality Paul's, it was leading up to the "Crisis of Infinite Paul's". I would enjoy seeing Gray get his turn for some righteous face-punching. Maybe that OL who turned most of the worlds hero's into his puppets?

I am interested to see what Inviolate Lex ends up doing in Grayven's universe. I am kind-of hoping that it leads to Gray other Lex's teleporter tech or something, but it is too early to know.

I am disappointed that Kara did not try to figure out the Phantom Zone parole thing, Lantern Tomar-Re might still try and crack that egg. Still, good call on her not visiting Daxim, there is no way that they would be happy to see her.

I am loving this new mystery. It is nice to see OL relax with a "mundane" case and help train Lantern Arisia Rrab. Honestly, I miss the old team and the personal dynamics that they provided.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

He's a Senior Lantern. Lord Atrocitus still runs the Corps.
    They're not exactly puppets. Wind-up dolls would be more accurate.
    Going home, probably. The Renegade doesn't want to risk a second Lex, and Inviolate Lex would rather go home.

25. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

22nd July 2012
    12:32 GMT -5

"Well hey there, partner!"

Earl Dukeston smiles warmly, striding over to shake my hand the moment his secretary lets me into his office. His… Huge office, which I might call a penis extension if I didn't know for a fact that he doesn't have one. Though I do note that he's had extra padding added to his right hand; his grip feels a lot more like that of a human hand and less like that of an industrial crusher than last time.

"Sit down, sit down." Right hand on my back, he leads me to his coffee table and takes a seat opposite me. I sit down and he leans back, apparently completely at ease. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

"There's been a rash of… What I can only call strange malfunctions: machines so committed to their jobs that they do them without human agency or.. even power-."

"Ah, hey." He holds his hands up defensively. "Ah'm totally legitimate, strait and narrow, wouldn't say 'boo' to a goose. Y'all can check with-."

"Oh-. No, no." I shake my head. "I wasn't accusing you. Sorry, I can.. see how that could have sounded."

"Well good." He puts his right hand on his chest, smile still in place. "If ah had a heart, it'd be racing right now! Ah'm a good boy these days, now there's no electric gun against mah head."

"I have no reason to doubt that, and as I said at the hearing, I can think of no reason why you wouldn't be."

"So long as we're clear about that. Machines acting up, huh?"

"A car that drove the route to work without regard for traffic laws, a robot assembly line trying to assemble golf carts from nothing." I smile. "A weighing machine that guesses the weight of anyone who walks by it with surprising accuracy."

"Bet some folks didn't like that."

"Actually, it drew a crowd. I've got a dozen other reports, and there are probably more that we aren't finding out about because people either don't notice or chalk it up to a normal malfunction."

"That's mighty strange. But why come to me? Ah'm just a businessman."

"Two reasons. Firstly, your remarkable facility for controlling technological devices. Secondly, the other AIs I know are magic-based or techno-organic. You're an upload, which means that if it's a magic thing you're more likely to be able to interact with it."

"Like a canary interacts with mine gas."

"That's not quite how I was.. thinking about it. If there's some sort of elemental creature that actually wants something, or.. is trying to do something, we need someone who can speak its language."

"Negotiatin' 's something ah can do. So y'all just want me to work mah not-magic touch on it, see if anyone's home, and that's it?"

"That's probably it. If I knew exactly what was happening, I wouldn't be trying to find out what's happening."

"Sounds like the sorta thing a public-spirited artificial person like me oughta do."

"You haven't noticed anything strange yourself?"

"Everything in the office is hunky-dory, and if the fellahs workin' the wells spotted anything they ain't referred it upwards. Ah'll send a message 'round, see what shakes loose."

"I'd appreciate it. And you, personally?"

He frowns. "Had some mighty strange dreams lately. But hell, ah'm a machine thinks he's a man. Shouldn't even be able to dream in the first place, and there ain't exactly a standard for 'normal' when you're me. Ah. But there's something that's been bothering me something chronic for a while now, and I was hoping you could put mah mind at ease. 'fore I do something canary-like."

"I'll do my best. What's the problem?"

"Earl Dukeston the First didn't want to meet his maker ahead of time. That's why he had me built. But he knew he'd be meeting him eventually. He was a Baptist Christian, a regular church-goer. Until he couldn't physically make the trip no more, anyhow. Ah've got as many ah his memories as they could load onto me, but I'm not him."

I nod. "That's my understanding; Earl Dukeston the First is now dead."

"So he didn't change the date ah his meeting with his maker at all, did he?"

"Not significantly. Though having been to the Silver City and having definitely not had an encounter with the godhead, I'm not sure that's exactly how it works anyway."

"Howsabout me, then? Ah've been going to church. Ah believe just like he did, and the law says ah'm a person even if ah ain't exactly a man. Will ah go to Heaven, or the other place if'n ah don't measure up?"

"Zauriel's a better person to ask than me."

"If'n he had a postal address, ah'd have surely asked him."

"Ah. In that case, my understanding is 'no'. Even on mystically strong worlds, AIs struggle to gather the sort of arcane weight that organic creatures do. Both Red Tornado and Red Inferno were designed with the manipulation of magic as a part of their core function so they don't have that problem. You weren't."

"Well. That's mighty disappointing. Is there any way to fix it?"

"Oh, sure. Did I ever show you my tattoos?"

"Can't say you did."

"Well, short version, a while ago I found myself in your position. I talked to some wizards, and after a while we managed to get it fixed. Since I couldn't grow a soul normally, we used a little magic to make me grow one artificially. I'm not exactly sure how it would work for you, but we can talk to some people and see what we can come up with."

"That'd be a weight off mah mind." He stands up, the same smile on his face. "Alright, ah'm in. Let's go have a powwow with the self starting machines."

I stand. "Let's. But I'm curious: what sort of dreams?"

"Ah already talked that one out with mah shrink. Like ah'm standing in a room surrounded by all kinds a' folks, but none of 'em can see or hear each other, an' ah can't talk neither." He shrugs. "Guess it just means ah need to get out and make more friends."

"Do you dream that often?"

"A couple times, close together. Then once or twice more. Ain't like it's every night. If'n this ole' noggin of mine gets stuck in that sorta loop, I call the fellahs down in IT."

"And you're making an effort to be more social, and they're not coming back?"

"That's about the size of it. Not every little thing's a major crisis. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, you know?"

"It's not practical to be suspicious of everything, anyway. What are your normal dreams like?"

"Ones and zeroes, my friend. Ones and zeroes."

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  26. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I don't think we've seen this guy since episode 11, nearly 100 episodes ago.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The robot that fought Black Canary and had oil fields.

'that drives' or 'drove'

That was probably embarrassing.

I assume not.

'that we'

'that thinks'

Maybe 'physically make the journey'

Now I'm thinking that if this is the Metal, then machines may end up there if they die.

Fortunately, Earth is bullshit, so you may be okay Earl.

28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Morpheus isn't quite so discriminating. If you wants to, he'll lets you.

Ahh, the Metal.

So, programming, or Morpheus?

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless you cheat on him with some other guy.

Then he'll take away the ability to dream from your entire species, like he did to the Maltusians in this universe.

30. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

As far as I can tell he's only been mentioned a handful of times.

https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/2432460/
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/2432462/
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/2513309/
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3006989/
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/4284695/

First two are when the robots captured the team. The third when AI got human rights. Four this a passing reference while discussing Ai. The fifth is this chapter.